Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,556 members, 7,820,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:20 AM

Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? (7824 Views)

Truck Falls On Okada At Oshodi-Apapa Expressway (Photos) / Okada-Man, Student Crushed By Trailer In Benue (Graphic Photos) / Okada Rider's Head Bursts Open As He Collides With Containers In Lagos (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by blablabla(m): 8:42pm On Aug 11, 2006
personally I think the Lagos state government has lost it,
the okada man is a neccessary evil,
it would take at least 10 years of high grade urban planning and provision of massive employment opportunities to take the okada man out of our streets.
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by Radiant(f): 1:11am On Aug 13, 2006
lol, okada man no deh hear word o, law or no law, okada riders will never obey!, dem be sharp sharp guys grin
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by Odeku(m): 11:07pm On Aug 22, 2006
so since they don't obey the law what do we do with them, just leave them alone or control them? remember this are people we all know, this are our family members, friends as well.
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by ladykool(f): 4:25pm On Aug 25, 2006
OKADA SHOULD NOT BE BANNED PLZ O! when you are going to an appiontment and there is traffic, just simply enter okada and you will get there before you know it. when i went to lagos once and there was traffic i was forced to enter okada but i had no choice cuz i couldnt bear the traffic! so they shouldnt banned OKADA!
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by Radiant(f): 1:32am On Aug 26, 2006
Nigeria: Restriction on Motorcycle Operators
Vanguard (Lagos)

EDITORIAL
August 24, 2006
Posted to the web August 24, 2006

THE restriction on commercial motorcycle operators commonly known as okada riders is spreading among states of the federation- with some justifications. Earlier on, Delta, Enugu, Imo and Rivers States government have clamped down on okada riders because of what is considered their 'increasing nuisance value".

The latest restriction came from Lagos State government that banned okada riders from operating between 7 pm and 6 am everyday. "Security statistics emanating from the public have indicated a sharp rise in the incidence of robbery, crime level with the aid of motorcycles as a get-away vehicle" were cited as the reasons behind Lagos government's decision. Violators of the order will be liable to a punishment of N50,000 and seizure of their motorcycle
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by Odeku(m): 5:34pm On Sep 26, 2006
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by ayomajek(f): 10:49am On Mar 20, 2007
If they ban okada how will people get around? The ridiculous price of petrol has driven bus and taxi fares through the roof and Okada is the most affordable option now. And that is apart from the fact that you can avoid traffic and get to certian inaccessible areas on okadas.

They have even started using them in the City of London, because traffic is so bad and all the bigshots can't get to their meetings on time . They call them executive bikes and they are way expensive.
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by matsumoto(m): 4:43pm On Apr 27, 2007
placing a restriction on okada operatoions from 7.pm was one of the most stupid things the last administration ever tried out and here we "went" again!!!!! the BRT fiasco, well they are still on it really seems like these guys have never ever heard of something called a road map.they just wake up this morning and BANG, we want to build a statue of liberty or the recreate the hanging gardens of babylon, why? cos wewee just want to replicate what obtains in other parts of the world, well we will siddon look em again and see how well this one works out,
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by JOSEPHOKO(m): 2:51pm On Oct 22, 2009
GUYS OKADA SHOULD NEVER BE BANNED IN NIGERIA OTHERWISE IT IS GONNA BE HELL ON MOST OF OUR ROADS ESPECIALLY IN LAGOS WHERE U CANT GO TO WORK IN A BUS OR CAR UULESS U AR PREPARED TO BE LATE angry
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:09am On Sep 13, 2011
Yes, Okada should be banned in Nigeria.

I know a greater percentage of Nigerians are advocates, and feel travelling within some remote areas would be hell, but look at things this way.

If there were no Okada's from the onset, people would still have travelled within rural areas, where the roads are really bad. As humans, we adapt, so we would have found a way. It's more to do with Nigerians generally being resistant to change, once an easy way exists, it's hard to imagine life without it.

The carelessness of Okada riders has been well documented, I would say the greater percentage of them have never attended any form or riding proficiency, or completed a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training). A driving license exists for a reason. They are daredevil, and ride like they're invincible. Well reality check - no one is immortal. My wife has had two Okada-based accidents, both where the rider rode dangerously. One went between two cars, there was no space, and he crashed. The second went round a corner way too fast, despite my wife telling him to slow down, and rolled the bike. My wife suffered exhaust burns on her leg on both occasions. It could have been worse, not everyone has been so lucky.

In my opinion, there are more reasons why Okada should be banned, and less why it should be allowed. Those that say it can't be banned in Nigeria are thinking the typical Nigerian way. Anything can be banned, and actively enforced. If offenders have their bikes seized, and crushed, believe me, the ban will work. Oshodi market had a longer history than Okada, and many believed it couldn't be closed down. What happened? It was bulldozed. Did the message eventually get across? Yes. Can the same work with an Okada ban? Yes.
Re: Should Okada Be Banned In Nigeria? by femmy2010(m): 2:26pm On Sep 13, 2011
I do want their operation verz well controlled but banning them?Oh No.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Want To Buy My First Car, I Need Sincere Advice / Russian President's Car Is The Real Bomb! (photos) / The Honda Crosstour Is Dead - And No True Car Guy Will Miss It!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.