Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,805 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

Why Nigeria Was Able To Beat Ebola, But Not Boko Haram - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Nigeria Was Able To Beat Ebola, But Not Boko Haram (1217 Views)

"DSS Has Proven That I'm Not Boko Haram's Sponsor" - Ali Modu Sheriff / Kano Mayhem: Soldiers, Police Killed Civilians, Not Boko Haram – Shekau / 13 Igbos Murdered In Mubi Were Killed By Their Kinsmen, Not Boko Haram! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Nigeria Was Able To Beat Ebola, But Not Boko Haram by atlwireles: 10:12pm On Oct 14, 2014
For Nigeria’s embattled government, October 20 is a date worth circling on the calendar: That day will mark 42 days since Nigeria’s last confirmed Ebola case, which, at twice the 21-day incubation period, will allow the country to declare itself free of a disease that has ravaged its West African neighbors.

Tuesday, Nigeria reached a milestone it would much rather ignore: Six months ago, militants from the terrorist group Boko Haram kidnapped 276 schoolgirls from the country’s Chibok region, and, despite a worldwide campaign to free them, 219 remain in captivity. While the kidnapping has attracted significant publicity—epitomized by the viral #BringBackOurGirls campaign on Twitter—violence attributed to Boko Haram has killed thousands in Nigeria’s northern provinces.

The contrast between the two anniversaries raises an uncomfortable question: Faced with these two enormous crises, how has Nigeria handled one so well and the other so poorly?

"Ebola impacts everyone. It doesn’t have ties to particular sects or groups."
One major reason is Nigeria’s political geography, which, throughout the country’s post-colonial history, has caused so much turmoil. A country of some 170 million people split into numerous ethnic and linguistic groups, Nigeria has struggled to bridge the gap between its relatively affluent Christian south and its poorer Muslim north.

Boko Haram, whose name roughly means “Western education is a sin,” has exploited this divide. The group largely operates in Nigeria’s three northeastern provinces, all of which are controlled by the opposition All People’s Congress (APC) party and where distrust of President Goodluck Jonathan’s government runs high.

“A lot of people in northern Nigeria are, in fact, disgusted with Boko Haram,” Rudy Atallah, a senior fellow at The Atlantic Council and an expert on Nigeria, said. “But because the population of the North has felt neglected by the South for so long, many of them view Boko Haram as an able body fighting against the government.”

By contrast, when Patrick Sawyer, the Liberian-American man who tested positive for Ebola, arrived in Lagos, he found himself in a city equipped with West Africa’s most advanced health-care infrastructure as well as the headquarters of many multinational organizations. And, unlike the fight against Boko Haram, combating Ebola transcends ethnic, political, and religious divisions.

“Ebola impacts everyone,” Atallah noted. “It doesn’t have ties to particular sects or groups.”

The next inflection point in Nigerian politics may come next February, when the country chooses its next president. Having served two terms, Jonathan will not be eligible. But a victory by his People’s Democratic Party, which has governed Nigeria for 14 years and whose voter base resides in the south, may exacerbate the already fierce regional divide in the country, as well as make the search for the remaining 219 hostages even more difficult.

theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/10/why-nigeria-stopped-ebola-but-not-boko-haram/381442

MATT SCHIAVENZA revisit Nigerian civil lesson.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Able To Beat Ebola, But Not Boko Haram by DrMuzoic: 10:26pm On Oct 14, 2014
Just in case
Re: Why Nigeria Was Able To Beat Ebola, But Not Boko Haram by Nobody: 10:57pm On Oct 14, 2014
DrMuzoic:
Just in case
joins him
Re: Why Nigeria Was Able To Beat Ebola, But Not Boko Haram by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 11:13pm On Oct 14, 2014
Pls if dont have anything to comment dont book space
Re: Why Nigeria Was Able To Beat Ebola, But Not Boko Haram by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 11:13pm On Oct 14, 2014
Pls if dont have anything to comment dont book space,it is annoying
Re: Why Nigeria Was Able To Beat Ebola, But Not Boko Haram by Nobody: 11:14pm On Oct 14, 2014
One is a national problem...the other is a regional problem. Govt never takes regional problems seriously

When Boko Haram claims territory within the FCT...then it becomes a national problem
Re: Why Nigeria Was Able To Beat Ebola, But Not Boko Haram by Interim: 5:36pm On Oct 15, 2014
Firstly, obviously Ebola is a disease and Boko Haram is a movement so really comparing them doesn't make sense. Maybe a comparison of Boko Haram to other militant movements in existence now is more of a correct comparison to make because they also haven't been stopped.

Secondly, Boko Haram and the reason why they have come to existence is not being discussed as much as stopping them is being discussed and the root to the problem in my opinion is understanding the root to Boko Haram and their creation. Also they have supporters, Ebola doesn't have supporters which allow it to evade capture. They are also being demonised in the media (rightly so for some of their actions) which is making them even more radical.

“But because the population of the North has felt neglected by the South for so long, many of them view Boko Haram as an able body fighting against the government.”

This for me is the reason why I think Boko Haram hasn't been stopped. The Federal Govt needs to involve northern states a lot more, if the north feels neglected and see a band of militants fighting for them, of course they will support them if they feel their own voices aren't being heard. If the government doesn't make more of an effort to have people's voices heard groups like Boko Haram will rise again, people need to feel they are represented especially if we're going to claim to be a democracy.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Able To Beat Ebola, But Not Boko Haram by atlwireles: 5:45pm On Oct 15, 2014
Interim:
Firstly, obviously Ebola is a disease and Boko Haram is a movement so really comparing them doesn't make sense. Maybe a comparison of Boko Haram to other militant movements in existence now is more of a correct comparison to make because they also haven't been stopped.

Secondly, Boko Haram and the reason why they have come to existence is not being discussed as much as stopping them is being discussed and the root to the problem in my opinion is understanding the root to Boko Haram and their creation. Also they have supporters, Ebola doesn't have supporters which allow it to evade capture. They are also being demonised in the media (rightly so for some of their actions) which is making them even more radical.

“But because the population of the North has felt neglected by the South for so long, many of them view Boko Haram as an able body fighting against the government.”

This for me is the reason why I think Boko Haram hasn't been stopped. The Federal Govt needs to involve northern states a lot more, if the north feels neglected and see a band of militants fighting for them, of course they will support them if they feel their own voices aren't being heard. If the government doesn't make more of an effort to have people's voices heard groups like Boko Haram will rise again, people need to feel they are represented especially if we're going to claim to be a democracy.

What is different from a Northern state as compared to the Southern states, that requires more federal involvement. The last time I checked they all attend the same FAAC meeting.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Able To Beat Ebola, But Not Boko Haram by DONGOYARO1: 5:50pm On Oct 15, 2014
atlwireles:

What is different from a Northern state as compared to the Southern states.
The difference is that they are more PDP Governors in the North than they are in the south. The North is PDP's stronghold
Re: Why Nigeria Was Able To Beat Ebola, But Not Boko Haram by Nobody: 6:04pm On Oct 15, 2014
It makes sense to compare both as they are both national emergencies and both detrimental to national security

It is also true that Boko Haram has festered because of sectional divide while it's easy to confront Ebola with a united front!

But I reject the writer's view that the South is richer than the north. Since independence the north have benefited from government more than the south east but the decision to go round blowing up people in the name of God is a question of choice!
Re: Why Nigeria Was Able To Beat Ebola, But Not Boko Haram by lilprinze: 6:22pm On Oct 15, 2014
Why we are finding it difficult to conquer BH is because we are not united if everybody was united the way we were to fight Ebola by now BH would have been history.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Able To Beat Ebola, But Not Boko Haram by atlwireles: 6:41pm On Oct 15, 2014
DONGOYARO1:
The difference is that they are more PDP Governors in the North than they are in the south. The North is PDP's stronghold

You have to follow a comment, before you jump in to spread junk. Now go suck your feeding bottle.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Able To Beat Ebola, But Not Boko Haram by Interim: 7:53pm On Oct 15, 2014
atlwireles:

What is different from a Northern state as compared to the Southern states, that requires more federal involvement. The last time I checked they all attend the same FAAC meeting.

I said they required more representation, not that they didn't go to FAAC meetings. Maybe the politicians that are representing them aren't doing enough and this is a manner in which they are voicing their displeasure with this? Clearly a sizable amount of the population (not all or by any means the majority) feel that their voices and ideas are not being heard.

Also, the reason I said more federal involvement comes from the fact that Southern States do not have a problem with militants of this nature recently that I know of (please correct me if I'm wrong). This is very important reason for federal involvement, leaving these states to themselves doesn't seem to have helped. I'm not saying that these northern states should lose their autonomy, I think that they need to have their voices elevated for the time being.

When religion is made political it never ends well for anyone, I just hope that we can not only stop Boko Haram but stop something like this from happening again.

I honestly am not saying this is the only way, this is just all I can think of and it's not like any politicians are asking for my opinion.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Able To Beat Ebola, But Not Boko Haram by Francis5: 7:56pm On Oct 15, 2014
The next inflection point in Nigerian politics may come next February, when the country chooses its next president. Having served two terms, Jonathan will not be eligible

@bolded, how so?
Re: Why Nigeria Was Able To Beat Ebola, But Not Boko Haram by atlwireles: 8:12pm On Oct 15, 2014
Interim:

I said they required more representation, not that they didn't go to FAAC meetings. Maybe the politicians that are representing them aren't doing enough and this is a manner in which they are voicing their displeasure with this? Clearly a sizable amount of the population (not all or by any means the majority) feel that their voices and ideas are not being heard.

Also, the reason I said more federal involvement comes from the fact that Southern States do not have a problem with militants of this nature recently that I know of (please correct me if I'm wrong). This is very important reason for federal involvement, leaving these states to themselves doesn't seem to have helped. I'm not saying that these northern states should lose their autonomy, I think that they need to have their voices elevated for the time being.

When religion is made political it never ends well for anyone, I just hope that we can not only stop Boko Haram but stop something like this from happening again.

I honestly am not saying this is the only way, this is just all I can think of and it's not like any politicians are asking for my opinion.

Honestly, I have always thought, the northern political leadership is not doing enough, spreading the little earnings states get from the center and help in developing, at least to the level in the south, the social infrastructures.. The federal government will and cannot take over this role.

There used to be militants in South where I come from, actually there are still militants. But to a certain level, the leadership here, controls their madness. Something totally missing in the north. How can youths from villages and communities get out of control, where a local chief or Iman cannot call them to order?

The federal government can help put certain mechanism in place, but the grunt work has to be done by the local political and religious leadership in northern Nigeria. Parents cannot run away from their responsibilities and ask the government to take it over.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Able To Beat Ebola, But Not Boko Haram by Interim: 8:29pm On Oct 15, 2014
atlwireles:

Honestly, I have always thought, the northern political leadership is not doing enough, spreading the little earnings states get from the center and help in developing, at least to the level in the south, the social infrastructures.. The federal government will and cannot take over this role.

There used to be militants in South where I come from, actually there are still militants. But to a certain level, the leadership here, controls their madness. Something totally missing in the north. How can youths from villages and communities get out of control, where a local chief or Iman cannot call them to order?

The federal government can help put certain mechanism in place, but the grunt work has to be done by the local political and religious leadership in northern Nigeria. Parents cannot run away from their responsibilities and ask the government to take it over.

Yeah, I think the federal government needs to put the mechanism in place. I also think that the blame should not be put on parents, it has nothing to do with them and everything to do with members of this group. The government must take it over, this in my opinion is absolutely not the work of the parents or even the jurisdiction of parents. They have breached the law therefore the government must take over, it is their job, these are their citizens.

The local chief or Imam cannot bring them to order because the problem is too big to be brought to order and before it seems like nobody cared enough to listen, but now everyone is listening. I don't like the mix of politics and religion, it's very dangerous and if you look at places like India it is the cause of so many wars. Boko Haram use religion in a political manner, I don't want the government mirroring this. Politics should exist outside of religious boundaries and remain secular especially in a country like Nigeria with some many different religious groups.

The work should be done by local and regional government and the federal government needs to give them the money and infrastructure instead of the entire country following the west by waging a war on terror because that's not the problem. The problem is alienation. Give the youth a forum to speak and interact with their government at all levels so they don't feel isolated. This shouldn't be so hard, right?

The involvement of young people in politics is so essential, not just in the northern states but everywhere.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Able To Beat Ebola, But Not Boko Haram by atlwireles: 8:51pm On Oct 15, 2014
Interim:

Yeah, I think the federal government needs to put the mechanism in place. I also think that the blame should not be put on parents, it has nothing to do with them and everything to do with members of this group. The government must take it over, this in my opinion is absolutely not the work of the parents or even the jurisdiction of parents. They have breached the law therefore the government must take over, it is their job, these are their citizens.

The local chief or Imam cannot bring them to order because the problem is too big to be brought to order and before it seems like nobody cared enough to listen, but now everyone is listening. I don't like the mix of politics and religion, it's very dangerous and if you look at places like India it is the cause of so many wars. Boko Haram use religion in a political manner, I don't want the government mirroring this. Politics should exist outside of religious boundaries and remain secular especially in a country like Nigeria with some many different religious groups.

The work should be done by local and regional government and the federal government needs to give them the money and infrastructure instead of the entire country following the west by waging a war on terror because that's not the problem. The problem is alienation. Give the youth a forum to speak and interact with their government at all levels so they don't feel isolated. This shouldn't be so hard, right?

The involvement of young people in politics is so essential, not just in the northern states but everywhere.

To a certain level, the problem in some parts of Northern Nigeria are inter generational. Parents have a huge role to play here, I'm not even talking of boko haram. Returning back to your first comment, that prompted my reply. The issue is about development and the lack thereof. The issues are education, healthcare and our over consumption of religion, mostly in northern Nigeria.

The federal government cannot solve this problems, families, community leaders and then political leaders from the north, must take the leading role. The Nigerian federal government has done less in south than the north in last 54 years of this country, this statement is a fact. Families remain the main reason, why the average kid, teenage and young man/woman in any state or community in the South, keeps fighting tool and nail to escape poverty and all that it brings. The federal government has always been secondary to that effort.

Boko haram is just the manifestation we have today, if this generation follows the same structural paths as the Shekaus of today, then we will keep having this drama every couple of years. That's why, I want families to take their rightful places.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Able To Beat Ebola, But Not Boko Haram by Interim: 9:20pm On Oct 15, 2014
"The issue is about development and the lack thereof. The issues are education, healthcare and our over consumption of religion, mostly in northern Nigeria."

I really agree with this and I agree with the idea that families are essential. Politicised religion is harmful, religion in itself plays a role in community that I have no problem with. The government has to bear the responsibility as well though and a lot of it. If families are so effective, then what is the need for a government? Do you see my point, what about people with no families? Families that are unable to make that fight out of poverty? Families that are completely unhelpful? The government has more of a role to play because we cannot pick our family but we pick our government.
Re: Why Nigeria Was Able To Beat Ebola, But Not Boko Haram by atlwireles: 9:38pm On Oct 15, 2014
Interim:
"The issue is about development and the lack thereof. The issues are education, healthcare and our over consumption of religion, mostly in northern Nigeria."

I really agree with this and I agree with the idea that families are essential. Politicised religion is harmful, religion in itself plays a role in community that I have no problem with. The government has to bear the responsibility as well though and a lot of it. If families are so effective, then what is the need for a government? Do you see my point, what about people with no families? Families that are unable to make that fight out of poverty? Families that are completely unhelpful? The government has more of a role to play because we cannot pick our family but we pick our government.

Couple of years back, when I use to reside in the United States, I remembered a great slogan used by Bill Clinton.Opportunity for all, responsibility from all, a community of all ..... That's where, we all need to head in this great country.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

President Jonathan Picks PDP Nomination Form / My 3 Points Agenda For Akwa Ibom - Hon. Imeh Bishop / Raid On APC Building: DSS Alleges Centre Used To Clone PVC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.