Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,654 members, 7,820,276 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

"Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? (36792 Views)

Why Hameed Ali Is Yet To Report At Customs- Daily Trust / 2015 Jonathan Rally: Enugu State Government Declares Thursday Work-free Day / Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Sanmix2007(m): 9:32am On Oct 15, 2014
I think noise pollution is very hazardous to our health and nothing ll happen to anybody if we don't blast our horn today
lets make history happen
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by kbabajide(m): 9:33am On Oct 15, 2014
yea i notice frm ikorodu to oyingbo
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by pheesayor(m): 9:37am On Oct 15, 2014
There was enlightenment, on radio, tv and even social media
whirlwind7:

The answers to your first 2 questions are yes and yes. May seem unbelievable, but if you have ever lived for a period of time outside Nigeria, you will understand.
The enlightenment part is what I can't vouch for, but if LASG can keep this up, perhaps even dedicate one day in every month to observe a "no horn" day, the trend will gradually catch up, until it becomes a part of the diving culture here.

The key word is PATIENCE.
Many people tap the horn button for no good reasons: saying hello to a friend while driving by, trying to get the attention of roadside hawkers, letting the driver ahead of you know that he's too slow for your liking...the list is as endless as it is unnecessary. Almost everyone on Lagos roads go through moments of madness between the hours of 6am till 11am, then from 5pm till about 10pm. We are all in a hurry to get to work, and then get home afterwards. These irritating horn sounds peak within these periods and it can be very annoying.

2 Likes

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by kbabajide(m): 9:39am On Oct 15, 2014
drivers flash dere full light instead of horn
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Noxidi(m): 9:40am On Oct 15, 2014
kr0ne:
No be only horn free, na Humphrey. Go 3rd Mainland bridge and see danfo drivers blasting horns and trumpets. There are things u can stop in Lagos, but not this one

funny tin
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by dammytosh: 9:41am On Oct 15, 2014
Horn free ko.

I don blast horn tire inside traffic.

With all this mad BRT and Bus Drivers.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by mayorall(m): 9:42am On Oct 15, 2014
less noise today

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Luminary1(f): 9:42am On Oct 15, 2014
abatically:

My guy it is very safe. They are not trying to say the horn should not be used at all, but it should only be used when absolutely necessary, that is the moral. People in Nigeria use their horns as if it is a toy, unnecessarily. The world would be a better place when people start driving with their mind open and not by honking their horns every second. U hear people blazing horns in traffic, at hospitals, in schools and estates. This is an enlightenment to let people know it is possible to drive without the horn, I do it several times.

We keep saying Nigeria is bad, yet when we go to other countries we abide by their rules. I have driven for 3 months outside Nigeria without using my horn and I can tell u it was so peaceful . So why can't we do the same thing in our own country.

GOOD COMMENT.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by deucelaw: 9:43am On Oct 15, 2014
PAnaceA7:
Clueless govt dishing out shitty policies... Instead of dem to get their priorities right first

It's not a law or policy sir.Nobody gets arrested for honking.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by huptin(m): 9:45am On Oct 15, 2014
[quote author=Tinubu post=27156100] angry e no concern me.... Free flow of traffic over here in Gwoza[/qu

this is very funny!!!!
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by PAnaceA7(m): 9:45am On Oct 15, 2014
abatically:

My guy it is very safe. They are not trying to say the horn should not be used at all, but it should only be used when absolutely necessary, that is the moral. People in Nigeria use their horns as if it is a toy, unnecessarily. The world would be a better place when people start driving with their mind open and not by honking their horns every second. U hear people blazing horns in traffic, at hospitals, in schools and estates. This is an enlightenment to let people know it is possible to drive without the horn, I do it several times.

We keep saying Nigeria is bad, yet when we go to other countries we abide by their rules. I have driven for 3 months outside Nigeria without using my horn and I can tell u it was so peaceful . So why can't we do the same thing in our own country.

Bros....... The traffic congestion in Lagos is very alarming...... Outside here(abroad) there are good road networks coupled with the fact that the people would be driving with an open mind not the many we have here dat are driving out of frustration.
You can't even move from egbeda to ikeja without using ur horn even though on a normal day it's not meant to take you up to 20mins.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Nonye362: 9:46am On Oct 15, 2014
Horn-free-day my foot. I know it was nt ganna hapn. see ple blastin lik usual. Abeg Fashola dnt say wat u kno u cant implement cos wit wil b used against u in d long-run. I neva notice any chamge in d horn stuff.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by dottiekay(m): 9:46am On Oct 15, 2014
Horn free day in Lagos state,sorry to say''it cannot happen''not in Lagos.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by WhyNa: 9:46am On Oct 15, 2014
Lawanson to Apapa, 8:30 to 9:00am. High compliance fron the drivers. Im actually suprised. There are a few, very few defaulters and then no compliance at alll from aboki bike men in Apapa. They even horn to get your attention and ask if you need a bike.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Nobody: 9:47am On Oct 15, 2014
Presently around ajah roundabout..horn free day ke? Come and see where blaring of horns dey do competition, you sef wey wan cross road go confuse
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Nobody: 9:47am On Oct 15, 2014
Obinoscopy:
Is it possible? Is it even safe? Was there enough enlightenment? These are the questions rummaging through my mind.
I got banned by antispambot this morning for quoting someone. Is there anything wrong in quoting someone? I didn't use any abusive word per se. Please unban me. Thanks.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Obinoscopy(m): 9:51am On Oct 15, 2014
SmellMyFart:
I got banned by antispambot this morning for quoting someone. Is there anything wrong in quoting someone? I didn't use any abusive word per se. Please unban me. Thanks.
Done. You can always send me a pm if such occur in the future.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Nobody: 9:52am On Oct 15, 2014
Obinoscopy:
Done. You can always send me a pm if such occur in the future.
got it. Thanks
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Gooci(m): 9:52am On Oct 15, 2014
OkikiOluwa1:

Can there be a Horn Free Day in Nigeria?
Horn is a Driver's toy in Nigeria
Last Bullet
The is even called hoot, mot horn!

noted sir... shocked

1 Like

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by sandee575(f): 9:56am On Oct 15, 2014
Remove horns from vehicles and Lagosians cannot cope with driving anymore.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Tolubory(m): 9:58am On Oct 15, 2014
#LagosHornFreeDay will never work in Lagos I
have heard a lots of horn This morn.
@oshodi
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Sanguine77(m): 9:59am On Oct 15, 2014
Here in Ikeja, motorists use their horn moderately. Some people are aware of the horn free day while others are not. I think the essence is to introduce some level of sanity on Lagos roads and reduce noise pollution minimally. The sad aspect will be Lastma using it to fleece ignorant motorists.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by tuffgongjo(m): 10:02am On Oct 15, 2014
austinbrown:
Not possible, so if I horn wetin go happen
Sambisa straight.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by deeman12: 10:04am On Oct 15, 2014
Lagos ukwa!

The City that never Sleeps!!!

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Darey00(m): 10:04am On Oct 15, 2014
My danfo driver was in a fight with the passengers over transport fare so he blasted his horn for 10 mins straight to irritate them and other ppl at a roundabout in Mangoro,Agege.. there goes our horn free day lol
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by abatically(m): 10:10am On Oct 15, 2014
PAnaceA7:

Bros....... The traffic congestion in Lagos is very alarming...... Outside here(abroad) there are good road networks coupled with the fact that the people would be driving with an open mind not the many we have here dat are driving out of frustration.
You can't even move from egbeda to ikeja without using ur horn even though on a normal day it's not meant to take you up to 20mins.

First of all, the traffic in NYC is more alarming than in Lagos. Even Los Angeles, Kuala Lumpur, Beijing and gouzhou China has worse traffics and yet people abide by the rules. Zhengzhou city has over 220 million registered cars. I have driven in Lagos for weeks without using my horn, so YES it is very very possible.

The thing is people use their horns for no reason. Let me ask u, what do u gain from honking ur horn at the person in front of u in a slow moving traffic when it is obvious that person has no where to go to. Do u expect him to jump or disappear from the road so u can pass. Even if he manages to 'disappear', the person in front of him and the person in front of the person in front of him Will not.

2 Likes

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by Smoj(m): 10:14am On Oct 15, 2014
IF I HEAR......
My boss don use horn like 100 times in d last 30minutes. If u need to drive safely in Lagos, u will need ur horn. Horn free day ko, horn blasting week ni.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by komek(m): 10:17am On Oct 15, 2014
Obinoscopy:
Is it possible? Is it even safe? Was there enough enlightenment? These are the questions rummaging through my mind.

Same thing I have been telling people.
And I hope they will not be any penalty for people who may not remember or people who some circumstance would make them forget that its supposed to be a horn free day. Anyway, to me that project is a total nonsense.

1 Like

Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by steve308(m): 10:18am On Oct 15, 2014
lol grin if i hear no difference oo
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by dustydee: 10:19am On Oct 15, 2014
deor03:

It is possible. I drive for days in Lagos without horning

Flashing of full light is more effective

Horn is actually for prompting animals and extreme cases
In the UK flashing your full light may be a traffic offence - it is seen as intimidating other road users.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by dustydee: 10:25am On Oct 15, 2014
UnimkeAk:
Driving without a horn is not possible anywhere.
Make 1 mumu danfo come scratch my G55 wagon..
The devil is a liar.

Which kind mumu idea b diz frm brain dead pple.
It is very possible sir. The horn was not intended for use the way we use it in Nigeria. In advanced countries, it is a traffic offence to use the horn indiscriminately especially in residential areas. You are only allowed to use the horn to draw the attention of other road users to you if you percieve that they cannot see you and may hit your car(maybe while reversing or entering a road). To say it is not possible is not entirely correct.
Re: "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? by goshen26: 10:25am On Oct 15, 2014
is motorcyclists included, cos they can't do without horn.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Etiedu Ukpong Attacked By Thugs Over Facebook Post Against Emmanuel Enoidem / Benson Abounu Leads Night Surveillance At Entry Points Into Benue State / FFK: Tinubu Will Not Get The APC Presidential Ticket In 2023

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.