Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,744 members, 7,820,565 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:15 PM

Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance (6844 Views)

Who Amongst These APC Candidates Should Replace Audu In The Dec 5 Supp Polls? / "Horn Free Day": Lagosians, What's The Situation Report At Your Place? / 2015 Jonathan Rally: Enugu State Government Declares Thursday Work-free Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by naijaforlife: 5:32pm On Apr 13, 2012
May I humbly know the opinion of Nairalanders on my thoughts about changing Nigeria's weekend to Friday and Sunday in order to ensure religious balance. It would appear that we have achieved similar balances on some other issues with Muslims copying the christians or vice versa. Examples are issues bothering on pilgrimage to holy lands,religious organizations like the red cross and red crescent, public holidays, national religious centres, appointment of co-secretaries at the last national confab, armed force remembance day, etc. Just curious to know your views. No abuses please!
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by vowiski(m): 5:42pm On Apr 13, 2012
You serioulsy need to get a Nap, this is the most arrogant suggestion I have seen in weeks..

3 Likes

Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by ektbear: 8:11pm On Apr 13, 2012
So friday and sunday off, but work on saturday? lol
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by Ganys: 12:20am On Apr 14, 2012
I know this kind of thread wont gain traffick, anti islam on nairaland have nothing to say on this...Nigeria......what a secular nation indeed
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by KnowAll(m): 12:59am On Apr 14, 2012
There is no point in taken off or not working on Friday & Sunday. We should take d 3 days off, that is Friday, Saturday &Sunday. Mondays and Tuesdays businesses and even Govt, & Banks should stay open from 7am to 10pm thereby making up for Friday's day off.
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by Nobody: 8:24am On Apr 14, 2012
Everything should not be viewed in such religious prism. Imagine how absurd it will be to not work on friday,work on saturday and not work on sunday. Why don't we just replace saturdays with tuesdays.
The best thing to do is for Government to mandate a short working day on fridays. 8-12 working hours.
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by strangerf: 8:28am On Apr 14, 2012
Very nice idea. I love it, doesn't make any sense though.
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by Callotti: 8:28am On Apr 14, 2012
Not necessary.
People have waaaaay too much time on their hands already.
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by Mynd44: 8:32am On Apr 14, 2012
Not a good idea. The adverse economic effect is obvious.
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by Nobody: 8:51am On Apr 14, 2012
islamic fundamentalist at it again.

What u should agitate for is the adoption of ISLAMIC CALENDER rather than the one we currently use.

Only God knows how some folks reason. virtually everywhere in the world same thing is being practised, but some folks wants a change. BS
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by freecocoa(f): 9:53am On Apr 14, 2012
So that what will happen na?

1 Like

Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by violent(m): 10:04am On Apr 14, 2012
why not change the weekend to Thursdays and Sundays since Sango worshipers do their thing on Thursdays? or do they not deserve to weigh in this "religious balance"?

It is stoopid thoughts like this that gives your brothers in the North more excuse to wrap dirty bombs in their caps! Islam nutters should get a grip already. why must we all keeping taking it in the ar[i]s[/i]e just for you to have your time? You have your own laws, your own banks, wtf do you want again? Your own calendar? You know what, Fu[i]c[/i]k You!

The calendar is what it is, love it or move to damn Venus!

9 Likes

Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by purefella(m): 10:05am On Apr 14, 2012
@ op you need injection

1 Like

Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by rman: 10:06am On Apr 14, 2012
toba: islamic fundamentalist at it again.

What u should agitate for is the adoption of ISLAMIC CALENDER rather than the one we currently use.

Only God knows how some folks reason. virtually everywhere in the world same thing is being practised, but some folks wants a change. BS

I hope you know the current practise is based on christian practise.
In some countires friday and saturday are weekends while people go to work on Sundays.

I am not saying things should be changed as it is in Nigeria, but your quick attack on the OP and Islam is wrong.
If we all preach religious tolerance as we pretend to do in Nigeria, both muslims and christians should look at issues objectively and analyze it based on its merits and fairness.
That, you have not done.

6 Likes

Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by luscioustrish(f): 10:09am On Apr 14, 2012
violent:

why not change the weekend to Thursdays and Sundays since Sango worshipers do their thing on Thursdays? or do they not deserve to weigh in this "religious balance"?

It is stoopid thoughts like this that gives your brothers in the North more excuse to wrap dirty bombs in their caps! Islam nutters should get a grip already. why must we all keeping taking it in the ar[i]s[/i]e just for you to have your time? You have your own laws, your own banks, wtf do you want again? Your own calendar? You know what, Fu[i]c[/i]k You!

The calendar is what it is, love it or move to damn
Venus!

[color=#006600][/color]
Exactly my tots,u just nailed it!
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by naijaforlife: 10:09am On Apr 14, 2012
But then since saturday work free is not based on either christianity Islamic worship day, can't Nigeria at least for once have our benchmark for the way we do our things in the context of local realities. When you benchmark against some other person's standard the best you can be is a second to the best. The tendency to link western ideas as if it is rooted in christianity at times makes me wonder.

1 Like

Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by ziccoit: 10:11am On Apr 14, 2012
Let start off work on Wednesday and Thursday. We shall then see how our noisemaker Christian neighbours would survive. Bunch of hypocrites.
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by ziccoit: 10:14am On Apr 14, 2012
naijaforlife: But then since saturday work free is not based on either christianity Islamic worship day, can't Nigeria at least for once have our benchmark for the way we do our things in the context of local realities. When you benchmark against some other person's standard the best you can be is a second to the best. The tendency to link western ideas as if it is rooted in christianity at times makes me wonder.

What is the difference? Both western cultures and christianitiy are human ideologies. Is Mr Paul the Bamptist no be the father of Christianity?
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by mujila: 10:16am On Apr 14, 2012
The Quran directed muslims to stop whatever they are doing to go to the mosque on Friday and thereafter continue their business. Muslims are not hindered from performing this act therefore to me there is no point on declaring Friday a work freeday! In fact some islamic schools have introduced lessons on thursdays and fridays in place of saturday and sundays so that the students can have the whole of the weekend off!

1 Like

Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by kutchs: 10:31am On Apr 14, 2012
@OP we dont need such suggestions at this time. We have had enof religion induced wahala and this is capable of igniting more.
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by chucky234(m): 10:33am On Apr 14, 2012
KnowAll: There is no point in taken off or not working on Friday & Sunday. We should take d 3 days off, that is Friday, Saturday &Sunday. Mondays and Tuesdays businesses and even Govt, & Banks should stay open from 7am to 10pm thereby making up for Friday's day off.
I am down laughing,banks open till 10pm? Robbers will not doubt have filled days,lol
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by naijaforlife: 10:36am On Apr 14, 2012
Thanks for all your comments. The intent of the post is just to gauge our religious tolerance and highlight the fact that until we play down on religious sentiments and make attempt to promote equity, excellence, and fairness regardless ethno-religious considerations; Nigeria's problems would persist. Good deeds and evil deeds have no gender, race, religion, or region. I remain naija for life. Proudly Nigerian

1 Like

Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by violent(m): 10:55am On Apr 14, 2012
rman:

I hope you know the current practise is based on christian practise.
In some countires friday and saturday are weekends while people go to work on Sundays.

I am not saying things should be changed as it is in Nigeria, but your quick attack on the OP and Islam is wrong.
If we all preach religious tolerance as we pretend to do in Nigeria, both muslims and christians should look at issues objectively and analyze it based on its merits and fairness.
That, you have not done.

What rubbish! If you do advocate religious tolerance, then you wouldn't have blindly suggested that there are only two religions in Nigeria. How about we base other things on fairness by completely scrapping the damn Sharia law and Islamic Banking system?
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by ckkris: 10:56am On Apr 14, 2012
Please don't forget Amadi Oha worshippers. They have four-day weeks, and seven weeks for one month of 28 days. Within the four-day week, two days are for sacrifices, Eke, day of creation. That's part of the combination form, Chineke. Next is Afor. The beauty is that this calendar is accurate to the lunar system. Then just share the oil money to more local governments. And looting continues. After all its not tax money to say anyone said for it. Oil money, discovered by white man, drilled by white man, shipped and paid for by them. Our own is to just share & loot the money, and throw some bombs in order to get more, AND WRITE NONSENSE ON WHITEMAN'S WEBSITE. God bless them.

2 Likes

Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by Kachi01: 11:23am On Apr 14, 2012
What a wonderful sugestion and entataining answers, the northern military rulers draged us into IOC, SLS introduced islamic bank, boko haram wants us to practice sharia system of govt where christians will be subdued and forced to convert to islam and somebody here wants us to change the oyibo man calender all in fevour of islam. All for the propagation of islam.
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by member479760: 11:24am On Apr 14, 2012
OP is under cheap gbanna!
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by llorisbhone(m): 11:25am On Apr 14, 2012
Well maybe we could just shift religion obligations to saturdays and then it will be well balanced. Either way foreigners have constituted more problems than solutions to Nigeria. Both religions are foreign so lets just stick to traditional worshipping
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by amosy007: 11:32am On Apr 14, 2012
vowiski: You serioulsy need to get a Nap, this is the most arrogant suggestion I have seen in weeks..
lmao
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by djosh4(m): 11:33am On Apr 14, 2012
ckkris: Please don't forget Amadi Oha worshippers. They have four-day weeks, and seven weeks for one month of 28 days. Within the four-day week, two days are for sacrifices, Eke, day of creation. That's part of the combination form, Chineke. Next is Afor. The beauty is that this calendar is accurate to the lunar system. Then just share the oil money to more local governments. And looting continues. After all its not tax money to say anyone said for it. Oil money, discovered by white man, drilled by white man, shipped and paid for by them. Our own is to just share & loot the money, and throw some bombs in order to get more, AND WRITE NONSENSE ON WHITEMAN'S WEBSITE. God bless them.
Chineke me! LOL
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by Ignatio(m): 11:37am On Apr 14, 2012
Very soon Boko Haram will start agitating for it.
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by bakila: 11:47am On Apr 14, 2012
toba: islamic fundamentalist at it again.

You are the fundamentalist bigot here. Islam, does not allow for a holiday of friday, all over the world muslim go to work on friday. By law saturday isnt public holiday but a work free day. Several official goverment businesses like judicial works do take place on saturfays.
The islamic calander is recognised in certian public holidays,.
Re: Friday Should Replace Saturday As Work Free Day To Ensure Religious Balance by highland(m): 11:47am On Apr 14, 2012
It is an idea, you can forward your suggestion to the house of assembly for consideration.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Strategies And Techniques Of Social Manipulation / Jonathan Orders rehabilitation Of Roads Nationwide Before Christmas / Nigeria’s Ports Record 59.5% Increase In Vessel Calls, 80.1% In Gross Tonnage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.