Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,563 members, 7,816,367 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality (37069 Views)

Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry / First Kaduna Oil and Gas Career Fair and Training (FREE FOR ALL) / How Easy Getting Oil &gas Career Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Feraz(m): 5:16pm On Oct 24, 2014
Truckpusher:
Op is a deluded fellow for thinking that Engineers in the Oil and Gas industry just sits in their offices doing nothing while the alerts keep coming.

The Oil and Gas Engineering jobs is a daunting task and requires you to be on top of your game every now and then as you would be working across the globe sometimes coming into contact and competing with people of different Nationalities and expertise and again the stress of working for an Oil and Gas major outfit is not for the faint hearted because for every kobo you get from them you probably worked your asss off to earn it.

When next you want to make your assertion, you need to do your home work properly before misleading the people in a public forum.

Nice write up though,but your insinuation about the Engineers in the oil and gas industry is the fallacy of the century.
Wow! I'm not deluded. I only used a case study about the mentality of many undergraduates in relation to the oil/gas sector and what they think happen in this sector. Correction noted all the same. Thanks.

Okijajuju, e remain you!
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Olaone1: 5:17pm On Oct 24, 2014
naijababe:

We don't have true leaders in Nigeria now, we only have charlatans and egomaniac and power drunk ar5eh0les angry sad
Trust me mama, people on the street are the same. Even those in churches/mosques. We are Nigerians

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 5:34pm On Oct 24, 2014
Olaone1:

Hmm. Maybe but not if bought up by ex-generals who know eff-all about it.

Lol.................even so, they want to make profits now. But then again, this is Nigerians we are talking about, every case study must always include the 'Nigerian factor' variable angry

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by akigbemaru: 5:36pm On Oct 24, 2014
Excellent thread. Nigerian engineers need to wake up!

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 5:37pm On Oct 24, 2014
Truckpusher:
Op is a deluded fellow for thinking that Engineers in the Oil and Gas industry just sits in their offices doing nothing while the alerts keep coming.

The Oil and Gas Engineering jobs is a daunting task and requires you to be on top of your game every now and then as you would be working across the globe sometimes coming into contact and competing with people of different Nationalities and expertise and again the stress of working for an Oil and Gas major outfit is not for the faint hearted because for every kobo you get from them you probably worked your asss off to earn it.

When next you want to make your assertion, you need to do your home work properly before misleading the people in a public forum.

Nice write up though,but your insinuation about the Engineers in the oil and gas industry is the fallacy of the century.

Y'all need to take easy on him, he alluded to his ignorance on the piece now. But he is correct in his assumption that almost all undergrads want to be employees of Shell et al

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 6:05pm On Oct 24, 2014
Very expository post. Didn't know someone has taken time to reason the very way I did especially the fact that there will be no modern life without without the concept of engineering. In third world like Africa engineering appears to be in its developmental stage and many areas of engineering is largely unknown and untapped...well no thanks to government and stomach infrastructural problem(no passion, everyone wants to work in Shell, Chevron etc).

Well nice one, I am not even an engineer, I am a lawyer even though I did some stuff about Energy Law in school. Good write up! I have already bookmarked it.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by youngice(m): 6:08pm On Oct 24, 2014
realpower32:
Hmmmm Op, I admire your courage, I will tell you something. If you are still in school ; start planning your business and get people to believe in dream. I appreciate your write up.

Besides, I left a Chevron job because I wasnt satisfy with their way of life. Its preditable, risky and monotonous in Nature.

I choose the way of entrepreneurship, I provide power solutions and alternative energy and am satisfied, am happy with your mind set,

May God bless you and inspires you more.

Tombs Up for you.
Your posted about being a power engineer please can I PM you so we will liase

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 6:47pm On Oct 24, 2014
Truckpusher:
The Government (Politicians) will never make policies that will reduce the interest rate to the single digits because they own the banks and wouldn't want too much money in the hands of the people.

If you have too much money in the hands of the people, the standard of living will improve for the masses so will other sector of the economy including education and once you have at least 80% of your population properly educated they'll begin to ask questions and demand for accountability which will give rise to a strong middle class with a voice and this is one thing that the criminal elites that are super rich do not want to see it happen.

Your analysis makes sense. If 70% of the youth are gainfully employed, and making good money, who will then be used as a thug?
Or who would be doing "rankadede" to a politician?

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Truckpusher(m): 6:49pm On Oct 24, 2014
Feraz:
Wow! I'm not deluded. I only used a case study about the mentality of many undergraduates in relation to the oil/gas sector and what they think happen in this sector. Correction noted all the same. Thanks.

Okijajuju, e remain you!
Your case study based on false information about Engineers in the Oil and Gas is a destructive one that would project the image of Nigerian Engineers in that sector that are undertaking back breaking jobs as lazy, gullible morons that only sits in their offices to collect fact allowances.

You think that these Oil and Gas majors are running a charity organization ? grin....smh

Go and stay in the offshore for two months then come and change your story or better still remain in the office and proffer a solution to a facility thousands of kilometers away with a boss that lacks simple patience and the entire team waiting for you to solve a problem that has no solution, then you'll understand that most Engineers and Managers in the oil and gas industries are drug assisted humans just to maintain their sanity. cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 6:51pm On Oct 24, 2014
Truckpusher:
Your case study based on false information about Engineers in the Oil and Gas is a destructive one that would project the image of Nigerian Engineers in that sector that are undertaking back breaking jobs as lazy, gullible morons that only sits in their offices to collect fact allowances.

You think that these Oil and Gas majors are running a charity organization ? grin....smh

Go and stay in the offshore for two months then come and change your story or better still remain in the office and proffer a solution to a facility thousands of kilometers away with a boss that lacks simple patience and the entire team waiting for you to solve a problem that has no solution, then you'll understand that most Engineers and Managers in the oil and gas industries are drug assisted humans just to maintain their sanity. cheesy

grin grin kiss kiss
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Feraz(m): 6:52pm On Oct 24, 2014
CFCfan:

Your analysis makes sense. If 70% of the youth are gainfully employed, and making good money, who will then be used as a thug?
Exactly. Imagine the number of direct and indirect jobs to be created just from the various fields alone like Agricultural Engineering etc., we won't be in this state we are in.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 6:56pm On Oct 24, 2014
Truckpusher:

he admitted being ignorant tho ... thats a good attribute , he should be sound upstairs .try and understand his point , each line of engineering has got its complexities , thats why we having more developments on cars , power , rail and every industry .... the mechanical , electrical , chemical , civil should see good in a diversified economy.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 7:02pm On Oct 24, 2014
CFCfan:

its a sad circle that needs to be broken for us to move ahead, these thugs are the ones who also think of becoming leaders tomorrow through politics ... because they feel its an easy way out of poverty ....... the average nigerian these days is just looking for where is green already ..... the fat allowances these politicians are entitled to is even a stop to our growth . the moment money stops to flow in from politics is the day credible individuals will start taking on the affairs of government.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Truckpusher(m): 7:09pm On Oct 24, 2014
naijababe:

Y'all need to take easy on him, he alluded to his ignorance on the piece now. But he is correct in his assumption that almost all undergrads want to be employees of Shell et al
In a society where ideas are shutdown before they even hit a runway, how do you expect a student that his or her parents went through hell to pay for school fees with all the unending strikes and all the brouhaha that follows the Nigerian education system to reject a job that doles out six figures in pursuit of an idea that would keep him constantly running after politicians?.

You must be kidding me grin

Take the gaddamn job and work on your idea ,this is called common sense. grin

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Feraz(m): 7:13pm On Oct 24, 2014
Truckpusher:
Boss, na wa oh!
1. Have you tried interacting with most undergraduates? Do you know most do not know what happens offshore or how the sector works? I said I referenced a case study (albeit informal) of the way most think and that is their thought process hence the little humour added to the write-up.
2. The above write-up was not meant to project the Engineers in that sector as lazy and gullible morons feeding fat on salaries doing nothing, far from it; of course, I know most work hard enough to earn what they do but I was only buttressing my number one point.
3. I also said and I quote 'for anything I am ignorant about in the above write-up, please, do correct me as I am still acquiring knowledge!'

As an undergraduate, I don't know all; infact, my current knowledge on various fields and careers is just a drop in the vast ocean of ignorance which is why I asked for the house to still educate me.
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Truckpusher(m): 7:15pm On Oct 24, 2014
majekdom2:
he admitted being ignorant tho ... thats a good attribute , he should be sound upstairs .try and understand his point , each line of engineering has got its complexities , thats why we having more developments on cars , power , rail and every industry .... the mechanical , electrical , chemical , civil should see good in a diversified economy.
Of course he is very sound and has a good attribute.I understood his points quite all right.

Never mind my diction ,it's my own way of expressing myself.

No hard feelings - One love grin
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Truckpusher(m): 7:19pm On Oct 24, 2014
Feraz:
Boss, na wa oh!
1. Have you tried interacting with most undergraduates? Do you know most do not know what happens offshore or how the sector works? I said I referenced a case study (albeit informal) of the way most think and that is their thought process hence the little humour added to the write-up.
2. The above write-up was not meant to project the Engineers in that sector as lazy and gullible morons feeding fat on salaries doing nothing, far from it; of course, I know most work hard enough to earn what they do but I was only buttressing my number one point.
3. I also said and I quote 'for anything I am ignorant about in the above write-up, please, do correct me as I am still acquiring knowledge!'

As an undergraduate, I don't know all; infact, my current knowledge on various fields and careers is just a drop in the vast ocean of ignorance which is why I asked for the house to still educate me.
It is ok brother.

No hard feelings anyway - You're a good boy grin
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 7:32pm On Oct 24, 2014
Engineer my foot. Engineer what? Where many Nigerian engineers are working in banking and financial firms because most indigenous engineering company pay chicken feed. Do you know some engineers with first class bsc are still jobless. Some engineers earn as low as 50k after all the wahala. Someone was now lucky to get into oil and gas that pays 700k per month and u think his innovative mind wont activate.

All this undergraduate and freshly graduated engineers sha. You will soon get the gist in a while.
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 7:33pm On Oct 24, 2014
Truckpusher:
In a society where ideas are shutdown before they even hit a runway, how do you expect a student that his or her parents went through hell to pay for school fees with all the unending strikes and all the brouhaha that follows the Nigerian education system to reject a job that doles out six figures in pursuit of an idea that would keep him constantly running after politicians?.

You must be kidding me grin

Take the gaddamn job and work on your idea ,this is called common sense. grin

grin grin grin Reality bites!!!
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by ukandi1(m): 7:34pm On Oct 24, 2014
bushdoc9919:

@the bolded...when last was a graduate in Islamic studies or Christian religous knowledge our leader?

(And before you call Obasanjo...OBJ was an army engineer long before he enrolled to read CRK at NOUN.).

And the reason why you engineers have been sidelined in this country is because we are a country with a dutch diseased economy....a resource addict economy. Thus we use the revenue from the oil we sell to import...because the oil money is enough.

Meanwhile, local industries die because we are over-importing.

Oil is a curse.

when i say a graduate of islamic or christian religion studies rule us, i expect us all to wear our thinking cap and look at d literary meaning. Is yar'adua not d first graduate to rule us? Prior to this time what calibre of people were ruling? Its not about d president now, how about d other cabinet members who have a say in d scheme of things? How many engineers have u found in d first 3 hierarchy of authority in dis nation? How do u expect those born with silver spoons to appreciate d plight of those born in a manger? Meanwhile, local industries are comatose cos there are no structures to encourage production at cheaper rates and therefore they don't break-even. Becos they dont breakeven, they die out. local demand is always more than supply hence d porous borders for high imports. Oil is a curse to us i agree with u.
We engineers are not sidelined. We are only watching and laughing at those who think we are dispensable.
Kolanut last longer only in d mouth of those who value it.
Kindly excuse any word u may consider derogatory.
My submission.
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by xfire: 7:36pm On Oct 24, 2014
Truckpusher:

I think the Op was only being figurative and obviously didn't mean it in literal terms. I believe he was trying to deplore the 'desperate' or rather ambitious desire exhibited by graduate engineers to work in the oil and gas industry (which is not bad anyway grin). You can't blame us. cheesy

The truth is that many engineers in other industries work as hard as their counterparts in the oil industry but get paid less - I believe that was what he was trying to say.

And to some extent, he is right. It all depends on what aspect of the oil industry that an engineer finds him/herself. There are some engineers in the industry that work themselves out mentally and physically, while a few do not as much but still earn a lot. Generally, engineers in oil servicing coys work harder than their counterparts in oil producing companies. There are a few exceptions anyway.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 7:47pm On Oct 24, 2014
xfire:

I think the Op was only being figurative and obviously didn't mean it in literal terms. I believe he was trying to deplore the 'desperate' or rather ambitious desire exhibited by graduate engineers to work in the oil and gas industry (which is not bad anyway grin). You can't blame us. cheesy

The truth is that many engineers in other industries work as hard as their counterparts in the oil industry but get paid less - I believe that was what he was trying to say.

And to some extent, he is right. It all depends on what aspect of the oil industry that an engineer finds him/herself. There are some engineers in the industry that work themselves out mentally and physically, while a few do not as much but still earn a lot. Generally, engineers in oil servicing coys work harder than their counterparts in oil producing companies. There are a few exceptions anyway.
it is because oil is at its peak . If other sectors generated income same way oil does , sure they would pay good. There was a time german'seconomywas the boom cause they produced cars .... Now we have so many cars that have to run on this oil. oil is beginning to loose it ... its prices are falling. Well I can't tell if it will go up again ... the power sector is begining to come up in Nigeria .... you dont need a sooth sayer to tell you what it projects with individuals investing greatly in it.
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Truckpusher(m): 7:47pm On Oct 24, 2014
naijababe:

grin grin grin Reality bites!!!
Bites harder than anything else my dear.

I heard some folks saying that they left their jobs to pursue their dream - it's ok ,it's a nice idea but what was the strategy behind such decisions before you deceive ordinary folks here.

I've worked with a lady that came back from the UK to work in Nigeria and after working for close to 2 yrs she left , that she wants to run a particular program in school .We all the suffer heads were all stunned but when I got to know who her father was, I was angry because she was just too selfish to have taken up that job in the first place probably with her connection. grin

She doesn't need a job - She needs a vacation, for God's sake grin

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by swhiss: 8:22pm On Oct 24, 2014
haryourdayG:
It's sad some set of peeps are complaining this write up is long. It's bad our reading culture has declined a lot. @op,nice piece...Latest Civil Engineering graduate!!!

i believe in a short time I'll confidently scream the bolded too...I just got admitted!
so so in love with Civil eng'g.
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by BruzMoney(m): 8:49pm On Oct 24, 2014
Why don't you kuku tell us you're quarelling with someone sad
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 9:11pm On Oct 24, 2014
BruzMoney:
Why don't you kuku tell us you're quarelling with someone sad

Oh dear!!! Raw nerve, e-badu belle grin
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by DobleO7: 9:12pm On Oct 24, 2014
In Nigeria people go to school for the purpose of getting a good job and not for the purpose of creating one. On the other hand Institutions in this country can best be described as "glorified secondary schools" with little or no infrastructure to produce full baked graduates.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by AAPS(m): 10:22pm On Oct 24, 2014
pls,which advice cn u give me as a Geology aspirant&just got admitted 2 sturdy Geology.
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 10:56pm On Oct 24, 2014
AAPS:
pls,which advice cn u give me as a Geology aspirant&just got admitted 2 sturdy Geology.
did you type study like that with you being aware ... anyways an advice is to make good contacts with those already in the fields you wish to pratice your skills in ... I mean folks just getting in as freshers in that field .the nigerian universities be it private or public presently do not prepare you for what you may face after graduation ... you gotta be prepared .
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Nobody: 10:57pm On Oct 24, 2014

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by mogadet(m): 1:25am On Oct 25, 2014
I was dozing off while scrolling through new threads, came across this piece and woke up.

thanks for this long but inspirational & motivational piece. if only the Government can have this kind of attitude towards the Engineering sector things will be better than this.

keep it high my co-Mech Engineer, one day, we shall get there.
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by jechona(m): 2:10am On Oct 25, 2014
Johnnoo:
@Feraz; Nice and challenging write you got, but let me ask you a simple question; will prefer made in Nigeria product to that of foreign product for your personal use (Pls be honest)

yes. With all my heart. You fail to understand one thing. If Nigerians are given correct facilities and materials, the made in Nigeria product will be far better than the imported products. Try a local shoe maker to produce one for you then do the comparism for yourself.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Call To Bar 2022: How A Little Girls Dream Became A Reality / Police Beats Man For Asking For His 2 Months Salary From His Boss(video+pics) / Top Six Most Successful Women In Corporate Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.