Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,655 members, 7,816,683 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:11 PM

The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality (37070 Views)

Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry / First Kaduna Oil and Gas Career Fair and Training (FREE FOR ALL) / How Easy Getting Oil &gas Career Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Swiftboy(m): 6:02pm On Nov 07, 2014
Chemical Engineers are also known as process Engineers please google. Infact, Manufacturing of any goods and services are splitted into two Process and Unit Operation. Process involves Chemical reactions while Unit operations involves taking advantage of physical properties to produce goods or materials. You cant convince me from what am sure of. Except if production engineering is different from process engineering. Kajiko?
Tiimmy:

First off, I hope this discussion isn't a "Mechanical Engineer vs Chemical Engineer" argument. I wouldn't want to get into that kind of argument/discussion cos in most industries, no particular discipline is "stand-alone". Every discipline is just one vital part of a "whole" system.

That being said, I think you are misunderstanding my point. Let me give an illustration; if a graduate fresh off secondary school decides to study "Production Engineering", he would in actual fact be taking same courses with his Mechanical Engineering counterpart in another university. Check online for course outlines for "Production Engineering" and compare with that of "Mechanical Engineering".

Some schools refer to their Mechanical dept. as "Mechanical & Production" department (ill be amazed if you ever find a Chemical & Production department).

Secondly "Control & Automation" (usually referred to Instrumentation & Controls) is a post majorly occupied by Electrical Engineering graduates.

Please don't get confused with English translations of Engineering terminologies.

I can write a whole article with respect to the functions of a Mechanical and a Process Engineer in the oil and gas industry; and it will differ greatly with the stuffs you listed. It will be based on what I get to see on a daily basis.
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Tiimmy(m): 1:49am On Nov 08, 2014
Swiftboy:
Chemical Engineers are also known as process Engineers please google. Infact, Manufacturing of any goods and services are splitted into two Process and Unit Operation. Process involves Chemical reactions while Unit operations involves taking advantage of physical properties to produce goods or materials. You cant convince me from what am sure of. Except if production engineering is different from process engineering. Kajiko?

The discussion isn't about chemical engineers being referred to as Process Engineers. Its about Chemical Engineers being referred to as Production engineers. And i disagreed with you, saying Production Engineering was closer to Mechanical Engineering than Chemical Engineering.

But then again I can sense there is no convincing you on this subject matter.

I rest my case sir....
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Swiftboy(m): 11:48am On Nov 12, 2014
Tiimmy:

The discussion isn't about chemical engineers being referred to as Process Engineers. Its about Chemical Engineers being referred to as Production engineers. And i disagreed with you, saying Production Engineering was closer to Mechanical Engineering than Chemical Engineering.

But then again I can sense there is no convincing you on this subject matter.

I rest my case sir....
production is different from Process. Now I get it. grin

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Kentheking: 1:52pm On Nov 12, 2014
Swiftboy:
production is different from Process. Now I get it. grin
please how can i apply to the oil and gas company for my one year industrial training
Re: The Nigerian Engineer And The Oil/Gas Career Mentality by Swiftboy(m): 4:02pm On Nov 12, 2014
You'll need to bookmark their website...they'll update you on how to do that.
Kentheking:
please how can i apply to the oil and gas company for my one year industrial training

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Call To Bar 2022: How A Little Girls Dream Became A Reality / Police Beats Man For Asking For His 2 Months Salary From His Boss(video+pics) / Top Six Most Successful Women In Corporate Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.