Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,766 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:59 PM

The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban (10071 Views)

Meet Jelani Aliyu, Nigerian Genius Who Designed Chevrolet Volt (Photo) / I Need Help My Chevrolet Optra / Toyota Hiace ("hummer Bus") Or Ford/chevrolet Buses: Which Is Better. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by AmericanCar: 10:54am On Oct 16, 2014
The Secret Service of the United States protects the American President – and in recent history the governmental body has used the Chevrolet Suburban to aid them in the line of fire. It isn’t just the Secret Service, which uses a variant of the car equipped with armor and defensive electronics; the car has come to frequent use across multiple American officers, from police cars, fire chief vehicles, and even the smaller vehicles used by Emergency Services in a hurry to reach a disaster. But why is it so popular?

What’s In A Suburban?

The Suburban is a large sports utility vehicle – and that does mean large. They can comfortably hold a large number of people or a decent load of cargo, and some models of the vehicle have a third row of seats which can either fold down, or be pushed up, so you can easily customize the vehicle to your need. Up to nine people can be loaded up into the Chevrolet Suburban, and that is no doubt one reason the Secret Service has picked up on the car – the more agents they can have seated and ready in a vehicle, the better protection they can off. A Chevrolet Suburban combines all the aspects of large cars into one package which is useful across multiple fronts, from a powerful engine, the frame of a full pick-up truck, up to three rows of seating and all the comforts of a large SUV.

The car can come equipped with off-road packages and chrome decoration, and sometimes includes running boards – slats of metal and plastic placed just underneath the door, both for helping entry, and in the line of duty, it’s used by Secret Service agents so they can swiftly remove themselves from the vehicle and get to work.

Most models of the Chevrolet Suburban have well over a hundred cubic feet of storage room, so you can pack whatever you have to when time comes to bring friends and family on a long road trip, or when you need to transport an extensive amount of goods. Airbags are included in the sides and front of the car, so it isn’t just those in the front who are protected, but also those in the two rows of passenger seats in the middle and rear of the vehicle.

Finding a Chevrolet Suburban

For a vehicle in frequent use by United States federal authorities and even the Secret Service, the process of exporting the car from the United States might sound a little intimidating – but you aren’t alone. There are companies which deal in making sure that cars mostly produced and sold in the United States are shifted to other nations when they go into the used market, companies like American Car Exporters, which offers a concierge service where you can enter in all of the specifications that you want and end up with a price and delivery for what you want. The Chevrolet Suburban might be famous for its use by the Secret Service, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have one.
Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by BTT(m): 11:17am On Oct 16, 2014
Very beautiful approach to sale uppeance.

Would hve loved to see more picture angles and interior of the vehicle in your post.
Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Nobody: 12:25pm On Oct 16, 2014
I will never recommend this vehicle for my Nigerian clients for the following reasons.

1. It's an outdated technology.
2. It's prohibitively a gas hog.
3. It's size is unwieldy on our narrow streets.

The "Law Enforcement Packaged" ones have special features like quick ratio steering, auxiliary cooling systems, etc making vastly superior to the civilian versions.

Nigerians are best served by purchasing modern compact full sized SUVs such as Honda Pilot, Lexus LX450, etc

1 Like

Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by oseo1(m): 10:01pm On Oct 16, 2014
CityNG:
I will never recommend this vehicle for my Nigerian clients for the following reasons.

1. It's an outdated technology.
2. It's prohibitively a gas hog.
3. It's size is unwieldy on our narrow streets.

The "Law Enforcement Packaged" ones have special features like quick ratio steering, auxiliary cooling systems, etc making vastly superior to the civilian versions.

Nigerians are best served by purchasing modern compact full sized SUVs such as Honda Pilot, Lexus LX450, etc

The suburban is not a bad car and it's not much bigger than the land cruiser or the qx56/80. It's actually better on gas than both of them, however if you are spending $60k on a car gas is probably the least of your worries.

Some people have need for the larger size vehicles and if you happen to be one of them it's not a bad option. The 2015 GM lineup is pretty good, they are greatly improved over the 2014 versions. Especially the escalate, it's fantastic.
Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Nobody: 11:24pm On Oct 16, 2014
oseo1:

The suburban is not a bad car and it's not much bigger than the land cruiser or the qx56/80. It's actually better on gas than both of them, however if you are spending $60k on a car gas is probably the least of your worries.

Some people have need for the larger size vehicles and if you happen to be one of them it's not a bad option. The 2015 GM lineup is pretty good, they are greatly improved over the 2014 versions. Especially the escalate, it's fantastic.

I never said it was a bad car.

Have you owned one?

Guess what, I've owned two of them so I speak from direct experience. They are ridiculous for Nigerian roads. Someone spending $60k is never going to consider a Suburban.
Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by oseo1(m): 12:04am On Oct 17, 2014
CityNG:

Have you owned one?

Guess what, I've owned two of them so I speak from direct experience. They are ridiculous for Nigerian roads. Someone spending $60k is never going to consider a Suburban.

No I have not owned one but I rent one for 6 weeks every year. Why do you think they are ridiculous for Nigerian roads? I know 2 people that just took delivery of gms one suburban and one escalade. And thy are both very very happy so far. One of them got the escalade to replace the 2012 qx56.
Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Nobody: 12:13am On Oct 17, 2014
oseo1:

No I have not owned one but I rent one for 6 weeks every year. Why do you think they are ridiculous for Nigerian roads? I know 2 people that just took delivery of gms one suburban and one escalade. And thy are both very very happy so far. One of them got the escalade to replace the 2012 qx56.

That's the thing, renting is different from actually owning one and living with i ton a daily basis. I didn't say no one should buy them, I said I can't recommend them for my clients (customer satisfaction is a biggie for me). If a client wants one against my best wishes of course I'll sell him one.

The reasons that I don't feel that they are a good match for Nigeria were listed above but they are namely horrendous MPG (for 2014), size on Nigerian roads (yes I saw H1 in Ikoyi), the brand itself and most important of all that there are other better options now.

These are just my opinions though and my automotive opinion is why clients choose me (I like to think it is anyways).
Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by oseo1(m): 6:11am On Oct 17, 2014
CityNG:

That's the thing, renting is different from actually owning one and living with i ton a daily basis. I didn't say no one should buy them, I said I can't recommend them for my clients (customer satisfaction is a biggie for me). If a client wants one against my best wishes of course I'll sell him one.
The reasons that I don't feel that they are a good match for Nigeria were listed above but they are namely horrendous MPG (for 2014), size on Nigerian roads (yes I saw H1 in Ikoyi), the brand itself and most important of all that there are other better options now.
These are just my opinions though and my automotive opinion is why clients choose me (I like to think it is anyways).

Lol every full size suv has bag gas mileage though and like I said it's better than the models that are more common here on gas. And on being out dated technology, there is almost nothing you can find in a land cruiser or qx 56 that you can't find in the GMs, they only thing is that they are packaged in a more luxurious way thus the difference in price.

I found the qx56 to be quite an unreliable car, in the 3 years that my client owned it I had to replace soon much on the car. Withing the first 4 months the rotors were warped. Apparently it's a common thing for the series.

Like I said though it all depends on the client and their specific needs. You should check out the 2015 GM lineup when you get a chance I dare say you will be surprised.
Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by sultaan(m): 7:32am On Oct 17, 2014
CityNG is not looking at the value the American brand offer.

Imho a $60k Tahoe LTZ is comparable to a $80k Landcruiser.

If O try to sell both in 5 years will I really sell the Toyota for $20k more?

http://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/#!/Welcome

http://www.chevrolet.com/tahoe-full-size-suv.html

http://www.chevrolet.com/suburban-suv.html

The Suburban is the people mover of Suv If a man wife and 4 kids are to be driven to the village with all necessities this christmas that is the right truck sundays

As of gas hog compare to the landcruiser
Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Nobody: 10:19am On Oct 17, 2014
oseo1:

Lol every full size suv has bag gas mileage though and like I said it's better than the models that are more common here on gas. And on being out dated technology, there is almost nothing you can find in a land cruiser or qx 56 that you can't find in the GMs, they only thing is that they are packaged in a more luxurious way thus the difference in price.

I found the qx56 to be quite an unreliable car, in the 3 years that my client owned it I had to replace soon much on the car. Withing the first 4 months the rotors were warped. Apparently it's a common thing for the series.

Like I said though it all depends on the client and their specific needs. You should check out the 2015 GM lineup when you get a chance I dare say you will be surprised.

Sorry but I live in the US (70% of the time), nothing GM makes, save for the Corvette, is worth recommending to any person where a long term business relationship is desired.

I have owned, personally and directly, many of their vehicles to know by first hand experience.

Every vehicle manufacturer will have some components that may not be up to standard, everyone uses third party vendors for certain components.

An astute buyer can find a much better long term vehicle for better value, based on total cost of ownership, on much more better models than the Suburban. The SS uses them because frankly it will be idiotic and a PR nightmare for them to be using a LX450 to shadow the POTUS. Not because it is a better vehicle. The model the SS uses is vastly different form the mundane one that the average joe will buy off the lot.
Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Nobody: 10:33am On Oct 17, 2014
sultaan:
CityNG is not looking at the value the American brand offer.

Imho a $60k Tahoe LTZ is comparable to a $80k Landcruiser.

If O try to sell both in 5 years will I really sell the Toyota for $20k more?

http://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/#!/Welcome

http://www.chevrolet.com/tahoe-full-size-suv.html

http://www.chevrolet.com/suburban-suv.html

The Suburban is the people mover of Suv If a man wife and 4 kids are to be driven to the village with all necessities this christmas that is the right truck sundays

As of gas hog compare to the landcruiser

CityNG is looking partly at the residual value but that is just part of the total cost of ownership not the complete indicator.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/car-compare?addACarMode=addACar&trim=75181352015&trim=76829492015

Compares the 2015 Suburban to the Sequia (the LX570 is not in the same class as the Suburban but I think they stopped making the Cadillac version of the Suburban).

Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Homguy(m): 11:10am On Oct 17, 2014
Voila! Been following this thread silently, but with those specs sheet posted by City, this thread should be closed. Its served its course,lol. Anybody, who opts to use the surburban in Nigeria, might do so solely out of ignorance(which sadly is more popular), or brand loyalty, otherwise, the suburban has got nothing on a land cruiser. Especially if you plan to resell sometime later.

1 Like

Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Gluck4cars: 3:51pm On Oct 17, 2014
CityNG:

And your bank acct is happy @CityNG.

Nice dialogue between CityNG and Oseo1.

1 Like

Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Nobody: 4:39pm On Oct 17, 2014
Gluck4cars:

And your bank acct is happy @CityNG.

Nice dialogue between CityNG and Oseo1.

My Brother my family thanks God for his blessings on us.

Thank you for the compliment and I thank Oseo1 for his civility.

I remembered a conversation with a client once. I made the mistake of telling him "Chief, between 18" tires and 20" tires, there's only a few dollars difference". He spent the next 15 minutes teaching me (reminding me anyways ) of economics as it relates to compound interest.

Most of the frugal people on earth are millionaires. I recommend the book "The Millionaire Next Door". It's an eye opening read. We shouldn't assume that rich people just throw money away and don't consider MPG when buying vehicles. They do.

1 Like

Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by oseo1(m): 5:39pm On Oct 17, 2014
Thanks CityNG, you are one of my favourite people in this section.

I disagree with your comparison though, it's kinda unbalanced, you are comparing the base sequoia to the LTZ suburban, so there will be a huge price difference.

Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Nobody: 9:04pm On Oct 17, 2014
grin You took it easy on me. I was expecting you to pull the Land Cruiser card so I'll really have to defend using Sequia against the Suburban.

Okay these are the base models.

Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Coldplay007(f): 9:27pm On Oct 17, 2014
CityNG:

Have you owned one?

CityNG! CityNG! grin
How many times did I call you?
Na 2 of all cars you dey always own....
I remember in an earlier thread you said you owned 2 Dodge challengers now you also owned 2 suburbans....
Na only you they chop all this 'American dream'... grin
Me no dey talk sey big bros dey lie oo.... grin

4 Likes

Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Nobody: 9:54pm On Oct 17, 2014
Coldplay007:

CityNG! CityNG! grin
How many times did I call you?
Na 2 of all cars you dey always own....
I remember in an earlier thread you said you owned 2 Dodge challengers now you also owned 2 suburbans....
Na only you they chop all this 'American dream'... grin
Me no dey talk sey big bros dey lie oo.... grin

It's okay you can call me a liar no worries.

I say this with no malice, the only opinion that matters to me are of those in my inner circle.

When you do the right things in life and at the right times things come together with hard work.

You should probably do what I do, even at my tender age, when you see someone that is successful ask them what they do and how they do it and see if you can do it too.

The insult is not in your thinly veiled accusation, it's that you think so low that if I wanted to lie it would be about common $10,000 Dodge.

1 Like

Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by sultaan(m): 2:17am On Oct 18, 2014
@CityNG

I know we started off with a Suburban which is why I pull a Land cruiser for comparison I you want to compare Sequoia to any GM vechilce the Tahoe is a better match.

If you check fuel economy and sales volume of both models Tahoe wins a Suburban is just an extended Tahoe.

The idea here is you can buy a Suburban from the US for less than a new Camry in Naija

And the last with I checked most of the millionaire drive a GM Caddy, Vette or Lade
Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Nobody: 2:34am On Oct 18, 2014
sultaan:
@CityNG

I know we started off with a Suburban which is why I pull a Land cruiser for comparison (1) I you want to compare Sequoia to any GM vechilce the Tahoe is a better match.

(2) If you check fuel economy and sales volume of both models Tahoe wins a Suburban is just an extended Tahoe.

(3) The idea here is you can buy a Suburban from the US for less than a new Camry in Naija

(4) And the last with I checked most of the millionaire drive a GM Caddy, Vette or Lade

(1) Okay. I agree with you and so does Car and Driver (see pic #1)

(2) You can't use sales since the Chevrolet and other American brands only survive based on rental fleets. The Sequia wins on MPG and has about 30 more horsepower to boot. That "just" is a big qualifier. There are critical differences but we don't need to get into that here.

(3) Wait I thought the idea was that the Suburban was a superb vehicle so much so that the secret service uses it? grin So my argument is that there are other much more better vehicles for Nigeria than the "burb".

(4) I disagree, based on my research they drive Ford F150 pick up truck, at least the self made millionaires. Not the silicon valley and brentwood brats.

A good link to read for aspiring millionaires like me wink http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/s/stanley-millionaire.html but they omitted the data that was in the book (I'll provide that on monday as my book is at work).

Guys, I charge for this research that you're getting for free grin

Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Coldplay007(f): 5:34am On Oct 18, 2014
CityNG:

It's okay you can call me a liar no worries.

I say this with no malice, the only opinion that matters to me are of those in my inner circle.

When you do the right things in life and at the right times things come together with hard work.

You should probably do what I do, even at my tender age, when you see someone that is successful ask them what they do and how they do it and see if you can do it too.

The insult is not in your thinly veiled accusation, it's that you think so low that if I wanted to lie it would be about common $10,000 Dodge.
It was not an insult, it was meant as a joke evidenced by the several smileys...
Success is not measured by the number of cars you've bought in life and people that are really successful don't make noise about it..
You are one of my favorite members of this forum and my post is what it is, just an observation...

1 Like

Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Nobody: 6:01am On Oct 18, 2014
Coldplay007:

It was not an insult, it was meant as a joke evidenced by the several smileys...
Success is not measured by the number of cars you've bought in life and people that are really successful don't make noise about it..
You are one of my favorite members of this forum and my post is what it is, just an observation...

That's a personal issue that I'm going to let you resolve on your own.

Do you have any input on the topic or you just came in to lash out at CityNG?
Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Homguy(m): 6:20am On Oct 18, 2014
CityNG:

... (maybe I'm getting soft in my old age) grin

Enjoy.
lmao! Old age?! Am sure that's an exaggeration. Old people by default are tough and stubborn, don't give a hoot about anybody's opinion,stand, and would almost always argue (if they can) with anybody who thinks differently. You are not old yet,oga! You'll be, when you become too frail to log into nairaland. grin Enjoy your nite.
Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Denn(m): 6:24am On Oct 18, 2014
CityNG:

CityNG, Coldplay007 long time dudes...

I don't think Coldplay007 was insulting and it seems CityNG is a bit touchy today?

If you are in lagos, a bottle of star each at Stalad Gardens can settle this ripple.... I pay for the first round.

Cheers
Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Nobody: 6:55am On Oct 18, 2014
So back to this Surburban matter guys.

Is it the best SUV for Naija?

Let's hear your opinions.
Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Coldplay007(f): 11:05am On Oct 18, 2014
CityNG:

Lol! We can all can make empty mouth on a faceless forum to compensate for our shortcomings in the real world.. grin
Seems some people have a pathologic need to make people aware of their (pseudo)success... grin

Back to the topic! Y'all should know I won't touch an American car with a long pole.. I am unapologetically a Japanese car freak... I drove a Mohave recently and It seems I have some Korean blood in my veins too... grin
Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by nurey(m): 11:34am On Oct 18, 2014
CityNG:
So back to this Surburban matter guys.

Is it the best SUV for Naija?

Let's hear your opinions.

My answer will be No, until Nigerians mentality of Toyota is flushed away. But if I will choose an SUV that is best for Nigerian roads, I will certify the jeep wrangler
Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by sultaan(m): 12:43pm On Oct 18, 2014
The SS USS the Surb because they pack up for a war when on the job you never want to find your self outgunned. If a Surb is disabled you can't commandeer a danfo or okada you all move into the next one try welding a M4 in tight space with firing off a couple of rounds pray for the unfortunate driver.

You might say the SS won't pick the Surb if they had a choice, they won't pick a Prius either
Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Nobody: 1:53pm On Oct 18, 2014
Coldplay007:

Lol! We can all can make empty mouth on a faceless forum to compensate for our shortcomings in the real world.. grin
Seems some people have a pathologic need to make people aware of their (pseudo)success... grin

Back to the topic! Y'all should know I won't touch an American car with a long pole.. I am unapologetically a Japanese car freak... I drove a Mohave recently and It seems I have some Korean blood in my veins too... grin

Just joking my a$$, I'm happy that my BS meter didn't fail me - most excellent.

Poverty is truly a disease cool

Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Nobody: 1:56pm On Oct 18, 2014
sultaan:
The SS USS the Surb because they pack up for a war when on the job you never want to find your self outgunned. If a Sueb is disabled you can't commandeer a dark or okada you all move into the next one try welding a M4 in tight space with firing off a couple of rounds pray for the unfortunate driver.

You might say the SS won't pick the Surb if they had a choice, they won't pick a Prius either

They use the Suburban simply because GM won the government contract against Ford this time.

The SS has managed to protect the POTUS even before they started using Surburbans.

They also have some Fords and other USA products in the fleet.

PS: You'll never see them in a non American product, even when they rent cars.

http://www.policecarwebsite.net/fc/fedcars/ss203.jpg

Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Nobody: 1:59pm On Oct 18, 2014
nurey:

My answer will be No, until Nigerians mentality of Toyota is flushed away. But if I will choose an SUV that is best for Nigerian roads, I will certify the jeep wrangler

I think Nigeria loves Toyota because they have proven that they are very reliable, well at least the older generations.

I've only owned a Jeep Wrangler and wild horses wouldn't drag me back to buy another one. I mean it was okay in an off road setting but the handling in the wet was poor, and I think it's due to the very short wheelbase. I know far more about tires now that I did when I had mine (in the 90's).

This pic shows a Scrambler, basically a stretched Wrangler, which I think offers better handling. Jeep is making long wheelbase vehicles again.

Re: The Secret Services’ Best Kept Secret? The Chevrolet Suburban by Coldplay007(f): 2:24pm On Oct 18, 2014
CityNG:

Just joking my a$$, I'm happy that my BS meter didn't fail me - most excellent.

Poverty is truly a disease cool

Sweetheart! grin grin
I must have hit a nerve for you to go all ballistic like this... I was actually joking initially, but with the way you responded, it's definitely the truth.. cool
Broke as$ nigga manages to leave the shores of Nigeria gets a job cleaning floors, he suddenly thinks he has arrived... tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

Car Remote Key Complains / Tips To Note When A Car Overheats / Mitsusbishi GDI Refused To Supply Feul To The Injectors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.