Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,837 members, 7,956,155 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:00 AM

Nigeria Risks One-party Dictatorship, Atiku Warns - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Risks One-party Dictatorship, Atiku Warns (732 Views)

Nigeria Risks Economic Decline –buhari: Punch / Balarabe Musa: APC Will Turn Nigeria Into A One-Party State / Gov Aliyu: Nigeria Risks Disintegration By 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Risks One-party Dictatorship, Atiku Warns by Nobody: 7:27am On Oct 17, 2014
Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, who is aspiring for the presidential ticket of the opposition All Progressives Congress, has warned that a mandate to the ruling Peoples Democratic Party, in 2015 will be a vote for a single-party dictatorship.

Atiku, who spoke separately to APC leaders from Bauchi State and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja at an interactive session on Thursday said the “arrogance” of the ruling PDP has reached a point where the country can no longer bear it.
He said, “Here is a warning to all Nigerians. A ruling party that barred its members from running against the President in the primaries this year will, if care is not taken bar the entire citizens of the country from challenging him four years down the road.”

The former Vice President, who said he is the only candidate with a plan to reduce the enormous powers of the federation through a systematic devolution of power to the states, warned that “four more years of mandate will spell the death knell of democracy in the country.
“One-party dictatorship is bad and we must change.”
Atiku told the delegates that the powers of the federal government needed to be reduced if effective governance is to return to Nigeria.
He added that this action would equally reduce the cut-throat competition for power at the center.

On security challenges and the lack of development in the North-East geopolitical zone, Atiku said he agreed that the region was the country’s least in terms of development.
He added that even the United Nations agencies were in agreement with this position.
Speaking to the FCT delegates, Atiku said the country was currently faced with “bad resources management, insecurity, ethnic and religious disharmony and most importantly, we have poverty imposed on us.

“We have no reason to be poor because we have endowments in human and material resources. “Sadly,” he noted, “we have failed to utilize them due to poor leadership”.
Atiku went spiritual by quoting the Bible, Proverbs, Chapter 29 Verse 2, which says: “When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice. But when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.”

This, he said, applies to both faiths. We cannot continue like this.”
The former Vice President said opportunity was now in the air, given the what he described as the failure of the ruling PDP, which he said was aided by the healthy development of the coming together of the entire opposition elements in the country.
He said, “For the first time under this democracy, Nigerians have the chance and opportunity to ensure that a change is effected.”

Atiku also promised to remove indigeneship requirements throughout the federation if he is elected as President. “Why should you be a stranger in a part of the country where you are born? Why should anyone be discriminated against?” he queried.
The former Vice President also played up his experience over the years in governance and business, calling himself a true democrat, not a born-again democrat; a born democrat who has never agreed to serve in past military regimes.
“I always prepare myself for what I want to do. Modern governance is more than bureaucracy. That’s why I have never made an attempt for public office without a policy document.”
The former Vice President dismissed co-contenders for the APC ticket as lacking in business experience.
Atiku said, “You cannot run a complex and a modern economy as we have without business experience. They don’t even know how to create jobs. So, I believe I am more prepared than anyone of them.

“In terms of uniting this country and defending this country, I also believe I stand out. You don’t have to be a soldier to defend your country. It takes a will.”

Source: http://www.punchng.com/news/nigeria-risks-one-party-dictatorship-atiku-warns/
Re: Nigeria Risks One-party Dictatorship, Atiku Warns by camouflage(f): 7:29am On Oct 17, 2014
when viable options are available. then the change will definitely come
Re: Nigeria Risks One-party Dictatorship, Atiku Warns by 2cato: 7:32am On Oct 17, 2014
They have started crying and planing for victory that will never materialse.
Re: Nigeria Risks One-party Dictatorship, Atiku Warns by Bugatie(m): 7:36am On Oct 17, 2014
A man motivated solely by personal interest and guided by zero political ideology.
From PDP to Action Congress,
From Action Congress back to PDP,
And from PDP to APC.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Risks One-party Dictatorship, Atiku Warns by pendy79: 7:39am On Oct 17, 2014
Nice write up from the Turaki. APC is sure blessed with many presidential materials.

But for me and my family, Buhari gets our votes. Atiku should play significant role in the think.tank and policy direction of our party after swearing in next year.
Re: Nigeria Risks One-party Dictatorship, Atiku Warns by dridowu: 7:52am On Oct 17, 2014
I will rather vote Pastor Chris Okotie than vote Atiku for president
Re: Nigeria Risks One-party Dictatorship, Atiku Warns by lilprinze: 7:55am On Oct 17, 2014
Look at the political prostitute who is talking he decamps from 1 party to the oder like he is changing cloth am sure when APC loses 2015 presidential election the porsitute would decamp back to PDP.
Re: Nigeria Risks One-party Dictatorship, Atiku Warns by EbuGeneral(m): 8:01am On Oct 17, 2014
the part i enjoyed most is where he quoted the bible, even as a christian, i dont know that quotation. politicians keep amusing me. fold my arms akimbo. watching. i rather vote patience goodluck as 9ja president than vote atiku.
Re: Nigeria Risks One-party Dictatorship, Atiku Warns by manmade(m): 8:01am On Oct 17, 2014
Hmmmm , Atiku quoting from provb, 29:2 ,wetin we. no go see for this country ,very soon the Devil will begin to speak in tongues
Re: Nigeria Risks One-party Dictatorship, Atiku Warns by Descartes: 8:02am On Oct 17, 2014
Coming from a political love-peddler who thrives on political harlotry. angry
Re: Nigeria Risks One-party Dictatorship, Atiku Warns by olosk(m): 8:11am On Oct 17, 2014
Hmmm. Atiku go and sleep, ure drunk again. Political ashewo
Re: Nigeria Risks One-party Dictatorship, Atiku Warns by agitator: 8:28am On Oct 17, 2014
This man no no the meaning of single party and him want to contest for president? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm cry cry cry cry
Re: Nigeria Risks One-party Dictatorship, Atiku Warns by Onyejiuwaokoh: 9:45am On Oct 17, 2014
After GEJ my next man is Atiku.

(1) (Reply)

Photo: Lagos State Police Parade Dogs That Attacked 4-year-old / Ex-mint Boss Rejects Extradition, Asks For Trial In Nigeria / 2015 Governorship; A Golden Opportunity Abia Southners Should Not Trivialize. By

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.