Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,095 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:21 AM

Mistakes Job Seekers Make While Posting CVS For Job Applications. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Mistakes Job Seekers Make While Posting CVS For Job Applications. (1916 Views)

10 Mistakes Job Seekers Make … And How to Avoid Them / Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews / 10 Silly Mistakes Job Seekers Make (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mistakes Job Seekers Make While Posting CVS For Job Applications. by Careerscdl: 7:09pm On Oct 17, 2014
I have a Fair oppourtunity of being involved in recruiting, being on diverse interview panels, sponsorship selection for many organisations ranging from health institutions,Engineering firms,Telecommunications ,Financial to Educational organisations big and Small sized. I have been doing this for over 7 years straight up !
Let me kindly say that the interview and selection process start from the very first time you send in your CV or Resume.

1. In the Bid to quickly post your CV/Resume especially via online, avoid sending with your blackberry phone. However if you have to I know that you can de-activate your provider settings from the email options so as not to show the legendery...... sent from my airtel wireless blackberry smart phone....).
It tells you that you do not have proper phone etiquette.

2.Get a proper email address opened for submission of CV's . Your username should not start with flygirl@, supahlover@, koko@ ,dmain man@
etc.....get a Proper username such as PeterKunle@.., or JCLeman@. Ps always access and check the inbox and spam frequently.

3. Try to know the difference between a Resume and a CV .

4. Most Employees notice duration and dates you stayed within an organisation , we worry when you spend less than a year within an organisation. We prefer Resumes of people that have worked within an organisation for longer periods as at 5 organisations within 3 years. Please remember it doesnt always matter the type of organisation you worked in.
If you cant stay long in any organisation you probably may not want to stay in theirs and organisation seek candidates to grow with them.

5. Always check your spellings and be ready to defend your job description in previous positions held.

6. Remember to always take time to adjust your CV/Resume to fit the job description sought after. Note there isnt a one size-fit all CV/Resume for all jobs. Taking time to adjust your CV means you are quite intelligent and not lazy.

7. ...And going back to online etiquette with sending CV,s , try not to forward a job application previously sent - to a new potential employee. No company whether small, insignificant or large would like to see a forwarded CV/Resume.

Meanwhile its best to grow your career in a small ,or assumed less attractive organisation than waiting long for the more known multinationals f thus leaving years (gap) in your resume. Another plus is that smaller organisations tend to multitask where you can assume alot of roles e.g the employed accountant may also recruit (HR role)and also monitor and regulate (operating activities) -this all builds your proffesional muscles.

........... ,Just below your name and contact details -when you write( or copy -the usual cut and paste style) in your statement...... 'I can add Value to your organisation' better think twice,carefully and be ready to defend it! You are offering a promise.. For most organisations ,we want you to reduce our cost either through 1.accepting lower salary,2. introducing a great idea to reducing operational expenses, 3.taking up additional functions outside your job role scope (so we can either collapse two job openings for one and or replace that staff that is not productive) 4.Bringing in more clients,customers ,business that affects positively our profit margins!!!- (interestingly the dreaded marketing skills/roles)!

Remember the competition is truly fierce,candidates abound, Recruiters seek to select the best among the rest-It is the whole package your potential employer is looking for and not just your educational background or the lenght of your resume .The ability to be discreet, careful and proffesional is a very huge plus.
Re: Mistakes Job Seekers Make While Posting CVS For Job Applications. by akinsadeez(m): 7:19pm On Oct 17, 2014
wonderful tips. the email thing is very important. Many job seekers don't understand that little things like their email address matters a lot. Imagine sending your CV to a partner in a firm with your email being 'Rudebwoi234@.....', 'sexybitch@...' 'fola4luv' e.t.c. It doesn't portray you as a responsible person at all. It is better that your email should be a combination of your first and last name. It also makes it easier to remember. Good luck to all those looking for jobs.
Re: Mistakes Job Seekers Make While Posting CVS For Job Applications. by sholay2011(m): 7:22pm On Oct 17, 2014
Nice one OP.

Especially no 5: "Always check your spellings....etc".

Your first line OP: "I have a fair oppourtunity of being involved in recruiting.....".

And I think it should be "I've had a fair opportunity of....".

You sef see say engrish no easy? grin

#Just kidding#

3 Likes

Re: Mistakes Job Seekers Make While Posting CVS For Job Applications. by Dopeyomi(m): 7:22pm On Oct 17, 2014
Thanks for posting this.

Pls kindly expatiate on the Cv/resume.

What is the difference between Curriculum vitae and resume?

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Job Seekers Make While Posting CVS For Job Applications. by Careerscdl: 7:40pm On Oct 17, 2014
I have a Fair opportunity of being involved in recruiting, being on diverse interview panels, sponsorship selection for many organisations ranging from health institutions, engineering firms, Telecommunications ,Financial to Educational organisations big and Small sized. I have been engaged in this for over 7 straight years.
Let me kindly say that the interview and selection process start from the very first time you send in your CV or Resume.

1. In the Bid to quickly post your CV/Resume especially via online, avoid sending with your blackberry phone. However if you have to I know that you can de-activate your provider settings from the email options so as not to show the legendary...... sent from my airtel wireless blackberry smart phone....).
It tells you that you do not have proper phone etiquette.

2 .Get a proper email address opened for submission of CV's . Your username should not start with flygirl@, supahlover@, koko@ ,dmain man@ etc.....get a Proper username such as PeterKunle@.., or JCLeman@. Ps always access and check the inbox and spam frequently.

3. Try to know the difference between a Resume and a CV.

4. Most Employees notice duration and dates you stay within an organisation, we worry when you spend less than a year within an organisation. We prefer Resumes of people that have worked within an organisation for longer periods as at 5 organisations within 3 years. Please remember it doesn’t always matter the type of organisation you worked in.
If you can’t stay long in any organisation you probably may not want to stay in theirs and organisation seek candidates to grow with them.

5. Always check your spellings and be ready to defend your job description in previous positions held.

6. Remember to always take time to adjust your CV/Resume to fit the job description sought after. Note well : there isn’t a one size-fit all CV/Resume for all jobs. Taking time to adjust your CV means you are quite intelligent and not lazy.

7. ...And going back to online etiquette with sending CV, s, try not to forward a job application previously sent - to a new potential employee. No company whether small, insignificant or large would like to see a forwarded CV/Resume.

Meanwhile its best to grow your career in a small, or assumed less attractive organisation than waiting long for the more known multinationals f thus leaving years (gap) in your resume. Another plus is that smaller organisations tend to multitask where you can assume a lot of roles e.g. the employed accountant may also recruit (HR role) and also monitor and regulate (operating activities) -this all builds your professional muscles.

........... , Just below your name and contact details -when you write (or copy -the usual cut and paste style) in your statement...... 'I can add Value to your organisation' better think twice, carefully and be ready to defend it! You are offering a promise.. For most organisations, we want you to reduce our cost either through 1.accepting lower salary, 2. introducing a great idea to reducing operational expenses, 3.taking up additional functions outside your job role scope (so we can either collapse two job openings for one and or replace that staff that is not productive) 4.Bringing in more clients, customers ,business that affects positively our profit margins!!!- (interestingly the dreaded marketing skills/roles)!

Remember the competition is truly fierce, candidates abound, Recruiters seek to select the best among the rest-It is the whole package your potential employer is looking for and not just your educational background or the length of your resume .The ability to be discreet, careful and professional is a very huge plus.
Re: Mistakes Job Seekers Make While Posting CVS For Job Applications. by Careerscdl: 8:20pm On Oct 17, 2014
@ shola 2011 - Thank you for the Smart observation - auto -corrected all grammatical errors. see previous post.

@Dopeyomi _ difference between a CV and a Resume

Both are used for the same purpose to gain employment. However the writing style and layout is different.
The CV starts with your Personal profile, educational and academic background, your research experiences, publications, projects, publications, presentations, awards, honours’, club/educational society details . Then your work experience mainly internships, IT, NYSC (for Nigerians) and your post - NYSC work experiences.
With regards the Chronological ordering (dates) i.e. a list of all your achievements until the date you are submitting it, presented in reverse chronological order (i.e. the latest achievements first)
A CV can be used for educational grants and supports too. Best used when you don’t have much work experience.
The Curriculum Vitae ( highly advised) is accompanied by a cover letter, summarising it contents, points out the job position applied for and why the applicant fits the job in a pleasant manner.
On the Other hand ,
A Resume at a glance highlights your Skills and your achievements in a short and precise way relevant ONLY to the Job applied for.
The Resume begins with your Skills, Work Locations- includes Work experiences, roles played, Goals and Targets achieved, and may also add Educational qualifications and trainings relevant to your career (and tailored to the job you are applying for).
A resume is usually best for more experienced people who have worked longer and acquired experiences. A resume should not be more than two pages.

It is always advised to stick to the curriculum vitae . Ps unless immediately requested do not give out your reference details and contact information!!! Always insert reference information on request!
Re: Mistakes Job Seekers Make While Posting CVS For Job Applications. by Dopeyomi(m): 8:26pm On Oct 17, 2014
Careerscdl:
@ shola 2011 - Thank you for the Smart observation - auto -corrected all grammatical errors. see previous post.

@Dopeyomi _ difference between a CV and a Resume

Both are used for the same purpose to gain employment. However the writing style and layout is different.
The CV starts with your Personal profile, educational and academic background, your research experiences, publications, projects, publications, presentations, awards, honours’, club/educational society details . Then your work experience mainly internships, IT, NYSC (for Nigerians) and your post - NYSC work experiences.
With regards the Chronological ordering (dates) i.e. a list of all your achievements until the date you are submitting it, presented in reverse chronological order (i.e. the latest achievements first)
A CV can be used for educational grants and supports too. Best used when you don’t have much work experience.
The Curriculum Vitae ( highly advised) is accompanied by a cover letter, summarising it contents, points out the job position applied for and why the applicant fits the job in a pleasant manner.
On the Other hand ,
A Resume at a glance highlights your Skills and your achievements in a short and precise way relevant ONLY to the Job applied for.
The Resume begins with your Skills, Work Locations- includes Work experiences, roles played, Goals and Targets achieved, and may also add Educational qualifications and trainings relevant to your career (and tailored to the job you are applying for).
A resume is usually best for more experienced people who have worked longer and acquired experiences. A resume should not be more than two pages.

It is always advised to stick to the curriculum vitae . Ps unless immediately requested do not give out your reference details and contact information!!! Always insert reference information on request!

Okay. Thank you sir...

I now know the difference now..
Re: Mistakes Job Seekers Make While Posting CVS For Job Applications. by chachazzy(m): 8:52pm On Oct 17, 2014
Email? Pls hw does the email "chazzy135@yahoo.com" sound? Hope its kul?
Re: Mistakes Job Seekers Make While Posting CVS For Job Applications. by franconian: 8:55pm On Oct 17, 2014
Careerscdl:

Are you saying names of referees should be provided without details?
Re: Mistakes Job Seekers Make While Posting CVS For Job Applications. by chyna4luv: 12:02am On Oct 18, 2014
Op, we usually hear all these tips here.It's not new to us except the number one and two tips that says,"we shouldn't send our CVs with blackberry phones".
I personally won't agree to that because,most of the invites I got coupled with the one that earned me my current job,I sent my CVs using my phones (different types of phone for that matter) infact, the name I used to open the email which I used to sending my CVs to one engineering company at Lekki(Name withheld)wasn't professional But they called me twice which I didn't attend the interview because it's not worth it due to distance,also I applied with a lower qualification instead of a higher qualification so as to have a big pay lol. I'm not even an engineer by discipline.

I'm not saying this to encourage jobseekers to use unprofessional names to open an email to applying for jobs but to let you know that it doesn't count much. I feel if your CV is a match to what a recruiting firm is scouting for,they will surely call you.

Anyways,thanks for the tips!

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Job Seekers Make While Posting CVS For Job Applications. by hajjisemiu: 11:23am On Oct 18, 2014
Thanks for this helpful information.
Re: Mistakes Job Seekers Make While Posting CVS For Job Applications. by noskybanj(m): 6:13pm On Oct 19, 2014
Number 1 oooo. 90% of my applications av bin via my bb phone. Could dis be a reason y .............
Re: Mistakes Job Seekers Make While Posting CVS For Job Applications. by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 19, 2014
Op please wats d difference between a CV and a RESUME?
Re: Mistakes Job Seekers Make While Posting CVS For Job Applications. by Careerscdl: 7:49pm On Oct 19, 2014
@ sisipelebe - the diff between both has been highlighted already , kindly view previous thread.

@ noskybanj - It is very unlikely thats the reason why........ smiley but we guess its high time you go through your CV once more and re-write it
again. keep your head up! -your ideal job is just around the bend....see it... say it and it wil become!

@ hajjisemiu - Thank u too,your very welcome.

@ Chyna4luv - I beg that you dont misquote a harmless tip (made without prejudice) kindly read carefully and Hope you enjoy your present job.

@ Fraconian - The usual part where we write the Reference column, just insert the phrase "Available on request". unless you have been told too
provide that information specifically.

(1) (Reply)

Procter & Gamble Recruiting / Mantrac (CAT) Calls For Submission Of Cv / If You're In Port Harcourt,this One's For You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.