Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,307 members, 7,815,561 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward (1387 Views)

Say No To Hijab Ban / Pastor Chris Oyakilome DID NOT Ban Singer , Sinach From Singing In His Church / CAN Raises Alarm Over The Legalizing Of Wearing Hijab in Osun St. Public Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by K0ala7(m): 8:52am On Oct 18, 2014
Good day reader:

Recently, Justice Modupe Onyeabor of the Ikeja High Court dismissed the suit brought against the Lagos State Government by two Muslim pupils from Lagos State as it concerns the ban on wearing the hijab in public schools. She ruled that the ban does not violate the rights of Muslims as stated in the Nigerian constitution. Reason being, Nigeria is a secular country, etc. etc.

Granted, the ruling sounds fair enough (depending on your perspective) on paper. But it also ignores the blatant hypocrisy that is manifest in Nigerian governance when it comes to the government and religion. The same government that claims to be a secular one, sponsors yearly pilgrimages for faithfuls of Muslim and Christian faith. Then again, the uniform is meant to be, as the name implies, a uniform!

Clearly this is a thorny issue for Muslims, seeing as their rights (as they perceive) to freely worship is being tampered with. As is the responsibility of the government to maintain order where (as they perceive) it is required. So what then should be the way forward for the Muslims in Lagos State and Nigeria?

Let’s look at the options:

1. Appeal the ruling and get a favorable decision… and the ensuing lawsuits, as only one side is ever going to be favored.

2. Accept that the government has the right to determine the standards for dressing in its schools (that it funds)… and deal with the disgruntled reactions from the Muslim community.

3. Establish more Muslim schools where Muslim pupils can freely express and practice their faith without fear of discrimination.

My pick would be #3, obviously. And here’s why…

The government is allegedly by the people, for the people, and to the people. Is it possible for the government make its policies in such a way that it caters to desires of all of its citizenry? Nope. If you clamor for freedom and you seek such from your government, you surely won’t get all the freedoms you request. Simply because it affects the freedoms of other people.

An example of a community creating an environment for themselves where they can freely express their religious beliefs without risking interference from the government or causing offense to other religions is the Catholic Church. They have their hospitals and schools and what not. They are free to engage in the activities you would find in government owned hospitals and schools, and at the same time, abide by the dictates of their religion as they deem fit. You do not go to a Catholic school and expect to be able to make the Adhaan (Muslim call to prayer) at the time of prayer. The same way you would not expect to precede Jum’ah (Communal Friday prayers) with a chapel session.

This solution might seem far-fetched, but it is (as I see it) the easy way around the current situation. There need not be a situation where Muslims or Christians impose themselves on the public school system, forgetting that there are other faiths (or lack thereof) that make use of the same schools.

http://thisnigerianopinion./2014/10/18/hijab-ban-in-lagos-public-schools-the-way-forward/
Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by LordReed(m): 10:08am On Oct 18, 2014
Do Muslim pupils and students attending Atlantic Hall or Corona (and the other "posh" private schools) wear hijab?

1 Like

Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by K0ala7(m): 3:36pm On Oct 18, 2014
No. And for obvious reasons.

When in Rome, act Roman...
Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by LordReed(m): 4:14pm On Oct 18, 2014
K0ala7:
No. And for obvious reasons.

When in Rome, act Roman...

The reason isn't obvious to me. Can you elaborate?
Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by K0ala7(m): 4:59pm On Oct 18, 2014
LordReed:

The reason isn't obvious to me. Can you elaborate?

They have a uniform that they enforce. Stick with the script or you stay out of their school.
Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by LordReed(m): 5:04pm On Oct 18, 2014
K0ala7:

They have a uniform that they enforce. Stick with the script or you stay out of their school.

So then how come the Muslims are not protesting that? Are they not proscribing their religious freedom?
Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by K0ala7(m): 5:33pm On Oct 18, 2014
LordReed:

So then how come the Muslims are not protesting that? Are they not proscribing their religious freedom?

I don't understand where you're trying to take this. You do not go to an institution funded by private money and complain about their rules when you're free to establish your own. However, you do have a right to demand from your government, to reasonable extents, what you deem as your rights as everybody has a right to equal representation.

The government money is also Muslim, Christian, and every religion's money as they are all citizens of Nigeria. So they have a right to protest when they feel discriminated against in a government funded institution. Not necessarily deserving, but they still have the right to. And that is what they are exercising.
Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by LordReed(m): 6:05pm On Oct 18, 2014
K0ala7:

I don't understand where you're trying to take this. You do not go to an institution funded by private money and complain about their rules when you're free to establish your own. However, you do have a right to demand from your government, to reasonable extents, what you deem as your rights as everybody has a right to equal representation.

The government money is also Muslim, Christian, and every religion's money as they are all citizens of Nigeria. So they have a right to protest when they feel discriminated against in a government funded institution. Not necessarily deserving, but they still have the right to. And that is what they are exercising.

I thought they were protesting the abridgment of their fundamental human rights and as someone on another thread said/implied it also makes it impossible for female Muslim students to go to school since they must wear hijab. Is the implication that the richer ones like having their rights abridged or that they can pay not to wear hijab? Are those female Muslims free to violate whatever Qur'anic injunction mandating hijab simply because their parents have money?

1 Like

Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by K0ala7(m): 6:26pm On Oct 18, 2014
LordReed:

I thought they were protesting the abridgment of their fundamental human rights and as someone on another thread said/implied it also makes it impossible for female Muslim students to go to school since they must wear hijab. Is the implication that the richer ones like having their rights abridged or that they can pay not to wear hijab? Are those female Muslims free to violate whatever Qur'anic injunction mandating hijab simply because their parents have money?

Religion is a personal matter and is subject to each individual's interpretations of their relationship to their higher power. The decision of some people not to use the hijab does not change the fact that it is a recognized part of most Muslims' faith. You could say the same for a Catholic nun who covers up similar to the typical Muslim woman, that does not take anything away from the catholic who is not a nun and decides to dress as she deems fit. Like I said, subject to personal interpretation.
Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by LordReed(m): 6:49pm On Oct 18, 2014
K0ala7:

Religion is a personal matter and is subject to each individual's interpretations of their relationship to their higher power. The decision of some people not to use the hijab does not change the fact that it is a recognized part of most Muslims' faith. You could say the same for a Catholic nun who covers up similar to the typical Muslim woman, that does not take anything away from the catholic who is not a nun and decides to dress as she deems fit. Like I said, subject to personal interpretation.

I think the Catholic nun analogy doesn't fit because while nuns are mandated Catholics are not, unlike Muslims where every female is enjoined.

My main sticking point with this whole issue is this, the students know the rules governing uniform wearing. The injunction compelling hijab was not made "yesterday", why the sudden urge to defy the school uniform rule? And if as you say it is all our money why not seek for the permission to wear a modified uniform? Why this I must have it my way? Another ancillary sticking point is since there were Muslims present when these rules were crafted how come none thought to stand up for the right to wear hijab? I have been around Muslims in my childhood and I don't remember the females wearing hijab at least not the ones my age back then. Is this development a new thing or what?

3 Likes

Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by K0ala7(m): 7:26pm On Oct 18, 2014
LordReed:

I think the Catholic nun analogy doesn't fit because while nuns are mandated Catholics are not, unlike Muslims where every female is enjoined.

My main sticking point with this whole issue is this, the students know the rules governing uniform wearing. The injunction compelling hijab was not made "yesterday", why the sudden urge to defy the school uniform rule? And if as you say it is all our money why not seek for the permission to wear a modified uniform? Why this I must have it my way? Another ancillary sticking point is since there were Muslims present when these rules were crafted how come none thought to stand up for the right to wear hijab? I have been around Muslims in my childhood and I don't remember the females wearing hijab at least not the ones my age back then. Is this development a new thing or what?

The point of the write up was to suggest a solution to the issue. Clearly, nobody is gonna be satisfied with either ruling.

Like I said, personal interpretation. Parents typically try to encourage their girls to wear the hijab from childhood so that they don't have difficulty adopting it when they are older.

As for the Muslim voice during the legislation, I honestly don't know. But my assumption is that, being the educated gentleman Fashola is, the government would rather have the uniform maintained and prefers hijab be restricted to Muslim schools that are not government funded just to avoid issues in the future. Same way either side would protest if all the pupils in government school were forced to to perform devotions/prayers in just one religion's way; or religious prayers at all. Separation of religion from government is essential to maintaining sanity in a multi-religious society like ours.
Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by EvilBrain1(m): 7:50pm On Oct 18, 2014
The way forward is for Muslim students to stop their whining and obey the school rules. Your religion does not entitle you to any special treatment or exempt you from any rules that are binding on others. Your religion is your problem and yours alone, nobody is required to do anything to accommodate your beliefs. This goes double when those beliefs are irrational and don't benefit anyone in any tangible way.

If one religion comes out and says they want to go to school nakëd, are we going to change the rules to accommodate them? What makes Muslim beliefs carry more weight that those of any other religion?

Nigeria is a secular country with secular laws which don't respect any religion whatsoever. If Muslims have a problem with that, they can either try and change the constitution to favour them (good luck with that), or move to a country that recognises their particular brand of superstition like Saudi Arabia, Iran or ISIS controlled Iraq.

3 Likes

Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by LordReed(m): 7:58pm On Oct 18, 2014
I schooled in FGC Sokoto and female Muslims were allowed to wear a scarf instead of a beret and a tunic/trouser combo instead of the standard dress. We never had anyone complain that they were not allowed to wear the hijab. If agreements on what is proper are to be reached then I believe dialogue is the proper course of action rather than confrontation. Now that the court upheld the state's position I hope the participants will consider a sit down rather than a fight.

1 Like

Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by K0ala7(m): 8:04pm On Oct 18, 2014
EvilBrain1:
The way forward is for Muslim students to stop their whining and obey the school rules. Your religion does not entitle you to any special treatment or exempt you from any rules that are binding on others. Your religion is your problem and yours alone, nobody is required to do anything to accommodate your beliefs. This goes double when those beliefs are irrational and don't benefit anyone in any tangible way.

If one religion comes out and says they want to go to school nakëd, are we going to change the rules to accommodate them? What makes Muslim beliefs carry more weight that those of any other religion?

Nigeria is a secular country with secular laws which don't respect any religion whatsoever. If Muslims have a problem with that, they can either try and change the constitution to favour them (good luck with that), or move to a country that recognises their particular brand of superstition like Saudi Arabia, Iran or ISIS controlled Iraq.

I do not think you are capable of holding a serious conversation. I'll leave you with this:

"With regard to stupidity, I have already said it is of two sorts, one natural, the other acquired; the one effect of ignorance, the other of instruction. Now of these two sorts of ignorance or stupidity, which is the most incurable? The latter. The man who knows nothing may learn; it is only requisite to excite in him the desire of knowledge. But he who is falsely learned, and has by degrees lost his reason when he thought to improve it, has purchased his stupidity at too dear a rate to ever renounce it." - Helvetius
Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by K0ala7(m): 8:14pm On Oct 18, 2014
LordReed:
I schooled in FGC Sokoto and female Muslims were allowed to wear a scarf instead of a beret and a tunic/trouser combo instead of the standard dress. We never had anyone complain that they were not allowed to wear the hijab. If agreements on what is proper are to be reached then I believe dialogue is the proper course of action rather than confrontation. Now that the court upheld the state's position I hope the participants will consider a sit down rather than a fight.

The only reason I think this worked out so well in that said school is because the majority of the population is Muslim. However, I don't see the reason why this shouldn't be viable in Lagos, as well. Though, I think the fear (unsubstantiated or otherwise) of the government is that people will keep pushing the bounds of the uniform till the essence of it is lost because of numerous varieties that may arise.

In the state of Oklahoma, all in the name of religious freedom, they approved the construction of a structure with the ten commandments in front of the State assembly building. Next thing you know, a satanic group countered and started constructing their own monument to the devil that they intend to place right next to the ten commandments. Now, two things are happening.
1. Each group is expressing their right to religious freedom on government property.
2. Each group is disrespecting the other, depending on what side you find yourself.
That is the reason the government in any multi-religious society shouldn't involve itself with religion.

You can read further on the Oklahoma issue here: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/05/05/satanic-group-says-oklahoma-must-give-devil-his-due/
Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by true2god: 9:30pm On Oct 18, 2014
K0ala7:

I do not think you are capable of holding a serious conversation. I'll leave you with this:

"With regard to stupidity, I have already said it is of two sorts, one natural, the other acquired; the one effect of ignorance, the other of instruction. Now of these two sorts of ignorance or stupidity, which is the most incurable? The latter. The man who knows nothing may learn; it is only requisite to excite in him the desire of knowledge. But he who is falsely learned, and has by degrees lost his reason when he thought to improve it, has purchased his stupidity at too dear a rate to ever renounce it." - Helvetius
Your response is a sign of irrationality in your level of reasoning. Make your point and stop throwing diatribe.

Nigeria is a secular state with muslims, christians, african traditional religion adherents, etc. If muslims start asking for 'special' right to accomodate the arabian superstitutions\religions, that will only lead to more chaos when the christians starts asking for their right too.

One can dress modestly without puttin on hijab, and hijab is an arabian cultural dressings and not even an african way of dressing.

Atimes I wonder why human beings are fast retrogressing in reasoning.

1 Like

Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by HFOG(f): 9:45pm On Oct 18, 2014
LordReed:
Sokoto? Two of my siblings schooled there too.
Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by LordReed(m): 10:11pm On Oct 18, 2014
HFOG:

Sokoto? Two of my siblings schooled there too.

Really? When did they finish? I finished in 1993.
Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by K0ala7(m): 10:41pm On Oct 18, 2014
true2god:
Your response is a sign of irrationality in your level of reasoning. Make your point and stop throwing diatribe.

Nigeria is a secular state with muslims, christians, african traditional religion adherents, etc. If muslims start asking for 'special' right to accomodate the arabian superstitutions\religions, that will only lead to more chaos when the christians starts asking for their right too.

One can dress modestly without puttin on hijab, and hijab is an arabian cultural dressings and not even an african way of dressing.

Atimes I wonder why human beings are fast retrogressing in reasoning.

You ignore all the valid concerns that Muslims have as superstitions, yet I am the one devoid of reasoning. If you cared to read through the thread, you'd have noticed that I was engaging in sane discourse with the fellow above me. Regardless of how superstitious you feel Muslim beliefs are, they have been practicing them for quite a long time. So you should see why they would be aggrieved when they are no longer afforded the opportunity to practice as they have been any longer... But the assumption here is that you are able to comprehend anything you've read so far.
Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by EvilBrain1(m): 11:22pm On Oct 18, 2014
K0ala7:

You ignore all the valid concerns that Muslims have as superstitions, yet I am the one devoid of reasoning. If you cared to read through the thread, you'd have noticed that I was engaging in sane discourse with the fellow above me. Regardless of how superstitious you feel Muslim beliefs are, they have been practicing them for quite a long time. So you should see why they would be aggrieved when they are no longer afforded the opportunity to practice as they have been any longer... But the assumption here is that you are able to comprehend anything you've read so far.

What valid concerns do Muslims have regarding how females dress? Please explain them without resorting to unsupported claims from Islamic theology or superstitious rubbish.

What does the length of time Muslims have been wearing hijab have to do with anything. Calabar traditionalists have been killing twins for a long time too. Should we also change the rules to accommodate them?

Why should anybody care if Muslims feel aggrieved because they have to obey the same rules as everybody else? Do you think that Muslims should have special status above the rest of us? If so, please let us know so everybody can know that we're debating with an islamist and not a sane human being.
Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by AyindeJamiuK: 3:35pm On Oct 25, 2014
Good day everyone,

I has read with kin interest the debate on Hijab from the platform. I must say that the struggle to use Hijab didn't just started, it was some anti-Islamic teachers and principals in secondary school that started it. For those asking about the time, events is what bring about fighting for Laws. The freedom of information bill was fought for recently not because people didn't want freedom of information, but events at that time makes uniform mind to think about it at that particular time.

For your information, Muslims in schools have never been victimized for using Hijab the way we have it in recent time, this is exactly what brought about the case. Hijab is an Islamic moral injunction. The Bible even support it in 1 Corinthian 11:5 "Every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head--it is the same as having her head shaved." while verse 4 said the man should not cover his head. Don't Christian females pray while in school.

For the Christians who wish to support the ban for Hijab, please give your reason(s) without being bias, then you will see that you lack morality. The present uniform that is used in school is that given to us by the Christian Missionary, it doesn't befit the Islamic faith. We are not saying that Hijab should be enforce of all students, but just to be accepted for those who wish to use it.

In my concluding words, I must say that Nigeria has been Christianize for a very long time, the present Christians still find it difficult to accommodate other religion, yet they claim some people want to Islamize the country.
Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by LordReed(m): 6:05am On Oct 26, 2014
AyindeJamiuK:
Good day everyone,

I has read with kin interest the debate on Hijab from the platform. I must say that the struggle to use Hijab didn't just started, it was some anti-Islamic teachers and principals in secondary school that started it. For those asking about the time, events is what bring about fighting for Laws. The freedom of information bill was fought for recently not because people didn't want freedom of information, but events at that time makes uniform mind to think about it at that particular time.

For your information, Muslims in schools have never been victimized for using Hijab the way we have it in recent time, this is exactly what brought about the case. Hijab is an Islamic moral injunction. The Bible even support it in 1 Corinthian 11:5 "Every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head--it is the same as having her head shaved." while verse 4 said the man should not cover his head. Don't Christian females pray while in school.

For the Christians who wish to support the ban for Hijab, please give your reason(s) without being bias, then you will see that you lack morality. The present uniform that is used in school is that given to us by the Christian Missionary, it doesn't befit the Islamic faith. We are not saying that Hijab should be enforce of all students, but just to be accepted for those who wish to use it.

In my concluding words, I must say that Nigeria has been Christianize for a very long time, the present Christians still find it difficult to accommodate other religion, yet they claim some people want to Islamize the country.

Nigeria has been a country for the past 50+ years. In all that time Muslims and Christians have been living together in different parts of the country. Public schools have been catering to all and sundry. In all this time I have never heard of muslim female students being required by Islam to wear hijab. Are you saying that in all that time Muslim people did not know this or why is this becoming an issue at this time? The court simply upheld what is supposed to be a secular interpretation in school uniform, it is not pushing the agenda of any religion.

If Muslims feel their female children should wear hijab to school then there are ways to go about achieving that end and not by trying to stage defiance to rules.

1 Like

Re: Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools: The Way Forward by asamaigho(m): 7:19am On Oct 26, 2014
EvilBrain1:

gbam...hammer on d nail...1 billion likes

(1) (Reply)

How I Was Delivered By God, Through Pastor E-bankole / Young Girl Brought Back To Life During Sunday Church Service In FUTO / Rccg, Is Pastor Adeboye Involved In This? Confirm, Pls (picx)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.