Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,619 members, 7,809,274 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:08 AM

African Americans Lack Values And Culture - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Americans Lack Values And Culture (11628 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / Do African Americans Have A Culture? / African-Americans And Their Igbo Roots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by simplyfab(f): 8:15pm On Jan 09, 2009
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article477945.ece

That's a story of a girl who went to Nigeria and her thoughts about Malaria in Nigeria.
The news was reported by a UK based newspaper,
You can check it out and see the statistics of death caused by Malaria in Nigeria if you still want to know how bad it is.

Btwn, different sources wouln't just make up stuff about Malaria in Nigeria. It musn't be from a Nigeria newspaper for you to believe. But I'd still check and see if I'd find a Nigerian source regardless!!
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Sammy107d(m): 8:20pm On Jan 09, 2009
The thing is, a hundred media houses can construe statistics as the like; antecedents prove they are mostly unbelievable. If cnn says Nigeria has 36 states today, I'l start questioning that fact.

And nigerian parastatals can also cook up statistics to generate more fund allocation to loot. Not to say the problem in not in existence though. . .

I just know people are not stacked up in hundreds cause of malaria in nigeria.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by tallnaijaf: 8:21pm On Jan 09, 2009
Again the William Lynch syndrome is extremely pronounced in this thread.
Prejudices and bias seem not to be lacking
While substance, as is usual in discussions of this nature, fall victim
to ignorance. cry cry cry
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Sammy107d(m): 8:28pm On Jan 09, 2009
tallnaijaf:

Again the William Lynch syndrome is extremely pronounced in this thread.
Prejudices and bias seem not to be lacking
While substance, as is usual in discussions of this nature, fall victim
to ignorance. cry cry cry

Il like to believe my position on this issue is favoured regarding your statement.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by simplyfab(f): 8:34pm On Jan 09, 2009
", people are not stacked up in hundreds in Nigera cos of malaria." That's what you think.!
It's hard to believe cos of all the works of the media in trying to create awreness. One would think people would at least get aware. But they are not and there actually are people stacked in hundreds and might even be more than just hundreds because of uncivilization and ignorance!

Uncivilization and Ignorance are one out of the many reasons Nigeria is still an under-developed country!
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Sammy107d(m): 8:39pm On Jan 09, 2009
Emerging and developing country.

Well since i dont have verifiable facts, i have no stand.

nice lips by d way.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by honeric01(m): 8:41pm On Jan 09, 2009
Sammy107_d:

The thing is, a hundred media houses can construe statistics as the like; antecedents prove they are mostly unbelievable. If cnn says Nigeria has 36 states today, I'l start questioning that fact.

And nigerian parastatals can also cook up statistics to generate more fund allocation to loot. Not to say the problem in not in existence though. . .

I just know people are not stacked up in hundreds cause of malaria in nigeria.

What are you guys talking about? just post me a link directly from a Nigerian source about how Nigerians die of malaria as reported by western and out of Nigeria media. We live here, we know how the bite of Mosquitoes hurt like, Once in a while i get bitten, but since 1991, i have never been to the hospital, non has any of my family member (I can boldly say it), We don't live in VGC non in lEKKI, we live in the main city just like any other Nigerians, and i haven't really heard of thousands of people dying of malaria in Lagos, and not read on any news papers in Nigeria of thousands dying elsewhere in Nigeria due to Malaria.
Some silly people would make stories up and feed it to the public knowing that Nigerians don't have time to probe their stories,

Bottom line, Yes, we have people dying of Malaria once in a while, but not like thousand die from it within 1 week as the wicked media love painting it as if they live here,

Lastly, the health section are not helping matters too, they are quick to Link most deaths to Malaria just because we hardly conduct autopsy here and because they don't like wasting time with corpses, so they come up with a simple and popular disease name for every death they see "MALARIA" Silly,
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Sammy107d(m): 8:47pm On Jan 09, 2009
I think u quoted d wrong post
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by tallnaijaf: 8:48pm On Jan 09, 2009
simplyfab:

Uncivilization and Ignorance are one out of the many reasons Nigeria is still an under-developed country!

I disagree.
The Development, or lack thereof, of a country is exclusively dependent on its leadership.
Good leadership promotes 'forward development' and its associated benefits. Eg. Healthcare, Education, Justice and security etc.
Terrible leadership is the opposite.
One only have to examine a country's forward development to recognise the type leadership it has.

Sammy107_d:

Il like to believe my position on this issue is favoured regarding your statement.
To be honest, I have not examined your postings, but the posts opening the thread and subsequent posits
have contributed to forming my opinion.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by honeric01(m): 8:53pm On Jan 09, 2009
Those that allow malaria kill their wards are mostly people who don't give a shit about how their surroundings look. you can be poor and still be neat, thereby doing away with mosquitoes, i don't want us to deviate from what we have on ground, we are talking about Culture, Not mosquitoes and malaria,

We have mosquitoes (At least we all knew that from childhood and have been living beyond them), Even before the pills and medicines came to being, we have been surviving mosquitoes, so weather you like it or not, we are still going to survive it, and those who like dirty environment will keep dying from it, ( But i heard we have naturally built immune against mosquito bites.

Lets Leave mosquitoes issue to another thread and lets treat the topic on ground on this thread,

VALUES AND CULTURE, DOES AFRICAN AMERICAN HAVE ONE? OR DO THEY EVEN UNDERSTAND WHAT VALUE AND CULTURE IS?
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Sammy107d(m): 9:02pm On Jan 09, 2009
honeric01:

VALUES AND CULTURE, DOES AFRICAN AMERICAN HAVE ONE? OR DO THEY EVEN UNDERSTAND WHAT VALUE AND CULTURE IS?

I deem it success: that we've deviated from that topic.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by honeric01(m): 9:03pm On Jan 09, 2009
Sammy107_d:

I think u quoted d wrong post

Sorry, i quoted the wrong post,

All the same, i hate it when western media has to be the one dictating the kind of stories the world hear about Nigeria and Africa,

They are soooo GOOOD in pointing out ONLY the NEGATIVE aspect of AFRICA, SHOWING the world Pictures of STARVING kids from 10 years back, just because they still like belittling AFRICANS and BLACKS all over the world, PUTTING fear in those blacks who want them to and making them feel less human to each other,
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by honeric01(m): 9:12pm On Jan 09, 2009
At least, one of the values and culture we have here in Nigeria is to always greet an elderly person first whenever you are around them.
Your parent look over you as far as you are still under their roof, you don't go out without consulting them, you don't sleep the night out, you don't drink or smoke ( At least not in their presence even if the parents do these things lol).
Any elderly relatives can scold you when you err without waiting for your parents to report to,

You don't talk when your parents are talking,

You don't curse when you are around your parents or elderly ones

The list goes on,

But note, Many Nigerians are falling short of these values and culture because they have allowed the western influence bug into their lives, either from visiting the western world, movies, music or from just badly influenced peer groups
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Sammy107d(m): 9:18pm On Jan 09, 2009
Yep western influence. Im very grateful for my severe upbringing. Its just most unfortunate that these family values are not reflected when our government face ethical dilemmas, and when young boys get unlimited access to the internet.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by sage(m): 9:33pm On Jan 09, 2009
honeric01:

At least, one of the values and culture we have here in Nigeria is to always greet an elderly person first whenever you are around them.
Your parent look over you as far as you are still under their roof, you don't go out without consulting them, you don't sleep the night out, you don't drink or smoke ( At least not in their presence even if the parents do these things lol).
Any elderly relatives can scold you when you err without waiting for your parents to report to,

You don't talk when your parents are talking,

You don't curse when you are around your parents or elderly ones

The list goes on,

But note, Many Nigerians are falling short of these values and culture because they have allowed the western influence bug into their lives, either from visiting the western world, movies, music or from just badly influenced peer groups

we Nigerians are a joke. How does all these things you list above actually help our country develop? get good roads? healthcare? security of life and property?, good drinking water? good sanitation? good schools?

We Africans have twisted mentality. we have the "good" culture and the west has the "bad" culture or no culture right shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by sage(m): 9:39pm On Jan 09, 2009
Real Talk scenerios

1. Africans (Nigeria included) -grow up well right? tongue

Results- a decayed continent full of strife where human life is cheaper than chicken and nothing works

2. Westerners dont have culture and do not grow up well right?

Results-- good roads, light, drinking water schools, safety, functioning social system etc

NOW THE QUESTION REALLY IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH US AFRICANS not others. We have everyhthing we need and cant do shit with it. We should shut the F.U.C.KK up about AA or westerners and clean our shit up first
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Sammy107d(m): 9:45pm On Jan 09, 2009
The relationship between culture and development in Nigeria's case is a lot more complex than that. Though it should be a good foundation for the rule of law, liberalism etc, its also frustrates democracy, equality (religion, gender, age, income distribution) collectivism. . .; where traditional gender roles, extreme societal echelon, and so on, deters 'development' in western standards (skyscrapers and asphalt roads). If only we could have defined development in our own terms then we would have known how to entwine our culture and diversity (which is only beautiful in sight, as its directly correlated with strife) with it. We'll get there; it'll only take time.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Nobody: 2:10am On Jan 10, 2009
Sammy107_d:

The relationship between culture and development in Nigeria's case is a lot more complex than that. Though it should be a good foundation for the rule of law, liberalism etc, its also frustrates democracy, equality (religion, gender, age, income distribution) collectivism. . .; where traditional gender roles, extreme societal echelon, and so on, deters 'development' in western standards (skyscrapers and asphalt roads). If only we could have defined development in our own terms then we would have known how to entwine our culture and diversity (which is only beautiful in sight, as its directly correlated with strife) with it. We'll get there; it'll only take time.

Nice point made.
Also, traditional leaders have been recently known to be getting fed by the feds therefore limiting their powers to mobilize the people when the government is doing things wrongly. We need a revolution. A full one for that matter.

Karmamod,
I just got back from work to see your posts. I have to say you really are not worth attention at all. Run down!! You no even be average naija girl self. Way below average. get sonu with you hexagonal head!!!
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by honeric01(m): 12:33pm On Jan 10, 2009
Our problem is not really culture and traditonal values, i think we have a very vulnerable weak mind to always settle for whatever is fed to us, that's why the few elite use some of us to oppress the rest, so i wouldn't really say it's our culture and values that failed, i may be right or wrong but i still maintain the fact that we were the same people that allowed the few ones who started the mind game to gain more strenght and followership when we refused to tackle them the moment they starting showing up,
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by KarmaMod(f): 1:44pm On Jan 10, 2009
Mr ganga, better get better weed cos your "insults" are pathetic and juvenile. "hexagon head" Retarded much? once again, na your Iya you are referring to either. As for me, I no know you. Omo ale  grin
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by jamace(m): 5:18pm On Jan 10, 2009
What do you expect after all that their (slave) parents went through. They have to celeberate their freedom. It is not easy to have a handshake with death and later be set free. Fffffffeeeeeedddddooooommmmmm sweet oooooo grin grin grin grin cool cool cool.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by KB1(m): 8:47pm On Jan 10, 2009
So you'all don't like me because I'm a Black-American? cry
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by April22(f): 6:27am On Jan 11, 2009
Someone in this thread says this is an example of the Willie Lynch syndrome. I agree. This is divide and conquer.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by April22(f): 6:54am On Jan 11, 2009
All the same, i hate it when western media has to be the one dictating the kind of stories the world hear about Nigeria and Africa,

They are soooo GOOOD in pointing out ONLY the NEGATIVE aspect of AFRICA, SHOWING the world Pictures of STARVING kids from 10 years back, just because they still like belittling AFRICANS and BLACKS all over the world, PUTTING fear in those blacks who want them to and making them feel less human to each other,

I agree. And this is worldwide. Black people are not portrayed very well in the American media and are in subservient roles in the Spanish media. Every AA--no every person of African descent should go visit a West African country. But I also think it's important for Nigerians and other Africans to understand AAs and other Westernized blacks more. I think black South Africans understand AAs the most because the struggle has been very similar. My guess is Liberians would come in number 2 simply because of the strong AA influence there. What's interesting is Nigeria is often described by so-called experts as one of the most Americanized African countries. I'm sure 99% of the people on this board would disagree. lol.

Something else I wanted to point out is after the Civil Rights movement, because of opportunities, integration actually changed AA communities. Talk to any AA 50 and older and they'll tell you how their next door neighbors looked out for them, how you didn't talk back to elders--values very similar to Nigerian values. We really played a price for integration, but it's the same thing Nigerians in America experience. I hardly know anyone who teaches their first language to their children--speaking of nigerians here. AA culture has always changed with each generation. I do sense there are a lot of people who realize what we lost with integration. But of course life was also harder back then. What some foreign blacks don't understand is life would be a lot harder for blacks had AAs not fought. West Indians have also fought for black people in the U.S., which is sometimes overlooked because many don't have a problem identifying with AAs. But obviously both groups are of African descent and there were first generation Africans who helped made major contributions to America. That's why all this squabbling is kind of useless.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by SeanT21(f): 7:44am On Jan 11, 2009
African Americans lacks values and cultures?? shocked

Have You met everyone of them or You just watch rap videos and come to this conclusion?

I guess I should think Nigerians lack values and cultures since I have stupid 419 scammers hittin me up every day.

Stop with this nonsense.

Your topic should read "Some AA lacks values and cultures"
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Sammy107d(m): 8:26am On Jan 11, 2009
SeanT21:

African Americans lacks values and cultures?? shocked

Have You met everyone of them or You just watch rap videos and come to this conclusion?

I guess I should think Nigerians lack values and cultures since I have stupid 419 scammers hittin me up every day.

Stop with this nonsense.

Your topic should read "Some AA lacks values and cultures"

read previous pages. . . this thread doesn't need to be restarted.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Nobody: 1:29am On Jan 12, 2009
Africa, unite
cause were moving right out of Babylon
And were going to our fathers land

How good and how pleasant it would be
Before God and man, yeah
To see the unification of all Africans, yeah
As its been said already let it be done, yeah
We are the children of the Rastaman
We are the children of the higher man

Africa, unite cause the children wanna come home
Africa, unite cause were moving right out of Babylon
And were grooving to our fathers land

How good and how pleasant it would be
Before God and man
To see the unification of all rastaman, yeah

As its been said already let it be done, yeah
I tell you who we are under the sun
We are the children of the rastaman
We are the children of the higher man

So, Africa, unite, Africa, unite
Unite for the benefit of your people
Unite for its later than you think

Unite for the benefit of your children
Unite for its later than you think
Africa awaits its creators, Africa awaiting its creators
Africa, you're my forefather cornerstone
Unite for the Africans abroad, unite for the Africans a yard
Africa, unite

Bob Marley!

Do you think he's just a weed head? No he was simply prophetic and honest!!
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Nobody: 1:34am On Jan 12, 2009
You missed poetry sec by 1 mile
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Sammy107d(m): 1:34am On Jan 12, 2009
Naa he's just a weed head.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Nobody: 2:34am On Jan 12, 2009
Sammy107_d:

Naa he's just a weed head.

hahahahahahah!! I know what you mean! haha
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by girl22(f): 3:45am On Jan 12, 2009
@karmamod white people never gave us a damn thing. blacks were not permitted of getting an education or buying houses. blacks have to hunt for food and build houses for sheltor. white americans have never given us anything. what makes you think they will opress us and then help us?

pick up a book called "Self Taught: How African Americans made it" do you even read up on african americans history?

no you dont.
Re: African Americans Lack Values And Culture by Nobody: 6:48am On Jan 12, 2009
girl22:

@karmamod white people never gave us a damn thing. blacks were not permitted of getting an education or buying houses. blacks have to hunt for food and build houses for sheltor. white americans have never given us anything. what makes you think they will opress us and then help us?

pick up a book called "Self Taught: How African Americans made it" do you even read up on african americans history?

no you don't.

Stop lying too will ya? Hope you do.
Just lying to promote that victim mentality won't prove anything here.
Let it go will ya? I hope you will. Hunt where? New York? hahahaha please. Just let it slide like a hmmm I'm not gon complete that cause I think it's too dirty grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Eri King Performs Alo-mmo Festival [PHOTOS] / Nigerian Tribes Stereotypes / What you need to know about Argungu Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.