Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,704 members, 7,809,681 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:59 PM

Why Do Most Churches Avoid Taking Passage From The Book Of SONGS OF SOLOMON? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Most Churches Avoid Taking Passage From The Book Of SONGS OF SOLOMON? (918 Views)

Why Is Songs Of Solomon Always Exempted From Church Teachings ? / Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? / Why Do Preachers Avoid Songs Of Solomon? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Most Churches Avoid Taking Passage From The Book Of SONGS OF SOLOMON? by lonelydora: 11:03am On Oct 19, 2014
I don't know if this topic has been discussed before.

Since the topic of most Sunday service centers on LOVE and the book of Songs of Solomon is everything about LOVE too, why then do most churches avoid taking readings from it?

Your candid response is highly appreciated because it will help end the argument currently going on my house now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Churches Avoid Taking Passage From The Book Of SONGS OF SOLOMON? by lonelydora: 1:19pm On Oct 19, 2014
My friend said it's because some pastors may fall in temptation when reading it.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Avoid Taking Passage From The Book Of SONGS OF SOLOMON? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Oct 19, 2014
ITS A BOOK ABOUT SEX ITS USED IN COUNSELLING MARRIED COUPLES ABOUT SEX. ESPECIALLY THOSE SHY COUPLES. ITS NOT A SERMON BOOK. ONLY ONCE IN A WHILE ITS USED IN CHURCH

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Avoid Taking Passage From The Book Of SONGS OF SOLOMON? by hisableplc(m): 5:03pm On Oct 19, 2014
Believers Love world should answer that freely

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Avoid Taking Passage From The Book Of SONGS OF SOLOMON? by asalimpo(m): 5:16pm On Oct 19, 2014
On a deeper level it's not a book about sex but about a love (romantic love) relationship between a man and a woman.
It is believed to be written by Solomon in his youthful days.

Pastors do preach from it as inspired by God.
At least ,i've read books quoting from it.
As for why it's rarely used,
it's obvious, most pastors would b enbarrassed reading from it openly from the pulpit so they'd rather avoid it.
Also it depends on wat the sermon is all about.
The relationship of the male and female in d book can be a type or pointer to the relationship of Christ and his bride,the church.

Many names in d book are names of Jesus Christ.
E.g "the lily of the valley"
sos 2v1.

There's a verse about a lover having pure eyes not to behold evil,which an author explained pointed to the character of the Holy Spirit.

Lastly,all scripture is profitable for teaching,reproof,instruction etc.

Do pastors preach from ecclesiastes?
Apart from quoting a few well known verses .
Watof obadaiah,
nahum,
etc?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Avoid Taking Passage From The Book Of SONGS OF SOLOMON? by lonelydora: 4:58am On Oct 26, 2014
hisableplc:
Believers Love world should answer that freely
Why them?
Re: Why Do Most Churches Avoid Taking Passage From The Book Of SONGS OF SOLOMON? by hisableplc(m): 7:38am On Oct 26, 2014
lonelydora:

Why them?

wat i meant is dat dey will preach it better its dir motto believers LOVE world dnt mind me anyways just tryin to b nutty
Re: Why Do Most Churches Avoid Taking Passage From The Book Of SONGS OF SOLOMON? by lonelydora: 4:48am On Jun 23, 2019
hisableplc:

wat i meant is dat dey will preach it better its dir motto believers LOVE world dnt mind me anyways just tryin to b nutty

grin
Re: Why Do Most Churches Avoid Taking Passage From The Book Of SONGS OF SOLOMON? by Goshen360(m): 6:12am On Jun 23, 2019
Because they do not understand HIM WHO IS GREATER THAN SOLOMON.....He is here living in us now!
Re: Why Do Most Churches Avoid Taking Passage From The Book Of SONGS OF SOLOMON? by OkCornel(m): 6:55am On Jun 23, 2019
lonelydora:
I don't know if this topic has been discussed before.

Since the topic of most Sunday service centers on LOVE and the book of Songs of Solomon is everything about LOVE too, why then do most churches avoid taking readings from it?

Your candid response is highly appreciated because it will help end the argument currently going on my house now.

I'm still wondering why an erotic poem like songs of Solomon is included in the Bible, but books like Jasher, Enoch and some Epistles of the Apostles and ancient church fathers like Polycarp, Clement, Origen, e.t.c. were left out.

I can bet my life, if Songs of Solomon was left out of the Bible, Christians will see it as a book that inspires lust...

But since it's in the Bible, all sort of excuses will be put here to defend the actions of the council of Nicea
Re: Why Do Most Churches Avoid Taking Passage From The Book Of SONGS OF SOLOMON? by helinues: 7:23am On Jun 23, 2019
Because lyrically, Slatan, Davido, Wizkid e.t.c have taken over

(1) (Reply)

Atheism Is Not A Religion / Photo:baby Boy Born With 8 Limbs(4 Arms And Legs)in India / A Popular Young Nigeria Musician Will Die- Apostle Johnson Suleiman Releases 201

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.