Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,396 members, 7,819,411 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:54 PM

Pictures: My Snail Farm - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pictures: My Snail Farm (34634 Views)

Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm / Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm / One Of My Snail Is White See Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pictures: My Snail Farm by Asquare84(m): 10:51am On Jul 29, 2018
Baroba:

Try going to that stream during the heart of dry season and see if you will still find them, snails are seasonal, the essence of rearing them is to have snails all year round, and also give snails chance to reach there full potential in terms of weight before been picked and eaten..Those who can maintain good supply during scarcity stand a huge chance of making a decent profit..

Cola nut last long in the mouth of those that value them
Re: Pictures: My Snail Farm by Jesuschild: 4:56pm On Jul 29, 2018
Interior part of my snail farm

I commend ur effort in impacting knowledge. I'll keep following nd wud truly b n need of info on d structure soonest.
Thanks
Re: Pictures: My Snail Farm by uuzba(m): 8:02pm On Feb 11, 2019
Asquare84:
The part of Nigerian I am from we don't eat snail what you are wasting your time to rear if you go to my village stream you will see them everywhere and nobody eat them
So if we carry you to another part of Nigeria you will eat snail.
Re: Pictures: My Snail Farm by TRAVEL101(m): 6:51am On Feb 21, 2019
Asquare84:
The part of Nigerian I am from we don't eat snail what you are wasting your time to rear if you go to my village stream you will see them everywhere and nobody eat them
Which part of Nigeria
Re: Pictures: My Snail Farm by Bhorbymills1990: 7:19pm On May 16, 2020
BoluwGoldenFarm:
*Snail Foods and Feeding –*

Snails especially Achatina mainly feeds on green leaves and fruits though they can utilize other ranges of foods. Feed your snails leaves, fruits, or even formula from the feed store. Aside from food to grow tissues, snails need calcium to grow shells.

*Leaves:* Cocoyam leaves, pawpaw leaves, okra leaves, cassava leaves, eggplant leaves, cabbage and lettuce leaves.

*Fruits:* Mango, eggplant, pawpaw, banana, tomatoes, oil palm fruits, pears. and cucumber

*Feed* *Formulations*

Recommendations on formulated feed
As land pressures force people to move from extensive farming, in
which natural foods are abundant, to semi-intensive farming, it may
become necessary to introduce formulated feeds. Studies in Ghana in
which poultry feed was used in snail farming showed that this formula
has good potential in growing A. achatina.
In Archachatina marginata snail farming in Nigeria, commercially
formulated feeds are sometimes used, but they are rather expensive.
You can mix a snail feed formula yourself, using the following ingredients and ratios (in kg per 100 kg mix; recipe from Nigeria)

*right way of feeding*

*Don't put their feed on the soil*
*Get either a tray or flat wood to put* *their food*

*And get fat and a bit shallow tray to put their water*

And make sure u weigh all over

Let it be accurate so u get your 100%

Get your weighing scale

Weigh and follow d percentage .

Grind and mix all together

That's your feed formulation

*Feeding* *Snail* *Properly*

The essence of feeding the snails is to aid reproduction capacity and increase their size. Therefore, be consistent in feeding. They can eat up to 3 – 5 % of their body weight in 24hrs. Snails convert feed to body weight when a balanced diet containing protein, vitamin, minerals, calcium carbonate and phosphate is given to them. Agricultural chemicals in form of spray or powder should be avoided, as they are toxic to snails. Feed snails as much as they can eat, ensure useable water quantity daily.
If active snails are starved of food, they will shade 2 - 5% of their body weight in 24 hrs. Snails are basically fed twice in a day i.e in the evenings between 5pm - 7pm and early in the morning, between 7am-9am. Snails are nocturnal animals i.e they are more active at night. The feed items should be distributed evenly within the snailery to enhance equal feeding opportunity for all the snails. Avoid
salt and salty foods since snails do not survive high salt intake.

Weigh the ingredient onces u get them and grind them 2geda

����A self-mix snail feed formula

Ingredients kg

Maize 31.3kg
Groundnut cake 10kg
Soy bean meal 25kg
Fish meal 4kg
Wheat offal 16kg
Palm kernel cake 4.2kg
Oyster shell 8.05kg
Bone meal 1.2kg
Premix vitamins & minerals 0.25kg

N.B the protein is very high
Calcium is also high
These are the two major ingredients that make snail grow very fast. Remember snail has higher percentages of flesh & shell so for very fast growth the feed must have very high percentage of protein & calcium.
Give them vegetables like moringa & the leaves of one plant call Agunmaniye in Yoruba.... It give them very fast growth, okra leaves & pawpaw leaves
Give them fruits like watermelon, carrot ,leftover orange after sucking the water ,pear intact any fruit high in vitamin C
I am a snail farmer ....l can send you different snail pens on WhatsApp 08120528950....Gbenga

*FEED FORMULATION*

What is *wheat* *offal*

Its the waste product of wheat during processing

It contain the chaff and glutenous part of wheat seed

*Bone meal* is normal cattle bone or other bone like ( goat ,pig ,etc)
But cattle is been use CU's of its abundance

*Fish meal*
Your fish bones and other part of the fish

*pro vitamins and mineral*
You get that from those who sell animal feed as a *premix*

*Groundnut cake*
Your common *kuli kuli*

*Soyabean meal* is your main soy bean
Dry n grind
sbm is the whole bean ground but *soya bean cake* is obtained after the extraction of oil or milk from the beans

*PKC*

It's the remains of Palm kernel after the oil has been extracted

*you* *can* *get* *it* in the market

*Maize*

Is your normal maize( dry ) grind

*Oyster shell*.
Is shell of oyster dry n grind

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cassava Processing Machine / Broilers Chicken / Starting Kuroiler Farm. Journey With Us.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.