Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,208 members, 7,822,074 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:38 AM

My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates (3241 Views)

How Many Kilometres Can Your Car Travel Per Litre Of Fuel? / 1999 Toyota Camry Consumes Too Much Fuel / Help Pls: My Nissan Primera Car Consumes Fuel So Much (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by Docgenius: 12:04am On Oct 20, 2014
Hello guys I write this with pain as my Toyota Camry 1999 drinks lots of fuel and the rpm has suddenly started fluctuating to almost zero. It brings out thick black smoke from the exhaust. I changed my airflow meter and still no change. Pls help me guys am in need of good help. I reside in pH. Thanks.
Re: My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:40am On Oct 20, 2014
Docgenius:
Hello guys I write this with pain as my Toyota Camry 1999 drinks lots of fuel and the rpm has suddenly started fluctuating to almost zero. It brings out thick black smoke from the exhaust. I changed my airflow meter and still no change. Pls help me guys am in need of good help. I reside in pH. Thanks.

More detail about you vehicle is required.
Year/engine type.........
Re: My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by Lexusgs430: 5:43am On Oct 20, 2014
Changed air flow meter without diagnosing the fault(s) ?
Are threads replied to in this forum for fun? Why not read previous related issues and perform the necessary tasks ?
First and foremost, has numerously highlighted in this forum, HAVE YOUR VEHICLE SCANNED AND POST RESULTS, then contributors would know problem areas to delve their abstract scanners and tools of knowledge !!!
Re: My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by 9icetoo(m): 7:44am On Oct 20, 2014
I stay in PH and can help you scan your car and perform the limited diagnosis i can perform. Why change the air flow meter when you havent even scanned the car? I hope you have the old air flow meter with you. You might still need it. And i am doing it for free. Pray tell me, is your vehicle a four cylinder? Cos my knowledge is limited to four cylinders basically.
Re: My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by Docgenius: 10:20am On Oct 20, 2014
Mine is a 4 cylinder 2.2L 1999 Camry. I didn't change the airflow meter without a scan been done, infact I did and it showed that it was bad but nothing has changed.
I was forced to borrow a scanner and did it myself 2days ago and it showed me the following
1. System too lean bank 1
2. Air fuel sensor circuit range/performance
3. Manifold absolute pressure/ barometric pressure circuit

I hope to repeat a scan today to update u guys.
@9ice where in pH do u stay?
Re: My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:34am On Oct 20, 2014
Docgenius:
Mine is a 4 cylinder 2.2L 1999 Camry. I didn't change the airflow meter without a scan been done, infact I did and it showed that it was bad but nothing has changed.
I was forced to borrow a scanner and did it myself 2days ago and it showed me the following
1. System too lean bank 1
2. Air fuel sensor circuit range/performance
3. Manifold absolute pressure/ barometric pressure circuit

I hope to repeat a scan today to update u guys.
@9ice where in pH do u stay?

Problem with your car is your map sensor , its either not getting vacuum, harness is damaged, or map its self is faulty. also it is possible its not getting the right voltage from the ecm, start by checking the vacuum lines leading to the map, before replacing it.

Note your vehicle does not use an airflow meter.

2 Likes

Re: My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by Docgenius: 10:48am On Oct 20, 2014
@gazzuzz yea dats it the MAP sensor. Its wat was changed. Will check d vaccum lines.

1 Like

Re: My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:50am On Oct 20, 2014
Docgenius:
@gazzuzz yea dats it the MAP sensor. Its wat was changed. Will check d vaccum lines.

the name don change overnight? grin grin grin

while you are at it buy a digital multimeter or borrow one, i have a feeling you are going to need it soon
Re: My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by Docgenius: 12:37pm On Oct 20, 2014
@gazzuzz wooow shocked you really seem to know my thoughts. I was really planning to get one, I even had to browse on which one to get. Hmmm.....can u please suggest one and the likely cost of it. Thanks a lot. smiley
Re: My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:42pm On Oct 20, 2014
Docgenius:
@gazzuzz wooow shocked you really seem to know my thoughts. I was really planning to get one, I even had to browse on which one to get. Hmmm.....can u please suggest one and the likely cost of it. Thanks a lot. smiley

go to your local electronic parts store get a digital multimeter it cost between 1-2k
Re: My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:46pm On Oct 20, 2014
make sure from the harness you can get this voltage readouts[b] ignore the center pin[/b]
Re: My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by 9icetoo(m): 12:59pm On Oct 20, 2014
I stay in abuloma. U r in good hands with Gazzuzz. If u plan to come though, please come with the digital multi meter. We are going to have a lot of fun with it. lol. I am free from five in the evening. 08131562123. cheers.
Re: My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by Docgenius: 9:19pm On Oct 20, 2014
@gazzuzz thanks alot for the tips will ensure to do just that.
@ 9ice will call u 2moro
Re: My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by timbros(m): 5:30am On Oct 21, 2014
9icetoo:
I stay in abuloma. U r in good hands with Gazzuzz. If u plan to come though, please come with the digital multi meter. We are going to have a lot of fun with it. lol. I am free from five in the evening. 08131562123. cheers.

Bro, I'll need your help with that your scanner soon please. Can I call you this weekend?
Re: My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by 9icetoo(m): 12:08pm On Oct 21, 2014
timbros:

Bro, I'll need your help with that your scanner soon please. Can I call you this weekend?
I might be going out of Ph on Saturday and will be gone for a while. You can come on any day before Saturday from five PM.
Re: My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by timbros(m): 8:50pm On Oct 21, 2014
9icetoo:

I might be going out of Ph on Saturday and will be gone for a while. You can come on any day before Saturday from five PM.

Thanks man. I'll call you whenever i'm ready.
Re: My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by femicousim: 12:02am On Oct 22, 2014
the A/F sensor can also be responsible for the fuel guzzling, you will do well to pay attention to the sensor too. remember, the ECU needs its feedback to meter fuel, so you might be having rich mixture due to A/F sensor malfunction.
Re: My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by stephcruse(m): 2:01am On Jan 31, 2015
you need running scan ,that is just what you need
Re: My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by ekenzzi: 11:57am On Aug 16, 2015
I think I've learnt some stuffs from you guys discussion.
Re: My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by cardoctor(m): 12:16pm On Aug 16, 2015
If your CHECK ENGINE LIGHT is on, get the vehicle scanned and post the results here. Its better than beating about the bush here with all sorts of assumptions, insinuations, opinions and speculations........

Still searching for more grammar.

Cardoctor
Re: My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:26pm On Aug 16, 2015
This thread was opened in 2014
Re: My 1999 Camry Consumes Lots Of Fuel And Rpm Fluctuates by ekenzzi: 6:41pm On Aug 22, 2015
Please I just got my car scanned and it shows this codes; P0401 and P1133. Please what should I do now, and I've scanned my camry 1999 before now and it was P0401 and after I've replaced my thermostat that was removed am still having the fuel guzzling also. Abeg na wetin I go fit do na!!

(1) (Reply)

Do I Realy Need To Change The Brain Box? / Acura TL Vs Toyota Camry / Engine Mount.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.