Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,245 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane - Science/Technology (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane (24029 Views)

Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. / FULL DOCUMENTATION OF THE RADIO CONTROL HOMEBUILT HELICOPTER. / Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 9:23pm On Jan 23, 2015
In the upper part of the pix,is the micro bearing that will hold the modified gear.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 9:26pm On Jan 23, 2015
More micro bearing and a bearing holder (bearing block).
A brushless motor with it's mount.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 9:35pm On Jan 23, 2015
Some more bearing holders.
The two upper holders have a slightly bigger bearing. So they have been modified by fabricating a custom ring,so the shaft that goes in there,would be a nice snug fit.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 9:39pm On Jan 23, 2015
With these vital component at hand,next was to simulate how they would sit in relation to each other....
This is where a Cad comes handy,but lacking one,i decided to do it the hard way. Real live simulation!
Then goes the two bearing block,into the shaft. Next goes the gear.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 9:42pm On Jan 23, 2015
Next goes the modified gear with its two bearing blocks.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 9:47pm On Jan 23, 2015
Next goes the brushless motor.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 9:54pm On Jan 23, 2015
A close up shot of the drive train and reduction direction.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 10:06pm On Jan 23, 2015
The next thing was to acquire an aluminum sheet. The best place to get that was in my mother's kitchen. So i grabbed one of her pot cover when she wasn't looking.
The pix below shows me working on the pot lid. Am trying to cut out the edges so as to get at the round sheet.

2 Shares

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 10:12pm On Jan 23, 2015
From the real live simulation i carried out,the shape i deduced for the gearbox happened to be like the one in the pix below.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 10:18pm On Jan 23, 2015
Then i proceeded to calculating the position of the required holes to be drilled and chiseled.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 10:18pm On Jan 23, 2015
I needed two of that shape,so i made them.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 10:21pm On Jan 23, 2015
After drilling the holes,i went on to chisel the two required rectangular slots,to make room for the gears.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 6:58pm On Jan 24, 2015
After drilling the holes,i went on to couple the gears with screws to one of the aluminum template..

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 7:54pm On Jan 24, 2015
Next,i coupled the other aluminum template. And here's the finished gearbox.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:02pm On Jan 24, 2015
Now on to the propeller...
I modified my helicopter blade by cutting the length of the blade,to serve as a prop. I also had to balance them.
The pix below is the converted prop,held together by a screw. The blade measures 14cm each.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:03pm On Jan 24, 2015
On to the next stage.
It remained for the blades to be mounted..
I had a problem with my prop holder,it wasn't fixed . Being a variable pitch prop holder from a helicopter,i had to look for a way to make them fixed. I figured some sort of jig that looks like a swashplate would do the job.
So to design the swashplate(permit me to use that name),i took a little sheet of aluminum, took my necessary measurement,and i went to work.
Below is the swashplate after i had it cut,and drilled the necessary holes. It remained for the two arm to be bent on both sides.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:06pm On Jan 24, 2015
I bent the two arm at an angle of 90 degrees.
The two arm would latter hold the prop holder. The hole you see drilled on them,would hold the prop holder by virtue of a screw..

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:08pm On Jan 24, 2015
Next i twisted the arm, so they would lie parallel and sit well with the prop arm when screwed together.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:17pm On Jan 24, 2015
It was coupling time. I installed the props and slide in the swash to see if the two arm were well aligned or not.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:23pm On Jan 24, 2015
Offcourse it wasn't. I gave it a little twist and that did the job.,it was well aligned now..

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:30pm On Jan 24, 2015
Screwing time,so i screwed the arms.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:41pm On Jan 24, 2015
Now to install the props and swash on to the gearbox. First,i removed the two props so they won't be in my way. And i mounted the piece as a single unit.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by zeanslim(m): 9:43am On Jan 25, 2015
cool still following
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 2:49pm On Jan 28, 2015
I tested the unit today. It was nicer than i had expected.
Using my scale as a modified setup,i tried to measure the thrust of the prop. I got 400g at full throttle stick! Very low. I thought odd of that. On measuring my battery,i found the voltage had droped to 8.7volts.
I decided to run the test with a 12volt car battery. I got 960grams of thrust from it,with a low pitch of 7.5 degrees on the prop.
I guess my battery was down or bad. I am now charging it. When it's full,i shall repeat the exercise with a meter to see how low the battery drops voltage. If it's too much,i shall presume the battery has reached it's dead end,and look for a better battery.
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by toyo4souls(m): 11:06pm On Jan 31, 2015
where can I get electronic board materials and arduino
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by DONOCHAS(m): 2:46pm On Feb 01, 2015
Gud job OP, i dey your back, thumbs up
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by panch001(m): 12:09pm On Feb 02, 2015
wow what u ar doin is amazing i think me and u have alot in common, how can i reach u cos i have been working on my pet project for a while now but m having problems. this is my mail address audu4ni@gmail.com
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 8:34pm On Feb 03, 2015
toyo4souls:
where can I get electronic board materials and arduino

Check here; https://www.nairaland.com/1815945/call-it-arduino
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by ayili: 7:23pm On Feb 05, 2015
Nice Job man, I love what you are doing.... And am very curious to see the end result
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 10:55pm On Mar 14, 2015
Charged the battery to the full, and had it checked by my digital meter. It reads 12.02v.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:00pm On Mar 14, 2015
Next,i hooked up the battery the the plane,with the meter connected to the battery.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:08pm On Mar 14, 2015
Then i spun it up.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bitcoiner Implants Lightning Chip To Make BTC Payments By Hand (Pix) / How To Activate MTN 2GB For 200 Naira MSME Data / Magician Dynamo Levitates From The Roof Of A London Bus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.