Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,915 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:58 AM

Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane (24034 Views)

Homebuilt Gas Turbine Engine For Helicopter Propulsion. / FULL DOCUMENTATION OF THE RADIO CONTROL HOMEBUILT HELICOPTER. / Homebuilt Radio controlled Helicopter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 9:54am On Oct 27, 2014
After crossing the T,doting the I and grouting the tiles,it was now finally,time to make my batteries.
I am using the word "make" because,i am going to build a battery from a combination of batterries.
I will have to do so because i those are the only batteries i could lay my hands on at the moment.

So at the moment,i have 4 lipo batteries,rated at 1800Mah 3.6v. I am using two of these to power my Tx. So that leaves me with 2 lipo cell.
On the other note,i have a couple of li-ion cell. About 4 of them,with a rating of 2200Mah 3.6v.
I needed to make a 12v battery for my airplane from a combination of those aforementioned cells,owing to their high power to weight ratio.
So here is what i did.
But before i proceed,i would like to caution any one attempting to do this.
PLEASE DO NOT CONNECT BATTERIES OF DIFFERENT CAPACITY IN SERIES.
Don't try this at home or in a lab,not unless you have a good knowledge of lipos and li ion batteries.
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 10:27am On Oct 27, 2014
Below are the cell. The lipo are the white cell. The li-ion are the cells that looks like a normal finger battery,nickad or Nimh batteries in the picture.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 10:51am On Oct 27, 2014
Those li-ion cells were gotten from a laptop battery. In the pix above,i paralled the li-ion two,two to give a capacity of 4400Mah.
So with two 4400Mah li-ion cell,and one 3600Mah lipo. I can make a 12v battery bank by connecting the lipo and li-ion in series. Charging them would be done one by one and separately,with a power source charging each one with 4.2v. They can never be charged as a bunch at once,with a 12v power source as a charger..
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 10:53am On Oct 27, 2014
You can email me on kingsleyobinna26@yahoo.com if you have a personal enquiry.
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 10:58am On Oct 27, 2014
I starte by soldering a wire from the negative terminal of the lipo,to the postive terminal of the li-ion cell.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:08am On Oct 27, 2014
Then i soldered a wire from the negative terminal of the first stack of li-ion cell,to the positive terminal of the second stack of li-ion cell.
Therein after which i then soldered a black wire for the main negative wire. The red wire is the main positive wire.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:14am On Oct 27, 2014
A view of the side of a soldered end

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:17am On Oct 27, 2014
Here's my programable lipo charger .

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:22am On Oct 27, 2014
After all,i made a go at the batteries by charging them. I charged them separately,and waited untill the third cell was charged to the full,then i got set to do a taxi run test.
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:37am On Oct 27, 2014
Here's the airplane awaiting its first test run.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by redfigure(m): 12:32pm On Oct 27, 2014
Pakingzzz:
Ive been following your thread.
First of all, NICE WORK.
From my thesis, i dont think it will fly well, cause of the width. I think you need a thin material.
Just contributing
Good work
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by zeanslim(m): 9:34pm On Oct 28, 2014
Pakingzzz:

still following, how long does it takes to charge your batteries full ?
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:52am On Nov 09, 2014
zeanslim:

still following, how long does it takes to charge your batteries full ?

.Around 50mins.
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 11:55am On Nov 09, 2014
redfigure:

Ive been following your thread.
First of all, NICE WORK.
From my thesis, i dont think it will fly well, cause of the width. I think you need a thin material.
Just contributing
Good work

The width aint that much. Besides i've rounded the leading edges and tappered the trailing edges with a sandpaper. So the wing has an airfoil profile currently. I shall post pictures of it.
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 8:20pm On Nov 18, 2014
I did a taxi test run,to see the thrust of the propeller.
I noticed the thrust wasnt enough for a 1kg airplane. So back home i went.
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 8:44pm On Nov 18, 2014
I went back to work. I decided to build another propeller out of aluminum. It measured 7" from tip to tip. I then gave it an angle of 20 degrees towards the hub,and 10 degrees towards the tip.
After other itineries,i spun the prop. It spun up nicely without much need for balancing,owing to the fact that i was precise with my calculations and cutting.
Next,i hooked it on my airplane for a thrust test.
This time,the result was reassuring but still not enough for the 1kg craft. More importantly was the fact that the brushless motor felt very hot. This was an indication that the prop was imposing alot of load on the motor. This baffled me because i had a 120watt brushless motor,and it ought to furnish me with enough power to fly my craft. But it didnt instead it ran hot. I had a feeling there were a great deal of inefficiencies in the system.
I left it at that stage,and went ahead to do a little research.
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 8:54pm On Nov 18, 2014
After my research,i came to realize that i was running my prop at too great a speed,and it wasn't efficient at that speed,instead it was a hell of a load to the motor,and was causing a near stall,that was why my motor ran hot. Needful to say that,my motor has a kv rating of 3800kv. Which is to say that,at 1 volt,it rotates at 3800rpm. At 2 volts it rotates at 3800 times 2,and so on. So at 12 volt,it rotates at 45,600rpm. That's too great a speed for a prop. The tip speed of the prop would be exceeding the speed of sound (mach 1) at that rpm.
So i needed some sort of gearbox to step the speed down.
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Fash20: 11:06pm On Nov 18, 2014
Pakingzzz:
After my research,i came to realize that i was running my prop at too great a speed,and it wasn't efficient at that speed,instead it was a hell of a load to the motor,and was causing a near stall,that was why my motor ran hot. Needful to say that,my motor has a kv rating of 3800kv. Which is to say that,at 1 volt,it rotates at 3800rpm. At 2 volts it rotates at 3800 times 2,and so on. So at 12 volt,it rotates at 45,600rpm. That's too great a speed for a prop. The tip speed of the prop would be exceeding the speed of sound (mach 1) at that rpm.
So i needed some sort of gearbox to step the speed down.
Great work bro. I'm following you
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 2:55pm On Nov 24, 2014
I proceeded to build the step down gear.
I used a gear i got from a standing fan.
This gear has 60 tooth,and the pinion gear on my motor has 13 tooth. That is a ratio of 4.6.
So with a 3800kv motor,rotating at around 45,600Rpm,the gear shaft which is my propeller shaft will be rotating at 9,913Rpm,that's decent for me.
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 3:01pm On Nov 24, 2014
After finishing the build,i tested it by spining the setup at high throttle. A little noise indicated tight gears meshing,and the need for some clearance between them.
I gave it a little clearance,and spun it up once more. The sound was gone.
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 3:05pm On Nov 24, 2014
Next,i installed my scratchbuilt aluminum propeller. Spun it up,and the thrust was awesome,or so i thought.
Then i went for a thrust test in a nearby field.
Although i was happy at the thrust,i was still a bit hungry for more propeller power,and was dismayed somewhat.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 8:31am On Nov 25, 2014
I went back to work.. After tearing the propeller apart,i installed a plastic propeller i had had sometime,on to the aluminum prop,thus making a four bladed propeller.
Meanwhile,on my previous test with the aluminum prop,i had noticed that the motor didnt get warm at full throttle,thus ruling out any fact that the prop was overloading the motor,and giving a strong indication that more prop could be attached. This was why i went ahead to make the prop four bladed.
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 8:43am On Nov 25, 2014
After the modification,i spun up the setup. It wasn't bad..
I would know if it was bad,after a thrust test. So out to the field i went.
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 12:14pm On Nov 28, 2014
The result was awesome. The thrust was much that the airplane lifted about half a foot off the ground. Unprepared for a maiden(first flight of an aircraft),i brought down the throttle and the airplane landed hard on the ground. I had a friend to video the scene. It was done with a high resolution camera,eventualy the size is too large. I can't afford to upload a video of such size. so i want to convert it to mobile mp4 and 3gp. I shall upload it soon.
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 12:21pm On Nov 28, 2014
For now,i am becoming good on the simulator.
The simulator i am using is Fms. It is a freeware stuff,you can download it @ www.Modelsimulator.Com
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 6:07pm On Dec 17, 2014
Below is a pix of my reduction gearbox.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 6:34pm On Dec 17, 2014
The gearbox installed into the nacelle.

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 7:05pm On Dec 17, 2014
The wing of my airplane was modified to have ailerons and flaps seperately. I used one servo for each. The servos are mounted inside the body of the airplane,and control rods are used to transmit the movements to the ailerons and the flaps.

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Pakingzzz(m): 7:13pm On Dec 17, 2014
Here's the modified airplane..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by Fash20: 9:19pm On Dec 17, 2014
Pakingzzz:
The gearbox installed into the nacelle.
you are toooooooooooooooooooooo much

1 Like

Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 5:56pm On Dec 20, 2014
whaooooooo....happy to follow this topic
Re: Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane by PapiWata: 8:02pm On Dec 20, 2014
Parkingzz, I don't understand why you are making your own propellers, since home-made props are bound to be so much harder to balance to prevent vibration. Just looking at that METAL 4-blade propeller on your plane, I will venture to say that the bird will NEVER fly with that heavy, clearly unbalanced propeller concept. Go with factory bought propellers, and save yourself a whole ton of pointless "busy work".

Same thing for batteries. If you are ordering lipo battery cells, then why not just order pre-assembled batteries from Hobby King ? In constructing air-frame from scratch, you have demonstrated great skill RC plane fabrication, BUT, you will progress so much faster if you buy your batteries, propellers, ESCs and such assembled and ready to go.

The amount of trimming and sanding to balance a factory manufactured propeller will be significantly less than the time and effort it will take to balance that home-made 4-blade propeller you have made. My hat is off to you brother, but I think you can really speed up your progress by avoiding any tasks that are akin to re-inventing the wheel.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bitcoiner Implants Lightning Chip To Make BTC Payments By Hand (Pix) / Magician Dynamo Levitates From The Roof Of A London Bus / Scientists Reveal Brain Of 233-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.