Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,672 members, 7,823,899 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

South African Athlete Oscar Pistorius Has Been Jailed For Five Years - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / South African Athlete Oscar Pistorius Has Been Jailed For Five Years (425 Views)

Uh-oh! Oscar Pistorius Has Finally Been Convicted Of Murder / P'square And Flavour Flexing With 5 Sexy South African Girls / Oscar Pistorius Trial: Judge Delivering Verdict, LIVE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

South African Athlete Oscar Pistorius Has Been Jailed For Five Years by kingDavidda1st(m): 10:00am On Oct 21, 2014
From a globally lauded athlete to convicted killer, Oscar Pistorius' fall from grace culminated Tuesday with a five-year sentence in the shooting death of his girlfriend. The sentence was imposed for the charge of culpable homicide, which in South Africa means a person was killed unintentionally, but unlawfully. He was also given a three-year sentence on a firearms charge, but it was suspended. During his trial, the double-amputee sprinter often sobbed at the mention of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp's name. He insisted that he mistook her girlfriend for an intruder when he shot her through a toilet door on Valentine's Day 2013.Opening the session Tuesday, Judge Thokozile Masipa emphasized that the decision on sentencing would be"mine and mine alone."She pointed out that sentencing is not an exact science but relies on an assessment of elements including the nature and seriousness of the crime, the personal circumstances of the accused and the interests of society. She must also take into account the factors in sentencing of retribution, deterrence and rehabilitation. In any case, she said, "sentencing is about achieving the right balance."Masipa then began to outline the arguments given by defense witnesses at the sentencing hearing last week. Pistorius' defense has called for a sentence of house arrest and community service, rather than the prison term demanded by the prosecution.
Re: South African Athlete Oscar Pistorius Has Been Jailed For Five Years by freecocoa(f): 10:06am On Oct 21, 2014
I'm so commenting on all the oscar threads today.
Re: South African Athlete Oscar Pistorius Has Been Jailed For Five Years by sirjohnson(m): 11:48am On Oct 21, 2014
Good news. God punish devil

(1) (Reply)

MC TED Live In Calabar / My Fear About Marriage- Genevieve Nnaji / Do Riches Make You Mature?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.