Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,215 members, 7,815,245 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years (1592 Views)

Oscar Pistorius: The Final Countdown / Oscar Pistorius Charged With Murder Of Reeva Steenkamp / Pistorius Crushed His Girlfriend's Skull Before Shooting Her (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by meedx: 11:06am On Oct 21, 2014
A recap as Pistorius waits in the holding cell at the high court in Pretoria to be taken to begin his prison sentence:

Judge Thokozile Masipa has given Pistorius a five-year prison sentence for the culpable homicide of Reeva Steenkamp.
She also handed down a three-year sentence for negligently discharging a firearm in a crowded restaurant, wholly suspended and to be served concurrently.
There are disputed claims about how long the athlete will serve in prison, with the defence team indicating it expects him to be considered for house arrest after 10 months, and the National Prosecuting Authority insisting he must serve a minimum of one-third in jail: 20 months.
Pistorius is expected to be moved this afternoon to Kgosi Mampuru II prison, formerly Pretoria Central, where it is anticipated he will be housed in the hospital wing.
The Pistorius family is due to give a press conference shortly
source:http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2014/oct/21/oscar-pistorius-sentencing-prison-live
Re: SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by mondob2k(m): 11:07am On Oct 21, 2014
he got served
Re: SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by meedx: 11:10am On Oct 21, 2014
A striking picture of Pistorius being taken down to the holding cell below the court, clutching the hands of his uncle and aunt, Arnold and Lois Pistorius, who have supported him throughout the trial

Re: SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by meedx: 11:13am On Oct 21, 2014
Pistorius enters Police van
Source: sky News

Re: SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by meedx: 11:15am On Oct 21, 2014
Pistorius family statement

Oscar Pistorius’s uncle, Arnold Pistorius, is addressing reporters outside the court.

Today a new season starts for us as a family … Not just the Pistorius family alone, but the Steenkamp family.

It has been a harrowing 20 months. We are all emotionally drained and exhausted.

The case that was set down for three weeks originally has been dragged out for seven months – in fact, for 20 months [since the bail hearing].

In the process, [the state] decided to inflict as much collateral damage as they could, by keeping the cloud of premeditated murder as long as possible … The truth became totally irrelevant to the state’s case to make premeditated murder stick.

We accept the judgment. Ocar will embrace this opportunity to pay back to society.

I appeal to all of you as the media to accept the ruling of the court. After 20 months of relentless public trial, I would ask you … to let us move forward … and give us some degree of dignity and privacy as we do so.

I want to say something as an uncle. I hope Oscar will start his own healing process as we walk down the path of restoration. As a family we are ready to support and guide Oscar as he serves his sentence.

Please understand that I don’t want to take any questions.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2014/oct/21/oscar-pistorius-sentencing-prison-live
Re: SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by royalcode: 11:32am On Oct 21, 2014
Some closure finally
Re: SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by busterr(m): 11:33am On Oct 21, 2014
amount of jail term will bring back the
dead! they're just making money out of this
court sessions maybe they woulda kill him
instead if the prosecutor insists.
Re: SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by meedx: 11:36am On Oct 21, 2014
Pistorius, who has left the court in a prison van, is expected to arrive at Kgosi Mampuru II prison, formerly Pretoria Central, fairly soon. As Pretoria Central, the jail was notorious for holding political prisoners and was the official site for capital punishment carried out in South Africa during the apartheid era.
Re: SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by meedx: 11:41am On Oct 21, 2014
busterr:
amount of jail term will bring back the
dead! they're just making money out of this
court sessions maybe they woulda kill him
instead if the prosecutor insists.
Nothing is ever going to bring her back. We might not be satisfied with the sentence but at the end of the day that's what justice is all about. We could say perhaps , some closure finally
Re: SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by sirjohnson(m): 11:46am On Oct 21, 2014
Good news. God punish devil
Re: SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by meedx: 11:48am On Oct 21, 2014
Pistorius has reportedly arrived at Kgosi Mampuru II prison.
He was taken inside through another entrance.

Re: SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by kingmekus(m): 12:09pm On Oct 21, 2014
after all the cry and catarrh weh d guy lick??..
Re: SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by GyimahRSA: 12:38pm On Oct 21, 2014
Oskido is lucky he will be at the single cells for disbaled people. Otheryz he was gonna be killed in few minutes kiss kiss kiss kiss

MOST DANGEROUS PRISON GANGS IN THE WORLD.

The true ZULU WARRIORS THE NUMBER GANG OF SOUTH AFRICA RULE!!!!!!!!!These warriors are from different races and are found everywhere.
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

http://www.criminaljusticedegreehub.com/10-most-dangerous-prison-gangs/

Re: SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by GyimahRSA: 12:41pm On Oct 21, 2014
WE CRY FOR YOUR BLOOD EVERY MINUTE!!!!!!!!Hosh 7!!!!!!!!!! cry cry cry cry
Re: SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by meedx: 12:44pm On Oct 21, 2014
The giant facility on the outskirts of the capital crams 17 bunk beds into communal cells measuring around 100ft by 30ft. Photograph: Sizwe Ndingane / Barcroft Media

Re: SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by meedx: 1:11pm On Oct 21, 2014
kingmekus:
after all the cry and catarrh weh d guy lick??..
Today was different, his face was expressionless and carried no emotion. As the Judge read out the sentence, he just stood with a "stoned Face".
Re: SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by AgreatMan: 4:37pm On Oct 21, 2014
Oscar was supposed to befriend that chic just so he can show off his latest trophy to his pals while Reeva was supposed to play nice just long enough so she can tap into Oscar's popularity and boost her own public profile, n in turn, boost her modelling career. That was how they were supposed to act the movie but they freaking lost their plots.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by Nobody: 5:27pm On Oct 21, 2014
nairaland is fcked I swear. dis is a verdict dat was reached early dis morning and its yet to reach d front page. something every media house in d world is following live..

its about 17:25pm by my time, and I had to ask Google b4 I found dis thread.
Seun, u better wake up.. some of ur ?Mods need to be fired.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by meedx: 7:18pm On Oct 21, 2014
2tex:
nairaland is fcked I swear. dis is a verdict dat was reached early dis morning and its yet to reach d front page. something every media house in d world is following live..

I very much agree with you on this, gone are the days you log on to nairaland to get updates on world events.
Presently, all we see on fp is tiwa or chikka ike that, wizkid did that, as if we have no intellect.
It is high time Seun overhaul the present kid mods and replace them with intellectuals

1 Like

Re: SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by Rejjie: 9:02pm On Oct 21, 2014
Judgement well served!
Re: SENTENCE UPDATE: Oscar Pistorius Jailed For Five Years by royalcode: 9:15pm On Oct 21, 2014
2tex:

Got me thinking how these mods rate a topic or thread worthy of front page.
front page does not seem informative as it use to be.
frankly, mods seem to be derailing frontpage

(1) (Reply)

Even The Devil Wasn't Gay Says Robert Mugabe As He Attack Obama / Boss Putin Ousts Another Western Puppet / All The World Leaders Kicked Against Catalan Referendum..us, Eu, France...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.