Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,261 members, 7,836,192 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:41 PM

Six Browser Plug-ins That Protect Your Privacy - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Six Browser Plug-ins That Protect Your Privacy (620 Views)

Cpu Z Quickly Figure Out Ins And Outs Of Computer / My Laptop Plug In But Not Charging / Facebook New Change May Be Out To Expose More Of Your Privacy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Six Browser Plug-ins That Protect Your Privacy by naijajobspost(m): 11:52am On Oct 21, 2014

AdBlock

Price: Free; accepts user contributions

Compatible with: Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari

Not to be confused with Adblock Plus (which originated as a Firefox extension), AdBlock currently works with Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Opera browsers.
Adblock Rick Broida AdBlock offers some useful toggles from its toolbar pull-down menu.

What it does: Blocks ads, of course. With AdBlock running, you shouldn't encounter any banners, pop-ups or video ads. However, the plug-in makes no claim to prevent tracking.

How it performed: Because AdBlock isn't compatible with Internet Explorer, I confined my testing to Chrome. The tool offers some useful toggles from its toolbar pull-down menu, including options to pause the plug-in, disable it for just the current page or disable it for the entire domain. This last could come in handy if you discovered a compatibility issue with, say, a site's comment system. I never encountered any such issues.

Rather, AdBlock worked exactly as advertised, keeping ads at bay virtually everywhere I went. It made for a blissfully ad-free viewing experience at Crackle and YouTube. Hulu actually detected the presence of AdBlock and flashed a message asking me to enable ads for the site. After about 30 seconds, however, the message disappeared and the show began playing. So while I didn't have to actually watch the commercial, I didn't enjoy uninterrupted viewing.

Also, AdBlock tallied just five blocked items at TMZ.com, while Adblock Plus counted 14. Why the difference? It's tough to say, because neither program indicates exactly what's been filtered. The only visible difference was that, while AdBlock reformatted the page content to compensate for eliminated ads, Adblock Plus left a few empty spaces.

Bottom line: If you want a mostly ad-free online experience, this does the trick. But AdBlock isn't quite as privacy-minded as Adblock Plus, and Internet Explorer users will have to look elsewhere.

Adblock Plus

Price: Free; accepts user contributions

Compatible with: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, Safari

Don't let the name fool you; Adblock Plus is not a "pro" version of AdBlock. Rather, it's a very similar tool that just happens to have a very similar name. (In fact, the former predates the latter by a few years.) It's somewhat controversial because it accepts money from some large companies to allow their advertising through as part of its "acceptable ads" policy.
Adblock Plus Rick Broida Adblock Pl............................

Read full post here

(1) (Reply)

Buhari is what we need / Windows Takes Long Time Or Ages To Shut Down / PLS HELP!!! Having Issues Acessing Some Websites On My Laptop...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.