Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,604 members, 7,820,161 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:42 AM

Facebook New Change May Be Out To Expose More Of Your Privacy - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Facebook New Change May Be Out To Expose More Of Your Privacy (574 Views)

5 Tools That Can Help Secure Your Online Privacy / Six Browser Plug-ins That Protect Your Privacy / I Want To Expose A Secret Website, To My Fellow Nigerians, This Site Is All Abo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Facebook New Change May Be Out To Expose More Of Your Privacy by Mbeki: 9:51am On Dec 11, 2009
Facebook's new changes are obviously intended to get people to open up even more of their Facebook data to the public," EFF lawyer Kevin Bankston said in a blog post.
"The Facebook privacy transition tool is clearly designed to push users to share much more of their Facebook info with everyone, a worrisome development that will likely cause a major shift in privacy level for most of Facebook's users, whether intentionally or inadvertently."
Prior to the change, Facebook users could keep everything but their names and networks private.
A newly created "public" category at Facebook now includes names, profile pictures, home cities, pages users have joined as "fans," gender and friend lists.
"There is a whole lot more information that users have no ability to keep private," Ozer noted.
Software that walks people through modifying privacy settings recommends making more personal information public and doesn't allow stricter settings than were previously in place, according to the ACLU.
"If users aren't careful, the transition tool will transition them to less privacy," Ozer said.
The privacy change doesn't address the ability of third-party applications installed in Facebook profiles to mine data from the social network, according to the ACLU.
"Facebook's system now is if I am friends with you, I am friends with all the stupid apps you run too," Ozer said. "Even if your friend takes a quiz, they could be giving away your personal information."

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091211/tc_afp/usitcompanyprivacyinternetfacebook_20091211033403
Re: Facebook New Change May Be Out To Expose More Of Your Privacy by blackweaver(m): 10:49am On Dec 11, 2009
yeah i last time i logged on to fb i was asked to change some settings and when i went i found
out that the recommended settings were not to my liking; i propmtly changed it back to my
previous settings
Re: Facebook New Change May Be Out To Expose More Of Your Privacy by AKO1(m): 11:09am On Dec 11, 2009
People can still control every detail of their information, so I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

(1) (Reply)

Does Opera Mini Work / Downloading Problem / Mp3 Problem?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.