Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,361 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. - Sports (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. (55302 Views)

Jay-jay Okocha Celebrates His 42nd Birthday Today / Who Is The Most Successful Nigerian In Epl History? / Final Three World Best Players Nominees (fifa Ballon D Or) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by chucky234(m): 6:28am On Oct 24, 2014
dayoade2007:

I pity your condition wit dat statement dat Hazard is overrated, guess u must be high or sumtin
I hate replying birdbrain like you, Hazard is just average and I can prove it.
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by chucky234(m): 6:35am On Oct 24, 2014
xtervaganza:
you're comparing a striker with a playmaker. You're a genius, aren't you?

Football illiterate
Who is the striker? Neymar is a winger cum midfielder and that is same role Hazard, CR7, Di Maria plays, at Santos Borges was the main striker while Neymar operated from the wings or just behind Borges (same role Lampard play), in the national team you have either Jo or Fred as the main striker while Neymar and Hulk mann the wings with Oscar playing just behind the main striker in the number 10 role.
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by buskie13(m): 6:40am On Oct 24, 2014
goodgood2:

The goats that drew up the so-called list overlooked them. Nna, a whole Yakubu wey been dey score @ least 20 goals a season. #ShameToTheGoats
I swear.....they were high on some form of local German beer
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by icekenkey(m): 6:41am On Oct 24, 2014
Where is Essien?
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by Paretomaster(m): 6:44am On Oct 24, 2014
M4gunners:
I you through with your Jaja quote?Oldest player to score in CL, i just laugh at you.Then Francisco Toti is the youngest i guess . We are talking about EPL not CL bro.If you go that far,then you have to forget this argument because Henry stood in podium 3 good times for WORLD FTBALLER OF THE YEAR did you see me mention it before? Titi won 3 straight highest goal scorer and the only player to win it 4 times.The only thing that makes sense here in my opinion is that Giggs has never been sent off of Field in his Career.

Wat are u blabbling about, are d record not correct? Tell me wen Totti score in d UCL as d oldest player.

Argue as u like Giggs remain d best player to grace d EPL.
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by tuffgongjo(m): 7:30am On Oct 24, 2014
Edmomd:

If Hazard just joined, what about Nemnja Matic?
Is matic on the list?
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by tuffgongjo(m): 7:32am On Oct 24, 2014
Paretomaster:

Wat are u blabbling about, are d record not correct? Tell me wen Totti score in d UCL as d oldest player.

Argue as u like Giggs remain d best player to grace d EPL.
Totti is the oldest goal scorer in ucl 38years$3days,he broke Giggs' record when he scored against man city the same day that Xavi broke Giggs' ucl appearance record.
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by edi287: 7:34am On Oct 24, 2014
chucky234:
Gervino was the man behind those records, his assists and goals return as an attacker is below average. Check Neymar's record at 18 then you will understand why Hazard is so overrated.
This.

Alot of his goals that season were penalties too.
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by edi287: 7:40am On Oct 24, 2014
Giggs better than henry, cantona, bergkamp, viera??...This list was def compiled by a bunch of morons.

For the guys talking about trophies; well Pedro and Busquets have won more trophies than cr7...does that make them better than cr7??
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by dondavidson(m): 7:47am On Oct 24, 2014
where's mikel?
Anyway, see gap between yaya & jay-jay

this list isnt constant.
Like next year, people like dimaria, costa, oscar,sanchez would join & some on d list wuld drop out.
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by uchdavinci: 7:54am On Oct 24, 2014
Where is our mid-field maestro... Mikel Obi?
Make dis ppl take dia time for dis kinda shortlisting oo.
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by Nobody: 7:55am On Oct 24, 2014
chucky234:
Cech is on the list, your Hazard is average and way overrated.
......van dar saar and cech are both on the list...
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by sergentAP: 8:09am On Oct 24, 2014
WHERE IS MICHAEL OWEN?
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by Clefcentfelix(m): 8:42am On Oct 24, 2014
M4gunners:
Oh and Henry did not,is that what you are trying to tell me? Until you have a better reason to convince me to accept this Table,before then Henry is number one.
Henry's career in the premier league didn't last as long as Giggs' did, Henry didn't win as many Premier league as Giggs did, Henry didn't win the Champions league in a premier leagues outfit, Henry played in other leagues, Giggs loyalty was always to the premier League. Giggs is the most decorated Premier league player. Little wonder he evolved from a player to a player coach and now an assistant manager in the same premier league outfit
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by hemor(m): 8:43am On Oct 24, 2014
Ricardo2400:

Its not about shining, has Hazard won the epl before? What has Hazard achieved in the epl, if chelsea plays witout Hazard they would stil win comfortably, Suarez made more influence in the epl than both of those players u mentioned
madrid wins without Ronaldo. man utd wins without rooney. chelsea wins without hazard. man city wins without yaya toure. psg wins without ibrahimovic. for liverpool not to be able to win without suarez is there own problem. that's why you register a 25 man squad.

Also, neither suarez nor hazard won the EPL. hazard also won the pfa award in his first season, where was suarez? I'm not a chelsea fan but hazard deserves to be there and both RVP and fabregas should be above suarez.
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by HerexG(m): 9:17am On Oct 24, 2014
Where is Yak na ? Yakubu Ayegbeni should be in that list.
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by jeebz: 9:42am On Oct 24, 2014
Guys, it's a list not a ranking. Telegraph is not giving any awards.
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by mechanics(m): 10:12am On Oct 24, 2014
Wow, dats a nice position, its nt easy 4 one's name to b mentioned after retirement, i respected Okocha during his days, i was always eager to watch him do his leg over style, dats wat our players shud emulate, nt dis players dat wil ave nw who fight n go on strike because of bonus package.
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by topemirates(m): 12:09pm On Oct 24, 2014
chucky234:
British newspaper Telegraph has unveiled a list of the top 100 players in the last 28 years, on the
proviso that the nominated players must have graced the English Premier League since its
inception.

On the 93rd position is retired Nigeria international Jay Jay Okocha, who played for Bolton
Wanderers from 2002 - 2006.

The editors said about the former PSG and Fenerbahce maestro : “The Nigerian international was
one of many eye-catching signings made by Sam Allardyce at Bolton in 2002 and he instantly
became a fans’ favourite.”

“Bolton went from perennial relegation battlers to European football during his four years there,
with Okocha giving the lie to the perception that Wanderers relied on brute force to succeed.

“As Bolton fans put it in one of their chants, he was “so good they named him twice.”

Austin Okocha scored 14 goals in 124 appearances for Bolton Wanderers, and the highlight of his
stay at the Macron Stadium was inspiring the side to the final of the 2004 League Cup.

Football experts Henry Winter, Alan Smith, Jason Burt, Mark Ogden and Jeremy Wilson were
among the panelists that drew up the list

Top 100 Players To Grace English Premier League

(1) Ryan Giggs
(2) Thiery Henry
(3) Roy Keane
(4) Alan Shearer
(5) Paul Scholes
(6) Cristiano Ronaldo
(7) Patrick Vieira
(cool Eric Cantona
(9) Dennis Bergkamp
(10) Frank Lampard
(11) Steven Gerrard
(12) John Terry
(13) Peter Schmeichel
(14) Wayne Rooney
(15) Didier Drogba
(16) Ashley Cole
(17) Rio Ferdinand
(18) Luis Suarez
(19) Yaya Toure
(20) Tony Adams
(21) David Beckham
(22) Gary Neville
(23) Andy Cole
(24) Vincent Kompany
(25) Robert Pires
(26) Robbie Fowler
(27) Robin Van Persie
(28) Nemanja Vidic
(29) Gary Speed
(30) Gianfranco Zola
(31) Jaap Stam
(32) Gareth Bale
(33) David Seaman
(34) Matt Le Tissier
(35) Sergio Aguero
(36) Ian Wright
(37) Cesc Fabregas
(38) Teddy Sheringham
(39) Ruud Van
Nistelrooy
(40) Jamie Carragher
(41) Claude Makelele
(42) Michael Owen
(43) Xabi Alonso
(44) Edwin Van Der Sar
(45) Dwight Yorke
(46) Dennis Irwin
(47) David Silva
(48) Sol Campbell
(49) Emmanuel Petit
(50) Les Ferdinand
(51) Mark Hughes
(52) Fernado Torres
(53) Pablo Zabaleta
(54) Sami Hyppia
(55) Patrice Evra
(56) Ledley King
(57) Jurgen Klinsmann
(58) Marcel Desailly
(59) Lee Dixon
(60) Branislav Ivanovic
(61) Gary Pallister
(62) Peter Cech
(63) David Ginola
(64) Ole Gunnar
Solskjaer
(65) Carlos Tevez
(66) Steve Bruce
(67) Marc Overmars
(68) Luca Modric
(69) Nicky Butt
(70) Dimitar Berbatov
(71) Nicolas Anelka
(72) Steve McManaman
(73) Peter Beardsley
(74) Tim Cahill
(75) Ricardo Carvalho
(76) David Batty
(77) Michael Carrick
(78) Lucas Radebe
(79) Jimmy Floyd
Hassel-baink
(80) Paul Ince
(81) Joe Hart
(82) Martin Keown
(83) Gus Poyet
(84) Graeme Le Saux
(85) Nigel Winterburn
(86) David James
(87) Roberto Di Matteo
(88) Pepe Reina
(89) Paolo Di Canio
(90) Shay Given
(91) Chris Sutton
(92) Robin Keane
(93) Jay-Jay Okocha
(94) Kevin Phillips
(95) Michael Ballack
(96) Freddie Ljungberg
(97) Tim Howard
(98) Phil Neville
(99) Scott Parker
(100) John Barnes
www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=13248

Matt Le Tissier, Ian Wright, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, down the list Mtcheeeeeewwww!!!
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by KunAviero(m): 12:51pm On Oct 24, 2014
What is Beckham doing way down the list? I'm not a huge naija fan when it comes to naija soccer but if my memory is correct, Yakubu is the only Nigerian and I think the fastest African to score 100 epl goals but yet he is not worthy of the list? This is one of the reasons why suarez bites people.
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by ThierryJay: 1:17pm On Oct 24, 2014
edi287:
Giggs better than henry, cantona, bergkamp, viera??...This list was def compiled by a bunch of morons.

For the guys talking about trophies; well Pedro and Busquets have won more trophies than cr7...does that make them better than cr7??

U and many others misunderstand the intent of the list. It's not about who is the better player but who has had greater impact/influence while playing in the EPL. it's for this reason that CR7 who didn't score up to 100 epl goals in 6 seasons is in 6th position. his Madrid exploits don't count.

Players who have won trophies at the highest level, received international recognition, played for many EPL seasons will be deemed greater than those who performed brighter for only one or two seasons. This is why Giggs is no 1 and why Nicky butt is ranked higher than JayJay okocha.

For the records, I think Thierry Henry has produced the greatest scintillating and consistent world class performances ever seen in the premier league and as such should be the greatest EPL player. However I understand the rationale for honouring Giggs for his longevity and impressive trophy haul.

In my opinion, Alan shearer should be no 2 after Henry. Beckham should be higher up cos he was nominated twice for FIFA world player of the year (99 & 2001) and came second. Michael Essien should definitely be in there as there was no better bombarding EPL powerhouse during chelsea's conquering season 04-07. Same could be said for Damien duff whom I think had more impact than scott parker. Give hazard one more top flight season performance, and he'll be in. Kanu can't be there as Wiltord isn't even there.

On the whole, fair list.

1 Like

Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by neroysc: 1:39pm On Oct 24, 2014
Austin Okocha scored 14 goals in 124 appearances for Bolton Wanderers from 2002-2006. So basically, he scored an average of 3 goals a season.. Choi.. shocked shocked
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by Johnbosco77(m): 1:54pm On Oct 24, 2014
timothyuche1:
Where is Hazard, Costa, Mikel Obi, Van daa Saar, Layman, (abi keeper no follow for players)
They are not serious
u no see Edwin van der sar
check nos 44 to 46.
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by Chammypresh1(f): 2:34pm On Oct 24, 2014
timothyuche1:
Where is Hazard, Costa, Mikel Obi, Van daa Saar, Layman, (abi keeper no follow for players)
They are not serious
did dey start playing from EPL's inception?
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by aspirebig: 2:46pm On Oct 24, 2014
This post just make one thing clear, meaning that Oyibos recognised Jay Jay Okocha more than Kanu in EPL .Simple.

Compilers of the list, their head dey shake.No doubt.....See funny funny position.
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by princebergz(m): 3:33pm On Oct 24, 2014
timothyuche1:
They are not serious

like seriously?
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by kuderrich: 3:54pm On Oct 24, 2014
tuffgongjo:
To me Becks is just over hyped throughout his career.
don't mind dem nah fine boi him come do for EPL
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by princebergz(m): 4:10pm On Oct 24, 2014
ThierryJay:

U and many others misunderstand the intent of the list. It's not about who is the better player but who has had greater impact/influence while playing in the EPL. it's for this reason that CR7 who didn't score up to 100 epl goals in 6 seasons is in 6th position. his Madrid exploits don't count.

Players who have won trophies at the highest level, received international recognition, played for many EPL seasons will be deemed greater than those who performed brighter for only one or two seasons. This is why Giggs is no 1 and why Nicky butt is ranked higher than JayJay okocha.

For the records, I think Thierry Henry has produced the greatest scintillating and consistent world class performances ever seen in the premier league and as such should be the greatest EPL player. However I understand the rationale for honouring Giggs for his longevity and impressive trophy haul.

In my opinion, Alan shearer should be no 2 after Henry. Beckham should be higher up cos he was nominated twice for FIFA world player of the year (99 & 2001) and came second. Michael Essien should definitely be in there as there was no better bombarding EPL powerhouse during chelsea's conquering season 04-07. Same could be said for Damien duff whom I think had more impact than scott parker. Give hazard one more top flight season performance, and he'll be in. Kanu can't be there as Wiltord isn't even there.

On the whole, fair list.

God bless you
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by Fluidelvis(m): 4:33pm On Oct 24, 2014
..and one dude was here a few weeks back saying Jay-Jay was over-hyped!
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by grandstar(m): 8:38pm On Oct 24, 2014
donstevico:
how can Beckham be 21 on the list??
it is not in any particular order.
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by hikmojj(m): 8:48pm On Oct 24, 2014
timothyuche1:

U must be high with some local herbs, wetin shevy do for Epl

haba take it eazy on dis guy na....smh
Re: Jay Jay Listed In 100 Best Players In EPL History. by hikmojj(m): 8:51pm On Oct 24, 2014
timothyuche1:
They are not serious

bros Van dar sar de now...44

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Okocha Dares Kanu Nwankwo In Ball Juggling, Guess Who Won? (Video) / Egypt Goalkeeper, Gabaski, The Talk Of The Continent Despite AFCON Loss / Okocha Annoying Hype

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.