Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,332 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments (2357 Views)

El-rufai Announces Autonomy For Local Councils, Swears-in Sole Administrators / Governors Reject Autonomy For Local Government Councils / Rivers Assembly Okays $280m Loan For Water, Sanitation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by 1goodman: 5:48am On Oct 22, 2014
National Assembly okays autonomy for local governments

The National Assembly on Tuesday, granted full financial and administrative autonomy to all the 774 local council authorities across Nigeria by ammending section 124 of the nation’s constitution.

The section provides a consequential provision for the making of the local councils, a full third tier government without undue interference from the state governments.

The ammendment was one of the 22 others approved by the House of Representatives last week and ratified by the Senate on Tuesday.

Both chambers had through a conference committee harmonised versions of the ammendments into the constitution carried out by each of them last month.

By the development, the National Assembly had ratified all the 23 clauses and sections that had been ammended by both chambers.

The newly ammended document which would be sent to States Houses of Assembly, for approval, also approved the creation of the Office of Auditor – General of the Local Government as well as the State Local Government Service Commission.

The section equally deleted the State Independent Electoral Commission from the constitution thereby vesting the powers to conduct council elections on the Independent National Electoral Commission.

It however, retained the immunity clause in the constitution for the President and Governors by adopting the Senate version of the ammendments on the issue and rejected the House of Representatives version which removed the immunity clause.

The National Assembly also made provisions for Independent candidacy in future elections in Nigeria by ammending sections 65 and 106 of the 1999 constitution.

source: http://www.punchng.com/news/national-assembly-okays-autonomy-for-lgs/
Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by OAUTemitayo: 6:06am On Oct 22, 2014
Now i know our legislators are mofos, do this people know that the third level of government under federal system of government suppose to be under the state government.
didnt they copy this federal system from America.
dundee senators
Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by lekejob(m): 6:19am On Oct 22, 2014
Granting autonomy to the local Government is long over due, most state governor has killde the L.G's.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by amjou: 6:20am On Oct 22, 2014
OAUTemitayo:
Now i know our legislators are mofos, do this people know that the third level of government under federal system of government suppose to be under the state government.
dundee senators
Bro, I think I subscribe to the autonomy, so that the powers on the governors will reduce,good minded LG chairmen will develop their LG and the election will look like one,not an appointment

1 Like

Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by Nobody: 6:25am On Oct 22, 2014
My local govt. Chairman is the worst. He doesn't even kill a fly, let alone to turn a stone. Well let's see how things unfold in the coming days.
Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by JANK23H(m): 6:46am On Oct 22, 2014
OAUTemitayo:
dundee senators
We don't have to copy everything,the nigerian state is unique and so we must adopt a system that would suit us.

The LGs have been useless under the state government. These amendments are laudable.

4 Likes

Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by bucke1: 6:55am On Oct 22, 2014
I subscribe to these amendments especially local government autonomy & abolition of state electoral commission.
Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by seanet02: 7:15am On Oct 22, 2014
Corruption at the local level is worse than you think. Under Federal system of government, the local government must be under the state government. Oh i forget, Nigeria practises a quasi-federal system. Lol
amjou:

Bro, I think I subscribe to the autonomy, so that the powers on the governors will reduce,good minded LG chairmen will develop their LG and the election will look like one,not an appointment
Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by seanet02: 7:15am On Oct 22, 2014
JANK23H:
We don't have to copy everything,the nigerian state is unique and so we must adopt a system that would suit us.

The LGs have been useless under the state government. These amendments are laudable.
seanet02:
Corruption at the local level is worse than you think. Under Federal system of government, the local government must be under the state government. Oh i forget, Nigeria practises a quasi-federal system. Lol
JANK23H:

1 Like

Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by blym4real: 7:37am On Oct 22, 2014
A welcome development
Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by Nobody: 7:50am On Oct 22, 2014
Wow! I thought this was not going to happen in my life time.

1 Like

Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by highchiefpee(m): 8:06am On Oct 22, 2014
That's correct especially in my state osun the governor killed the lgs completely he rendered dem uselesss!!I just hope those state houses of assembly won't mess this up by collecting bribe from state governors that don't want the amendment to become operational
lekejob:
Granting autonomy to the local Government is long over due, most state governor has killde the L.G's.
Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by Fire15: 8:10am On Oct 22, 2014
highchiefpee:
That's correct especially in my state osun the governor killed the lgs completely he rendered dem uselesss!!I just hope those state houses of assembly won't mess this up by collecting bribe from state governors that don't want the amendment to become operational
This so called autonomy for LGAs is dead on arrival at the States HOA. Am 100% sure.
Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by 49cents(m): 9:15am On Oct 22, 2014
OAUTemitayo:
dundee senators

Honestly I don't know what the invectives you are pouring on the senate is based on

Must they copy and paste everything from America? Do we as a people not have the liberty to ammending our governance system to suit our peculiar polity....

Are you not awate that the state government have rendered the LGs as their appendage?

Are u not aware that the reason behind undone drainage and inner street roads is because the LGs have been raped by their respective state governments?

You comment smirks of a budding political analyst...if you don't have anything to contribute just book your space with a dot and idle people may notice your moniker.....lobbish

Thumbs up to the National assembly....waiting for the two thirds of the state legislatives house to pass same without delay

1 Like

Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by 49cents(m): 9:25am On Oct 22, 2014
Fire15:

This so called autonomy for LGAs is dead on arrival at the States HOA. Am 100% sure.

Lol@ dead on arrival at state HOA....

But that's where we come in....we can start a campaign over social media so that the state HOA will know that they are being watched or something that can counter the pressure they have from their governors who are unlikely to be happy with the independenc of the LGs
Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by beejaay: 9:25am On Oct 22, 2014
Fire15:

i hope not for the sake of our future
Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by Nobody: 9:38am On Oct 22, 2014
OAUTemitayo:
dundee senators
No brain. Zombie.

1 Like

Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by highchiefpee(m): 9:48am On Oct 22, 2014
I support this idea
49cents:

Lol@ dead on arrival at state HOA....

But that's where we come in....we can start a campaign over social media so that the state HOA will know that they are being watched or something that can counter the pressure they have from their governors who are unlikely to be happy with the independenc of the LGs
Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by KnowAll(m): 12:28pm On Oct 22, 2014
State Houses would not support this move. It would mean even LG Chairmen would have more clout than state legislature. Dead on arrival I would say.
Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by highchiefpee(m): 12:35pm On Oct 22, 2014
Can u please explain yurself better?what are you tryna stress
KnowAll:
State Houses would not support this move. It would mean even LG Chairmen would have more clout than state legislature. Dead on arrival I would say.
Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by KwoiZabo(m): 1:36pm On Oct 22, 2014
OAUTemitayo:
dundee senators
This must be tinubu's son speaking. thiefs

1 Like

Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by OAUTemitayo: 10:01pm On Oct 23, 2014
freshdude2:
No brain. Zombie.
mofo
Re: National Assembly Okays Autonomy For Local Governments by philantoxx(m): 10:06pm On Oct 23, 2014
Greek moves

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Betrays Palestine! / Saraki Refuses To Be Docked - Vanguard / Breaking News: Tribunal Sacks Kashamu, Six Others In Ogun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.