Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,317 members, 7,839,514 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned (6757 Views)

Poll: Okonjo Iweala's resignation. Good or Bad?

She resigned to save her name: 38% (52 votes)
She was a victim of high politicking: 28% (39 votes)
She was just frustrated out: 29% (40 votes)
It's the anti Atiku phenomenon.: 3% (5 votes)
This poll has ended

Okonjo Iweala Has Been Asked To Step Down / Okonjo-iweala Has Sleepless Nights Over Unemployment In Nigeria / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has 90 Million Naira Monthly Security Vote? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Shinor(m): 10:50pm On Aug 03, 2006
Nuff Respect Iyke-D and Odeku. Lets  apprtoach issues pragmatically. Nigeria is Bigger than OBJ , Okonjo-Iwealla and anybody else for that matter. I don't see why we should all lose sleep over one person resigning from govt.
By the way will Okonjo-Iwealla step up and explain allegations concerning receiving kickbacks for organizing our debt relief through her friends the so called"consultants"?
That she wiould condescend to that level after all these years at the world bank,
A beg people lef matter.
May Jah send another Moses
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by buchio7(m): 10:55pm On Aug 03, 2006
shocked shocked ol'boy all that is rumours all rumours, oh
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by walel: 11:08pm On Aug 03, 2006
Its a simple matter lets go back to history remeber there was a rumour that she resigned shortly after she was moved to foreign affairs but dem deny am now! now the truth is out the woman worked for so long in the world bank and she did really well in fiance ministry thats her speciality so y move her to foreign affairs its sad but this is how Nigeria treats her best hands use and dump them am sure the woman resigned purely on principle and i hail her for that ! " Kudos to Okonjo shame on Baba Iyabo once again "
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Mariory(m): 11:15pm On Aug 03, 2006
Wow she hasn't even spoken on why she resigned. You guys have already decided for her and are ready to crucify your suspects.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Eurphoria(f): 11:35pm On Aug 03, 2006
Mariory smiley
What are you naive? you reckon she'll come and tell us the full story? its politics, many things are kept from the public, besides that's the beauty of discuss and forums init?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Eurphoria(f): 11:36pm On Aug 03, 2006
Odeku
i was not totally fair with you earlier on the fela thing, i still disagree to an extent, anyway don't take it the wrong way. smiley
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by mrmayor(m): 11:44pm On Aug 03, 2006
Finally a Nigerian with self respect has done the right thing,Resign
I have a lot of respect for Mrs Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala,its sad that she was moved from Finance Ministry to Foreign Affairs.I wish more people like her would have the opportunity to serve.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by buchio7(m): 11:48pm On Aug 03, 2006
either way nigeria has lost her services and she has gained a lot
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by buchio7(m): 11:51pm On Aug 03, 2006
either way nigeria has lost her services and she has gained a lot
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by babe1(f): 12:11am On Aug 04, 2006
I love politics but clueless about Nigerian politics. Maybe when i go next month i will learn a lot.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Eurphoria(f): 12:29am On Aug 04, 2006
babe1:

I love politics but clueless about Nigerian politics. Maybe when i go next month i will learn a lot.

Hi you don't have to go to know more, your interest is enough, there are many online resources and there is TV( lol don't rely on this for all your info) wink
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by babe1(f): 12:38am On Aug 04, 2006
Thanks!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by stanech: 12:53am On Aug 04, 2006
Well make we wait small we go soon know wetin really make her resign I know say na the position wey them shift am put na im cos am But make we wait and see which plan Obj get for her cos she be material for this country
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Nutter(m): 1:47am On Aug 04, 2006
The story of Nigeria is the story of a nation which disrespects its best brains and then casts them away like a sucked orange. Here is a woman who left the World Bank, took a pay cut, and slaved for her country and its people by going cap-in-hand from country to country like a beggar. Why is any surprised at the way she has been treated? You stick your neck out for that country and you get messed about. That’s just the way it goes. No incorruptible person can survive the politicking in Nigeria. None. Those that still have hope in Nigeria should tell us wherefrom their hope arises. Strike now or forever remain stricken!
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Idekeson(m): 2:01am On Aug 04, 2006
I saw the handwriting on the wall especially after she went to the press with the missing money at the Foreign Ministry, and Presidency quickly refuted the claim.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Love44(f): 2:44am On Aug 04, 2006
All these things that is happening in Nigeria is because of the Northern Nigerian. Have you guys forget that this so called north rule Nigeria for more than 35 years and destroyed everything in the country without no investments. The British gave the power to the north so that the people in Nigeria would live in abject poverty without no constant electricity, water or even boast of good rods. For as long the southern part of Nigeria would continue to be with the north, we will continue to be useless and backward. All these things that is going on especially the southern part of Nigeria is because of the North. First of all i do not have anything in common with the North and i still wonder why the British joined me with this idiots and Baffoons.They North do not want anything to be good in the country because they are illitrate. If they are elected the president of Nigeria in 2007 there will be alot of problem in the country. Abacha that was from the North stole more that 2.4 billion of dollars from the Niger Delta. I hope the Niger Deltan would deal those idiots.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Mariory(m): 5:00am On Aug 04, 2006
Eurphoria:

Mariory smiley
What are you naive? you reckon she'll come and tell us the full story? its politics, many things are kept from the public, besides that's the beauty of discuss and forums init?

I'm not naive. I have my suspicions but, I am also leaving my options open and not jumping the gun. Why wouldn't she tell us the full story? What would stop her?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by ono(m): 8:29am On Aug 04, 2006
Una wey want say make we remain one, make una begin think twice now o. This country is doomed. They just killed Williams, now they've humiliated Iweala, where are we going?!

All the good folks are getting eliminated one after the other. I believe they want to bring the likes of Adedibu with his amala politics to administer the Finance ministry. How eles can one explain the irrational behaviour of baba iyabo?
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by OBJ3(m): 8:42am On Aug 04, 2006
na your papa wey get irrational behaviour angry . after all i was the one who employed her, i discovered her. who knew her before? did you know her? i found her and gave her the duty to serve the nation which she did. if she got tired along the way and wanted to go, who am i to stop her. i did not fire her.did i?

idiots angry i sent her to foreign ministry to clean up the place as she did for the finance ministry. is it not a wise thing to do? angry

usman has been her deputy at the finance ministry and must have learnt from her, so i put up usman to take over from her while she goes to clean up foreign ministry. is it not common sense? now she resigns and u expect me, me, OBJ, commander-in-chief to beg her.never angry . not in our culture. if she is too proud to serve the nation. no problem. angry

nigeria will improve with or without okonji iweala. and for those who say nigeria is doomed, it is your fathers and mothers who are doomed

angry nonsense angry
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by ono(m): 8:55am On Aug 04, 2006
buhahahahaha!!! - let me borrow my people laugh pattern. You're truly O-B-J, why wouldn't you put your sex as female. That's typical of OBJ. He's always making blunders - just the way you've done.

You think say that place (Aso Rock) them build am for you? If yo no take care them go carry your dead-bodi go Otta go feed for pigs. You dey carry on as if say the world dey your feet. Na God go punish your ancestors for referring to my papa and mama for this thread! Useless sonofabitch. Potbellied, rotund, old and wrinkled, Godforasken, nonentity, callous, bloodsucking demon that you're!!

Erm, my dear people of NL, make una no vex. I have never used that kind of language on anyone. But this she-OBJ deserves it.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Seye(m): 9:00am On Aug 04, 2006
Love44:

All these things that is happening in Nigeria is because of the Northern Nigerian. Have you guys forget that this so called north rule Nigeria for more than 35 years and destroyed everything in the country without no investments. The British gave the power to the north so that the people in Nigeria would live in abject poverty without no constant electricity, water or even boast of good rods. For as long the southern part of Nigeria would continue to be with the north, we will continue to be useless and backward. All these things that is going on especially the southern part of Nigeria is because of the North. First of all i do not have anything in common with the North and i still wonder why the British joined me with this idiots and Baffoons.They North do not want anything to be good in the country because they are illitrate. If they are elected the president of Nigeria in 2007 there will be alot of problem in the country. Abacha that was from the North stole more that 2.4 billion of dollars from the Niger Delta. I hope the Niger Deltan would deal those idiots.

What has north got to do with this now?. Lets forget about North or South, East or West. Nigeria is far more bigger than any region. What I'm mostly concerned about is the future of this country, especially as it relates to the machinery OBJ has in place. Things like EFCC etc. Have you not discover that these organisations are being used against political opponents. Check this out. Mike Adenuga was arrested based on his connection with Atiku. When cases and petition like that which condemn OBJ's university and the Soleye that is fronting for him is not aired at all by EFCC. Have you forgotten so soon the Presidential Library. How possible is having a presidential library launch when you are still in power. That's why every big names in Nigeria were there falling over each other just to donate millions simply because Baba must be pleased and they must be seen. Most head of state have presidential library when they left power. I'm sure that one day this same ICPC, EFCC will eventually do OBJ in, long after he's no more in power.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by woleprof(m): 9:05am On Aug 04, 2006
i think she did the right thing.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by SOJ(m): 9:07am On Aug 04, 2006
Its a pathetic story.it just underscores the reason why OBJ and OBJ thinkers must be pushed forcibly out of government.This brilliant economist met a lot of mess on ground and despite her efforts to offer solutions,she kept being impeded by the originators of the mess themselves,who by the way are still holding on to power.
Towing this line can only send the wrong message to well-intentioned Nigerians both here and in the diaspora who want to make a change in the polity: that our culture of corruption cannot be altered.
sad, i say.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by MurieKante: 9:53am On Aug 04, 2006
I think we need a messiah like Rawlins of Ghana to wipe out all these self centered leaders who are only interested in making their families and people around them. My God must surely arise because of the saints in this country and every enemy will surely be swallowed up. A good woman like Ngozi Iweala has come to contribute her quota but they wouldnt allow her to finish her dream. Dont worry Madam God is on your side to see you tru in life.
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by woleprof(m): 10:12am On Aug 04, 2006
Indications emerged on Thursday that Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala resigned her appointment as the Minister of Foreign Affairs in protest over her removal as the head of the Economic Management Team.

This is contrary to her official reason that she resigned to enable her to take care of urgent family issues.

Her resignation dated August 3, was accepted on the same day by President Olusegun Obasanjo.

Obasanjo had on June 21, 2006 removed her as the Minister of Finance.

The President, while announcing her redeployment, asked her to retain her position as the chairman of the Economic Team to allow time for institutional stability.

As leader of the team, she was to continue supervising the country‘s international financial transactions.

But Obasanjo in a letter on Tuesday directed the Minister of Finance, Mrs. Nenadi Usman, to take over from Okonjo-Iweala as leader of the Economic Team.

The same letter also announced the appointment of the Economic Adviser to the President, Dr. Osita Ogbu, as the deputy leader of the team and confirmed the president as the chairman of the team.

Our correspondents also learnt that the former minister faxed her resignation letter from the United Kingdom, where she was on an official assignment.

Sources in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs explained that Okonjo-Iweala could not bear the confirmation of Usman as head of the economic team.

She had travelled to London to negotiate the country‘s exit from the London Club of creditors when she was removed as leader of the Economic Team.

It was learnt that the government had changed its position following a protest by Usman that she should have led the Nigerian economic delegation on the London trip.

Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by nunu(f): 10:18am On Aug 04, 2006
it is a pity that baba Iyabo is a washout.he is dubious and cunning,i can't fathom how an old man who suffered under Abacha's regime will turn around and become a crook.Kudos to Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala,she is a woman of substance.Nigerians can now understand that her resignation signifies that something very dubious is going on in the corridors of power.Obasanjo is a disgrace.Nigerians need to pray cos we don't know where this country is heading to,and as we all know 2007 is just around the corner so we must continue to expect the unexpected
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Jamzdo: 10:25am On Aug 04, 2006
don't worry everything will be fine soon, just pray 4 everyone and our country niger, my dear smiley smiley
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by datsule: 10:43am On Aug 04, 2006
I felt somehow bad at first but i think that is the wisest thing to do at this critical moment , let her resign when ovation is loudest
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by Jachoz(m): 11:08am On Aug 04, 2006
Iwealla for presidency lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by michy(f): 11:13am On Aug 04, 2006
i think some people are giving that woman bad advise
who knows maybe she wants to contest undecided
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by kgentle: 11:24am On Aug 04, 2006
i think what she did was something nice .There is a saying that says it is better to leave a game when the game is at peak . She left the administration to save her head from the shame of looting the the public fund . Atleast what she did for the country to help us relief part of debt cannot be forgotten in the history of Nigeria .Kudos to brave Woman .
But one things i am sure is that PDP has no future  after 2007 . OBJ that has been their source of their victory is also the accursing finger destroying PDP .I have never seen an individual that is bigger than the party that give to the mandate to win an election .Is the way Audu Ogbehi the formal PDP chairman was forced out of his offfice after using him to win 2003 election fair enough . All this is an evident that OBJ will use you and dump you after he had achieved his aim . One again Kudos to  brave woman .
Re: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Has Resigned by woleprof(m): 12:14pm On Aug 04, 2006
I think we should be cautious of our words. Would anyone have done it better, Who could have taken those dangerous bulls by the horn. ummm, Baba is a pace-maker cunning though, he is hard working, wicked though, he has given us a tomorrow. i think he has tried his best for us.

Dont get me wrong im not his campaigner or suppoter but as we shed tears we can also see amidst the flow.

i think all wats is happening is political. Remember "in politics no permanent friends or foe" grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See Drone Found Flying In Onitsha Nigeria. Awesome Views. / Entire Yoruba Land Turns Out To Welcome Jonathan again, This Time In Oshogbo / The Correct Ayedaade Result Before It Was Destroyed By Inec Official - channels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.