Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,238 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:27 AM

The Story Behind Igbo Names. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Story Behind Igbo Names. (1226 Views)

Some Funky Igbo Names And Their Meaning / A Database Of Traditional Igbo Names / Igbo Names & Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Story Behind Igbo Names. by Lorax(f): 7:58pm On Oct 23, 2014
There's always a story behind igbo names. If you don't know yours ask your parents.
The names are influenced by the situation before and during the childbirth. let me share some with you.
My mother had time giving birth to a child. It took years before she was able to conceive. Well, she gave birth to a baby girl and named her CHINENYENWA-God is the giver of child.
My mum got pregnant again after 7 years and gave birth to a boy. She named him CHIDIEBUBE - God is powerful.

When my cousin was pregnant for her third child, she lost the baby at birth. After some time she was pregnant again, she gave birth to a baby girl and named her AKPEREAMAKA-Prayer is good. After some months she(the baby) died. She got pregnant again and this time the child(girl) survived. Guess what she named her, CHIMAMANDA - My God will never fail me.

Another cousin of mine was pregnant and was going to be delivered of twins, well, she lost one of the twins and was left with just one, she named him CHIDUMEBI-God is leading me to live.
Share yours.
Re: The Story Behind Igbo Names. by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:08pm On Oct 24, 2014
Sorry,you came late.
Re: The Story Behind Igbo Names. by Nobody: 12:44pm On Oct 24, 2014
OdenigboAroli:
Sorry,you came late.
Odenigbo means 'you came late'?
Re: The Story Behind Igbo Names. by OdenigboAroli(m): 9:02pm On Oct 24, 2014
Odenigbo means 'you came late'?
No.
Re: The Story Behind Igbo Names. by BAILMONEY: 2:56am On Jun 17, 2017
EBUBE MEANS GLORY
Re: The Story Behind Igbo Names. by Nobody: 12:48am On Jun 30, 2017
I really love how lots of Igbo names give reverence to God in some way.....

(1) (Reply)

Royal Slaves Mamluks Of Kano.. Slaves Castrated To Secure Loyalty / British Museum Will Return Bronze Artifacts Looted From Benin Kingdom / Who Are The Fulani People & Their Origins?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.