Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,660 members, 7,820,324 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market (13285 Views)

Greedy Nigerians Cashing In On The Rising Dollar Exchange Rate / First Bank’s Rising Loan Losses Is About To Spell Doom For Its Balance Sheet / Cbn Spends N150bn Annually To Maintain Naira Notes – Moghalu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 24, 2014
stalyf:

Please address us properly next time.
We Board of Directors, Nairaland and not just members

Apologies, m'lud!
Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by skyface00(m): 10:32am On Oct 24, 2014
Lolz they should do house to house check....just opposite my house , they havnt paid kobo 4 light 4 2years now and i pity whoever going 2 take d house when d fool move out....lolz
Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by ElFenomeno1: 10:35am On Oct 24, 2014
It will be interesting to see how they arrived at the figures for the meter market value.... #150bnNaira.

And i think we should know the overall cost benefits deliverable as well.
Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by Amacaco: 10:35am On Oct 24, 2014
The various Discos should just provide the Prepaid meters and the light and stop all these unnecessary complaints and excuses. It is unfair and wicked to bill outrageously for power not used just because you want to keep these companies in business. Majority of Nigerians always pay for their power bills if properly done. We should not use the criminally minded ones to judge the rest of good and wonderful Nigerians.

3 Likes

Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by Frankenstein: 11:05am On Oct 24, 2014
In a country where its citizens pay for new transformers to be fixed for them. The cost of repairing these same transformers is also billed on its users.
Where the erecti0n of neighbourhood Power supply poles is done by the residents.
Where these citizens spend a sizeable percentage of their salary on petrol for their generators.
Where the pains of estimated billing by NEPA can still be felt (Many are still being billed this way) by the prepaid meter users.

Yet, they expect everyone to just grin and pay for having power for less than 200 hours per month?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by IGBOSON1: 11:26am On Oct 24, 2014
ayusco85:
welcome to naija grin grin. i know a guy whose meter doesnt move from the previous meter reading even after 6 months of constant consumption. that meter is not fool proof

^^^And the thief will be the first to bang his fist on the table in self-righteous indignation, shouting that this gov't is not providing the necessary dividends of democracy, and insisting that there must be change come 2015!

We are our worst problem in this country!

1 Like

Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by ayusco85(m): 11:28am On Oct 24, 2014
IGBOSON1:

^^^And the thief will be the first to bang his fist on the table in self-righteous indignation, shouting that this gov't is not providing the necessary dividends of democracy, and insisting that there must be change come 2015!

We are our worst problem in this country!

welcome to nigeria cheesy
Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by tayoxx(m): 11:42am On Oct 24, 2014
the tin tire me....this month alone in my area we've contributed close to 6k per house....d last time was armoured cable burn for transformer. ..each house contribute 2k...before then was unit burn later them say upriser cable burn. ..and my nepa Bill 's 6500 2- 3 weeks I no go see light and I dey pay 6500 every month

3 Likes

Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by Nobody: 11:59am On Oct 24, 2014
I recharge last 8months ago but my prepaid meter never Bleep me up.... I must get light..I vow no to report to them until they discover themselves...
Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by Nobody: 12:10pm On Oct 24, 2014
This is a small problem to solve. Government should ban others from selling meters and only government meters should be eligible for use and have identifications to trace them.
Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by Swash042(m): 12:27pm On Oct 24, 2014
abeg make una teach me hw to bypass d f**kin meter grin
Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by ikakahu(m): 12:34pm On Oct 24, 2014
DISC0 actually dancing disco.They've refused to install meters just because they want to make more money.I stay alone,leave home 6am and return 8pm daily,go to church on sunday and return by 1pm from 10am.infact I don't spend more than 8hrs in my appartment in 7 days apart frm night rest time(sleep).in this 7days,light is not steady yet at d end of d month,they bring outrageous estimated bill of 9-10k.Who is deceiving who?THIEVES!

2 Likes

Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by Akainzo(m): 12:56pm On Oct 24, 2014
Nigerians love lies, so long as it sounds nice to them. This DISCOs are simply playing to the gallery.

Nothing is threatened other than their continued desire to bill consumers on an estimated basis. Once you manufacture/procure/import this meters and install them in our houses, people will definitely stop stealing them.

Make the meters available. That's all.

2 Likes

Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by conyema12(m): 1:18pm On Oct 24, 2014
What goes around comes around. ..when they are busy stealing 750 naira every month from Nigerians
They should scrap off that charge.

2 Likes

Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by oliy24(m): 1:55pm On Oct 24, 2014
mcdokwe:
...and we blame government for lack of electricity.

Motivation here is the key and in this case, a two way thing. You give me enough electricity to make me willingly pay you on one hand and you pay me to give you enough electricity on the other hand. The question now is, who goes first?

broda, this is not the matter of who goes first. Nigerians has been paying for electricity since the establishment of nepa and all will get in return is darkness, Nigeria are not daft and we can take it no more, no light no money, We use to pay nepa bill regularly before now. but now my bill is 85,000 naira and trust me, thats just the beginning. we are still going to 2,000,000. when the cut my light we buy anoda wire and connect, it just 3500 for wire
Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by mcdokwe(m): 2:01pm On Oct 24, 2014
oliy24:

broda, this is not the matter of who goes first. Nigerians has been paying for electricity since the establishment of nepa and all will get in return is darkness, Nigeria are not daft and we can take it no more, no light no money, We use to pay nepa bill regularly before now. but now my bill is 85,000 naira and trust me, thats just the beginning. we are still going to 2,000,000. when the cut my light we buy anoda wire and connect, it just 3500 for wire
lol, well then, if you want to continue like that, that means you don't have the right to complain of epileptic power supply anymore.
Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by Reference(m): 2:27pm On Oct 24, 2014
A nation of thieves.
Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by lonelydora: 2:45pm On Oct 24, 2014
Mine is the consumption doesn't reflect on the bill. Every month they read the meter but it does not reflect on the bill.

Waiting for them dis month.
Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by hisableplc(m): 2:46pm On Oct 24, 2014
Is it possible to steal what u dont see....wat of those you collected money from and u never gave meter to and u bring estimated bill that are outrageous....one day bush meat go catch d hunter

1 Like

Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by Nobody: 4:28pm On Oct 24, 2014
I contributed N20,000 this year to replace our transformer- they bought bill the next month. We maintain it from our own pockets, yet we're being billed N650 maintenance fee every month!
Those who have prepaid meters actually bought it!
All the electrical instalations in my neighbourhood is our property because we shouldered the costs. All the discos do is reap where they did not sow. Can they justify the charging of maintenance fee?
Why should your consumers be paying for what they are not enjoying and you don't want them to enjoy what they do not pay for? See double standard! grin
You accumulated close to 30k bill for me while I'm away and you expect me to pay for a service I never enjoyed? Am I picking money on the street? grin
Until that bill is cleared and prepaid meter issued, I'll not pay a dime. We'll deal with the issue of Maintenance fee afterward.

2 Likes

Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by chuksmad(m): 4:42pm On Oct 24, 2014
DISCOS that are complaining people by passing their meter and do nothing about it. That still go back to our basic problem, corruption. Corruption is the root of Nigeria problem, if we get ride corruption, all other things shall fall in place. What stop them from arresting and prosecuting any person found wanting in bypassing paying their bill?

1 Like

Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:57pm On Oct 24, 2014
etunoman76:

To this end, Sir Collins Onyeama, the Managing Director, Techno Gas and Power, manufacturers of prepaid meters in Nigeria, told our correspondent that electricity theft remained a major challenge for meter manufacturers in the country, the power distribution companies and the power sector as a whole.

According to him, the menace results in a huge loss for operators in the sector, as operators end up not getting value for services rendered.

He stressed that people benefitting from such practices can never appreciate the importance of prepaid meters.

http://www.punchng.com/business/business-economy/rising-electricity-theft-cases-threaten-n150bn-meter-market/

but how does meter tampering affect the person [size=14pt]SELLING THE METER?
[/size]

IS IT NOT THE PERSON SELLING POWER THAT SHOULD BE COMPLAINING?

If you want to create excuses for not installing meters for consumers at least let the proper person do his own dirty job.

moreover, this tampering thing is applicable to the old meters. the prepaid ones cannot be adjusted without a high level of skill which would mean its the same DISCO officials that are doing it

besides HE WHO COMES TO EQUITY MUST COME WITH CLEAN HANDS.

DISCO that robs their customers should not be heard to be complaining that the customers are cheating them...

3 Likes

Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by Candybob(m): 5:12pm On Oct 24, 2014
Story for my Dogs sad
Fix the damn light and stop looking for useless excuses.
NEPA disappointing Nigerians since 1800!

1 Like

Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by BabaEto1: 6:26pm On Oct 24, 2014
chuksmad:
DISCOS that are complaining people by passing their meter and do nothing about it. That still go back to our basic problem, corruption. Corruption is the root of Nigeria problem, if we get ride corruption, all other things shall fall in place. What stop them from arresting and prosecuting any person found wanting in bypassing paying their bill?

God bless you, let me share an experience with you and others here. A man bypassed nepa meter in a state and nepa officials reported him to Nig Security and Civil Defence Corps, he was arrested and charged to court and even remanded in prison custody b4 trial. Wen the man saw the seriousness of the case and prosecutor he coughed out money owed b4 he was released. So if nepa can start prosecution through the relevant agencies like Civil defence most people will behave themselves. ( This is a true story)
Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by 19naia(m): 11:25pm On Oct 24, 2014
Spend the money for meter, to buy soalr panels and batteries and inverters... That will be free electric in the long run and more consistent than the non existent power supply... How can they accuse people of stealing electricity that they are not even supplying? Or have the common people in Nigeria been lying all this time when crying out about the lack of electricity supply in Nigeria...
Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by geniusbami(m): 12:01am On Oct 25, 2014
grin
Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by geniusbami(m): 12:01am On Oct 25, 2014
These DISCOs are thé real thieves with their crazy bills that do not commensurate with the amount o power supplied. On top of the estimated crazy bills they still compel me to give them around ₦35,000 to get a prepaid metre. Now, why won't a sane Nigerian look for a way to reduce his loss? And as if they never milk us reach, they don conspire with the National Electricity Regulatory Agency now to jack up the tariff. Make dem cry reach the skies, dem never start.
Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by geniusbami(m): 12:15am On Oct 25, 2014
Akainzo:
Nigerians love lies, so long as it sounds nice to them. This DISCOs are simply playing to the gallery.

Nothing is threatened other than their continued desire to bill consumers on an estimated basis. Once you manufacture/procure/import this meters and install them in our houses, people will definitely stop stealing them.

Make the meters available. That's all.

And at no cost to me grin The metre generates value to them, not to me cool
Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by guyX(m): 1:29am On Oct 25, 2014
Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by Evanscoth(f): 8:21am On Oct 25, 2014
PHCN ripping us off since 18th century. We ve not had a blink for close to a month now will be requrired to pay for fixed meter rate for our prepaid meter. For close to a year now, our power supply went so erratic. Infact as am time we don't even have our transformer. They took it away with one excuse like dat #Nohopefor now cos we dnt knw for howw long

Somebody please tell to even byepass the damn prepaid yuck that I ve gulping my money. Whereas I generate my own power 50 litres per week
Bleep BEDC Asaba
Re: Rising Electricity Theft Cases Threaten N150bn Meter Market by lumeneng22: 3:15pm On Oct 25, 2014
When square pegs are put in a round holes, many things go wrong. Many marketers who visit the customers premises for meter reading and bills distribution are graduate of marketing, economics, business admin, accounts, purchasing and supply and some even school cert or G c e. How can such persons detect electricity theft. Those of us with technical/engineering background are thrown out or not considered. Power discos are not commodity manufacturing company now. We have the experience to do this work better as investigation officers, installation inspector, marketer, ppm installation nd monitoring. Also installation contractors do not pay installers good pay. We re aware that disco companies pay as much as N1500 to install a meter but the contractors pay N300 to installers who does the job.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

You Cant Open A Corporate Account With Banks Without Registration With Efcc / How My Business Is Dying / Where Can I Get Affordable Wrist Watch At Whole Sale Price In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.