Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,978 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? (1717 Views)

17 Pictures That Will Only Make Sense To People Who Grew Up In Nigeria / My Dad Is Having An Affair:Do I Talk To Him Politely? / My Mother, My Wife: Who Comes First? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by Cayon(f): 6:08am On Nov 16, 2008
I try my best to be discreet but this is bothering me.

My mom don't want me to date black guys.  It doesn't make any sense because my mother who is  white once married a black guy.  Now she is telling me that she wants me to meet some dude (a white man who is 42 angry) in London(when we go on vacation).

The thing is I am NOT attracted to white guys.  Definitely not attracted to Ytee.

How can I talk some sense into my mother?
cry cry cry
(constructive criticism )

Peace
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by eminemkayc: 7:02am On Nov 16, 2008
D only way is by sitting hr dwn and talkng 2 hr abut ur emotional bias towards blck dudes! Dnt renegade 2 speak sense in2 hr by being constructve, If sh's d listening typ, she'l sure accept,
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by tmoney11(m): 7:41am On Nov 16, 2008
It will be some how Difficult to confuse your mother. try and look for a perfect avenue to talk to her. it doesn't matter maybe in the house or not, or call your mum best friend into this. first you must package yourself well. which you good luck
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by sexyLeamon(f): 8:05am On Nov 16, 2008
sit one on one with her, and explain everything. if she really love you, and want you happy she will understand
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by aloraboi: 8:25am On Nov 16, 2008
Cayon, stop criticizing your mom.

The fact that she wants you to meet with a Ytee doesn't mean she doesn't want you to date black guys. She was just trying to do some good ol' hook up. . . so don't take it too personal.

B T W whatever happened to freedom? I'm quite sure she ain't making it a do-or-die affair for you so don't fuss! tongue
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by spikedcylinder: 9:11am On Nov 16, 2008
If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't say or do anything. I would date whomever I want to- Black or White and then watch her attempt to bite me. tongue
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by lucabrasi(m): 1:36pm On Nov 16, 2008
@poster
i dont really think talking to your mother will fundamentally change her deep seated stereotypes about black people,while this might have come about because of her non association with them generally ,i think introducing her to a few black friends and encouraging her to ask questions she doesnt understand or bothering her might open her mind to the diverse,rich and interesting cultures/ways of africa, however make sure the black friends you ll do that with are these you r comfortable with and have an idea of what s going on because a white woman asking me if we still sleep on trees when i v not been warned will sound offensive, on the flip side maybe she s had a bad/traumatic experience with the black man that she was married to so the only way then is to go out n introduce her to whoever you end up with and she ll prolly come round if he turns out not to be like the black person she s known,all in all i dont think talking or trying to convince her will work at this time
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by igwe11(m): 1:58pm On Nov 16, 2008
lucabrasi:

@poster
i don't really think talking to your mother will fundamentally change her deep seated stereotypes about black people,while this might have come about because of her non association with them generally ,i think introducing her to a few black friends and encouraging her to ask questions she doesnt understand or bothering her might open her mind to the diverse,rich and interesting cultures/ways of africa, however make sure the black friends you ll do that with are these you r comfortable with and have an idea of what s going on because a white woman asking me if we still sleep on trees when i v not been warned will sound offensive, on the flip side maybe she s had a bad/traumatic experience with the black man that she was married to so the only way then is to go out n introduce her to whoever you end up with and she ll prolly come round if he turns out not to be like the black person she s known,all in all i don't think talking or trying to convince her will work at this time
follow this advice, i guess she had a bad experience with black  b/4.The only way to convince her is to expose her to some nice black people and be sure the black guy you re in love with would be clever and nice enough to dance to your mom's tune in other to convince her.
In the process try prove to her that your future is involve not hers.
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by doyin13(m): 2:28pm On Nov 16, 2008
Tell her ''Once you go black. . . .you can't go back''  grin grin grin

eminemkayc:

D only way is by sitting hr dwn and talkng 2 hr abut ur emotional bias towards blck dudes! Dnt renegade 2 speak sense in2 hr by being constructve, If sh's d listening typ, she'l sure accept,

come pray tell. . . . why 2hrs? why not 3, 4 or 5 hrs or my favourite just one bloody minute
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by Sauron1: 4:58pm On Nov 16, 2008
Cayon:

I try my best to be discreet but this is bothering me.

My mom don't want me to date black guys. It doesn't make any sense because my mother who is white once married a black guy. Now she is telling me that she wants me to meet some dude (a white man who is 42 angry) in London(when we go on vacation).

The thing is I am NOT attracted to white guys. Definitely not attracted to Ytee.

How can I talk some sense into my mother?
cry cry cry
(constructive criticism )

Peace

Tell your mum about BLACK POWER!!!!
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by plappville(f): 5:45pm On Nov 16, 2008
i thk she is just scared for u not to fall in a bad hand of a Dudu,
but then bad ytee sara full grand too.

Dont 4get She is ur mum, i think she want the best for u, as u said u don't want a ytee.

stop worrying urself over this, feel like nothing is happening.

Pray u fall in love with one nice dudu and see if ur mum will go against it.
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by Raymond88(m): 6:54pm On Nov 16, 2008
I think we should all stick to our own races, personally I'm sick and tired of these interracial marriages, and all these hybrid babies who can't tell if they're black or white!
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by igwe11(m): 6:59pm On Nov 16, 2008
Raymond88:

I think we should all stick to our own races, personally I'm sick and tired of these interracial marriages, and all these hybrid babies who can't tell if they're black or white!
lol grin grin
Is a thing of the heart . No body is the owner of his/her own destiny.
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by MrCrackles(m): 7:03pm On Nov 16, 2008
Raymond88:

No i dont agree with you!

Hybrid babies are awesome

I dont give a flying Bleep whatever my family says, i would marry whoever i fall in love with, blue, black, white or purple!
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by just1n(m): 8:56pm On Nov 16, 2008
wat abt dem abinos tongue
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by DisGuy: 9:58pm On Nov 16, 2008
how old are you?

Tell her the kind of men you like

or just show her some hip hop videos grin
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by meexteriox(m): 12:16pm On Nov 17, 2008
Really you need to answer this question: How old are you?
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by plappville(f): 5:51pm On Nov 18, 2008
just1n:

what about them abinos tongue

Abino no be person?? the thing is that parents should learn to understand they childs feelings, in as long as he/she is did not choice a wayward and drunkerd parner, why not let them be.
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by maritalsol: 10:10am On Nov 21, 2008
Hi Cayon,
I see that u know what u want and u're not ready to be coaxed by anybody into what u don't believe in even by ur mum.Having said that, i'll like u to treat this case with caution cos our parents either we accept it or not are guardian angels from God, it is only when u're very sure that the experience she had in d past does not apply to u then u can always follow ur instinct.Experience they say is the best teacher but i'll rather say it is better to learn from the experienced,u don't necessarily have to get burnt by fire b4 u know that fire burns.I am a black person as well and i cherish ur decision as blacks are special people with xter hence they can be trusted with things of the heart.In this case however u've to adopt good and skillful communication between u and ur mum and ensure that after u've gotten her own view about ur decision try and make her see reasons with u,also commit it to God in prayers, make ur mum ur friend,u'll be amazed at its effectiveness.If u need more on family relationship and effective communication then see my blog below. Cheers

http://wwwmaritalsolutions..com
Keeping u informed about Marriage, family and relationship issues
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by JJYOU: 2:53pm On Mar 04, 2009
she mean u well. chill and understand
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Mar 04, 2009
a
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by bluespice(f): 5:30pm On Mar 04, 2009
its as simple as telling her ur not interested in her guy
make her understand that she cant rule ur life in a polite manner pls!
be civil to her guy but make both of them understand clearly that they dont get to choose for u,
u have chosen n sadly it isnt their choice
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by JustGood(m): 5:57pm On Mar 04, 2009
meet the man and tell him he's not your type and you're not attracted to him.

chikenna
Re: How Can I Talk Some Sense Into My Mother? by lexdino: 8:35am On Mar 25, 2009
MrCrackles:

Hybrid babies are awesome
were you wronged by one,? tongue

(1) (Reply)

In Nigeria Three-of-10-men-are-not-fathers-of-their-kids-says-dna-expert / Your Life Partner Says / Help !!!! He Doesn't Really Have Time For Romance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.