Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,930 members, 7,810,593 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:42 AM

Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking (1716 Views)

Best Way To Discipline A Child Without Spanking / Spanking Your Child In Public / Spanking Can Lower You Child's Iq (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by SisiKill1: 10:56pm On Sep 06, 2012
Ooooooh! I see the makings on a Royal Rumble like saga here oh lipsrsealed

[size=18pt]Canadian Experts Call for Nationwide Ban on Spanking[/size]

Canada's top medical journal has called for the repeal of the country's 120-year-old "spanking law," which allows corporal punishment. In a strongly worded editorial published on September 4, John Fletcher, the editor-in-chief of the Canadian Medical Association Journal (CMAJ), called physical punishment an "anachronistic excuse for poor parenting." The editorial accompanies a meta-analysis of 20 years of research about the ill effects of spanking, conducted by Joan Durant PhD of the University of Manitoba, first published in February and reprinted in the current volume of the CMAJ.

An estimated fifty percent of Canadian parents spank their children, and Canada, like the United States, protects parents' right to physically discipline kids. Section 43 of the Canadian Criminal Code states, "A parent is justified in using force by way of correction…if the force does not exceed what is reasonable under the circumstances." Worldwide, more than 30 countries prohibit corporal punishment in the home including Austria, New Zealand, and Sweden.

Fletcher and Durant argue that current research shows spanking is an ineffective tool and that there is substantial evidence linking it to mental health issues including depression and substance abuse as well as to increased aggressive behavior. "Surely any bias should be toward protecting children, who are the most vulnerable," writes Fletcher. "To have a specific code excusing parents is to suggest that assault by a parent is a normal and accepted part of bringing up children. It is not. While section 43 stands, it is a constant excuse for parents to cling to an ineffective method of child discipline when better approaches are available."

Spanking is a controversial issue in Canada, and Section 43 been contested a number of times. Most recently, in 2004, the Supreme Court upheld it in a 6-3 ruling. A United Nations panel on children's rights has called on the country to repeal the law. In response to the CMAJ, a spokesperson for Minister of Justice Rob Nicholson told the National Post, "Parents are in the best position to raise their children. We believe it is up to them, not the government, to decide what is best for their children so long as it is within reason."

In his editorial, Fletcher asserts that, "Parents need to be re-educated as to how to discipline their children." Durant, who is also the author of popular free online parenting guide, 'Positive Discipline,' says she hopes doctors will look at spanking as a medical issue and do more to advise parents on alternatives. "If we had two or three studies that showed that if you took 500 mg of vitamin C a day you could reduce cancer risk," she said in a statement emphasizing the breadth and depth of scientific research on the negative effects of physical punishment, "we would all be taking 500 mg of vitamin C a day."

Would you support the ban on spanking in your country?
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by SisiKill1: 10:57pm On Sep 06, 2012
How does one add a poll to threads?
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by Johndoe100(m): 12:04am On Sep 07, 2012
We Nigerians don't have time for this kind of BS. We know what is required to discipline children. In your country, you hate corporal punishment , but kill prisoners and each other like flies. We have corporal punishment and very few prisoners.

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by Kobojunkie: 1:00am On Sep 07, 2012
I wouldn't support the banning of anything in that country. Ban-ban-ban seems to be our Government's solution to everything.
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by Nobody: 4:44am On Sep 07, 2012
I heard about this and Yes I support it.
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by safeact(m): 5:34am On Sep 07, 2012
So that our yet born children will turn to wolves against us at a slightest provocation. It is our culture to discipline them in a hard way! Even Jonathan understand that using subsidy as a case study!

1 Like

Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by Nobody: 9:15am On Sep 07, 2012
I think I remember sisi talking about her childhood on one thread.
How she endured a lot of spankings and beatings as a child.
Maybe that is why she is the way she is.
grin grin
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by Nobody: 9:32am On Sep 07, 2012
^^^ at least she survived. You are still trying to get over your divorce so Shuush.

You need therapy though, or see one of your Muslim prophets for cleansing of the heart and soul. You are still hurting, even on nairaland we can feel the pain you felt te day your wife looked you in the face with all her bags packed and said "Richy, go to hell and choke on your sp3rm cos I am moving out with our child, pray you get visitation rights"

It must hurt, the wound is still so fresh. cry
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by Nobody: 9:50am On Sep 07, 2012
jennykadry: .

"Richy, go to hell and choke on your sp3rm ."
'(

The same way your father chokes on spr3m aye?
jenny,I have told you times without number I am not that osu of a husband you have got locked up in your bedroom.
I know you have turned him into a zombie,because that is the only way any man can stay near your sinking a$$.
Besides I remember you saying he never paid a dime to your father as dowry.That was the only way your father could get rid of you by giving your stinking a$$ away for free.
Now run to the moderators and make them ban me.
B1tch!
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by Nobody: 10:14am On Sep 07, 2012
Eyaaaaaa. I must have hit a nerve. See what I am saying? You are hurting really bad. I will scout for a prophet for you to help you get past this grieving stage. She has moved on without another man, why don't oi do same? Sisikill's is available you know sad
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by Nobody: 10:27am On Sep 07, 2012
Johndoe100: We Nigerians don't have time for this kind of BS. We know what is required to discipline children. In your country, you hate corporal punishment , but kill prisoners and each other like flies. We have corporal punishment and very few prisoners.
dats y there are rapists dat can rape anytin dat has a vagina,old women and babies inclusive and hiv,polygamy is high with high level of violence and low thinking faculties.enjoy ur misries while other nations keep moving forward.mshewwwww.backward,third world nation indeed.i thought u folks should b morally high with ur so called level of instilling discipline (violence) in ur kids.do dat here and u will b prosecuted
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by Kobojunkie: 10:31am On Sep 07, 2012
kulyie: dats y there are no rapists and hiv is low with low level of violence.enjoy ur misries while other nations keep moving forward

ROFLMAO!!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by Nobody: 10:34am On Sep 07, 2012
Richvkunt:

The same way your father chokes on spr3m aye?
jenny,I have told you times without number I am not that osu of a husband you have got locked up in your bedroom.
I know you have turned him into a zombie,because that is the only way any man can stay near your sinking a$$.
Besides I remember you saying he never paid a dime to your father as dowry.That was the only way your father could get rid of you by giving your stinking a$$ away for free.
Now run to the moderators and make them ban me.
B1tch!
hehehehehehe see d frustrated rantings of an idle young man.
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by Nobody: 10:36am On Sep 07, 2012
jennykadry: Eyaaaaaa. I must have hit a nerve. See what I am saying? You are hurting really bad. I will scout for a prophet for you to help you get past this grieving stage. She has moved on without another man, why don't oi do same? Sisikill's is available you know sad
hahahahaha are u minding him.he sounds like his wife has been snatched away by a big boy
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by free2ryhme: 10:52am On Sep 07, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Ooooooh! I see the makings on a Royal Rumble like saga here oh lipsrsealed

[size=18pt]Canadian Experts Call for Nationwide Ban on Spanking[/size]

Canada's top medical journal has called for the repeal of the country's 120-year-old "spanking law," which allows corporal punishment. In a strongly worded editorial published on September 4, John Fletcher, the editor-in-chief of the Canadian Medical Association Journal (CMAJ), called physical punishment an "anachronistic excuse for poor parenting." The editorial accompanies a meta-analysis of 20 years of research about the ill effects of spanking, conducted by Joan Durant PhD of the University of Manitoba, first published in February and reprinted in the current volume of the CMAJ.

An estimated fifty percent of Canadian parents spank their children, and Canada, like the United States, protects parents' right to physically discipline kids. Section 43 of the Canadian Criminal Code states, "A parent is justified in using force by way of correction…if the force does not exceed what is reasonable under the circumstances." Worldwide, more than 30 countries prohibit corporal punishment in the home including Austria, New Zealand, and Sweden.

Fletcher and Durant argue that current research shows spanking is an ineffective tool and that there is substantial evidence linking it to mental health issues including depression and substance abuse as well as to increased aggressive behavior. "Surely any bias should be toward protecting children, who are the most vulnerable," writes Fletcher. "To have a specific code excusing parents is to suggest that assault by a parent is a normal and accepted part of bringing up children. It is not. While section 43 stands, it is a constant excuse for parents to cling to an ineffective method of child discipline when better approaches are available."

Spanking is a controversial issue in Canada, and Section 43 been contested a number of times. Most recently, in 2004, the Supreme Court upheld it in a 6-3 ruling. A United Nations panel on children's rights has called on the country to repeal the law. In response to the CMAJ, a spokesperson for Minister of Justice Rob Nicholson told the National Post, "Parents are in the best position to raise their children. We believe it is up to them, not the government, to decide what is best for their children so long as it is within reason."

In his editorial, Fletcher asserts that, "Parents need to be re-educated as to how to discipline their children." Durant, who is also the author of popular free online parenting guide, 'Positive Discipline,' says she hopes doctors will look at spanking as a medical issue and do more to advise parents on alternatives. "If we had two or three studies that showed that if you took 500 mg of vitamin C a day you could reduce cancer risk," she said in a statement emphasizing the breadth and depth of scientific research on the negative effects of physical punishment, "we would all be taking 500 mg of vitamin C a day."

Would you support the ban on spanking in your country?

*Yawn*

2 Likes

Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by Nobody: 12:13pm On Sep 07, 2012
I for one would support the ban, if it was implemented.
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by TV01(m): 12:31pm On Sep 07, 2012
Proverbs 13.24
Proverbs 22.15

Legislation by the wicked for the foolish.

1 Like

Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by SisiKill1: 12:55pm On Sep 07, 2012
Richvkunt: I think I remember sisi talking about her childhood on one thread.
How she endured a lot of spankings and beatings as a child.
Maybe that is why she is the way she is.
grin grin
Awwww. ...Richy boo, it makes my heart race knowing you are always thinking about me.

I mean what's more loving than that? Nothing that's what! cool

I wuv you babycakes kiss
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by blank(f): 12:56pm On Sep 07, 2012
Why not leave the law for those who will make use of it? If you do not want to spank your kid, DONT. How will banning other parents from doing what they think is best affect your own kid? Remember, the law says "within reason" so not talking about people injuring their kids in the name of correction.

1 Like

Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by Nobody: 1:17pm On Sep 07, 2012
kulyie: hehehehehehe see d frustrated rantings of an idle young man.

kulyie/Tobi,
You are still a very rude girl.
This is 2012,and you have not changed a bit. Why involve yourself in a beef between me and jenny?
I have enough knives and forks if you wanna partake in the meal,kappish?

1 Like

Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by Nobody: 1:23pm On Sep 07, 2012
jennykadry: Eyaaaaaa. I must have hit a nerve. See what I am saying? You are hurting really bad. I will scout for a prophet for you to help you get past this grieving stage. She has moved on without another man, why don't oi do same? Sisikill's is available you know sad

Thanks for the advice,I like sisi but she does not like men. I think she likes women,the result of too many beatings and spankings when she was a child.
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by SisiKill1: 2:58pm On Sep 07, 2012
Richvkunt:

Thanks for the advice,I like sisi but she does not like men. I think she likes women,the result of too many beatings and spankings when she was a child.
Well now! This totally explains why I like you. . .Totally!!!! shocked shocked

You know in retrospect, I should have guessed you are a woman. I mean you do have all the qualities some think are typical of women. . .You whine a lot, you can't let go. . .of anything, you can hold a grudge ehn, you whine a lot, you are malicious, you whine a lot.. . all of that in addition to all the qualities of a woman scorned that seeps through every pore on your body.

Jeeedus! H Christos! Dude. . .errr. . .I mean Dudette, why the hating on your fellow sisters??!!

Aww, Darling sis. . .whatever the matter is. . .was, please please know that you are with friends here. So Let it go babe, just let it out.

Oh come 'ere you! One Love Sis!!

1 Like

Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by ifyalways(f): 3:40pm On Sep 07, 2012
Rofl.

Sis. Richy and bros Sisi. You guys actually make good couple. . .erhm. . Sibling. cheesy So much love and understanding. Lol

The other day, Rich said Sisi is the only female cabalite he can play with. Boy, was I green with envy? I wanna be Sisi for a day oh.

Anyhoos, when are we finally getting the "good bye thread" ? I wake everyday, rush to the family section expecting to see that "thread-of-the-year" and all I see is fake threads created for and by the "usual suspects"

Oh lawdy! I'll miss Richy.

I would.
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by maclatunji: 3:47pm On Sep 07, 2012
jennykadry: ^^^ at least she survived. You are still trying to get over your divorce so Shuush.

You need therapy though, or see one of your Muslim prophets for cleansing of the heart and soul. You are still hurting, even on nairaland we can feel the pain you felt te day your wife looked you in the face with all her bags packed and said "Richy, go to hell and choke on your sp3rm cos I am moving out with our child, pray you get visitation rights"

It must hurt, the wound is still so fresh. cry

You should expand your scope of learning Jenny.
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by Nobody: 7:47pm On Sep 08, 2012
Richvkunt:

kulyie/Tobi,
This is 2012,and you have not changed a bit. Why involve yourself in a beef between me and jenny?
hehehehehhe thank u,im not hungry,ill rather u bring ur own fork and knife and a word of advice,stop usin d word 'kapish' it sounds stupid to me,
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by Nobody: 7:52pm On Sep 08, 2012
Richvkunt:

kulyie/Tobi,
by d way u seem to easily get angry a lot.hope u will not have high blood pressure bfor d end of dis yr because of d rate u get angry over every flimsy issue.u beta cool down o,nairaland is not a place for dat and how old are u sef dat u r tellin me am a rude gal?if ure below 6o,abeg shift,who u dey follow do dat one?hehehehehe .smh.som nairalanders r so funny
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by Nobody: 3:30pm On Sep 09, 2012
kulyie: by d way u seem to easily get angry a lot.hope u will not have high blood pressure bfor d end of dis yr because of d rate u get angry over every flimsy issue.u beta cool down o,nairaland is not a place for dat and how old are u sef dat u r tellin me am a rude gal?if ure below 6o,abeg shift,who u dey follow do dat one?hehehehehe .smh.som nairalanders r so funny

Tobi/kuylie,
It appears you have forgotten the man that took your cherry and dumped your RUDE a$$ right here, hehehehe. Little girl, the jokes on you.-www.nairaland.com/473195/break-up-story#6326684

kulyie: hehehehehhe thank u,im not hungry,ill rather u bring ur own fork and knife and a word of advice,stop usin d word 'kapish' it sounds stupid to me,
And you appear to have a short memory since a few weeks ago you did not know the meaning of kappish. see right here-www.nairaland.com/1008079/nairalanders-what-d-meaning-...
@Tobi,the little rude girl, do not try to play grown folks games,please return to the romance section and next time try and learn how to spell properly.All your phone speak is making my head ache!
Now where is the aspirin?
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by Nobody: 3:48pm On Sep 09, 2012
maclatunji:

You should expand your scope of learning Jenny.

Remind me when I am ready cool
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by Nobody: 6:57am On Sep 12, 2012
Richvkunt:

Tobi/kuylie,
It appears you have forgotten the man that took your cherry and dumped your RUDE a$$ right here, hehehehe. Little girl, the jokes on you.-www.nairaland.com/473195/break-up-story#6326684

And you appear to have a short memory since a few weeks ago you did not know the meaning of kappish. see right here-www.nairaland.com/1008079/nairalanders-what-d-meaning-...
@Tobi,the little rude girl, do not try to play grown folks games,please return to the romance section and next time try and learn how to spell properly.All your phone speak is making my head ache!
Now where is the aspirin?

hahahahahhaha so u really intend to make me feel bad by dat,well ungentle man,if dat was ur intention,u have anoda thing comin because av totaly moved on and 4gotin (dats y its called past,d past is meant to b 4gotten,once again are u up to 6o,if not scram!) smh.very pathetic fellow indeed.then as 4 d fone text dat is givin u headache,pls its nt compulsor u read d thread richkunt carry ur rich kunt elsewere 4 available dicks or punanis,whichever category u fall into
Re: Doctors Call On Country To Ban Spanking by Ishilove: 7:19am On Sep 12, 2012
safeact: So that our yet born children will turn to wolves against us at a slightest provocation.
So that one day they will take a gun to school and gun down their schoolmates and teachers. So that one day they will beat us up when we are trying to chastise them.

(1) (Reply)

A Man Tries To Kill Himself Over Eye Issue / Can U Guess Wht This Mother Is Tellin Her Daughter? / But I Should Have A Gf Now!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.