Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,207 members, 7,829,318 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? - Sports (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? (32423 Views)

Who Is Nigeria’s Greatest Number 5? / Loic Remy Refused Number-9 Shirt. / Nigeria's Greatest Soccer Star? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by hardbody: 5:42am On Oct 26, 2014
StarBoard:

next time think with your head.

I pointed out that Kanu doesnt have a GOAL at AFCON or the Mundial for him to be even considered in this argument.
Apparently you are blind as well to also see where I mentioned that Yekini was Naija's all time scoring leader and in your vacuous state you rush to accuse me of not arguing with a strong point.

Next time put your thoughts in order before spewing rubbish in a public forum.
Thank you

My patience is sufficiently stretched but i have struggled to rein in my emotion and i will continue to contain your immaturity. I will not condescend to using gutter language just as you. Beats me hollow how some people cannot converse without the outpouring of invectives. Again i will let it slide. If u had expected me to join you in this, you came at a wrong time. Keep galloping, your 'brilliance' is being manifested to all.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Nobody: 6:13am On Oct 26, 2014
hardbody:

My patience is sufficiently stretched but i have struggled to rein in my emotion and i will continue to contain your immaturity. I will not condescend to using gutter language just as you. Beats me hollow how some people cannot converse without the outpouring of invectives. Again i will let it slide. If u had expected me to join you in this, you came at a wrong time. Keep galloping, your 'brilliance' is being manifested to all.
shattap jor.
If you dont have anything tangible to say on this mayter, go and get laid.
The issue at hand is about Nigeria s all time #9. Translation(as you are a simpleton of the lowest exponent): Nigeria's greatest goslscorer. You are talking about step overs.
I wonder how you graduated. if you cannot translate simple statements there is no point arguing with a certifief dullard.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Revolva(m): 7:10am On Oct 26, 2014
i will sincerely take Goodluck Jonathan ,,,,,,cos the man dey score goal like fire
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by donbenie(m): 7:46am On Oct 26, 2014
acenazt:
Rashidi yekini was a forward not a striker. a striker should be able to dribble and run. A forward on the other hand is made a for power and shot. to muscle his way into goals.
That's the most ST.UPID comment i have seen in the last ONE YEAR.. Seriously,are you for real?

3 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by acenazt: 8:17am On Oct 26, 2014
[quote author=donbenie post=27459550]That's the most ST.UPID comment i have seen in the last ONE YEAR.. Seriously,are you for real? [/quote
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Nobody: 8:39am On Oct 26, 2014
acenazt:
ohh really? well thanks for the insult what do I expect from someone who doesn't know the difference between a stricker and a forward?
Yekini was a striker. An out and out no 9. Why must you embarrass yourself like this? And it's spelt 'striker' not 'stricker'.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by acenazt: 8:52am On Oct 26, 2014
rickkid:

Yekini was a striker. An out and out no 9. Why must you embarrass yourself like this? And it's spelt 'striker' not 'stricker'.
Ohh sorry for my blunder. Yekini was a striker.thanks for the spelling correction. but With or without the skills, he perfectly did his work as a 9

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by netmillionaires(m): 9:25am On Oct 26, 2014
PDF:
Wouldn't even call Kanu a No 9!

i tire o. All this kids wey dem never born when kanu retire dey fume say dey know kanu. Abeg na number 4 jersey kanu dey wear o. No b number 9. E just b say kanu dey very creative and scored some wonderful goals.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by mecussey(m): 9:48am On Oct 26, 2014
PDF:
Wouldn't even call Kanu a No 9!

Kanu does not wear 9, he wears 4
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Bome01(m): 10:11am On Oct 26, 2014
We all know its Rashidi Yekini. . .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by datkoded(m): 11:22am On Oct 26, 2014
Tolexander:
Kanu ke?

Seems you didn't witness the days of Rashidi Yekini!
no he didn't

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Nobody: 11:47am On Oct 26, 2014
Jonathan
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Veneto81: 1:19pm On Oct 26, 2014
The way it looks. seems like yekini . The Goal Father. Well i prefer agh a wonder anyway anytime

Trying to get a vote to see what Nigerians think from my list below.

http://yashidasports.com/who-is-nigeria-greatest-number-9/

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by hardbody: 2:13pm On Oct 26, 2014
StarBoard:

shattap jor.
If you dont have anything tangible to say on this mayter, go and get laid.
The issue at hand is about Nigeria s all time #9. Translation(as you are a simpleton of the lowest exponent): Nigeria's greatest goslscorer. You are talking about step overs.
I wonder how you graduated. if you cannot translate simple statements there is no point arguing with a certifief dullard.

Write in english or STFU. Lil bastar.d of a sorry ar.se hag
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by easyelliot(m): 2:21pm On Oct 26, 2014
Hardtalk:

I will not blame anyone who says, Kanu is Nigeria's best number 9. The reason is simple. Such a person will be btw the ages of 19 and 25. Or must have been born from 1990 upward. Again, becos many of our youths are fond of cutting corners (eg like JAMB and post-JAMB exams), they will never read to know true facts and compare results, or what they have read.

I wished they grew up to see Rashidi's statue at the national stadium in Lagos. This argument would have been totally unnecessary. That I want NFF and Nigerian govt to do, for this unrecognised legend.

Straight to the point. Abedi Pele is regarded as the greatest player ever in the history of Ghanaian football, yet, how many goals and trophies did he win for Ghana?

George Opon Weah, till date, (for me), is the greatest player from the soil of Africa (becos he won Euro and World footballer of the year), yet, how many goals did he score in the world cup?

You may still not want to use that as a basis. If Kanu is regarded as Nigerian best 9, please, how many goals does he have in the nations cup? Besides, in all the qualifiers for nations cup and by extension, world cup, how many goals has his number 9 shirt, scored for Nigeria? How many impossible stunts has he performed that ensured Nigerians victory in crucial events (out Japan Korea 1993 and Atlanta 1996)?

As for Rashidi Yekini, the list for his achievements is endless. This is a man who singlehandedly turned national stadium in Lagos, to a slaughter slab. No nation came there, and never left with a bitter experience. To list a few (tho I am not good in remembering years)...
1. Rashidi Yekini's exploit as in Moroc '88 is still fresh in our memories.
2. Algiers '90, he single handled took Nigeria to the finals (even with homebased squad)
3. As bad as Senegal '92 team was, Rashidi still stood out (not minding the blunders from Alloy Agu).
4. Tunisia 94, we all know how how became a household name, becos of his epxloit. We won. No one will easily forget his ballistic missile in Congo, that secured that all important victory against congo in Point-Noire.
5. Btw 1993 and 1994, no one will foget all his goals that led to Nigeria's qualification in nations cup and her first world cup. Is it the impossible goal (from impossible angle) against Algeria in Lagos)? Is it how he scored a beautiful goal against Ivory Coast in Abidjan (tho we lost). Is it the total annihilation of Burkina Faso, here in Lagos.

What took CAF and FIFA to moan a player, means, he did the extra-ordinary. Note, Yekini has always celebrated his goals, alone. In fact, he celebrated his goals more with security officials, than his team mates.

In summary, who ever chooses Kanu before Yekini, must have been born from 1990 upward. So, I forgive such a person. YEKINI...is the greatest KING of GOALS in NIGERIA.

You are absolutely on point. But I blame those born in the 70s for not passing on the history to those born in 90s.

Before Nigeria qualified for the 94 wc, our first ,my parents wouldn't stop talking about Segun Odegbami, muda lawal, Henry nwosu etc even though Nigeria never qualified during their time. I appreciate players like that for paving the way for the 94 team just as much as I appreciate Kanu and his exploits on and off the field.

Yekini will always be the man and he needs to be honored. I'm sure if they put a statue of him at the Abuja stadium, the kids will be more appreciative.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by coronaprof(m): 2:23pm On Oct 26, 2014
Rasheed yekini

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Veneto81: 4:13pm On Oct 26, 2014
Obagoal is also awesome. we didn't give all the opportunities. Great striker.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by yemyemis(m): 4:19pm On Oct 26, 2014
kennygee:
Rashidi Yekini of blessed memory.
see dis 1 ooooo where u follow wash rashidi yekini
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Hardtalk: 5:16pm On Oct 26, 2014
easyelliot:

You are absolutely on point. But I blame those born in the 70s for not passing on the history to those born in 90s.

Before Nigeria qualified for the 94 wc, our first ,my parents wouldn't stop talking about Segun Odegbami, muda lawal, Henry nwosu etc even though Nigeria never qualified during their time. I appreciate players like that for paving the way for the 94 team just as much as I appreciate Kanu and his exploits on and off the field.

Yekini will always be the man and he needs to be honored. I'm sure if they put a statue of him at the Abuja stadium, the kids will be more appreciative.

Hmm....I wont blame this generation. In fact, when YEKINI was still invogue, many started comparing him with Segun Odegbami. What a wrong combination?

Segun played No. 7 all thru. Should you want to compare, you should compare Segun Odegbami with Friday Elaho, Finnidi George, Felix Owolabi. From that list, you will get who was better.

Even comparing Yekini and Kanu, is not proper, as Kanu played No. 8 (mostly), while Yekini was No. 9. As far as I am concern, without Yekini, there wouldnt have been Samson Siasia, and later Daniel Omokachi. They both rode of the fame of Yekini.

Should anyone wants to compare, it should be from this list:

No. 9 = Rashidi Yekini, Obafemi Martins, Emmanuel Emenike.

No. 8 = Kanu Nwakwo, Samson Siasia, Daniel Omokachi, Brown Ideye.

No. 7 = Segun Odegbami, Friday Elaho, Finidi George; Felix Owolabi.

No. 10 = Etim Esin, Friday Ekpo, JayJay Okocha, Mikel Obi.

No. 1 = Peter Rufai, Best Ogedegbe, Emmanuel Okala, Ike Shorunmu.

Thats the pattern of comparism that I want.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Hardtalk: 5:17pm On Oct 26, 2014
easyelliot:

Hmm....I wont blame this generation. In fact, when YEKINI was still invogue, many started comparing him with Segun Odegbami. What a wrong comparism?

Segun played No. 7 all thru. Should you want to compare, you should compare Segun Odegbami with Friday Elaho, Finnidi George, Felix Owolabi. From that list, you will get who was better.

Even comparing Yekini and Kanu, is not proper, as Kanu played No. 8 (mostly), while Yekini was No. 9. As far as I am concern, without Yekini, there wouldnt have been Samson Siasia, and later Daniel Omokachi. They both rode of the fame of Yekini.

Should anyone wants to compare, it should be from this list:

No. 9 = Rashidi Yekini, Obafemi Martins, Emmanuel Emenike.

No. 8 = Kanu Nwakwo, Samson Siasia, Daniel Omokachi, Brown Ideye.

No. 7 = Segun Odegbami, Friday Elaho, Finidi George; Felix Owolabi.

No. 10 = Etim Esin, Friday Ekpo, JayJay Okocha, Mikel Obi.

No. 1 = Peter Rufai, Best Ogedegbe, Emmanuel Okala, Ike Shorunmu.

Thats the pattern of comparism that I want.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:42pm On Oct 26, 2014
Jarus:

Good list, but Segun Odegbami was not a 9, he was a winger (7)

Amokachi was not a 9, he was a supporting striker (cool

Kanu was not a 9, he was mainly a supporting striker (cool.

A 9 is a top striker.

When you talk of 9 in Nigeria's NT in the last 2 decades, you talk of:

Rashidi
Martins
Aghahowa
Agali
Yakubu
Ikpeba

(Not in any order)

IK Uche also plays 9, but operates from the wing more.
Bro, I know what a No 9 is.
Last Bullet
My list was on players that played as Nigeria's main striker (No 9) at some point.
Some of them like Yekini, Martins, Osaze Aghaowa, Yakubu were originally No 9. But players like Kanu, IK Uche, Odegbam & Amokachi played as Nigeria's No 9 in some matches.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by alphaking(m): 1:11am On Oct 27, 2014
Kanu was never a 9 both for country and club.Rashidi yekini scored a lot of goals but i believe he played more matches than obagoal. obagoal should have a better goal per match ratio than rashidi yekini.OP even yobo has more international goals than kanu

1 Like

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by Veneto81: 7:14am On Oct 27, 2014
This thread is becoming so interesting.

visit www.yashidasports.com for the latest sporting news, gist, scores.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by femi4: 2:11pm On Oct 27, 2014
acenazt:
ohh really? well thanks for the insult what do I expect from someone who doesn't know the difference between a stricker and a forward?
Stop displaying your ignorance
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by femi4: 2:15pm On Oct 27, 2014
OkikiOluwa1:

Bro, I know what a No 9 is.
Last Bullet
My list was on players that played as Nigeria's main striker (No 9) at some point.
Some of them like Yekini, Martins, Osaze Aghaowa, Yakubu were originally No 9. But players like Kanu, IK Uche, Odegbam & Amokachi played as Nigeria's No 9 in some matches.
Odegbami played 7 throughout his career. Its like saying Finidi played as Nig 9
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by excelabbey(m): 5:21pm On Oct 27, 2014
Veneto81:
Who is Nigeria's greatest Number 9.

I think is Kanu Nwankwo ?

Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 5:56pm On Oct 27, 2014
femi4:
Odegbami played 7 throughout his career. Its like saying Finidi played as Nig 9
Segun Odegbami was naturally a striker. It was due to his style of play that makes him operate from the wings as a No 7 & he was later used as a winger or striker in some matches.
Stop your ITK.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by femi4: 6:30pm On Oct 27, 2014
OkikiOluwa1:

Segun Odegbami was naturally a striker. It was due to his style of play that makes him operate from the wings as a No 7 & he was later used as a winger or striker in some matches.
Stop your ITK.
He was never a top 9....?Is Messi/C. Ronaldo a top 9.
How old were you in 1980?
Odegbami was brought up in the northern city of Jos, Plateau State.[2] He won 46 caps and scored 23 goals for the National Team, and guided Nigeria to its first Africa Cup of Nations title at the 1980 tournament in his homeland. Nicknamed Mathematical, he was famous for his skill on the ball, speed and precision of his crosses from the right wing
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 8:29pm On Oct 27, 2014
femi4:
He was never a top 9....?Is Messi/C. Ronaldo a top 9.
Tell me the position of Messi & Ronaldo. Ain't they also playing as No 9?
femi4:

How old were you in 1980?
This is pointless.
I warn you!
femi4:

Odegbami was brought up in the northern city of Jos, Plateau State.[2] He won 46 caps and scored 23 goals for the National Team, and guided Nigeria to its first Africa Cup of Nations title at the 1980 tournament in his homeland. Nicknamed Mathematical, he was famous for his skill on the ball, speed and precision of his crosses from the right wing
You just copied this word for word from wikipedia. And you came to Nairaland to educate me on what I knew.
You are not intelligent.
Last Bullet
My reply post to Jarus was to explain to him the kinda Nigerian No 9 am talking about & why I picked Odegbami & Amokachi as part of them.
Don't come here to claim I too know, seniority or whatever.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by femi4: 8:44pm On Oct 27, 2014
OkikiOluwa1:

Tell me the position of Messi & Ronaldo. Ain't they also playing as No 9?
Stop displaying your ignorance and learn what "no 9" means in the world of soccer

This is pointless.
I warn you!

Its pointless to you because you are a big time learner!

You just copied this word for word from wikipedia. And you came to Nairaland to educate me on what I knew.
You are not intelligent.

Sure its from wiki, and its there to educated unborn kid like you that didn't see 1980 CAN. Stop making f00l of yourself
Last Bullet
My reply post to Jarus was to explain to him the kinda Nigerian No 9 am talking about & why I picked Odegbami & Amokachi as part of them.
Don't come here to claim I too know, seniority or whatever.
Re: Who Is Nigeria Greatest Number 9 ? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:17pm On Oct 27, 2014
femi4:
for you to still claim that I m someone that didn't see 1980 CAN proves that you are a small kid that easily assume things.
For the records, I saw 1980 CAN.
This ll make me ask you how old you really are? Cos you so much crave for superiority btw me & you.
The most foolish thing you did was to call someone that knows what he's saying ignorant when you are the real ignoramous!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ronaldo Equals Puskás's International Record / Deborah Pam And Iliya Pam Win Ibadan City Marathon 2018 (Pictures) / Germany Vs Nigeria (U-20 World Cup) [3 -2] Ouch!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.