Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,226 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:02 PM

Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? (3688 Views)

If Korede Cant Sing Godwin In Church, Should He Pay Tithe From Godwin To Church? / TB Joshua Returns N500,000 Tithe To Elderly Woman / Is It Wrong To Give Your Tithe To The Poor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by 9jaBloke: 9:37am On Oct 26, 2014
Good a.m Nairalanders,
I sincerely need your advice & suggestions on the question above. First, permit me to briefly discuss the topic and shed a little light on the events that prompted the question.

I'm a serious advocate of tithing cos I see it as a way of acknowledging God by financially empowering your place of worship. So, I always encourage anyone that seeks my opinion to make giving back 10% of monthly earnings a point of duty.

I'm aware of all the points raised by various schools of thoughts on why tithes should not be paid. Reasons like; enriching pastors, mismanagement of funds, misintepretation of the scriptures e.t.c. Some are valid while others are unsubstantiated but tithes are ideally to be used to support less privileged brethren, develop religious houses, finance evangelism and other programs.

Initially it was not easy for me to be consistent, but when doubt creeps in, I remember that God gives us everything we have free of charge and is asking for just 10% back so I close my eyes and pay up. Now I indulge religiously without qualms.

Back to the topic, a friend recently narrated the following to me: His monthly pay is such that after settling bills and paying 10 % as tithe, what is left barely sees him through the month.
The conditions at home just worsened and he is now mandated to support his parents and siblings with a fraction of his pay every month-which also amounts to 10%.
There is no way he can cope with the two so he is contemplating giving up tithing.

NB: Pls advice and suggestions urgently needed from tithers who understand tithing.

Stay blessed.
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by SeunEatsGARRI: 9:50am On Oct 26, 2014
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by emmyskies(m): 10:14am On Oct 26, 2014
He should give to GOD what belongs to GOD.

Just 10% is GOD's, he can do whatever he wants with the 90%

He needs upliftment financially, sparing his tithe won't be a solution. He needs to earn more. This is where he needs to change his mindset from not paying tithes and drive it to earning more. He needs to challenge GOD. He should simply knock and the door will be opened for him, ask and he shall receive. All these on one condition -salvation, holiness and righteousness first
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by Rich4god(m): 10:49am On Oct 26, 2014
You dont uphold any law at the expense of your own life or that of your neighbour/relations. If truly removing 10percent frm his salary to pay tithe will realy affect him financialy, then he should divert the 10percent to the pressing need and forget abt tithe pending when things gets better... In this case, his parent...

2 Likes

Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by 9jaBloke: 2:06pm On Oct 26, 2014
[quote author=emmyskies][/quote] I thought about that too, but I was made to understand that his folks depend entirely on what he sends them and he cannot afford to deduct from anywhere else.
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by 9jaBloke: 2:11pm On Oct 26, 2014
[quote author=Rich4god post=27462474][/quote] This was the first thing that came to my mind. That's probably what I'd have done if I were in his shoes but I don't want to give a wrong advice cos I also believe we should follow God's dictates and have absolute Faith in Him.
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by Rich4god(m): 2:31pm On Oct 26, 2014
9jaBloke:
This was the first thing that came to my mind. That's probably what I'd have done if I were in his shoes but I don't want to give a wrong advice cos I also believe we should follow God's dictates and have absolute Faith in Him.
Guy... Thats the best one can do in such situation... You dont uphold any law at the expense of your fellow humans... Even Christ broke some rules so as to help pple...
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by PastorKun(m): 3:16pm On Oct 26, 2014
9jaBloke:
Good a.m Nairalanders,
I sincerely need your advice & suggestions on the question above. First, permit me to briefly discuss the topic and shed a little light on the events that prompted the question.

I'm a serious advocate of tithing cos I see it as a way of acknowledging God by financially empowering your place of worship. So, I always encourage anyone that seeks my opinion to make giving back 10% of monthly earnings a point of duty.

I'm aware of all the points raised by various schools of thoughts on why tithes should not be paid. Reasons like; enriching pastors, mismanagement of funds, misintepretation of the scriptures e.t.c. Some are valid while others are unsubstantiated but tithes are ideally to be used to support less privileged brethren, develop religious houses, finance evangelism and other programs.

Initially it was not easy for me to be consistent, but when doubt creeps in, I remember that God gives us everything we have free of charge and is asking for just 10% back so I close my eyes and pay up. Now I indulge religiously without qualms.

Back to the topic, a friend recently narrated the following to me: His monthly pay is such that after settling bills and paying 10 % as tithe, what is left barely sees him through the month.
The conditions at home just worsened and he is now mandated to support his parents and siblings with a fraction of his pay every month-which also amounts to 10%.
There is no way he can cope with the two so he is contemplating giving up tithing.

NB: Pls advice and suggestions urgently needed from tithers who understand tithing.

Stay blessed.

In the first instance, there is no christian obligation for your friend to tithe as christians are not under the law. If he chooses to tiithe it should be 100% voluntary and not to fulfil any church obligation. That said the bible tells us that any man that fails to take care of his household is worse than an infidel. As far as I see, there is no choice in the matter, your friend should take care of his parents and give only offerings he can afford to the church.

1 Like

Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by asudan: 5:10pm On Oct 26, 2014
9jaBloke:
Good a.m Nairalanders,

Stay blessed.
My dear tell your friend to spread the tithe. Some persons are giving you wrong advise here because of what they see ministers do. Don't let the accuser of the brethren find fault here because a time will come when such a person will seek the lords face and he will not answer. He should try to spread perhaps daily, weekly or monthly. Have it at the back of your mind that if he pays tithe to his family or orphanage, he is only helping those in need and the lord will reward him.But if he gives 10% to God it attract God's favour. If he is regular tither, tell him to take his booklet or paper (tithe ) and place at home, cry to the Lord and remember God of his word because He says his word must come to pass..this should be done at mid night prayers for at least two weeks and expect results. Remember the blood of Jesus speaks better things better that of Abel.

1 Like

Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by 9jaBloke: 6:13pm On Oct 26, 2014
PastorKun:

In the first instance, there is no christian obligation for your friend to tithe as christians are not under the law. If he chooses to tiithe it should be 100% voluntary and not to fulfil any church obligation. That said the bible tells us that any man that fails to take care of his household is worse than an infidel. As far as I see, there is no choice in the matter, your friend should take care of his parents and give only offerings he can afford to the church.

Thanks PastorKun
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by 9jaBloke: 6:16pm On Oct 26, 2014
asudan:

My dear tell your friend to spread the tithe. Some persons are giving you wrong advise here because of what they see ministers do. Don't let the accuser of the brethren find fault here because a time will come when such a person will seek the lords face and he will not answer. He should try to spread perhaps daily, weekly or monthly. Have it at the back of your mind that if he pays tithe to his family or orphanage, he is only helping those in need and the lord will reward him.But if he gives 10% to God it attract God's favour. If he is regular tither, tell him to take his booklet or paper (tithe ) and place at home, cry to the Lord and remember God of his word because He says his word must come to pass..this should be done at mid night prayers for at least two weeks and expect results. Remember the blood of Jesus speaks better things better that of Abel.

Thanks asudan, your advice is well appreciated
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by esere826: 7:28pm On Oct 26, 2014
Option 1: It is said that when david was hungry, he ate bread that was permissible only for priests to eat.
Your friend can likewise do without tithing for now

Option 2: If your friend feels strongly that he should tithe then he can do any of these:

Option 2a) Just like government tax is taken away from earnings and the remaining salary is then tithed, he can add his parents money to the compulsory tax then tithe the remaining.

Option 2b) Your friend can tithe from all, then give his parents the rest of the money. And then apply faith for his own sustenance after this.

Option 2C) Your friend can pay his tithe then tell his pastor that himself and his parents are in need. That according to the old testament tradition, the pastor should take care of all of them as they are in need.

Option 2d) your friend can open a church that only himself and his family attends at first. He then pays his tithe to himself and can then be able to take care of his family.

9jaBloke:
Good a.m Nairalanders,

Stay blessed.
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by 9jaBloke: 9:53pm On Oct 26, 2014
Thanks esere, I rather like option 2a
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Oct 26, 2014
emmyskies:
He should give to GOD what belongs to GOD.

Just 10% is GOD's, he can do whatever he wants with the 90%

He needs upliftment financially, sparing his tithe won't be a solution. He needs to earn more. This is where he needs to change his mindset from not paying tithes and drive it to earning more. He needs to challenge GOD. He should simply knock and the door will be opened for him, ask and he shall receive. All these on one condition -salvation, holiness and righteousness first

Which of the acclaimed gods at the expense of his parents? Who gives this money to the imaginary god anyway? Oh more money for Oyedepo and Adeboye i suppose.
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by kevoh(m): 6:17am On Oct 27, 2014
Walahi, OP your friend lacks common sense! angry
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by 9jaBloke: 6:26am On Oct 27, 2014
kevoh:
Walahi, OP your friend lacks common sense! angry

No he does not. He's one of the smartest guys iv come across.
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by 9jaBloke: 6:30am On Oct 27, 2014
ifeness:

Which of the acclaimed gods at the expense of his parents? Who gives this money to the imaginary god anyway? Oh more money for Oyedepo and Adeboye i suppose.

Emmyskies wrote 'God' not gods & this actually goes beyond pastors and churches. The benefits of acknowledging God cannot be quantified.
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by PastorKun(m): 6:31am On Oct 27, 2014
9jaBloke:

No he does not. He's one of the smartest guys iv come across.

Get him to read deuteronomy 14:22-29 to get a whole new perspective on biblical tithes. When he is done he should also read Hebrews 7 : 5-19 here tithing was anulled for christians and described as a weak, useless and unprofitable law.
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by Nobody: 9:22am On Oct 27, 2014
9jaBloke:

Emmyskies wrote 'God' not gods & this actually goes beyond pastors and churches. The benefits of acknowledging God cannot be quantified.

Quantified you said huh? Are you not quantifying god when you said it needs money?

1 Like

Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by Rich4god(m): 9:43am On Oct 27, 2014
PastorKun:

Get him to read deuteronomy 14:22-29 to get a whole new perspective on biblical tithes. When he is done he should also read Hebrews 7 : 5-19 here tithing was anulled for christians and described as a weak, useless and unprofitable law.
Thanks alot for those verses... I know somany so called christians wont see it... Am pretty sure God wont be happy with you if you deny your fellow human the little money you have on the ground that you want to pay tithe...
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by kevoh(m): 9:57am On Oct 27, 2014
9jaBloke:

If he's smart as you claim then he should know that his situation is a no-brainer given the circumstance in bold face. undecided
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by 9jaBloke: 5:32pm On Oct 27, 2014
ifeness:

Quantified you said huh? Are you not quantifying god when you said it needs money?

Read the 3rd paragraph of the original post. Use capital 'G' for God, stop referring to Him as 'it' & my keypad can't talk.
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Oct 27, 2014
9jaBloke:

Read the 3rd paragraph of the original post. Use capital 'G' for God, stop referring to Him as 'it' & my keypad can't talk.

To bad i care less about using G for god.
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by Danabu(m): 5:43am On Oct 28, 2014
Even if he chooses to go by the way of the law which is rather obsolete, he should know that man and is not made for the law but the law for man. It is only the living that keep the law!
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by Nobody: 6:07am On Oct 28, 2014
Since your friend believes in paying tithe then he should continue the tradition but he needs to adopt a strategy that would work favourably for everyone.

It would be inappropriate for him to give his tithe to his parents. He should give to his parents and also pay his tithe.

A strategy he may adopt is to deduct his monthly personal running cost from his expected income and also deduct what it costs him to take care of his parents and siblings.

After which, he gives 10% of the balance to the church. The remaining should account for his monthly savings.

I may just create a thread detailing the above if I am inspired.

1 Like

Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by 9jaBloke: 11:39am On Oct 28, 2014
Danabu:
Even if he chooses to go by the way of the law which is rather obsolete, he should know that man and is not made for the law but the law for man. It is only the living that keep the law!

Point noted
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by 9jaBloke: 11:41am On Oct 28, 2014
Tnx striktlymi....good head u got
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by emmyskies(m): 8:40pm On Nov 10, 2014
ifeness:

Believe what you may. Someday sometime, you will understand it better. Hope it won't be too late then
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Nov 10, 2014
emmyskies:

Believe what you may. Someday sometime, you will understand it better. Hope it won't be too late then

I'm not bothered because i have thoughts.
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by emmyskies(m): 8:51pm On Nov 10, 2014
ifeness:

I'm not bothered because i have thoughts.

Hope your thoughts leads you to life eternal on the last day. Trusting your thoughts shay?
A proverb goes thus: A man that swallows a whole coconut should have enough faith in his anus.

A word of advice is enough for the wise
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by Nobody: 9:35pm On Nov 10, 2014
emmyskies:

Hope your thoughts leads you to life eternal on the last day. Trusting your thoughts shay?
A proverb goes thus: A man that swallows a whole coconut should have enough faith in his anus.

A word of advice is enough for the wise

What last day? Life is eternal my brother! I don't buy into negative teachings
Re: Should He Pay His Tithe To His Parents? by emmyskies(m): 7:11am On Nov 11, 2014
ifeness:

What last day? Life is eternal my brother! I don't buy into negative teachings
Fine. Till when the owner of life calls home, whom all the breath of life belongs

(1) (2) (Reply)

.. / Christ Apostolic Church (CAC) Worldwide Watchword For 2022 | Yoruba & English / Yes, I Believe In The Holy Coconut

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.