Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,709 members, 7,809,691 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:17 PM

How Do I Link My Free Blog To A Godaddy Domain Name? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How Do I Link My Free Blog To A Godaddy Domain Name? (960 Views)

Please How Do I Link My .wordpress Blog With My .com Domain / Can I Get A Godaddy Domain Name With Firstbank Verve Or Mastercard? / How To Link My Site With Online Payment Systems (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Link My Free Blog To A Godaddy Domain Name? by footballbogger: 4:55pm On Oct 26, 2014
I have a blog like abcd. and I'm wondering if it would be possible to move it/link it to a new Godaddy domain name I acquired. I don't want to download a WordPress.org. blog on the new domain. I just want to link the old one to it. Is it possible for me to do it and have a professional looking cpanel like that of a standard WordPress.org site? I need your advice.
Re: How Do I Link My Free Blog To A Godaddy Domain Name? by bedfordng(m): 5:13pm On Oct 26, 2014
you will have to buy the domain from wordpress,guess that is one of their terms.more over, why not use which allows you to link to any domain, even godaddy

1 Like

Re: How Do I Link My Free Blog To A Godaddy Domain Name? by dwebdesign(m): 6:54pm On Oct 26, 2014
You will have to buy hosting for the domain. Export from posts from . to .com. The install template, and the customise.

To get more clarification, contact:

Mobile: 08133884165

Whatsapp: 08133884165

BBM: 2BB63350

1 Like

Re: How Do I Link My Free Blog To A Godaddy Domain Name? by footballbogger: 7:02pm On Oct 26, 2014
Thanks for your reply guys. I'll get in touch.
Re: How Do I Link My Free Blog To A Godaddy Domain Name? by bossminded: 8:05pm On Oct 26, 2014
Step 1: Backup Your WordPress Database Using phpMyAdmin
Before transferring your WordPress blog, it is recommended that you make a backup of your database using phpMyAdmin. Once you have successfully logged into phpMyAdmin:
1. Click on the name of the database which contains your WordPress blog.
2. Click Export in the top navigation menu

3. Select the Quick option listed under the Export Method section.
4. Leave the selection in the format section as SQL.
5. Click Go.

6. Once completed, there will be a prompt to save the file. Simply click on Save as File; this will download a file named wordpress.sql to your desktop.

You have then successfully backed up your database.

Step 2: Download/Upload All WordPress Files Using FTP
You will need to download ALL your files from your old host and upload them to your new host. This includes files from your themes folder and plugins folder. Make sure you also download any folders which were referenced outside of your blog’s folder . For example, if you are using a separate folder called images, located outside of the blog’s folder, the images must be copied and uploaded to the new hosting location; otherwise, the site will contain a lot of broken links to images within the blog post.

Filezillais the recommended FTP client. By default, Filezilla does not display the .htaccess file, for security reasons. To ensure that your .htaccess file is included in the download, you must click on View and then select Show Hidden Files. If you neglect to upload your .htaccess file, your permalinks will not work.

Note: You should not update to a newer version of WordPress at this time as your database may not sync correctly. Complete the WordPress migration before you consider upgrading the version.

Step 3: Create a New WordPress Database and Edit wp-config.php
Create a New Database
To create a new MySQL database:
1. From your control panel, click the MySQL Database icon.
2. Create a new database with a name appropriate for your blog.
3. Create a database username and password.
4. Assign the new user to the new database and grant All Privileges.

Editing the wp-config.php File
After creating a new database, you will need to edit the wp-config.php file, which is the WordPress configuration file. This specific configuration file reads directly from a database of your choosing.

To update the WordPress configuration file:
1. From your control panel, click the Fill Manage ricon.
2. Navigate to the document root for the domain for which you are updating the WordPress.
3. Locate the file named wp-config (its normally in the group of files near the bottom).
4. Click to open the file, and locate the following lines so that they can be updated with the correct information:

/** The name of the database for WordPress */
define(‘DB_NAME’,’cpuser_dbname’);
/** MySQL database username */
define(‘DB_USER’,’cpuser_uname’);
/** MySQL database password */
define(‘DB_PASSWORD’,’******’);
/** MySQL hostname */
define(‘DB_HOST’,’localhost’);

If you did not edit the file on the server via the File Manager with your new database settings, upload it to the root of your blog folder. The configuration file is now set up with the new database; however, it does not contain any database tables. In order to correct this, you will need to import the information into the database.

Step 4: Importing WordPress to the New Database
You can use either phpMyAdmin or BigDump to import your database. BigDump is the preferred option if you have a large database (10mbs or more). There is a step-by-step guide on how to use BigDump on its website.

Once you have logged into phpMyAdmin:
1. Click the name of the Database to which you wish to import the information.
2. Click the Import tab at the top of the page.

3. In the File to Import section, select the SQL based file from your computer that you wish to import.
4. Use Partial Import it you intend to skip a set number of code rows.
5. The Format and Format Specific Options sections can be left to their default values.

6. Click  Goto initiate the import.

You should see a message that lets you know your query was successful, and you should see that your database is now populated with all of WordPress’s content.

Step 5: Update your permalink

Login into the WP admin of the new site and go to Settings > Permalinks and click “Save Changes” so an .htaccess file with permalink structure is created on the new server.

At this point you should be just about finished. If you had permalinks setup on your dev site, and you start clicking around the new, live site, you might initially notice that none of  your pages are showing up when navigating away from the homepage. What the hell? Don’t fear! There’s a simple answer.

Basically, your WordPress database is configured with the correct permalink structure, however the needed .htaccess file that gets created back when you setup your permalink structure on your dev site isn’t there anymore on the new server. So WordPress is trying to navigate to the correct links, however, your server isn’t setup to handle them yet.

The fix is easy. Login in to your WordPress admin panel and navigate to Settings > Permalinks and simply click “Save Changes” so WordPress can create a new .htaccess file on your new server.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Link My Free Blog To A Godaddy Domain Name? by Vstuffs(m): 9:40pm On Oct 26, 2014
The last time I check do not allow users buying from other domain sellers,you must get a domain for (it is expensive).
Well,if you want to use ..because of the hosting plan
>Go to /wp-admin
>Login,go to dashboard
>Go to the tools, when you will see import,export...
>Then export all your wordpress data(it is a back-up)
>GO to google..ask for wordpress to converter
You will see a "about.com"post..enter the post and use the tool to conver your wordpress backup to own format
Then open a blog in ..directly your domain name to your blog.....
After that import the wordpress back-up(the own that is converted to)

For more details
Visit
http://google.about.com/od/googleblogger/a/How-To-Move-Your-Blog-From-Wordpress-To-Blogger.htm

NOTE:THIS METHOD IS IF YOU ARE MIGRATING TO FROM WORDPRESS
Re: How Do I Link My Free Blog To A Godaddy Domain Name? by lexoft(m): 4:05pm On Oct 27, 2014
hmmm
[url="http://lexoft.com.ng"]Lexoft Global Solutions[/url]
Re: How Do I Link My Free Blog To A Godaddy Domain Name? by PristineCircles: 2:35am On Oct 31, 2021
footballbogger:
I have a blog like abcd. and I'm wondering if it would be possible to move it/link it to a new Godaddy domain name I acquired. I don't want to download a WordPress.org. blog on the new domain. I just want to link the old one to it. Is it possible for me to do it and have a professional looking cpanel like that of a standard WordPress.org site? I need your advice.

I Make The Best Ebook Designs - Checkout Samples Of My Works

Reach me on WhatsApp on 08063894916

(1) (Reply)

Need A Website / that's good / Affordable Obi Worldphone SF1, SJ1.5 Android Smartphones Has Been Launched

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.