Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,817 members, 7,813,698 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:36 PM

Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG (29320 Views)

Senate Summons Fashola Over Falling Bridges / Falling Oil Prices Threaten My Agenda — Buhari / Education Jobs Rising Amidst Concerns Over Falling Standards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by cocoduck: 12:24pm On Oct 27, 2014
MissMeiya:

It's called statistics. The field of mathematics has come quite a long way, you know. It's possible to make estimations using certain formulas with an acceptable degree of uncertainty. That's how business forecasts are calculated, despite not knowing actual figures.
estimates that a plucked from the air LOL
It will never be reliable. Sorry.
Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by cocoduck: 12:29pm On Oct 27, 2014
MissMeiya:

It's called statistics. The field of mathematics has come quite a long way, you know. It's possible to make estimations using certain formulas with an acceptable degree of uncertainty. That's how business forecasts are calculated, despite not knowing actual figures.
The basic information one must have is the correct or near correct of the population of the country in question. I too can say that 98% are rich towing your line of argument.
Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by jpphilips(m): 12:32pm On Oct 27, 2014
duni04:

Thank God the article said conspiracy theories. Everybody is so ready to believe there is a hidden plot somewhere while ignoring the fact that Saudi Arabia may simply be trying to guaranty its leadership in the oil market. Me I don't believe in any hidden plot or conspiracy. Its clear and open if you really want to understand.

Yea, you don't expect Saudi to rub it in the face of OPEC, there is a modified armed trade concession for Saudi within this period, transfer of technology of the F35 etc, loads of concessions, IMF has said that Saudi will no longer be safe if it falls below $81 that will give Nigeria a breathing space, Iran and Saudi are giving discounts to Asian customers, things are really at the edge.
Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by Nobody: 12:33pm On Oct 27, 2014
cocoduck:

The basic information one must have is the correct or near correct of the population of the country in question. I too can say that 98% are rich towing your line of argument.

So you don't know what statistics, mathematics, and forecasting are.

P.S. "Toeing* your line"
Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by jpphilips(m): 12:35pm On Oct 27, 2014
hercules07:

It is not a conspiracy, that is the actual fact, I do not think the Saudis are doing it willingly, the US is behind it and the intention is to cripple Russia's economy and probably cause Social unrest in Russia.

I agree completely
Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by Nobody: 12:35pm On Oct 27, 2014
kevinaduga:
I don't really care about statistics. But i think it is interesting to know that, on the average, Nigeria generate 900 Billion Naira in revenue every month, from both oil and non oil sources.
It is also note worthy that 70% of Nigerians live below the poverty line, which is close to 2 dollars per day.
My question is if Nigeria generates such huge income every month, then how come the majority of the population is wallowing in poverty?? Really mind boggling! What is the money used for? I don't think it is for the development of this country either. Cos no electricity in my house for the past three days, the generator has been constantly up and running. The road to my house was constructed through the combined efforts of the residents of my street. Public schools are nothing to write home about. Our hospitals are ill equipped. Insecurity is the norm, not the exception..No social security e.t.c. In fact, nothing works in Nigeria.
Seems the 900 billion naira is utilized in funding the lavish lifestyles of our corrupt politicians, clergymen and unscrupulous businessmen.
It is high time we demand that the 900 billion naira be used for what it is actually meant to be used for.
#return our 900 billion naira

70% of Nigerians live under 2 dollars a day ? Guy, are you educated at all ? Have you ever traveled abroad to see how life is ? Nigerians spend money than most countries in the world, and 2 dollars is actually nothing to most Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by honeric01(m): 12:35pm On Oct 27, 2014
signz:

Why

So we can start using our brain, effort, might and personnel properly to cater for ourselves like every other serious nations out there.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by davide470(m): 12:41pm On Oct 27, 2014
destante:
We just continue to go round a vicious circle in this country. Much talk, less action. Let them make do with focussing more on the real sector first, we can then take it from there.
angry angry
Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by Lesgupnigeria(m): 12:44pm On Oct 27, 2014
Agriculture is the key to sustainable ecomomic growth.
Naija don dey fill the heat?.
GEJ you need more diversification in.agriculture.

Check my articles to know more about the
economy; how and why the future of the
country is agriculture and how to make
money and tap from its wealth.
Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by Nobody: 1:05pm On Oct 27, 2014
omenka:
Are they just realising?? Oil prices are predicted to hit $70pb soon yet there seems to be no let up in Jonathan's looting spree.

Do you have evidence of Jonathan looting Nigeria's money? If yes I would like to see
Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by bejeria101(m): 1:24pm On Oct 27, 2014
When they told you to revamp other sectors,u sat there putting your hope in oil, go ahead and drink it

1 Like

Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by kaybosedemi(m): 1:37pm On Oct 27, 2014
Suarezilla:
What has the average Nigerian benefittedd from oil in Nigeria to be @risk? He should say dem' politicians whom own several oil wells are @risk.....Am sure this is story for the cows as long as the youths are concerned
You have said it all. As if Nigerians are even benefitting anything from the oil. And they keep ditching out false figures ...Today we will hear that the economy is growing by certain % and tomorrow they will tell us another thing...Unemployment keep increasing and they will tell the world that they provided more than 1 million jobs within a year...Who are they deceiving .God punish them.As if I care.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by nairaman66(m): 2:07pm On Oct 27, 2014
jpphilips:

When oil falls to a budget deficit, they will increase taxes, that is what Mackenzie will recommend, but the looting continues.

You are obviously right there.. However, there will be a shift in the system and everyone will feel it in the sense if being aggressive etc!
Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by kevinaduga(m): 2:25pm On Oct 27, 2014
Billyonaire:

70% of Nigerians live under 2 dollars a day ? Guy, are you educated at all ? Have you ever traveled abroad to see how life is ? Nigerians spend money than most countries in the world, and 2 dollars is actually nothing to most Nigerians.
you are the one sounding uneducated. Nigeria has a population of 170 million. That you know a few who are living in affluence, doesn't mean everybody is. You have travelled abroad and seen how life is, have u been to the villages, especially in the north, and even on the street of our cities, to see the reality of most Nigerians. Stop allowing sentiments cloud ur vision and actually look at the reality on ground. Majority of Nigerians live below the poverty line, and no matter how hard u choose to wish it away, it's still the bitter truth.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by Nobody: 2:27pm On Oct 27, 2014
Ladies and gentlemen of nairaland...you see why we have to stop relying on oil?

For a long time on this thread....I have said it, and I will say it again....oil rich countries are not economic superpowers....unless they have small populations and/or strong industrial bases.

Since the 70'S, Nigeria has been over dependent on oil. It was the dependency on oil that killed off our industrial sector in the 80's....when we became so dependent on raw materials imported with oil money.

Once again, it is the year 1982. The Oil Price shock is at hand. Once prices drop to $70 per barrel....we would be in deep trobule.

Nigerians....[size=18pt]OIL IS A CURSE.[/size] Time to end this dutch diseased economy that is Nigeria's.

P.S...Every Nigerian must read this article

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by Nobody: 2:37pm On Oct 27, 2014
Here is what Nigeria needs to do now.

1.We need to end the fuel subsidy...and withdraw 30% of all non-oil producing states money....as well as 15% of oil producing state's money....and use the money for a five year plan to improve electricity, rail transport and six selected universities.....as well as invest in public transport and technical schools.

2.We need to encourage each and every state to come up with plans that would enable them to be able to live without 50% of the allocation from Abuja in the next five years.(With the improvement in power and rail envisaged in point one...we should get there).

3.Corruption must be punished. No excuses.

4.A tax rate of N400,000 per every N1million for people earning N1million and above per month...plus penalties for those with foreign accounts. We must do as the US does and force European countries to give up details of Nigerians with accounts above.

5.Within 10 years, we would no longer be dependent on oil.

God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by Feraz(m): 2:38pm On Oct 27, 2014
bushdoc9919:
Ladies and gentlemen of nairaland...you see why we have to stop relying on oil?
For a long time on this thread....I have said it, and I will say it again....oil rich countries are not economic superpowers....unless they have small populations and/or strong industrial bases.
Since the 70'S, Nigeria has been over dependent on oil. It was the dependency on oil that killed off our industrial sector in the 80's....when we became so dependent on raw materials imported with oil money.
Once again, it is the year 1982. The Oil Price shock is at hand. Once prices drop to $70 per barrel....we would be in deep trobule.
Nigerians....[size=18pt]OIL IS A CURSE.[/size] Time to end this dutch diseased economy that is Nigeria's.
P.S...Every Nigerian must read this article
I knew I'd find you here. . . . Lol. . .

I think it's time Nigerians reason together and force the government to stop its dependency on oil. It's time to face other sectors of the economy that will generate wealth and high standard of living for Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by Nobody: 2:40pm On Oct 27, 2014
Feraz:
I knew I'd find you here. . . . Lol. . .

I think it's time Nigerians reason together and force the government to stop its dependency on oil. It's time to face other sectors of the economy that will generate wealth and high standard of living for Nigerians.

Of course....am even annoyed I am just seeing this thread right now. !grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by Nobody: 2:46pm On Oct 27, 2014
Thick skulls without brains. Why won't Nigeria be at risk?
Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by Nobody: 2:59pm On Oct 27, 2014
[size=22pt]BREAKING NEWS:

Latest Oil Price: $79.97 per Barrel

https://www.nairaland.com/1943294/latest-oil-price-79.97-crisis#27041210

[/size]
Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by Nobody: 3:03pm On Oct 27, 2014
Prepare to fuel price hike:

expect N200 per litre

Take a deep breath of FRESH AIR angry
Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 27, 2014
You think we have got 10 years?
bushdoc9919:
Here is what Nigeria needs to do now.

1.We need to end the fuel subsidy...and withdraw 30% of all non-oil producing states money....as well as 15% of oil producing state's money....and use the money for a five year plan to improve electricity, rail transport and six selected universities.....as well as invest in public transport and technical schools.

2.We need to encourage each and every state to come up with plans that would enable them to be able to live without 50% of the allocation from Abuja in the next five years.(With the improvement in power and rail envisaged in point one...we should get there).

3.Corruption must be punished. No excuses.

4.A tax rate of N400,000 per every N1million for people earning N1million and above per month...plus penalties for those with foreign accounts. We must do as the US does and force European countries to give up details of Nigerians with accounts above.

5.Within 10 years, we would no longer be dependent on oil.

God bless Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by Nobody: 3:17pm On Oct 27, 2014
At the current oil price the cost of government would probably account for our entire budget.

Madam Finance never mentioned reigning in the huge salaries of Lawmakers undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by ba7man(m): 3:20pm On Oct 27, 2014
Does Nigeria even look like an oil producing country in the first place??

The bulk of the oil money is looted so its the FG cronies that'll have less money to buy private jets.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by Nobody: 3:23pm On Oct 27, 2014
kevinaduga:
you are the one sounding uneducated. Nigeria has a population of 170 million. That you know a few who are living in affluence, doesn't mean everybody is. You have travelled abroad and seen how life is, have u been to the villages, especially in the north, and even on the street of our cities, to see the reality of most Nigerians. Stop allowing sentiments cloud ur vision and actually look at the reality on ground. Majority of Nigerians live below the poverty line, and no matter how hard u choose to wish it away, it's still the bitter truth.

I didn't even bother to respond to that fool.
Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by cocoduck: 3:46pm On Oct 27, 2014
kevinaduga:
in most African countries, only lazy people, alcoholics and womanisers are poor. That is people who are lazy and rely on others for anything, hard working man who knows the value of money saves may not have hummer Jeep but he doesn't beg for food or clothes he at least has the basic life needs which are food clothing and shelter and his kids go to school even if it is not an American or British or a private school. poverty is a state of mind.
the alcoholic spends most of his money on beers And spirits, the womaniser spends all his money on women thereby rendering themselves poor. I am not rich but I am not poor.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by cocoduck: 3:49pm On Oct 27, 2014
MissMeiya:

I didn't even bother to respond to that fool.
he is not a fool, if you have a skill people are willing to pay for, you may not have a Bugatti but you will never go hungry or nak3d
Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by zigger(m): 4:09pm On Oct 27, 2014
datguru:

You don't seem to understand, they seem to concentrate more on oil, if the attention that is given to the oil sector is also given to other sectors my brother you and I will think of travelling to any other country because things will change
I understand pal, I was jst kidding
Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by Horus(m): 4:21pm On Oct 27, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6RmhGJ9DN4

[size=15pt]Nigeria - Falling Oil Price May Affect 2015 Budget[/size]
Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by Nobody: 4:22pm On Oct 27, 2014
Billyonaire:

somebody will just sit in Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt and Enugu and will be saying $2 a day is not realistic.
NIGGA PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have lived in Northern Nigeria. Yobe to be precise and i have toured Northern Nigeria very very well so dont tell me that theres no poverty in this country.

Even in the south. apart from lagos and a few big cities. people are really going through hardship.

point is, we need to diversify this junk we currently call an economy because we're walking on eggs as it is
NUFF SAID

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria At Risk Over Falling Oil Price : FG by Gloria3389(f): 4:38pm On Oct 27, 2014
JUBILEE2000:

shale oil discovery is not the reason for oil price fall....its far more expensive to produce shale oil than crude..fluctuation in oil price is normal in the oil market
oh yeah...I agree with normal fluctuation....but are u aware that some countries no longer import our oil due to discovery of shale oil ?....even if that is not the cause of fall in price of oil now...it will definitely affect us sooner or later

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

A Reply To Reno Omokri By Lauretta Onochie On Hillary Clinton's Election Funding / Phil Hazlewood: Trump Wouldn't Have Called Buhari 'Lifeless' If... / Live: Pictures Of APC Presidential Rally In Jigawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.