Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,815 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:53 PM

Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport - Travel (361) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport (1446099 Views)

The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name / Chinese Man Speaking Pidgin On Plane To A Nigeria Woman During A Fight / 44 Countries You Can Travel To With A Nigeria International Passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) ... (830) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by kingkinglee: 7:38pm On Oct 21, 2021
Go with the photocopies of the guarantors document. But you need to go with the passport photograph.

For me I had the guarantors credentials on my phone, I had to print it there.

MzWendy:
Good evening all. I’ll be capturing tomorrow and the immigration officer that attended to me said I should get the original copies of the documents I submitted but I forgot to ask him if my guarantors original documents are inclusive. For those that have captured before, am I to go there with my guarantors original documents. HELP ME PLEASE!!!
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by hoppa(m): 9:04pm On Oct 21, 2021
Reasons for passport delay in Nigeria.

Two years after the federal government announced plans to domesticate the production of international passports, the plans have failed to see the light of day as policy flip-flop continues to stall the process.

The Federal Government of Nigeria had in 2019 through the Nigerian Security Printing and Minting Company — responsible for printing Nigeria’s currency and other important security documents signed MoU with IRIS Smart Technologies Limited to domesticate the production of international passports (e-passports).

The then minister of Interior, Abdulrahman Dambazau was said to have set up a committee of critical stakeholders that would ensure that the project is implemented.

The passport domestication, according to the minister, will ensure the “availability of passport booklets and there will be no more complaints of shortage or delivery beyond 48 hours after application.”

However, two years after, the failed project has caused Nigerians several opportunities as scarcity of passport booklets persists across Nigeria because the government owes its technical partners abroad huge debts running into millions of dollars.

Several Nigerians have missed out on opportunities such as scholarships, study, medicals, child delivery, business engagements, and investment opportunities, amongst others while waiting to obtain their passports.

Read Also: Nigerians applying for passport stranded as booklets shortage persists

BusinessDay’s checks show that the passport booklets are presently being produced‎ by Iris Smart Technology Nigeria (ISTL) through its parent company, Iris Corporation, based in Malaysia, but it has refused to supply the product due to the alleged huge debts.

Passports are made by passport-printing companies that ensure that they follow the standards set out by the International Civil Aviation Organisation’s document 9303 ‘Machine Readable Trave Documents’ (MRTD). Doc 9303 sets the standard for how passports should be made and what kinds of security features they should include in order to avoid an attack.

Passports are made with special paper bound together using secure technology. Due to the intricacies of the design and the high priority on security, makers of passports are often companies with well-advanced technology infrastructure and they can be in any country. It is also possible for the various components of a passport to be sourced from different companies or countries.

For example, A company in the Netherlands is responsible for the biometrics and security details inserted into Nigerian passports, while South Africa provides the ink used for the printings done in the passports.

A source at Nigeria Immigration Services who craved anonymity told BusinessDay that Nigeria has failed to print its own passport booklets as a result of policy flip-flop.

It would be recalled that in 2018 the Nigerian government, through the comptroller-general of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) had announced plans for the domestication of the production of the Nigerian e-passport. The local production was supposed to be championed by the Nigerian Security Printing and Minting Company Ltd. The first batch of the locally-made e-passports were expected to be released before the end of 2018. The plan did not materialise by the end of that year.

“They came out with the deceit that the current passport is being produced in Nigeria only to discover that with this current scarcity, it is still a lie. The cabal is still holding it firmly to print passports outside Nigeria,” the source said.

He alleged that some persons are benefiting from the production of passports outside Nigeria, so the interest of the masses is secondary compared to their own interest.

“Immigration is the organisation with the best ICT-driven services amongst other government agencies in Nigeria. So, there is nothing stopping Nigeria from producing its own passports. Little of the amount realised goes to federal coffers. We are just enriching the so-called partners,” the source said.

However, the printing of passports is now a more complex design that combines various layers of printing features laminated together, while the stitching also is upgraded to make it near impossible to emulate.

Hence, it is not uncommon for countries to outsource printing their passports to well-established organizations with very sophisticated technologies located anywhere around the world. China, for instance, outsources its passport printing to a German government unit known as Bundesdruckere. Gemalto, a Thales Group company based in France prints passports for countries like Sweden, Turkey, and the UK.

Apart from Nigeria, Iris Technologies also prints passports for Senegal and Solomon Islands.

BusinessDay checks show that Irish Technologies had requested that the ministry should be given an easy window to access forex directly from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), which the Ministry was unable to facilitate, but rather was told to access forex through the parallel market, which the company said would be very expensive for it.

Troubled with huge debt profile difficulty to obtain foreign exchange, Irish Technologies was thrown into a dilemma. It was this bottleneck that led to the current scarcity, which inside sources projected would last long; unless there was an urgent intervention.

But experts insist that given that Nigeria abides by the provisions of the ICAO, it might as well be able to produce its passports given its abundant natural resources.

According to provision ICAO document 9303, the State issuing the MRTD also known as passports shall ensure that the premises in which the MRTD is printed, bound, personalized, and issued are appropriately secure and that staff employed therein have an appropriate security clearance.

Appropriate security shall also be provided for MRTDs in transit between facilities and from the facility to the MRTD’s holder.

ICAO also states that “States should control access to production and issuance facilities. Control should be zoned and the requirements for access to each zone should be commensurate with the value of the assets being protected.”

Tayo Ojuri, managing partner, Aglow Aviation Support Services Ltd told BusinessDay that plans are still on by NIS to domesticate production.

Ojuri said if the production of passports is localised, it will hasten production, create job opportunities, strengthen the nation’s sovereignty and save costs for the country.

Culled From https://businessday.ng/news/article/nigeria-fails-to-print-own-passports-two-years-after-signing-agreement/
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by rawe45: 2:31am On Oct 22, 2021
Picked up my passport yesterday in Abuja.

Captured August 5.
Correction of Data
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by MzWendy: 5:43am On Oct 22, 2021
Go with the photocopies of the guarantors document. But you need to go with the passport photograph.

For me I had the guarantors credentials on my phone, I had to print it there.

[I have submitted photocopies of my guarantors documents before now including his passport. The guy said I should get original documents of what I submitted and I’m wondering if originals of my guarantor is included. Like his intl’l passport, nat. id card, and all.]
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by oriste(f): 5:45am On Oct 22, 2021
Hello house please I have an issue you my family and I registered online like 10 months ago and we were not in town but now application is saying expired what do we do thou still saying payment is yet to expire
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by Oluwapomile1: 9:30am On Oct 22, 2021
MzWendy:
Good evening all. I’ll be capturing tomorrow and the immigration officer that attended to me said I should get the original copies of the documents I submitted but I forgot to ask him if my guarantors original documents are inclusive. For those that have captured before, am I to go there with my guarantors original documents. HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Good morning.

Please when did you submit your documents? I guess you are on DIY
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by Oluwapomile1: 9:32am On Oct 22, 2021
Good morning all.

I thought capturing is 48hours after submission of documents? Those that DIY kindly confirm before I start sending message to their Facebook. Thanks.

Also what does application status Approved mean? That I am ready to capture? In case they forgot to send me message ni
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by adaleng(f): 12:12pm On Oct 22, 2021
Is it DIY?

madamori9:
Capturing: July 16
Passport Office: Warri
Collection date: October 18 (today)

Well, it took me 3 months to get this booklet. I was called to pickup the passport last Monday, but I couldn’t make it. As at today, only those that captured in July are expected to come for collection in Warri office.

Good luck to you guys.
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by Odunharry(m): 12:15pm On Oct 22, 2021
rawe45:
Picked up my passport yesterday in Abuja.

Captured August 5.
Correction of Data
Nice..
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by Odunharry(m): 12:18pm On Oct 22, 2021
oriste:
Hello house please I have an issue you my family and I registered online like 10 months ago and we were not in town but now application is saying expired what do we do thou still saying payment is yet to expire
Contact NIS via their site or Facebook for more clarification.
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by Olasilas95: 11:15am On Oct 23, 2021
Did anyone received from Akure office recently
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by Olasilas95: 11:40am On Oct 23, 2021
Pages
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by omoharry(f): 1:13pm On Oct 23, 2021
Akorkor:
Update: Just came back from NIS Ikoyi and the passport officers said It should be ready for collection next week hopefully.

The wrote AA on my slip as passport status. Honestly, Nigerians are not making the system work. Even the officials want bribes. They are not expecting anyone to do it themselves. All the officers were surprised that I did it myself without using any officers.

Na wa for every single human being in this Nation call Nigeria
what's the process of doing it yourself ? What does it entail ?
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by kingkinglee: 1:37pm On Oct 23, 2021
Did anyone collect passport from Asab office recently?
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by omoharry(f): 1:53pm On Oct 23, 2021
Confide22:
So I'm back to thank the brains behind this DIY method for all the heads up and the assistance throughout my application process.

So I applied and paid for my passport online (26k) on the 1st of Feb and went to the NIS office on the 3rd cos I had to fill and stamp the guarantor's form before going there (spent a total of 1k, 5h to print the forms and buy file and all, and 5h for court stamp). I submitted my form on the 3rd, and my interview/capturing date was on the 10th (You guys remember that I came back to rant here that I couldn't capture on that day after spending the whole day there simply cos my guarantor's form has only one passport photograph).

So I went back on the 11th with the extra passport, and when it was almost my turn to capture, they complained about poor network. Since I had other things to do, I left the office and came bk on the 12th. Finally captured on the 12th, and was given a collection on the 18th. These guys suddenly started being nice after my capturing ooo. I ended up making a lot of friends that day and on my collection day... grin Went back on the 18th and was issued my passport within 5mins.

So I ended up spending approximately 27k, (as against 55k an agent told me, and gave me 14 days before collection) and less than two weeks (if you minus the two days delay they caused me) to get my passport.

My advice? They'll definitely try to ridicule you cos you applied online and won't fetch them money, but don't mind them. Stand your grounds and face whoever needs to be faced, they attend to you Las Las cos they value their jobs.!

PS: I applied for fresh issue(32 pages, 5yrs) and in Portharcourt.

I'm happy I found this thread.! cheesy
I want to renew my passport but I don't understand this guarantor form becos I did not use it in my previous passport. Does that mean I will download this form online and give a friend or a family member to fill and sign for me ?
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by Jsaviour(f): 3:00pm On Oct 23, 2021
omoharry:
I want to renew my passport but I don't understand this guarantor form becos I did not use it in my previous passport. Does that mean I will download this form online and give a friend or a family member to fill and sign for me ?
You don't need guarantors form if it's renewal.
Just get the documents, apply online and go submit at their office. Then keep going back like 1week interval until you are done with capturing etc
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by omoharry(f): 4:19pm On Oct 23, 2021
Jsaviour:

You don't need guarantors form if it's renewal.
Just get the documents, apply online and go submit at their office. Then keep going back like 1week interval until you are done with capturing etc
Thank you very much .
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by Rrchrd(m): 6:27pm On Oct 23, 2021
ndidibabe:
You reference must have a passport. Affidavit will fix the birth cert vs NIM issue.
you mean guarrantors must have international passport
Please Can't I used their Nin or work ID card
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by Olasilas95: 10:04pm On Oct 23, 2021
i tried checking my application status online ..its saying application expired ...what does this means pls?
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by Akorkor(f): 4:53pm On Oct 24, 2021
omoharry:
what's the process of doing it yourself ? What does it entail ?
Just login and fill your details online. Then pay using your card or go through bank and make payment.
Then submit and print out your confirmation slip.
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by omoharry(f): 5:20pm On Oct 24, 2021
Akorkor:

Just login and fill your details online. Then pay using your card or go through bank and make payment.
Then submit and print out your confirmation slip.
Thank you .
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by Specyano(m): 5:33pm On Oct 24, 2021
OriginalProphet:
This thing is tiring captured since June 30, passport not yet available, what's happening @ Abeokuta

How's DIY like at abeokuta and also how many pages do u apply for this such delay
Thanks
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by NYCnextStop(m): 7:48pm On Oct 24, 2021
What's the difference between the application form and the acknowledgement form?
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by Ekenem123: 8:05pm On Oct 24, 2021
kingkinglee:
Good afternoon house,

Please is there anyone who captured in September at Asaba office that has collected his/her passport?

I need assistance.

I have not collected, I captured on 31th of August oh..I called and was told they ended on July 12th.abd not booklet now

1 Like

Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by BoluwajiPieters: 8:35pm On Oct 24, 2021
Two months since I've had my capturing at the Ilorin office and nothing up until now. I've messaged Nigerian Immigration on Facebook and they requested for my enrollment number which I've provided and they've been mum ever since.

Naija!
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by OriginalProphet: 8:39pm On Oct 24, 2021
Specyano:

How's DIY like at abeokuta and also how many pages do u apply for this such delay
Thanks
DIY not that friendly, I applied for 32pages
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by Semaj77(m): 9:35pm On Oct 24, 2021
Oyindamola95:
Hello please help me is very urgent, my daughter Nin has refuse to drop is been 3weeks now and the agent helping me out with the passport ask me to oh her 3k for Nin dropping and still nothing yet. Please help my life am frustrated already my daughter have not been able to do her capturing because of this issue

Having issues with NIN as well , my expired passport has 4 names on it , my surname , first name , middle name and Christian name but while registering for my NIN I used only my surname , first name and middle name. Now the immigration agent says my last name ( Christian name ) should be on it since it was what I used in my initial passport. I had to go back to where I did my NIN and paid the motherfucker 10k there to add my last name and she still couldn't do it. Eventually I went back to the immigration agent and he took me to another guy whom I paid 7k and the NIN hasn't dropped yet for almost 3 weeks now. I've paid 17k just to add my Christian name to my NIN and still no progress. Worst thing is my work place is demanding I forward my passport for a trip to Dubai in December before this month runs out ( I have just a week to do my passport )
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by Semaj77(m): 9:39pm On Oct 24, 2021
Although the agent has assured me I'll do express and pay an extra fee to get it in 3 days only if my NIN drops. Anyways I'll collect back everything I've paid ( over 80k ) from everybody who has collected money from me because I made it clear before paying to anyone that I'll need the passport by month end and that if they can not do it they should tell me. Every one of them assured me it would be done
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by Specyano(m): 10:38pm On Oct 24, 2021
Can someone walk me through DIY Alausa, heard 32pages is hard to get now so I'm thinking of opting for 64pages if the stress is nt that much
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by mialate: 8:14am On Oct 25, 2021
Soon they will be tired marketing their 64 pages then the 32pages will suddenly appear.
LOL.
Re: Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport by mialate: 8:18am On Oct 25, 2021
Explain to your office whats going on. If they are in Nigeria, they should grant you some grace.

Semaj77:

Having issues with NIN as well , my expired passport has 4 names on it , my surname , first name , middle name and Christian name but while registering for my NIN I used only my surname , first name and middle name. Now the immigration agent says my last name ( Christian name ) should be on it since it was what I used in my initial passport. I had to go back to where I did my NIN and paid the motherfucker 10k there to add my last name and she still couldn't do it. Eventually I went back to the immigration agent and he took me to another guy whom I paid 7k and the NIN hasn't dropped yet for almost 3 weeks now. I've paid 17k just to add my Christian name to my NIN and still no progress. Worst thing is my work place is demanding I forward my passport for a trip to Dubai in December before this month runs out ( I have just a week to do my passport )

(1) (2) (3) ... (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) ... (830) (Reply)

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 3

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.