Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,794 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:50 PM

Do Brilliant Students Get Low Marks Due To Lack Of Question Answering Ability? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do Brilliant Students Get Low Marks Due To Lack Of Question Answering Ability? (833 Views)

LASU Students Get Excess Fee Refund / Two UNILORIN Students Get Merrill Lynch Appointments! / Brilliant Students And Examination Malpractices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Brilliant Students Get Low Marks Due To Lack Of Question Answering Ability? by tosyne2much(m): 12:07pm On Oct 28, 2014
I have been pondering over this and I finally decided to bring it up here

To the glory of God, I happen to be one of the few best rockers in my department but that's not enough because I still fall beneath some ppl. There are two students in my department who are on top of the game, one thing that keeps me wondering is that they are not fluent in English, can't spell accurately or
communicate effectively in English, how do I know? I have gone through their notes couple of times( wrong constructive sentences, poor spellings, wrong use of punctuations and so on). Shockingly, their score would even outweigh yours in GNS (English) shocked..Don't get this twisted because I'm not necessarily trying to say it takes strictly correct spellings and grammars to excel amongst your peers

These two students make little or no oral contribution in the class because they are not so good in grammar yet they are on top of the game..

All I know is that you might be actually better than some students, but if you both prepare and read tirelessly for an exam, they would still end up having a better score.. I have been wondering what could be their secrets and I have come into conclusion that they must have found the secrets of answering questions

So the question is, do we lack question answering ability that has made us fall beneath these two students ?

Secondly, how do one approach and provide answers to questions that makes one hit high score ?

Do you have to beat around the bush when answering a question ?

Lastly, must your booklet be full in order to hit high score ?

** Pls don't just view if you know you have been doing well and how you answer your question(s) **

Please share your views and let us all learn
Re: Do Brilliant Students Get Low Marks Due To Lack Of Question Answering Ability? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Oct 28, 2014
Some brilliant people are introverts,shy and have stage fright
they would rather converse and analyse in their head or put their thoughts into writing than speak.

Reading and following laid down instructions,

keeping answers simple and straight

avoiding extrenous sentences,tautologies,grammatical blunders

and using clear,simple words that the examiner would understand

earns you your mark.
Re: Do Brilliant Students Get Low Marks Due To Lack Of Question Answering Ability? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Oct 28, 2014
OP you may be right. I have had such happen to me not just once, but countless times. I'm currently working on myself though. It's really depressing as sometimes you lose great opportunities for being introverted.
sad
I have more conversations in my head than I do in real life.
sad

Errrrr, I don't have a problem with grammar oh, sometimes talking could be really stressful. angry
Re: Do Brilliant Students Get Low Marks Due To Lack Of Question Answering Ability? by KAYCEEJUNIOR(m): 2:20pm On Oct 28, 2014
same thing that is holding me back from getting a well paid job.....interview fright with a shy looks, that's why a very young lady looks at me and said that I worth 40k as salary..... I don't blame her, I wish she makes enquiries of how I strategically managed all tasks I was been given to, from school till now. still looking for that understanding employer that will see my abilities and capabilities

1 Like

Re: Do Brilliant Students Get Low Marks Due To Lack Of Question Answering Ability? by nickz(m): 4:52pm On Oct 28, 2014
my best friend studies MATHEMATICS he can't string two sentences together but taking off the decimal on his GP,EQUATES his shoe size........

i think its that urge to impress and impress beyond boundaries......sorry this doesn't work in nigeria
where some students are better in english than proffs
Re: Do Brilliant Students Get Low Marks Due To Lack Of Question Answering Ability? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Oct 28, 2014
Op thanks for this thread,I'm noticing this and even a victim of this phenomenon but at the end of the day I just end up concluding I'm way pass the lecturer's mental comprehension ability because while marking student scripts no lecturer would ever take time to look up the dictionary or any reference book to actually know the meaning of what you encrypted in written pages and this has made we bright once stuck and victimized academically.
Re: Do Brilliant Students Get Low Marks Due To Lack Of Question Answering Ability? by Rapsainot(m): 6:11pm On Oct 28, 2014
Beating around the Bush big grammars in exam doesn't guarantees success... Self expression and good points is the key.

1 Like

Re: Do Brilliant Students Get Low Marks Due To Lack Of Question Answering Ability? by tosyne2much(m): 6:20pm On Oct 28, 2014
aaronson:
Op thanks for this thread,I'm noticing this and even a victim of this phenomenon but at the end of the day I just end up concluding I'm way pass the lecturer's mental comprehension ability because while marking student scripts no lecturer would ever take time to look up the dictionary or any reference book to actually know the meaning of what you encrypted in written pages and this has made we bright once stuck and victimized academically.
it got me wondering how people who are not good in expressing themselves end up having up mouth opening grades

(1) (Reply)

2015 JAMB Admission Policy / Tale By Fresh Graduate From Unimaid Defence Academy Lol..(maiduguri) / The Role Of Ratio Analysis In Business Decisions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.