Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,844 members, 7,817,493 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:08 PM

12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future (22038 Views)

100 Young And Successful African Entrepreneurs Who Amaze And Inspire Me (photos) / 30 Most Promising Young Entrepreneurs In Africa 2014 / Best Young Entrepreneurs Under 25 (3 Nigerian Girls On List)! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by naijatechworld: 5:25pm On Oct 28, 2014
Not long ago I came across a picture on Facebook; it was the first item on my timeline. In the picture were three individuals: my Facebook friend, a successful and commendable African entrepreneur, and another individual. Alongside the picture was a caption, which celebrated "the individual," a beneficiary of a brutal military regime. The caption on the picture made me cringe. Immediately, I went through a flashback of Nigeria's history - the picture made me think about Nigeria's future.

Then I began to ask myself a series of questions. Why should we as Nigerians celebrate wealthy beneficiaries of brutal military regimes? Why should we as young people accept their ill-gotten wealth as part of Nigeria's success story? Any good student of Nigerian history can make a clear connection between an individual's sudden access to the nation's resources through illegal means, corruption, or military regimes and actual business growth. In this instance, oil fields belonging to an entire nation were conveniently allocated to one individual. Rosemary Ajayi, technical assistant to the current Governor of Ekiti State in Nigeria said, "corruption saps the will of everyone but of those benefitting from it." I say, corruption in Nigeria should be considered a form of terrorism.

It is no secret that Nigeria is full of natural resources, however, the lack of transparency and respect for the rule of law has allowed for the misappropriations of these resources. Victor Asemota, owner and principal consultant of Swifta Systems wrote on his twitter page, "A friend said she was at the World Economic Forum (WEF) and was wondering how most people we celebrate in Nigeria became so wealthy? No one has straight stories." He continues, "there are very few noble wealthy people in Nigeria, many of them are mostly government assisted tyrants." As future policymakers, entrepreneurs, innovators, and more importantly, as young Nigerians, we cannot and should not continue to celebrate those who have conveniently benefitted from corruption, or military regimes. Let us learn to ask questions, hold each other accountable, and reclaim respectable moral and ethical standards.

Despite the growing concern for Nigeria's future due to terrorism or the lack of conscientious leaders, I am optimistic. I am optimistic because a growing number of young Nigerian entrepreneurs are creating innovative businesses, and more importantly are not waiting for government connections to create this change. These young innovators are being proactive about change and their enormous success is not a byproduct of nepotism or deeply entrenched corruption.

The collaborative power of technology and new media has given a voice to a new kind of entrepreneur. It has given a voice to innovative young Nigerians emerging throughout the continent and these are who I want more young Nigerians to celebrate as success stories. As the largest economy within the African continent, we have to celebrate hard work and innovation, as well as implement policies that accelerate business growth and strengthen the private sector to create more jobs.

Here are the 12 Young Entrepreneurs who make me optimistic about Nigeria's future. These young entrepreneurs are out in the field establishing businesses and providing solutions within their various communities.

(1) Jason Njoku is co-founder of iROKOtv, the largest online distributor of Nollywood films.

(2) Tola Onigbanjo is co-founder of Women4Africa, a UK-based organization celebrating, recognizing, and honoring African women who have made great impact in their communities.

(3) Mark Essien is founder of Hotels.ng, Nigeria's leading hotel booking portal.

(4) Bilikiss Adebiyi-Abiola is co-founder of WeCyclers, a company giving low-income communities in developing countries a chance to capture value from waste and clean up their neighborhoods through an incentive-based recycling program.

(5) Gbenga Sesan is founder of the Paradigm Initiative (PIN), an organization using ICT to empower young people in underserved communities through entrepreneurial training programs.

(6) Linda Ikeji is founder of the Linda Ikeji blog, Nigeria's most visited blog. Over the years, Ikeji's blog has become an advertising platform for artists, entrepreneurs, and top Nigerian companies. Although considered a controversial blogger, Linda uses her sense of humor to attract her readers. Ikeji has adopted an effective sales strategy and leveraged on partnerships with various companies.

(7) Zanau Hassan Maikasuwa is a seasoned farmer and founder of Farmfields Agro-Allied Services, which supports local farmers and agricultural investors dealing with all aspects of farming - animals and crops. Zanau also helped to launch the AWP Network Agropreneur project for Women Farmers.

(cool Misan Rewane is founder of West Africa Vocational Education (WAVE), an organization tackling youth unemployment by identifying, training, and placing talented West African youths in wage-earning jobs in the hospitality sector.

(9) Debo Folorunsho is co-founder of Applause Africa, a media publishing company celebrating, empowering, and connecting Africans in the United States through online programs and in-person events.

(10) Ola Orekunrin is founder of Flying Doctors Nigeria, West Africa's first indigenous air ambulance service and a crucial link for critically injured people.

(11) Sim Shagaya is founder of Konga Online, Nigeria's leading e-commerce company. The Konga marketplace aggregates sellers and retail stores on the same platform, giving customers more variety to choose from.

(12) Achenyo Idachaba is founder of MitiMeth, a company producing hand-woven crafts from invasive aquatic weeds prevalent in Nigeria's waterways. MitiMeth engages local artisans to create eco-friendly hand- woven home décor and personal accessories from invasive aquatic weeds and non-timber forest resources.

Nigeria's future may appear bleak with the lack of effective governance, or the growing number of kidnappings and bombings. Despite these circumstances, Nigeria's young innovative entrepreneurs make me hopeful.

Original Article - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mary-olushoga/12-young-entrepreneurs-wh_b_5600368.html

19 Likes

Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by chukxie(m): 5:33pm On Oct 28, 2014
And where's our very own Seun? The owner of Nairaland --One of Africa's largest online social platforms! That list isn't complete.

93 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by realugee: 5:49am On Oct 29, 2014
Did you say young entrepreneurs, and there are people above 30 on that list? Can someone please define young for me. I guess I'm the one getting something wrong here...

5 Likes

Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by nexstorm(m): 3:45pm On Oct 29, 2014
Me too I no understand the word young too..please what wud you say about zukerberg at is age..may be teenage entrepreneur

2 Likes

Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by internetpo(m): 2:21am On Oct 30, 2014
Gbenga Sesan and Jason Njoku I have met. cheesy Indeed bright future we have. cant wait to meet some of these other people. I like Bilikis of Wecyclers) idea. Will be competing with her in a few years. cheesy

12) Achenyo Idachaba is founder of MitiMeth, a company producing hand-woven crafts from invasive aquatic weeds prevalent in Nigeria's waterways. MitiMeth engages local artisans to create eco-friendly hand- woven home décor and personal accessories from invasive aquatic weeds and non-timber forest resources.
Dead curious about this. Any links or address pls.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by Nobody: 10:21am On Oct 30, 2014
somewhere in wonderland
Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by Crispels(m): 10:22am On Oct 30, 2014
Where is our Own Seun? undecided

Owner of largest forum in Africa grin

The list is not complete abeg,Make I throw am for waste bin. angry

9 Likes

Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by Blackchampion(m): 10:23am On Oct 30, 2014
OP wia is OLUWASEUN OSEWA?

12 Likes

Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by lawrenceunaa: 10:23am On Oct 30, 2014
chukxie:
And where's our very own Seun? The owner of Nairaland --One of Africa's largest online social platforms! That list isn't complete.
ask am ooo
as if seun ain't promoting those people through adverts

3 Likes

Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by Nobody: 10:23am On Oct 30, 2014
hmmm,,,, i just dey observe, i believe i would join the list soon... cheesy wink

but come where's seun na? cry

5 Likes

Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by deife(m): 10:24am On Oct 30, 2014
Impressive! Great work, OP. Optimism does pay. These are people who see the cup as half full rather than half empty. It's really about perspective.

However, methinks Seun Osewa's name should have been included. smiley

2 Likes

Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by youngvizzy1(m): 10:24am On Oct 30, 2014
I just came here to read people's comments grin

1 Like

Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by moscobabs(m): 10:24am On Oct 30, 2014
check them most of them get backbone

Anyway why is Seun's name omitted?

3 Likes

Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by idris4r83(m): 10:24am On Oct 30, 2014
and where is our seun osewa?

1 Like

Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by Nobody: 10:25am On Oct 30, 2014
Blackchampion:
OP wia is OLUWASEUN OSEWA?

whats op?
Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by roufy235(m): 10:25am On Oct 30, 2014
Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by Nobody: 10:25am On Oct 30, 2014
Good one
These are the folks that have actually impressed and affected me directly and indirectly:
Seun Osewa - Nairaland.com
Jason njoku -spark group|Iroko TV
Linda Ikeji
Mark essien- hotels.ng
Sim shagaya- Konga
Kelo Okeke- Giddimint
Josh Uma -Oveem fruit market
Olaoluwa Awojoodu- cash envoy
Leke ojikutu- VoguePay
Simeon ononobi- simplepay Nigeria
Tunde kehinde- Apost (now African courier express)
if i keep updating this space,Na me go tire ....a lotta folks doing positive things outchea

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by kevinaduga(m): 10:25am On Oct 30, 2014
Highly Commendable. Hoping to join that league in the nearest future.
Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by moscobabs(m): 10:25am On Oct 30, 2014
nexstorm:
Me too I no understand the word young too..please what wud you say about zukerberg at is age..may be teenage entrepreneur
recheck the topic
Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by Nasri100(m): 10:26am On Oct 30, 2014
na
Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by rosette08: 10:26am On Oct 30, 2014
Mind blowing sad
Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by Bobbystanley(m): 10:26am On Oct 30, 2014
Yahoo Boys ain't included?

These are boys who create job for themselves rather than waiting for the Govt to offer them Jobs.

Their hustles must be recognized because in Africa,abnormal is normal.

6 Likes

Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by YungwizzzyPt7: 10:27am On Oct 30, 2014
Seunn cannot be included because nobody know him

He should continue hiding when kids are going places

6 Likes

Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by stonemind(f): 10:28am On Oct 30, 2014
s
Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 30, 2014
This is a lie...Why is my darling Seun Osewa not there....Its not because I have a crush on him o, but this dude inspires me.

-------------
While you wait for Nairaland to update the frontpage, you can read the latest gist on my blog at www..com . I no do shakara o, na God I dey take beg nna o.
-------------

2 Likes

Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by Blackchampion(m): 10:29am On Oct 30, 2014
Wonderlands:

whats op?
Original Poster

1 Like

Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by kenbee(f): 10:30am On Oct 30, 2014
what about me?
Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by Nobody: 10:30am On Oct 30, 2014
We are coming
Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by SmellOfSecondMonkey(f): 10:30am On Oct 30, 2014
I love sex in kitchen or the balcony. smiley
Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by Chukwutobi: 10:31am On Oct 30, 2014
Y is it dat wen important list like dis are made, seun is always omitted?
Re: 12 Young Entrepreneurs Who Make Me Feel Optimistic About Nigeria's Future by greatiyk4u(m): 10:31am On Oct 30, 2014
Noted.......dia re many hidden young promising entrepreneurs in 9ja....jst d online biz goes wt much awareness hype

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Seun Osewa Recognized By Forbes Africa / Six Dry Ports Being Built Across Nigeria To Be Linked To Rail Lines / Fire At Ecobank Headquarters In Lagos (VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.