Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,706 members, 7,862,229 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 11:48 AM

If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. (3453 Views)

Ghana Millionaire Says He Does Not Pay Tithe / Pay Tithe From The Money You Got From Gambleing, Right Or Wrong? / If You Are A Christian, But You Don't Tithe, Do You Go To Hell? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by plaetton: 3:43pm On Oct 29, 2014
jdilight:

Tithe is not for your spiritual success. If you have taken a little time to read my post on https://www.nairaland.com/1970546/understanding-concept-tithing you will not be thing tithe is a spiritual success secret.

Find time to read and stop following your opinion blindly.
You are the one who has been hawking tithe as a spiritual success secrete by referring to Abraham's spiritual success secrete.

1 Like

Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by jdilight(m): 3:54pm On Oct 29, 2014
plaetton:

Yes, I am full of envy and hatred .
I hate fraud.
I hate lazy greedy bums who use religion to rob and exploit others.
I hate when semiliterate blokes publicly hawk st.up.I.duty.

When superior show up peoples personality will be made known. I just checked your topics, I discover you stand against anything Christianity. It may not necessarily be a bad idea following you up on this issue.

Your hatred/ envy against the church is of not profit because the church of God cannot be stopped. God did not tell us, attempt will not be made against her. No! what he told us was, we are more than conqueror in everything. This one is not an exception.

You don't hate fraud, but the church of God. I have not heard anyone said he was force to giving his/her tithe. When I gave my first salary to the church of God. No one told me to do that. I did it of my will. So do you say I was defrauded of my first salary?

People whom you see as lazy are the ones moving the economy while the suppose hard working people are taking our money out side the country to host wedding and parties.

Illiteracy is relative, know one is learned in all field. The people you see as hawkers of stupidity are raising financial pillars all over the nation.

Stick to your religion and leave others to theirs.
Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by plaetton: 4:18pm On Oct 29, 2014
jdilight:

When superior show up peoples personality will be made known. I just checked your topics, I discover you stand against anything Christianity. It may not necessarily be a bad idea following you up on this issue.

Your hatred/ envy against the church is of not profit because the church of God cannot be stopped. God did not tell us, attempt will not be made against her. No! what he told us was, we are more than conqueror in everything. This one is not an exception.

You don't hate fraud, but the church of God. I have not heard anyone said he was force to giving his/her tithe. When I gave my first salary to the church of God. No one told me to do that. I did it of my will. So do you say I was defrauded of my first salary?

People whom you see as lazy are the ones moving the economy while the suppose hard working people are taking our money out side the country to host wedding and parties.

Illiteracy is relative, know one is learned in all field. The people you see as hawkers of stupidity are raising financial pillars all over the nation.

Stick to your religion and leave others to theirs.
Well sir,
I will definitely not come to your house nor your church to challenge your beliefs.

But once your beliefs are hawked on the public domain such as this, your messages will be dissected analyzed, challenged, mocked and relegated to the dustbin of nairaland religiotards.

1 Like

Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by PastorKun(m): 5:42pm On Oct 29, 2014
jdilight:

Please go through the word of God as concern tithing from Abraham. Abraham did not tithe agricultural produce, but all he got from the war including money. God did not direct Jacob to pay tithe but he vowed to God in Genesis 28:22 to do that having learn it importance from his grand father. So how is tithe not directed to the church, are they not meant to prosper?

And since when did Abraham become the standard for christians to follow I though we were meant to follow christ. Is there any injunction in your bible to follow abraham's one off tithe example? If then how did pastor's arrive at weekly/monthly tithes as Abraham known to tithe only once in his entire life.

2 Likes

Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by PastorKun(m): 5:48pm On Oct 29, 2014
jdilight:

Tithe is not for your spiritual success. If you have taken a little time to read my post on https://www.nairaland.com/1970546/understanding-concept-tithing you will not be thing tithe is a spiritual success secret.

Find time to read and stop following your opinion blindly.

I would advice you refrain from referring people to this your pathetic thread. You would only end up exposing how shallow you are based on the poor scripture twisting skills you exhibited on that thread.
Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by jdilight(m): 6:40pm On Oct 29, 2014
PastorKun:

I would advice you refrain from referring people to this your pathetic thread. You would only end up exposing how shallow you are based on the poor scripture twisting skills you exhibited on that thread.

Only people who know their onus refer people to their post. I don't think you have ever done that. Get something what making reference to and you will always refer people to it.
Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by jdilight(m): 6:43pm On Oct 29, 2014
PastorKun:

And since when did Abraham become the standard for christians to follow I though we were meant to follow christ. Is there any injunction in your bible to follow abraham's one off tithe example? If then how did pastor's arrive at weekly/monthly tithes as Abraham known to tithe only once in his entire life.

I make reference to Abraham to show that tithe existed before the law. But since you have run out of idea to keep people thinking that tithe is evil, then keep your 10% to yourself and allow those who love God enough to spread his gospel with their 10% do so.
Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by Image123(m): 7:37pm On Oct 29, 2014
striktlymi:
I am one who care little about paying tithes but despite this I do not chastise those who freely choose to contribute to the growth of their church and well being of their pastors by way of tithes.

I will not bore you with many quotes from Sacred scriptures about tithes or whether tithe giving is necessary or not for today's Christians. I will rather stick to the realities on the ground.

Number one reality is that we have people who, with a good knowledge of Sacred Scriptures, still choose to pay tithes. Another reality is that a section of the aforementioned people are low income earners who, despite their best efforts, pay tithes to the detriment of their loved ones.

This piece is not for those who can afford to pay 10% of their take home pay and still have more than enough to take care of their families and meet their other financial obligations.

Before I continue I would like to put to rest the minds of some of our 'Bible believing Christians' who may feel guilty about not giving 10% of their take home pay as tithe.

The relevant passage from Sacred Scriptures to meditate on is:

1 Timothy 5:8 (KJV)

8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

From the above, we should be able to decipher that God would be very displeased with someone who has the resources to take care of his family but neglects to do so just because the individual refuses to set his priorities right.

That includes diverting the much needed funds to the payment of tithes at the expense of your loved ones. If you must tithe then it is a must that you do it the right way. A way that should not put your family in jeopardy.

Continued in the next post

You can't tithe to the detriment of your loved ones. A human being has to have financial discipline. Any poor man who has no financial discipline will continue to remain poor and in debts. It is financial health to be able to put aside(on a regular basis) a part of your income or profit or proceeds for saving at least, before spending on family, self and whatever else. If setting apart 10% of your income or profits is to your detriment, please find some financial discipline, or a better job. What happened to the 90%. Anyone who cannot cope with 90% would not cope even with 150%. FACT.
Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by Image123(m): 7:54pm On Oct 29, 2014
hat
striktlymi:
Research has shown that a good number of Nigerians live below the poverty line and can hardly afford to feed themselves, let alone their families but despite this, the harsh reality is that some of these people still pay tithes.

If you fall within this category of people, you are very blessed if you pay the tithe without a grudge just like the poor widows of the Old and New testaments but please note: You are not expected to pay tithe. Use your money for yourselves and family. You can give what you can to your church every other day i.e if you can.

Please, if you are in the above category, just like it is with those who are well to do, this thread is not for you. Do not pay tithe when you cannot afford to.

This thread is strictly for those who earn a monthly take home (whether in paid employment or personal business) that should be enough to take care of themselves and their families, ceteris paribus.

The Bible NEVER discourages poor people giving. Instead, it discourages sinful people/sinners, and those that have an issue to settle. In fact, Jesus Christ commended the giving of a poor widow.
Luk 21:2 And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites.
Luk 21:3 And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all:
Luk 21:4 For all these have of their abundance cast in unto the offerings of God: but she of her penury hath cast in all the living that she had.

The commands on giving in the Old Testament hardly spare anybody. Instead, it considerably reduces the rates, that is all. It doesn't say not to give except you find it convenient.
Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by Image123(m): 7:56pm On Oct 29, 2014
striktlymi:
Now to the crux of the matter...

The question: How do you pay your tithe without offending God?

The simple answer to that question is to draw up a monthly personal budget that is skewed towards achieving that purpose. Drawing up a feasible personal budget entails a lot more than what meets the eyes. It is very useful for planning our short and long term income and expenditure but sadly very few people plan how they make and spend money.

A personal budget will help one avoid situations where you spend money but have no clue where the money went, hence passing the blame to one poor innocent old woman in the village. As it regards the topic, it helps the individual spend wisely on his or her family, have enough to pay tithe with less worries and also enough savings in the account.

Ideally, our monthly savings should not be less than 50% of our monthly net income. If yours is less than 30% then you should take drastic measures. One way of doing this is adopting a plan based spending culture, such that you spend in line with your income stream or less. A personal budget will help you achieve this.

Good, now you're talking.
Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by Zikkyy(m): 8:41pm On Oct 29, 2014
PastorKun:

I strongly disagree with you, the only right way to pay tithes is to do it as instructed in scriptures which means tithes can only be paid to levites priest and it must strictly be based on agric produce in the promised land (Israel) any other definition is adding to sacred scriptures.

It depends. If you are paying the tithe commanded by God or tithe based on pastor's commandment.

1 Like

Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by PastorKun(m): 8:56pm On Oct 29, 2014
jdilight:

I make reference to Abraham to show that tithe existed before the law. But since you have run out of idea to keep people thinking that tithe is evil, then keep your 10% to yourself and allow those who love God enough to spread his gospel with their 10% do so.

You remain a chronic pathological liar if you can't quote any post I said tithes is evil. And as I said earlier Abraham's one off tithe was based on the customs of his people and not God's commandment so stop using it to manipulate people into parting with 10% of their regular income.
Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by Nobody: 9:00pm On Oct 29, 2014
you know that tithing is in the bible
Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by trustman: 10:53pm On Oct 29, 2014
oiu123:
You know too that animal sacrifices is also in the Bible.
Do you still do animal sacrifices today? If so, how?

2 Likes

Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by brocab: 1:17am On Oct 30, 2014
Why only 10% why not give more?
Hebunn:
So removing 10% will stop me from taking care of my family? Bros park well ooooo... My argument is not about tithing this morning, but removing 10% of your income won't stop you from doing the needful when it comes to taking care of the home front. As a matter of principle, every income earner should save at least 10% of their earnings, so if they decide to GIVE it, all well and good. Like I said, my argument isn't about tithe, just trying to make a point. Morning.

1 Like

Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by Nobody: 8:00am On Oct 30, 2014
For those interested in adopting a monthly personal budget that should help you pay your tithes conveniently, kindly see the last update to my post: https://www.nairaland.com/1971805/must-pay-tithe-it-right#27544536

I had to use that space because of the arguments going on. I will continue in the next post.
Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by Nobody: 8:29am On Oct 30, 2014
It is a bit easier to define one's income stream as compared with defining one's expenditure. For the most part, a lot of folks derive income from one source. Either one's salary or a relatively small business. Though it is very advisable to diversify one's source of income but the reality is that a lot of us don't have the 'stomach' for it.

In any case, whatever your expected income stream for the first month, kindly note them down. This, like I mentioned earlier may be your salary, the income you get from your private business, the income from your spouse etc.

For the first month, your expected income should not include bonuses you are not sure of getting. This is a common mistake a lot of people make. You see some planning an event a big as their wedding with moneys they believe would come from expected bonuses. It is good to plan but basing your plans on your bonus is a recipe for disaster. Bonuses for the most part are relatively uncertain.

After defining your expected sources of income, the next is to quantify those income stream. How much do you think would be a good estimate for the expected income? For salary earners, this is relatively easy. You know your net income for you and your wife (for those who are married and are in paid employment) at the end of the month. This should define your expected income for that month.

For business men and women, defining your expected net income is a bit tricky. You would have to fall back on some historical data as it concerns your business. You check the flow of income for previous months and get a best estimate. For those who are good at book keeping and have ready data to check their sales for each month, this would come in handy.

Please note that your net income as a businessman or woman is not your total profit. Your net income is actually your disposable profit. For many people, though they are into business, they make the mistake of assuming 'false profits'. You may think you are making profits but in the true sense, you are actually making losses.

I will continue with that line of thought when I am free in the office.

Continued in next post
Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by Nobody: 8:33am On Oct 30, 2014
plaetton:
The question, the very simple for those advocates of tithe paying is this:

What exactly should tithe money or proceeds be used for?
For me, this is all that matters.

If members feel obliged to pay tithe to Church fund from which less fortunate members would benefit, then there shouldn't be much ado about tithing.
But when tithe is seen as property of pastor and his family to live large at the expense of his members, then it becomes immoral and a form of obtaining by false pretence.

Honest Christians should debate what social services tithe money should be used for on behalf of the members.

A church is a community. It can never be fair or moral for the contributions of a community be for the benefit of one or a few.

Very sensible and thought provoking.
Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by BossTtdiamonds(m): 9:35am On Oct 30, 2014
striktlymi:

Very sensible and thought provoking.

It is sensible and thought provokin' just cause it is in line with your assertion...innit..??

If he had written on "Why servin' God is a waste of time"....would you have also said his statement is Sensible and thought provokin'...

You're found a common ground on the matters of God with an Atheist who does not believe a thin' written in the word of God?..
Makes me ponder..are you really a christain..??
Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by lastmessenger: 10:41am On Oct 30, 2014
PastorKun:

I also want to ask if Abraham one time tithe was what made him rich and great? I thought Abraham was already a rich guy before he paid the tithe.so how can one say that Abraham was practicing a success principle when he paid tithe?

1 Like

Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by brocab: 9:49am On Oct 31, 2014
Will you give your tithing to the poor? Would you feed your flock? Would you visit me in prison? Would you help me, I'm a stranger, I'm poor, I'm hungry, I'm in prison? Would you help me, birds have nest, foxes have holes, I have no place to rest my head. Will you help me?
striktlymi:
Now to the crux of the matter...

The question: How do you pay your tithe without offending God?

The simple answer to that question is to draw up a monthly personal budget that is skewed towards achieving that purpose. Drawing up a feasible personal budget entails a lot more than what meets the eyes. It is very useful for planning our short and long term income and expenditure but sadly very few people plan how they make and spend money.

A personal budget will help one avoid situations where you spend money but have no clue where the money went, hence passing the blame to one poor innocent old woman in the village. As it regards the topic, it helps the individual spend wisely on his or her family, have enough to pay tithe with less worries and also enough savings in the account.

Ideally, our monthly savings should not be less than 50% of our monthly net income. If yours is less than 30% then you should take drastic measures. One way of doing this is adopting a plan based spending culture, such that you spend in line with your income stream or less. A personal budget will help you achieve this.

Re: If You Must Pay Tithe, Do It Right. by brocab: 10:05am On Oct 31, 2014
The truth will set you free.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Maxindhouse Come And Defend Your Watchtower Bible / Does This Work / By Faith Alone?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.