Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,076 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:08 PM

THE DANGERS OF MP/WIDAL TEST (www.primerhealth.com.ng) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / THE DANGERS OF MP/WIDAL TEST (www.primerhealth.com.ng) (18163 Views)

Watch Your Cream For Hydroquinone.-(dangers Of Hydroquinone.) / The Dangers Of Drinking Soda, Energy Drinks, Coke Or Mineral Water / The Dangers Of Chewing Gum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

THE DANGERS OF MP/WIDAL TEST (www.primerhealth.com.ng) by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 30, 2014
I shall begin with a story. As a doctor, one of your greatest challenges in practice will be people you know. So one person I know called me some days ago sounding very urgent. Her friend was quite sick with fever and vomiting and stomach pain. No diarrhea. They had done the standard test Nigerians now habitually arm themselves with: Malarial parasite (MP) and Widal test.
The MP was negative and the Widal test was positive and thus they were quite confident it was Typhoid. I was to give them prescriptions for Typhoid fever over the phone. I sighed and told them to come to the hospital.

My point of objection is the straightjacket use of Widal test to diagnose all illnesses as Typhoid malaria. Let me be clear: there is no disease entity known as "Typhoid-Malaria". I was not taught in school and it is yet to be added to the medical curriculum. If you have been treated for Typhoid-Malaria in the past then sorry, na scam. Malaria can be difficult to treat yes, but it does not plan meetings with Typhoid on the human body. www.primerhealth.com.ng

The parasite causing typhoid fever in itself is a common disease which we are exposed to in this part of the world especially if you tend to favor eating in mama putt. Full blown typhoid fever is a deadly disease with with features of diarrhea (or constipation), vomiting, headaches, abdominal pain and swelling, joint pains, rashes and fever. It can progress into intestinal damage, brain infection and abnormal bleeding. See more here. Hence no one walks into the hospital saying, "hi doctor, I have typhoid". The patient with typhoid fever is a dying patient. Be quick to reject the incorrect diagnosis next time.

True the Widal test is used to diagnose Typhoid. However the Widal is also positive in many other instances such as in persons who have had Typhoid infection before, viral infections and other bacterial infections. Interestingly, the test is positive in Malaria infection. Keeping in mind the number of mosquitoes that depend on our blood daily for survival, you can understand why many of our Widal tests will be positive even when we are not ill. All these make the Widal test highly controversial in diagnosing Typhoid fever. www.primerhealth.com.ng

All this means is that you cannot simply walk into any laboratory of your choice and come out with a Typhoid illness. I apologise to all private lab owners ( and hospitals too!) whose businesses may be hurt by this revelation. But enough is enough. You can go ahead and do your Widal test for curiousity sake but please do not bring it near to me as I will simply throw it in a thrashcan.

My friend's friend was an unusual case though. She was actually having the stomach pain plus vomiting and a positive Widal. Typhoid fever ?? Not a chance. I told them she had acute appendicitis and commenced antibiotics. They didn't think so. No it was Typhoid. They wanted a scan to be sure. I was certain it wasn't necessary. I obliged them anyway. The scan came back with the same diagnosis. www.primerhealth.com.ng

You will begin to wonder how many Nigerians have died from the MP/Widal test. Serious illnesses with fever such as cancers will continue in the background while the patient is visiting drugs stores in search of the cure for Typhoid-Malaria. And this is usually the case as many doctors can testify to. The patients present late when the symptoms become unbearable but not before swallowing a bucketful of malaria and typhoid medications.

So the next time you are told you are told you have Typhoid-Malaria, shine your eyes. If it is in a hospital, abeg pack your things and head for next exit. It may save your life. You have been warned!

Read the complete write up and more sizzling health info as simple as abc @ www.primerhealth.com.ng

You'll be glad you did!

2 Likes

Re: THE DANGERS OF MP/WIDAL TEST (www.primerhealth.com.ng) by Stuffyj(m): 8:34pm On Oct 30, 2014
Nice write up.

1 Like

Re: THE DANGERS OF MP/WIDAL TEST (www.primerhealth.com.ng) by Nobody: 10:01pm On Oct 30, 2014
thank you!
kindly check out www.primerhealth.com.ng for more of same
Re: THE DANGERS OF MP/WIDAL TEST (www.primerhealth.com.ng) by IYSKABA: 12:10pm On May 12, 2017
what if my result says these.

.mp...NEGATIVE

And widal ....IgG and IgM not reactive to salmonella typhi and panatyphi anti gen

please i need an urgent answer on this report

(1) (Reply)

10 Shocking Photos of The Most disgusting Human parasites / Coronavirus: Cameroon Records First Case Of Deadly Virus / CAN TOILET INFECTION CAUSE IRREGULAR PERIOD IN A LADY?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.