Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,339 members, 7,819,192 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:29 PM

LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES (3770 Views)

Drama As Dino Melaye Addresses Saraki As Speaker / You Cannot Reasonably Be A Minority In Your Ancestral Land -radio Biafra / Plateau State Assembly Elects Minority Member As Speaker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by pendy79: 3:40pm On Oct 30, 2014
There was a legal and valid precedence of a minority party heading the House of Representatives in 1983 when Chief Edwin Ume-Ezeoke of the Nigerian People's Party as Speaker in a parliament with the National Party of Nigeria as the majority.

tambuwal surely has justification to retain his seat and no amount of intimidation will and can change that.

"Ogene said the 1999 Constitution in Section 50 (1b) (as amended) clearly stipulates how a Senate president, deputy Senate president, House speaker and deputy House speaker could emerge irrespective of the party that has the majority. He observed that similar incident happened in the Second Republic when the then speaker, Hon. Edwin Ume-Ezeoke of the Nigerian Peoples Party, NPP, was in the minority party in the House while the National Party of Nigeria, NPN, was in the majority. Ogene stressed that the 7th Assembly was broad minded and would remain one united House of Representatives in the matter"

http://nigerianpilot.com/quit-now-pdp-govs-order-tambuwal/#fref%23fref

3 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by pendy79: 4:16pm On Oct 30, 2014
I hope this put to bed the argument of him needing to step down cos he cross carpeted. The constitution is clear and the position of speaker and deputy speaker are the sole position not determined by party affiliation.

3 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by hardywaltz(m): 4:18pm On Oct 30, 2014
pendy79:
There was a legal and valid precedence of a minority party heading the House of Representatives in 1983 when Chief Edwin Ume-Ezeoke of the Nigerian People's Party as Speaker in a parliament with the National Party of Nigeria as the majority.

tambuwal surely has justification to retain his seat and no amount of intimidation will and can change that.

"Ogene said the 1999 Constitution in Section 50 (1b) (as amended) clearly stipulates how a Senate president, deputy Senate president, House speaker and deputy House speaker could emerge irrespective of the party that has the majority. He observed that similar incident happened in the Second Republic when the then speaker, Hon. Edwin Ume-Ezeoke of the Nigerian Peoples Party, NPP, was in the minority party in the House while the National Party of Nigeria, NPN, was in the majority. Ogene stressed that the 7th Assembly was broad minded and would remain one united House of Representatives in the matter"

Case closed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by taiwoflb: 4:20pm On Oct 30, 2014

2 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by Omimah: 4:44pm On Oct 30, 2014
pendy79:

I observed the party of Edwin Ume-Ezeoke on google has been changed to NPN. I suspect it has been edited just like the profile of Stella Oduah when her claim of having a PhD was busted. Naija I hail.

2 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by pendy79: 5:00pm On Oct 30, 2014
Omimah:

I observed the party of Edwin Ume-Ezeoke on google has been changed to NPN. I suspect it has been edited just like the profile of Stella Oduah when her claim of having a PhD was busted. Naija I hail.

Lol, don't mind those revisionist. They are already beaten in their own game

2 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by Nobody: 5:06pm On Oct 30, 2014
I don't know the PDP constitution and I don't care to knw, but according to Nigeria's Constitution, Aminu Tambawal have every moral and legal justification to remain speaker except 2/3 of reps decide otherwise.

2 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by shift15(m): 5:10pm On Oct 30, 2014
Op, this is a lie. In other to maintain the majority, NPP was offered the Speakership and Edwin eventually defect to NPN. He was NPN speaker and not NPP speaker, stop peddling lies.

6 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by Nobody: 5:12pm On Oct 30, 2014
pendy79:

bros this is not a case of minority or majority!! Tambuwal is no longer a member of the HOR as regards section 68 of the constitution.It is only a member of the HOR that can become speaker

2 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by Nobody: 5:13pm On Oct 30, 2014
baccaspace:
I don't know the PDP constitution and I don't care to knw, but according to Nigeria's Constitution, Aminu Tambawal have every moral and legal justification to remain speaker except 2/3 of reps decide otherwise.

TAMBUWAL IS NO LONGER AMMEMBER OF THE HOR AND SO NO ONE NEEDS 2/3 OF THE VOTES TO REMOVE HIM

2 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by Nobody: 5:14pm On Oct 30, 2014
taiwoflb:
Tambuwal remains the speaker - House grin grin grin

http://www..com.ng/index.php/political-news/item/898-tambuwal-remains-the-speaker-lawmakers

ode who is house? 205 reps abi 151 reps?

1 Like

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by BOAR: 5:18pm On Oct 30, 2014
chukwudi44:

TAMBUWAL IS NO LONGER AMMEMBER OF THE HOR AND SO NO ONE NEEDS 2/3 OF THE VOTES TO REMOVE HIM

Stop this ignorant talk please.

1 Like

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by pendy79: 5:18pm On Oct 30, 2014
chukwudi44:

bros this is not a case of minority or majority!! Tambuwal is no longer a member of the HOR as regards section 68 of the constitution.It is only a member of the HOR that can become speaker

Go and remove him na since he is representing oji river constituenty of Enugu State. Make una gather go comot am.

I'm sure all the APGA reps and Labour party reps that PDP absorbed too have lost their seats.

4 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by atlwireles: 5:19pm On Oct 30, 2014
The government of 1979 was formed by NPN/NPP. That was how NPP gained the speaker's seat, before a formal decampment by the speaker to NPN, after the 1981 crises.

God save us from the revisionist.
Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by Nobody: 5:20pm On Oct 30, 2014
BOAR:

Stop this ignorant talk please.
what is ignorant about the talk? cant you read again?.The police even higed his removal on that section yet you are calling it ignorant.I wonder who is more ignorant between me and you.The OP goofed as the argument hinging his removal has nothing to do with minority or majority status of his party.Tambuwal has lost his seat and should go back to election if he wants to come back.

2 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by Nobody: 5:22pm On Oct 30, 2014
pendy79:

Go and remove him na since he is representing oji river constituenty of Enugu State. Make una gather go comot am.

I'm sure all the APGA reps and Labour party reps that PDP absorbed too have lost their seats.

HE HAS BEEN REMOVED ALREADY.DO YOU STILL SEE HIM GOING WITH THE SECURITY APPARATUS ATTACHED TO A SPEAKER? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE ABOUT THAT.IF HE CLAIMS TO BE SPEAKER LET HIM RECONVENE THE HOUSE AND WATCH WHAT WILL HAPPEN.

2 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by egift(m): 5:23pm On Oct 30, 2014
Poor PDP that cannot afford 2-third member in House Of Representives to effect their dubious quest of holding power.

Up APC...Nigeria...Progress!

1 Like

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by Nobody: 5:24pm On Oct 30, 2014
68. (1) A member of the Senate or of the House of Representatives shall vacate his seat in the House of which he is a member if -

(a) he becomes a member of another legislative house.

(b) any other circumstances arise that, if he were not a member of the Senate or the House of Representatives, would cause him to be disqualified for election as a member;

(c) he ceases to be a citizen of Nigeria;

(d) he becomes President, Vice-President, Governor, Deputy Governor or a Minister of the Government of the Federation or a Commissioner of the Government of a State or a Special Adviser.

(e) save as otherwise prescribed by this Constitution, he becomes a member of a commission or other body established by this Constitution or by any other law.

(f) without just cause he is absent from meetings of the House of which he is a member for a period amounting in the aggregate to more than one-third of the total number of days during which the House meets in any one year;

(g) being a person whose election to the House was sponsored by a political party, he becomes a member of another political party before the expiration of the period for which that House was elected;

Provided that his membership of the latter political party is not as a result of a division in the political party of which he was previously a member or of a merger of two or more political parties or factions by one of which he was previously sponsored; or

(h) the President of the Senate or, as the case may be, the Speaker of the House of Representatives receives a certificate under the hand of the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission stating that the provisions of section 69 of this Constitution have been complied with in respect of the recall of that member.

3 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by egift(m): 5:27pm On Oct 30, 2014
PDP thugs know they do not have any legal backing to remove the Speaker. That is why after their meeting, they ask him to resign on MORAL ground grin grin grin

When will PDP ask Jonathan to resign on MORAL ground since he has presided on the killing of many Nigerians?

2 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by Nobody: 5:27pm On Oct 30, 2014
egift:
Poor PDP that cannot afford 2-third member in House Of Representives to effect their dubious quest of holding power.

Up APC...Nigeria...Progress!

YOU DONT NEED 2/3 TO REMOVE SOMEONE WHO IS NOT A MEMBER OF THE HOUSE OF REPS.WHAT YOU NEED IS THE POLICE.TAMBUWAL SHOULD DARE GO TO THE HOUSE AND ASSUME OFFICE AS SPEAKER LET US SEE.

4 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by egift(m): 5:34pm On Oct 30, 2014
chukwudi44:

(g) being a person whose election to the House was sponsored by a political party, he becomes a member of another political party before the expiration of the period for which that House was elected;

Provided that his membership of the latter political party is not as a result of a division in the political party of which he was previously a member or of a merger of two or more political parties or factions by one of which he was previously sponsored; or

Read the underlined above and answer the following Questions:
- Was there problem in PDP?
- Did the PDP National Working Committee visit Sokoto to reconcile the dispute?
- Did the Nigerian constitution set a time limit to when that dispute should not be a reference point?

PDP is pursuing a lost course. Aminu Tambawal is feeding them grass and sand on this one. I understand why PDP is crying helplessly grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by pendy79: 5:36pm On Oct 30, 2014
chukwudi44:

HE HAS BEEN REMOVED ALREADY.DO YOU STILL SEE HIM GOING WITH THE SECURITY APPARATUS ATTACHED TO A SPEAKER? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE ABOUT THAT.IF HE CLAIMS TO BE SPEAKER LET HIM RECONVENE THE HOUSE AND WATCH WHAT WILL HAPPEN.

Why are you shouting here? Did you hear the house stand adjourned? When the time to resume proceeding reaches he will summon the house. The security details of Ngige were withdrawn by an ex IG in Anambra, did that remove him as the executive governor of the state until the end of the appeal process.

Who cares about the stupidity of an overzealous policeman who is ready the suck any ass of the pDP top echelon to get confirmation. He is just playing to the gallery to earn his garri. Forget hallucinating.

If he is no longer the speaker, can you give us the name of the new speaker? Since you're the unofficial spokesman of the house, Mr busybody pls I will appreciate if you will stop spamming my mention. I don't like sentimental gist I deal with facts and reality. If you have the name of the new speaker as officially announced please provide it.

3 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by egift(m): 5:37pm On Oct 30, 2014
chukwudi44:

YOU DONT NEED 2/3 TO REMOVE SOMEONE WHO IS NOT A MEMBER OF THE HOUSE OF REPS. WHAT YOU NEED IS THE POLICE. TAMBUWAL SHOULD DARE GO TO THE HOUSE AND ASSUME OFFICE AS SPEAKER LET US SEE.

Intimidation will not cut this one. Aminu Tambawal did not sleep with the President's wife. You better get used to the man Aminu Tambawal - that is the next Governor of Sokoto State grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by Nobody: 5:39pm On Oct 30, 2014
egift:

Intimidation will not cut this one. Aminu Tambawal did not sleep with the President's wife. You better get used to the man Aminu Tambawal - that is the next Governor of Sokoto State grin grin grin
WETIN CONSIGN ME WITH WHO BECOMES GOVERNOR OF SOKOTO STATE? I AM NOT AN INDIGENE OF SOKOTO NEITHER DO I LIVE THERE OR EVEN KNOW ANYONE WHO LIVES THERE

1 Like

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by Nobody: 5:42pm On Oct 30, 2014
pendy79:

Why are you shouting here? Did you hear the house stand adjourned? When the time to resume proceeding reaches he will summon the house. The security details of Ngige were withdrawn by an ex IG in Anambra, did that remove him as the executive governor of the state until the end of the appeal process.

Who cares about the stupidity of an overzealous policeman who is ready the suck any ass of the pDP top echelon to get confirmation. He is just playing to the gallery to earn his garri. Forget hallucinating.

If he is no longer the speaker, can you give us the name of the new speaker? Since you're the unofficial spokesman of the house, Mr busybody pls I will appreciate if you will stop spamming my mention. I don't like sentimental gist I deal with facts and reality. If you have the name of the new speaker as officially announced please provide it.

EMEKA IHEDIOHA IS THE NEW SPEAKER BY VIRTUE OF SECTION 53 SUBSECTION 2 OF THE 1999 CONSTITUTION

53. (1) At any sitting of the National Assembly -

(a) in the case of the Senate, the President of the Senate shall preside, and in his absence the Deputy President shall preside; and

(b) in the case of the House of Representatives, the Speaker of that House shall preside, and in his absence the Deputy Speaker shall preside

BTW IF YOU DO NOT WANT ME TO COMMENT GO AND CRATE YOUR OWN WEBSITE AND BAN ME HERE BUT AS LONG AS WE ARE IN NAIRALAND I MUST COMMENT

1 Like

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by Nobody: 5:45pm On Oct 30, 2014
Tambawal is answerable to the 1999 Constitution while the previous case was under the 1979 Constitution. I was under the impression the 1979 Constitution has been superceded by the 1999 Constitution

1 Like

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by Nobody: 5:49pm On Oct 30, 2014
egift:

Read the underlined above and answer the following Questions:
- Was there problem in PDP?
- Did the PDP National Working Committee visit Sokoto to reconcile the dispute?
- Did the Nigerian constitution set a time limit to when that dispute should not be a reference point?

PDP is pursuing a lost course. Aminu Tambawal is feeding them grass and sand on this one. I understand why PDP is crying helplessly grin grin grin

IS THERE DIVISON IN THE SOKOTO PDP?

HOW CAN YOU PROVE THERE UIS A DIVISION?

DID THAT SECTIN OF THE CONSTITUTION TALK YOU ABOUT DIVISION IN THE STATE CHAPETERS OF THE PARTY?

1 Like

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by pendy79: 5:55pm On Oct 30, 2014
chukwudi44:

EMEKA IHEDIOHA IS THE NEW SPEAKER BY VIRTUE OF SECTION 53 SUBSECTION 2 OF THE 1999 CONSTITUTION

53. (1) At any sitting of the National Assembly -

(a) in the case of the Senate, the President of the Senate shall preside, and in his absence the Deputy President shall preside; and

(b) in the case of the House of Representatives, the Speaker of that House shall preside, and in his absence the Deputy Speaker shall preside

BTW IF YOU DO NOT WANT ME TO COMMENT GO AND CRATE YOUR OWN WEBSITE AND BAN ME HERE BUT AS LONG AS WE ARE IN NAIRALAND I MUST COMMENT

I dont know why the government owned media house NTA is not carrying the story of this your own speaker o. Maybe na hot story from otuoke and you were part of the meeting.

Don't worry I will not only "CRATE" my own website infact I will coca-cola and pepsi my own.

4 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by BOAR: 5:56pm On Oct 30, 2014
chukwudi44:

what is ignorant about the talk? cant you read again?.The police even higed his removal on that section yet you are calling it ignorant.I wonder who is more ignorant between me and you.The OP goofed as the argument hinging his removal has nothing to do with minority or majority status of his party.Tambuwal has lost his seat and should go back to election if he wants to come back.

It's quite clear that your kind of mindset that emphasize brashness and impunity rather than tact and understanding have led to where GEJ government have found itself today.

2 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by egift(m): 5:56pm On Oct 30, 2014
chukwudi44:

IS THERE DIVISON IN THE SOKOTO PDP?

HOW CAN YOU PROVE THERE UIS A DIVISION?

DID THAT SECTIN OF THE CONSTITUTION TALK YOU ABOUT DIVISION IN THE STATE CHAPETERS OF THE PARTY?

[img]http://1.bp..com/-nL3LUPMvyiU/UHgxsM1RfTI/AAAAAAAAAZU/JIvHUJSKakA/s1600/Crying-man1.jpg[/img]
Chukwudi cry till tomorrow. Aminu Tambawal remains the Speaker and will proceed to be Governor of Sokoto State grin grin grin

7 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by BOAR: 5:57pm On Oct 30, 2014
pendy79:

I dont know why the government owned media house NTA is not carrying the story of this your own speaker o. Maybe na hot story from otuoke and you were part of the meeting.

Don't worry I will not only "CRATE" my own website infact I will coca-cola and pepsi my own.

Lmaooooo grin grin grin grin

Leave Chukwudi alone, he is a very stubborn customer.

2 Likes

Re: LEGAL PRECEDENCE OF A MINORITY MEMBER AS SPEAKER, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES by pendy79: 6:23pm On Oct 30, 2014
"Chief Ume-Ezeoke burst into the political limelight when he emerged as the Speaker of the House of Representatives after the general elections of 1979. It was the first (and only time since then) that the head of an arm of our bicameral National Assembly would emerge from a political party that did not win the majority of seats in the parliament.

The reason for this unusual phenomenon was not farfetched. After the 1979 general elections, the National Party of Nigeria (NPN), which won the presidency and majority of the seats in both the Senate and House of Representatives could not fulfill the constitutionally required conditions to form government alone. It went into what was known as an accord with the third-placed Nigerian People’s Party (NPP), led by Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, in a power-sharing arrangement. Even though the accord later collapsed because the NPN was accused of poaching members of its coalition partner, Ume-Ezeoke kept his post till 1983 when another election was held"

Any body who wishes to state Ime-Ezeoke defected should come with proper proof of such. It's a pity the worsening education policy of the PDP has really rubbed off badly on the youths of this great country. People arguing blindly without any basis.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ah! No sane person must vote this man / Adams Oshiomole Impose #70,000 Monthly Tax On Borehole Owners / Reply To Those Who Say Islam Must Be Banned For Zamfara's Murder_ By Lord Kabex

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.