Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,940 members, 7,817,751 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa (25914 Views)

US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion / Buhari Bares His Heart About Elections and Democracy / Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 2:54pm On Nov 02, 2014
patriot4:

You are not making any sense, my uncle refused usa citizenship. And yes he is interested in making money, that is why he is in the usa, my uncle's passport is green and his money has no colour. There are also many americans who work in the oil sector in Nigeria, (htey make about five times what you call a high salary in the US), should we reverse the thing and say they love Nigeria more than the US and that they love the Naira and want to enjoy the sweet of the black man ? try and make some sense !
To my uncle, america is a business, not a country.
Everybody has his own plans, my uncle is not the best person in this world, but he is patriotic, you can't take that away from him. he is not superman and has had a lot of trouble, but he keeps to his plan: gather money legally and then come back home and make things better (build hospitals). He comes back home every chance he gets.
Your uncle is not patriotic, simple as 123. He should get his butt back to Nigeria where is skills are needed. All you typed above is hot air. Did Adenuga make his money in America.

Your uncle can make his money in Nigeria like several doctors owning private hospitals in Nigeria. Does he need to stay in the US and enjoy the benefits of living and working in America

Comparing your uncle to contractors expatriate oil workers in Nigeria doesn't make sense, a bad comparison. The oil workers are on TEMPORARY work visa but your uncle is a green card holder aka PERMANENT residence visa holder (not much difference as a citizen). Can you see the difference
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by VolvoS60(m): 3:29pm On Nov 02, 2014
patriot4:
Look, first of all, you don't seem to understand that right now one of our biggest problems is the western media itself !
The fact that all they report about Nigeria is negative is a way to destroy the country.
It seems you do not know what is called hostile reporting!
No country is perfect and it is going to take us time to overcome our problems, but the western media is killing us right now !
Western media is trying hard to destroy our image and economy and so on. It is the average Nigerian who suffers from that. This is a form of foreign intervention, the like of which westerners think they are god sent to do.
Western media believe in the moral superiority of the west and intentionnally portrays black nations which are powerful enough to have their own policies and to influence others, as evil. They did that to Haïti and crashed its economy. It is the same western media which was used in the days of colonization to portray africans as savages who needed their ressources taken away by westerners and their freedom suspended.
I think you really have a problem understanding me, the reason why I talk about cameroon is all about the logics of condemning us day and nigh while not condemning people who are worse than us. Cameroon is a dictatorship which has a habbit of locking up political opposition, in their last fake elections the opponents of biya said biya was the best candidate for presidency. Biya has been president for more than 31 years, and the country is extremely corrupt, but Biya was schooled and appointed by France and spends a big amount of time in Paris (probably taking orders), so western media looks the order way (play on words). You really need to understand that the media is being used as a weapon, not as a humanitarian intervention. Look for example at what western media and aljaziera have turned isis into, thanks to them isis is now an international company which is growing in strenght, and the poor countries of Iraq and Syria keep seing their people being beheaded at a greater rate. Western media portrayal is so terrible that now many westerners have been brainwashed by the media and are now terrorists fighting in syria. The same with this boko haram problem in which the western media publishes a lot of ennemy propaganda and gives the terrorists free publicity and gives it a bigger credibility than any Nigerian institution or person. All this helps the terrorists to recruit and helps them to get funds. People who specialize on fighting against terror (including Jacob Zenn) have been complaining on the fact that western media is willingly or unwillingly making rockstars out of terrorists. This is what I am complaining about !
All this was also done against Russia itself, yes great Russia was bashed by western media and that is why RT was created. The same was done against Iran and that is why pressTV was created. The same was done against the arabs and that is why they created aljaziera and al arabiya.
You need to understand that there is such a thing as media war going on !
This world is not an utopia in which the press tells the truth and is driven by good intentions, it is all about running people down !
You should know that ! The press is a tool much like an army, it is there to exeecute your foreign policy.
So you need to understand this, there is no moral superiority in western media and there are no good intentions neither, it is all about fighting against Nigeria through media war ! That is why Nigerians keep being humiliated in international air ports.
So stop the simplistic rhetoric of saying "fix your problesms and the negative media coverage will go". When we had more serious problems in the abacha dictatorship for example, the media coverage was better than what it is now.
We are bound to fix our problems, but by ourselves, no messianic mission from the west, just Nigerians fixing Nigeria's problems. On the other side there is a media war going on and that also needs to be won.

^^^^
This is probably going to be my last post on this thread. If you notice, my last post was a point by point response to yours. Unfortunately, you did not respond in the same manner, which makes me doubt if you understand my position on the issues being discussed. Nonetheless I will once again take up some of your key points one by one:

Your most recent post talks up a storm about how negative, hostile reporting is 'destroying' and 'killing' our image (image, again?!!! undecided) and economy. You then talk about how this media driven 'attack' is a form of foreign intervention. For the last time, I urge to kindly note that you are not the only one with a clear understanding of global geopolitics and the history of Western imperialism. You are not telling me anything new about how the West operates. You would be better served in educating your/our leaders about these things because frankly speaking, I think they need these lessons far, far more than I do.

You brought up Cameroon once again, despite my very clear comments about how I am much more interested in Nigeria than Cameroon (for obvious reasons). Perhaps without meaning to, you have exposed your real concern on this matter: you are upset because the West has not taken Cameroon to task for what you consider to be Cameroon's comparatively worse situation. It is unfortunate that you have very little to say about fixing your own country's problems - you are clearly more concerned about an 'equitable' distribution (by the very West whom you so despise) in its description of regional and continental state failure. angry When will you stop worrying about what the West SAYS and start worrying about what YOUR country's leaders are going to DO?

The United States government and other key Western European powers denounce and disparage China and Russia in the complex dance that these powers routinely engage one another in. Without in any way legitimizing or supporting Russian/Chinese state policy I must ask you sir: Do you think the Russians and the Chinese care? Do they respond in an emotional manner with outbursts about 'image'? No they do not. China and Russia are INDUSTRIAL powers who actually make and manufacture stuff. Russia and China DO matter. They do not necessarily need US approval to validate themselves. They simply advance their agenda and interests (as far the system permits), whether the Americans call them names or not.

Once again, perhaps without meaning to, you have exposed your woolly thinking on this matter. Since you have framed the argument in terms of a media war propagated by hostile powers, what stops your country from responding promptly the way the Russians, Iranians and the Arabs have? According to you, Russia, Iran and the Arabs have RT, PressTV and Aljazeera. What does your country have? angry

I am beginning to lose patience on this matter - the best you and I can do is agree to disagree. It is very revealing that while you write copiously about the grand global media plan to destroy Nigeria (and your strategy to counter it), you are curiously short on detail about fixing your country's many serious problems. Apart from a few platitudes and vague one-liners angry about how we will somehow fix these problems, you had absolutely nothing to say about strategies, objectives and action in decisively answering the Nigerian Question. You chose instead to expend your considerable energies on 'your' media war with 'hostile' Western powers.

Go forth on to victory, sir. I wish you well.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 5:53pm On Nov 02, 2014
zboyd:

Re: "...30,000 Americans are killed from Gun violence"

Most Africans can barely afford to feed themselves, let alone buy a gun. But that doesn't stop Africans from dying, due to gun violence, bombings and mob violence, many times stemming from ethnic and religious violence and superstitious beliefs.
­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­___________________________________________________________________
Re: "...the killing of unarmed black mens by the police"

What of this?

Nigerian Police Brutality: Killer Cop Arrested In Lagos

The police officer that brutally shot a Makoko Waterfront community leader while on duty arrested.

Read more at: http://naijagists.com/killer-cop-arrested-in-lagos-over-makoko-brutality/

Nigerian Police Bully And Execute Defenceless Citizens

Nigeria has become one huge killing field of defenceless citizens. The killing machine is the Nigerian Police, who think it is no big deal shooting and killing the same people they are paid to protect. This absurd indulgence has existed for years without a serious attempt to bring it to an end. Every year, hundreds of citizens get killed by the police unlawfully. These killings usually go uninvestigated and unpunished.
Read more: http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/headline/119454-nigeria-police-bully-and-execute-defenceless-citizens.html#ixzz3HujGGQmP

"There are more black men in prison than in colleges and university."

Fact: African-American men are grossly overrepresented in the penal system; however, there are more African-American males in college than in prison, as of 2011. Howard University Professor Ivory A. Toldson found in his research that enrollment of African-American males in higher education increased from 693,044 in 2001 to 1,445,194 in 2011. This myth has been used by education experts, the media and even the President, despite the fact that over the last decade, African-American boys have largely avoided the "school-to-prison" pipeline. (Source: 2013 Education Week report.)

Re: The Prison Population

Of the estimated 2 million inmates held in state or federal prison—or local jails—841,000 are African American men and is in a steady decline, for the last decade.

(Source: U.S. Department of Corrections 2009-2013 Report)

NOTE: I have no real issue with the other points you listed.

I don't think the best is to rely on a report from the US department of corrections to tell you about its own bias.
I see you priviledge "feel good" reports about america and antagonist reports about Nigeria.
Let me tell you this: no matter what you want to say, there is a report saying it, just use google. So You can't prove anything with reports.
But let me give you some perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLVPmqZ0Ywg
When people give you words like "is in a steady decline", you know they are lying, if they weren't then they would give you numbers. You have to read between the lines.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 6:00pm On Nov 02, 2014
When black americans are not being arrested by their police supposed to protect them, they are being shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9kOiiqZC7k
Oh sorry, I forgot, the US police is to protect white people only.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 6:05pm On Nov 02, 2014
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 6:08pm On Nov 02, 2014
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/04/racial-disparities-criminal-justice_n_4045144.html
"One in every three black males born today can expect to go to prison at some point in their life, compared with one in every six Latino males, and one in every 17 white males, if current incarceration trends continue."
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 02, 2014
"Hurricane", Bob Dylan.

Pistol shots ring out in the barroom night
Enter Patty Valentine from the upper hall.
She sees the bartender in a pool of blood,
Cries out, "My God, they killed them all!"
Here comes the story of the Hurricane,
The man the authorities came to blame
For somethin' that he never done.
Put in a prison cell, but one time he could-a been
The champion of the world.

Three bodies lyin' there does Patty see
And another man named Bello, movin' around mysteriously.
"I didn't do it," he says, and he throws up his hands
"I was only robbin' the register, I hope you understand.
I saw them leavin'," he says, and he stops
"One of us had better call up the cops."
And so Patty calls the cops
And they arrive on the scene with their red lights flashin'
In the hot New Jersey night.

Meanwhile, far away in another part of town
Rubin Carter and a couple of friends are drivin' around.
Number one contender for the middleweight crown
Had no idea what kinda shit was about to go down
When a cop pulled him over to the side of the road
Just like the time before and the time before that.
In Paterson that's just the way things go.
If you're black you might as well not show up on the street
'Less you want to draw the heat.

Alfred Bello had a partner and he had a rap for the cops.
Him and Arthur Dexter Bradley were just out prowlin' around
He said, "I saw two men runnin' out, they looked like middleweights
They jumped into a white car with out-of-state plates."
And Miss Patty Valentine just nodded her head.
Cop said, "Wait a minute, boys, this one's not dead"
So they took him to the infirmary
And though this man could hardly see
They told him that he could identify the guilty men.

Four in the mornin' and they haul Rubin in,
Take him to the hospital and they bring him upstairs.
The wounded man looks up through his one dyin' eye
Says, "Wha'd you bring him in here for? He ain't the guy!"
Yes, here's the story of the Hurricane,
The man the authorities came to blame
For somethin' that he never done.

Four months later, the ghettos are in flame,
Rubin's in South America, fightin' for his name
While Arthur Dexter Bradley's still in the robbery game
And the cops are puttin' the screws to him, lookin' for somebody to blame.
"Remember that murder that happened in a bar?"
"Remember you said you saw the getaway car?"
"You think you'd like to play ball with the law?"
"Think it might-a been that fighter that you saw runnin' that night?"
"Don't forget that you are white."

Arthur Dexter Bradley said, "I'm really not sure."
Cops said, "A poor boy like you could use a break
We got you for the motel job and we're talkin' to your friend Bello
Now you don't wanta have to go back to jail, be a nice fellow.
You'll be doin' society a favor.
That sonofabitch is brave and gettin' braver.
We want to put his ass in stir
We want to pin this triple murder on him
He ain't no Gentleman Jim."

Rubin could take a man out with just one punch
But he never did like to talk about it all that much.
It's my work, he'd say, and I do it for pay
And when it's over I'd just as soon go on my way
Up to some paradise
Where the trout streams flow and the air is nice
And ride a horse along a trail.
But then they took him to the jailhouse
Where they trialed a man into a mouse.

All of Rubin's cards were marked in advance
The trial was a pig-circus, he never had a chance.
The judge made Rubin's witnesses drunkards from the slums
To the white folks who watched he was a revolutionary bum
And to the black folks he was just a crazy nigger.
No one doubted that he pulled the trigger.
And though they could not produce the gun,
The D.A. said he was the one who did the deed
And the all-white jury agreed.

Rubin Carter was falsely tried.
The crime was murder "one," guess who testified?
Bello and Bradley and they both baldly lied
And the newspapers, they all went along for the ride.
How can the life of such a man
Be in the palm of some fool's hand?
To see him obviously framed
Couldn't help but make me feel ashamed to live in a land
Where justice is a game.

Now all the criminals in their coats and their ties
Are free to drink martinis and watch the sun rise
While Rubin sits like Buddha in a ten-foot cell
An innocent man in a living hell.
That's the story of the Hurricane,
But it won't be over till they clear his name
And give him back the time he's done.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 6:18pm On Nov 02, 2014
Huey P, oh Huey P ...RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j19WrVx-kS8

Stop the murder of black people, stop the murder of black people !
hear me america, stop the murder of black people !
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Pasca07: 6:21pm On Nov 02, 2014
zeongeon:
People saying that one should come back, stay back and bring change to Nigeria and that people abroad are lazy and unpatrotic...Well you forget that before change comes u look at the mindset of the people...The mindset of the people in Nigeria is all about survival people want to eat, pple are suffering and are first considering how to over come that suffering and eat food first before they think about any change...the poverty and suffering is breaking the minds of we Nigerians there by making us weak pshycologically to fight for that change rather we fight just to survive and get three square meals.

The mindset of Nigerians aren't educated we see some things as normal for example cutting corners and disobeying the law...I remember I was in a cab and we where stuck in traffic and u need to see the way pple where insulting driver and shouting that he takes one way...

Some Nigerians hate the truth and would rather suffer and be smiling.

People also forget that we humans seek fulfillment so if pple are in the usa or europe and things are working out for them and they enjoy that place and decide to stay there DON'T BLAME THEM after all pple shouting here calling pple in the usa coward and asking them there contribution to change are talking because in away naija they favour them they can afford generator, get good job, go to school, eat three square meals, change dress, have internet for nairaland...so its normal to feel settled in a place ur Favoured or Comfortable whether naija or abroad.

Have u tried going out on the streets to and see the way pple are suffering...go tell them about change and see whether they won't b mad at U and that's what poverty does wants u to just think of survival and nothing else...I believe the more our leaders loot and the more poverty increases the more pple strive to survive and the more change eludes US.

I thank God for his provisions for me in Nigeria BUT the truth is my people they suffer and citizenz abroad have a better standard of living than ours.
well said
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Raiders: 6:36pm On Nov 02, 2014
zboyd:

Re: "...30,000 Americans are killed from Gun violence"

Most Africans can barely afford to feed themselves, let alone buy a gun. But that doesn't stop Africans from dying, due to gun violence, bombings and mob violence, many times stemming from ethnic and religious violence and superstitious beliefs.
­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­___________________________________________________________________
Re: "...the killing of unarmed black mens by the police"

What of this?

Nigerian Police Brutality: Killer Cop Arrested In Lagos

The police officer that brutally shot a Makoko Waterfront community leader while on duty arrested.

Read more at: http://naijagists.com/killer-cop-arrested-in-lagos-over-makoko-brutality/

Nigerian Police Bully And Execute Defenceless Citizens

Nigeria has become one huge killing field of defenceless citizens. The killing machine is the Nigerian Police, who think it is no big deal shooting and killing the same people they are paid to protect. This absurd indulgence has existed for years without a serious attempt to bring it to an end. Every year, hundreds of citizens get killed by the police unlawfully. These killings usually go uninvestigated and unpunished.
Read more: http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/headline/119454-nigeria-police-bully-and-execute-defenceless-citizens.html#ixzz3HujGGQmP

"There are more black men in prison than in colleges and university."

Fact: African-American men are grossly overrepresented in the penal system; however, there are more African-American males in college than in prison, as of 2011. Howard University Professor Ivory A. Toldson found in his research that enrollment of African-American males in higher education increased from 693,044 in 2001 to 1,445,194 in 2011. This myth has been used by education experts, the media and even the President, despite the fact that over the last decade, African-American boys have largely avoided the "school-to-prison" pipeline. (Source: 2013 Education Week report.)

Re: The Prison Population

Of the estimated 2 million inmates held in state or federal prison—or local jails—841,000 are African American men and is in a steady decline, for the last decade.

(Source: U.S. Department of Corrections 2009-2013 Report)

NOTE: I have no real issue with the other points you listed.

I think you miss my point here. I live in the States. I didn't say Africa don't have problems or Africa is better than US. I was trying to tell the OP that US has its own set of problems just like in Africa. The OP listed the different problems facing Africa and I told him US ain't perfect too. Every country has its percular problem. There is proverty and homeless here in the states just like in Africa tho they have a better welfare system than in Africa. Do you know over 35 million Americans depend on their government for food stamp and without that millions of Americans will stave.
Some cities in US like have a higher murder and crime rate than some major Africa cities. The US has over 2 million people locked up in prison and that is more than population of most Africa countries. This means crime is a major problem in the states.
More black men would go through the prison, jail or get probation than the population of black men that will ever attend college.
Anyway, I am not trying to compare the US and Africa. Every country has its good and bad and I felt the OP post was one sided and baised. Thanks
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by zboyd: 9:17pm On Nov 02, 2014
Raiders:
I think you miss my point here. I live in the States. I didn't say Africa don't have problems or Africa is better than US. I was trying to tell the OP that US has its own set of problems just like in Africa. The OP listed the different problems facing Africa and I told him US ain't perfect too. Every country has its percular problem. There is proverty and homeless here in the states just like in Africa tho they have a better welfare system than in Africa. Do you know over 35 million Americans depend on their government for food stamp and without that millions of Americans will stave.
Some cities in US like have a higher murder and crime rate than some major Africa cities. The US has over 2 million people locked up in prison and that is more than population of most Africa countries. This means crime is a major problem in the states.
More black men would go through the prison, jail or get probation than the population of black men that will ever attend college.
Anyway, I am not trying to compare the US and Africa. Every country has its good and bad and I felt the OP post was one sided and baised. Thanks

I got your point.

However, I thought this was an opportune moment to clear up some ongoing misconceptions about Americans and AAs, especially AA men. But I see from your response that it was an exercise in futility. And although you may have not intentionally meant to compare the U.S (1 country) with Africa (54 countries), you kind of did.

When comparisons are drawn between AAs and African immigrants, why is it so uneven?

Why do some successful Africans/African immigrants insist on comparing unmotivated and unsuccessful AAs to themselves?

Wouldn't it be fairer, if successful Africans/African immigrants from 1 country are compared with successful AAs, who are also from 1 country?

Plus, Africans have what AAs will never have - their own country run by AAs.

That's what the white folks wanted for AAs, back in the day.

Does Liberia ring a bell?

How did that work out?

How is it working out now?
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by zboyd: 10:14pm On Nov 02, 2014
patriot4:
I don't think the best is to rely on a report from the US department of corrections to tell you about its own bias. I see you priviledge "feel good" reports about america and antagonist reports about Nigeria.
[quote author=patriot4 post=27667227]I don't think the best is to rely on a report from the US department of corrections to tell you about its own bias. I see you priviledge "feel good" reports about america and antagonist reports about Nigeria.
Let me tell you this: no matter what you want to say, there is a report saying it, just use google. So You can't prove anything with reports.
But let me give you some perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLVPmqZ0Ywg
When people give you words like "is in a steady decline", you know they are lying, if they weren't then they would give you numbers. You have to read between the lines.

First, you can very well rely on prison population reports over here. Accurate prison population reports have to be kept, because it all comes down to money (taxpayers' money). The government allows a certain amount money to be used to care for each prisoner. More prisoners - more money. Less prisoners - less money, based on each states' revenues. So when you pull up current reports from the Department of Corrections, any decline in the prison population is very well noted.

Second, under the FOIA (Freedom Of Information) Act, any U.S. citizen can request information/reports from almost any government agency, except for the FBI, CIA, ICE and other such governmental entities. Such information may be sensitive or pose a threat to national security, if publicized. Once declassified though, citizens can request a copy of the information they requested. Another thing, regular government audits and head counts (censuses) every 2-5 years work in tandem with the Department of Corrections. All records had better add up or the Powers That Be will launch a full investigation. If there is any wrongdoing, it will be uncovered and the guilty ones punished. NO recipient of government money wants to sweat through that.

Third, America's prison population is also declining, because the courts are gradually understanding that a hefty ticket for offenses equal to a punishment of a year or two is a better alternative than throwing the offenders in jail or prison, where they can lay up on taxpayers' money. Also, now that more states are decriminalizing marijuana, the jail and prison populations will decline even more. In Texas, depending on the judge, 1 ounce to 1 pound of marijuana could land you in lockup for 2-5 years. I marijuana cigarette could get you 6-18 months.

Fourth, my response has nothing to do with "priviledge "feel good" reports about America and antagonist reports about Nigeria." Truth is truth. Some people can handle the truth - some can't - it changes nothing. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Btw...whatever animosity/ambivalence you hold about America and Americans/AAs is your problem - no need to get in a snit about it with me.

If you want to carry that monkey on your back all your life - feel free.

I'm not getting into a free-for-all cyber rumble with you.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by zboyd: 10:36pm On Nov 02, 2014
patriot4:
When black americans are not being arrested by their police supposed to protect them, they are being shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9kOiiqZC7k
Oh sorry, I forgot, the US police is to protect white people only.

The police just can't go around shooting people and nothing done about it.

When ANY American is shot down by the police, the Internal Affairs Department, within the police department will temporarily suspend the offending cop/s. After the full investigation is over, the officers are either acquitted, reinstated, fired, resign voluntarily or are imprisoned. One thing prosecuted cops fear most is ending up in lock up. Word spreads quickly, when the prisoner is a cop. Worse, if said cop ends up in the same prison as that of someone he was instrumental in sending to prison.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 11:06pm On Nov 02, 2014
zboyd:

The police just can't go around shooting people and nothing done about it.
When ANY American is shot down by the police, the Internal Affairs Department, within the police department will temporarily suspend the offending cop/s. After the full investigation is over, the officers are either acquitted, reinstated, fired, resign voluntarily or are imprisoned. One thing prosecuted cops fear most is ending up in lock up. Word spreads quickly, when the prisoner is a cop. Worse, if said cop ends up in the same prison as that of someone he was instrumental in sending to prison.
Do you really want me to blieve that a common civilian like george zimmerman can get away with murdering a black kid while a sworn officer of the law can't ?
Actually, that is a rhetorical question I know you are wrong, there are too many riots in the USA which happened because policemen who shot unarmed black men were acquited. What you are saying is more likely to apply if the person shot by the police is white.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by ogele: 11:30pm On Nov 02, 2014
spectroscopic:
I have always been thinking:

Is the African culture part of the problem of Africa? Africans are family-oriented but not society-oriented.
They build individual families but have not been able to string that together to develop their societies. Because of their familism (meaning penchant for family), the financial head of a family is forced to ''work'' for members of his immediate and extended family. A western professor of mine who lived extensively in Africa once told me that family problems are one of the main reasons why middle class Africans are as good as poor. I had argued with him back then with a fervor bothering on pan Africanism, but now I know better.

There is so much dependency that, oftentimes, the bread winner has to steal public money to satisfy his family's needs. Relatives troop in and out, putting people under pressure to give and give and give. Now with smart phones, Facebook and twitter, they come in your face on cyberspace with requests. There is now no hiding place, except you get off cyberspace. It is such that even if you earn a good monthly pay, you end up an impoverished employed person, month in, month out.

There is total lack of the culture to compete for the common good. In contrast, there is breath-taking competition to be corrupt and to be able to lord it over others with the stolen wealth. On top of that, there is the tendency to blame others for African problems.

They say it's due to colonialism and slavery. But hey!! Indonesia, India, Pakistan, Philippines, and virtually all South American countries were colonized too. Indians were enslaved by the Dutch and taken to Suriname in South America. These people and countries have since moved on, and have become self-sustaining in many development indices that African countries can only dream of. But Africa remains the basket case of the world, beset with hunger, malnutrition, grinding poverty and disease. Moreover, Ethiopia and Liberia were never colonized. Are they any better than the colonized African countries?

Even ordinary Ebola, Africans cannot contain on their own after 40 whole years of its first discovery in remote Central Africa. Admitted that Nigeria was able to achieve that feat. But it was largely mother nature at work for them. One is regaled with images of dirt and squalor on Western media covering the Ebola crisis in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone. From those images you would conclude every single individual in those countries are dirt poor and live under the most horrible sanitary conditions. But there are presidents and leaders governing these countries. There are the rich and mighty. Have they been sleeping?

What excuse does Africa have to remain poor, dirty and a perpetual underdog? Africans on the street often say their leaders are corrupt. But leadership does not exist in a vacuum. Every leader was once a follower, and many new leaders, just followers a few years ago, have become even more corrupt than veteran leaders. How can you get good leaders from bad followers? The question then is, are Africans naturally wired to be what they are today?

What is the role being played by religion in certain African countries such as Nigeria? Virtually all the prosperous countries are those not overly enmeshed in all sorts of religion in equal numbers. They are either 100% (at least nearly so) Christians, 100% (at least nearly so) Muslims, or completely devoid of any religious affiliations. Nigeria has pursued the path of mixed religiosity in equal measure; yet all the religions that Africans ''die'' for are foreign to them. Why do they bear religion on their shoulders with unprecedented burdensomeness?

Election is coming up in Nigeria and everyone has become entrenched in their primordial positions. Common sense has been thrown to the dogs, and failed leaders, past and present, are doing all they can to recycle themselves. They throw crumbs at you and you fall hook, line and sinker for them. Where is the rallying for intellectualism and leadership quality? Where is Fasola, Utomi and the rest of the few good ones? Why are they not contesting and why is there no one promoting their candidacy? You all, ordinary Nigerians, have either been bought over by the corrupt and bigoted elites on both sides of the divide, or you are too ignorant and loving of the status quo to know any better.

Today, the president of Burkina Faso was chased out, and the parliament building set on fire. It was all because that president, despite having stayed 27 or so years in power, was angling to stay longer and sought to be backed up by lawmakers. That is the African system most like to live with.

Well, so much for my rambling. I just wanted to share what I have bottled up all these years.

PS: Today, I received my US citizenship; I am glad that I did, but I am not giving up on Nigeria and Africa, not yet.
I find it difficult when non Nigerians rant about Nigeria... In as much as i know you are not a Nigeria... Face your Ebola stricken country. Bleep you

1 Like

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 4:51am On Nov 03, 2014
zboyd:
Look, what you fail to understand is that it was the expression "steady decline" which I called a lie.
When you know politicians well enough you will notice that when the numbers are bad, they will not give them, instead they will give some expression like "steady decline", which is a personnal appreciation as opposed to an objectif observation. And by that you should understand that someone is telling a lie. And also for your info, I have no problem against african americans (except those who call africans names), I am actually a great fan of MAlcolm X, MArtin Luther King and Huey P Newton. I appreciate many american artists, but not your politicians.
The following report contradicts all your "feel good" claims:
patriot4:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/04/racial-disparities-criminal-justice_n_4045144.html
"One in every three black males born today can expect to go to prison at some point in their life, compared with one in every six Latino males, and one in every 17 white males, if current incarceration trends continue."
I think you are exactly one of the people who can't face the truth, and I urge you to face the truth.
The truth is that black people need to unite, and act as brothers because we are despised, we are despised for being black. It doesn't matter if you are an african american or an african, you are black and that is all they see. No matter how well you dress or how rich you are, all they see is the colour of your skin, so let us unite and make them know that there is greatness in the black skin !
If we were united and we get our act together then you could have a situation in which the AU could defend african americans against racism in the USA. Uniity is strenght.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by zboyd: 5:46am On Nov 03, 2014
patriot4:

Do you really want me to blieve that a common civilian like george zimmerman can get away with murdering a black kid while a sworn officer of the law can't? Actually, that is a rhetorical question I know you are wrong, there are too many riots in the USA which happened because policemen who shot unarmed black men were acquited. What you are saying is more likely to apply if the person shot by the police is white.

Welcome to the dark side of the U.S.!

Across America, after shooting an unarmed civilian to death, police officers for the most part, are neither indicted nor convicted for the criminal charges brought against them. The rate of conviction is extremely low and this is true even for cases where the shooting was ruled ‘unconstitutional,’ by the Supreme Court. It goes without saying that the vast majority of these civilians who have lost their lives in such altercations are African American. In fact, the FBI claims that, every week nearly two black people are killed by a white police officer. (Source: theliterati.com)

However, there are some white police officers that have been punished for the shooting deaths of unarmed AAs.

Notable Cases:

Peaceful Vigil Marks 5-Year Anniversary Of Oscar Grant’s Shooting Death

OAKLAND (KCBS)— Demonstrators gathered Wednesday afternoon for a peaceful vigil in Oakland to mark the five-year anniversary of the shooting death of Oscar Grant who was killed by a BART police officer at the Fruitvale Station on New Year’s Day.

Read more here: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/01/01/peaceful-vigil-held-on-5-year-anniversary-of-oscar-grants-shooting-death/
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
White S.C. Cop Fired, Charged After Shooting Unarmed Black Man

A South Carolina state trooper has been arrested and charged with assault and battery for shooting an unarmed Black man during a traffic stop earlier this month.

Read more here: http://www.diversityinc.com/news/white-s-c-cop-fired-charged-shooting-unarmed-black-man/

Video of shooting here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AwfExUyJLNw
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Marijuana raid leaves unarmed New Orleans man dead in his home

NEW ORLEANS, LA — An officer has plead guilty to manslaughter following the shooting and killing of an unarmed man in his own home during a deadly NOPD raid last year. This rare instance of police accountability is marred by the fact that no law or policy changes have been made, assuredly setting the stage for more violent confrontations in the name of drug prohibition.

Read more here: http://www.policestateusa.com/2013/wendell-allen-deadly-nopd-raid/
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
New Orleans officers sentenced from 6-65 years for shooting

(CNN) — A federal judge Wednesday sentenced five former New Orleans police officers to prison terms ranging from six to 65 years for the shootings of unarmed civilians in the chaotic aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, prosecutors said.

Read more here: http://wtvr.com/2012/04/04/new-orleans-police-officers-could-face-decades-in-prison-for-cover-up-shootings/ ______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Former cops still reeling 7 years after Sean Bell horror

Former NYPD Officer Michael is grayer than he used to be, though it’s hard to tell if it’s from age or the fallout of the Sean Bell shooting.

Read more here: http://nypost.com/2013/11/30/former-cops-still-reeling-7-years-after-sean-bell-horror/
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Official: NYPD officer charged in shooting of unarmed man

NEW YORK – A New York Police Department officer has been indicted in the shooting in February of an unarmed man who was pursued into his Bronx home amid a crackdown on street corner drug dealing, according to a law enforcement official.

Read more here: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/12/official-nypd-officer-charged-in-shooting-unarmed-man/
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
North Carolina police officer indicted in shooting of unarmed man

(Reuters) - A North Carolina police officer accused of shooting and killing an unarmed man was indicted on Monday on a voluntary manslaughter charge, one week after a separate grand jury decided against indicting him.

Read more here: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/28/us-usa-ncarolina-police-idUSBREA0R00820140128
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sometimes it's best to look before you leap.

1 Like

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by zboyd: 5:58am On Nov 03, 2014
patriot4:

Look, what you fail to understand is that it was the expression "steady decline" which I called a lie.
When you know politicians well enough you will notice that when the numbers are bad, they will not give them, instead they will give some expression like "steady decline", which is a personnal appreciation as opposed to an objectif observation. And by that you should understand that someone is telling a lie. And also for your info, I have no problem against african americans (except those who call africans names), I am actually a great fan of MAlcolm X, MArtin Luther King and Huey P Newton. I appreciate many american artists, but not your politicians.
The following report contradicts all your "feel good" claims:
I think you are exactly one of the people who can't face the truth, and I urge you to face the truth.
The truth is that black people need to unite, and act as brothers because we are despised, we are despised for being black. It doesn't matter if you are an african american or an african, you are black and that is all they see. No matter how well you dress or how rich you are, all they see is the colour of your skin, so let us unite and make them know that there is greatness in the black skin !
If we were united and we get our act together then you could have a situation in which the AU could defend african americans against racism in the USA. Uniity is strenght.

Ummm...I was born here. I'm quite aware of the truth, straight up, no chaser, when it comes to this country.

White cops shooting unarmed AAs and others is nothing new but the rising number of convictions against them is new. With every instance of this type of shooting, white folks brace for the worst.

Over here...

...when white folks are ticked off they riot at the polls...but black folks riot in the streets.
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by zboyd: 6:31am On Nov 03, 2014
patriot4:

You said in Message #287 of this thread that "there are more black men in prison than in colleges and university" which was untrue and I showed you why and backed it up.

Then you changed things up and revised your claim in Message #297 by saying: "The US has over 2 million people locked up in prison and that is more than population of most Africa countries." No AA males or other minority males was mentioned.

Make up your mind.

Anyway, with courts using common sense and becoming more and more non-biased, when it comes to sentencing, laws regarding marijuana being changed across the country and more young men choosing to avoid ending up as 'slaves' on the 'new plantations' (prisons), the prison populations will continue to slowly decline.

How could they not?
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by tpia6: 8:08am On Nov 03, 2014
patriot4:

i wonder.

as if "steady decline" is considered a good thing?
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 4:45pm On Nov 03, 2014
spectroscopic:
I have always been thinking:

Is the African culture part of the problem of Africa? Africans are family-oriented but not society-oriented.
They build individual families but have not been able to string that together to develop their societies. Because of their familism (meaning penchant for family), the financial head of a family is forced to ''work'' for members of his immediate and extended family. A western professor of mine who lived extensively in Africa once told me that family problems are one of the main reasons why middle class Africans are as good as poor. I had argued with him back then with a fervor bothering on pan Africanism, but now I know better.

There is so much dependency that, oftentimes, the bread winner has to steal public money to satisfy his family's needs. Relatives troop in and out, putting people under pressure to give and give and give. Now with smart phones, Facebook and twitter, they come in your face on cyberspace with requests. There is now no hiding place, except you get off cyberspace. It is such that even if you earn a good monthly pay, you end up an impoverished employed person, month in, month out.

There is total lack of the culture to compete for the common good. In contrast, there is breath-taking competition to be corrupt and to be able to lord it over others with the stolen wealth. On top of that, there is the tendency to blame others for African problems.

They say it's due to colonialism and slavery. But hey!! Indonesia, India, Pakistan, Philippines, and virtually all South American countries were colonized too. Indians were enslaved by the Dutch and taken to Suriname in South America. These people and countries have since moved on, and have become self-sustaining in many development indices that African countries can only dream of. But Africa remains the basket case of the world, beset with hunger, malnutrition, grinding poverty and disease. Moreover, Ethiopia and Liberia were never colonized. Are they any better than the colonized African countries?

Even ordinary Ebola, Africans cannot contain on their own after 40 whole years of its first discovery in remote Central Africa. Admitted that Nigeria was able to achieve that feat. But it was largely mother nature at work for them. One is regaled with images of dirt and squalor on Western media covering the Ebola crisis in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone. From those images you would conclude every single individual in those countries are dirt poor and live under the most horrible sanitary conditions. But there are presidents and leaders governing these countries. There are the rich and mighty. Have they been sleeping?

What excuse does Africa have to remain poor, dirty and a perpetual underdog? Africans on the street often say their leaders are corrupt. But leadership does not exist in a vacuum. Every leader was once a follower, and many new leaders, just followers a few years ago, have become even more corrupt than veteran leaders. How can you get good leaders from bad followers? The question then is, are Africans naturally wired to be what they are today?

What is the role being played by religion in certain African countries such as Nigeria? Virtually all the prosperous countries are those not overly enmeshed in all sorts of religion in equal numbers. They are either 100% (at least nearly so) Christians, 100% (at least nearly so) Muslims, or completely devoid of any religious affiliations. Nigeria has pursued the path of mixed religiosity in equal measure; yet all the religions that Africans ''die'' for are foreign to them. Why do they bear religion on their shoulders with unprecedented burdensomeness?

Election is coming up in Nigeria and everyone has become entrenched in their primordial positions. Common sense has been thrown to the dogs, and failed leaders, past and present, are doing all they can to recycle themselves. They throw crumbs at you and you fall hook, line and sinker for them. Where is the rallying for intellectualism and leadership quality? Where is Fasola, Utomi and the rest of the few good ones? Why are they not contesting and why is there no one promoting their candidacy? You all, ordinary Nigerians, have either been bought over by the corrupt and bigoted elites on both sides of the divide, or you are too ignorant and loving of the status quo to know any better.

Today, the president of Burkina Faso was chased out, and the parliament building set on fire. It was all because that president, despite having stayed 27 or so years in power, was angling to stay longer and sought to be backed up by lawmakers. That is the African system most like to live with.

Well, so much for my rambling. I just wanted to share what I have bottled up all these years.

PS: Today, I received my US citizenship; I am glad that I did, but I am not giving up on Nigeria and Africa, not yet.

Congra OP for the US citizenship which is one of the most sought after. Some people can even sell their own life just to make it to the United States.

Anyway, many people who didn't agree with your post are only motivated by jealousy. They are jealous that you have become a US citizen. Don't mind those people. Enjoy your freedom in the US and don't forget Africa.

1 Like

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 03, 2014
patriot4:
OK, spectroscopic, I think you need to listen a little bit to what some people are trying very hard to tell you.
Many people here also have US or an EU citizenship. They just don't boast about it because it doesn't make them special and they don't see anything special in it. The colour of your skin and your DNA doesn't change after you are given US citizenship. Your ancestors are still Nigerians.
Your relatives are still Nigerians.

The fact is that people like me and many others commenting know one thing: No matter where you go and no matter what you do, you are a Nigerian and if you forget then they will remind you of it.
My friend, your write up shows that because of your new us citizenship, you seem to think you are somewhat superior to the rest. You took the position of the guy who has made it and who is passing judgement on the l osers who didn't make it.
instead of boasting about your US citizenship (which is just a paper and is not special in any sense), you should rather be planning on how to help Nigerians and promote Nigeria's image. If you have a well paid job in the US then why not save up and come back and open your own business in Nigeria, like that you will make a lot of money and create jobs and services for your brothers.
I believe an American president said "don't ask yourself what your country can do for you, ask yourself what you can do for your country".
R[b]ight now you are euphoric because you have just been given us citizenship, but as time goes by you will join the club of disillusionned naturalized people[/b]. Because, if you look around you then you will see that each one of those guys also have the us citizenship, including the beggars, the mentally ill, the terrorist (which is an other type of insane person), the suicide victim and the prisoner and the guy being discriminated against.
America is a special country in which the whites are racist against black people and the African americans are racist against the Africans. Yes African americans do not consider themselves africans and they like to call Africans names like African booty scratcher.
If you want to survive the upcoming years with pride and honour intact then never forget who you are and where you are from.
Nigeria for life !
Nigeria is the only country you can really call your own (at least without fealing like a liar or a moral prostitute)

Patriot4,

Calling a US Citizenship a paper that isn't special just proves that you have bad faith. There are many things one can achieve by just the mere fact of been a US Citizen. Do you know how far a US passport can take you? Just take a look in the travel section and see how many posts are about getting a visa to the US. Look at how many people around the world are ready to sell even their own selves to make it to the United States. And you are here telling the world that a US citizenship is just a meaningless paper My man, I can't believe you are writing something like that. Okay, the US citizenship can be a meaningless paper to you but not to the majority of people around the globe.

Why do you have to mention that he is still a Nigerian, his ancestors are still Nigerians and his relatives are still Nigerians ? Did he say the opposite? The OP had indicated himself that he has dual citizenship. One thing for sure is that his children will be US citizens. His children children will be US citizen AND NOT NIGERIAN. And maybe one of his offspring will be the next president of the United States of America. OP is holding something that many people around the world are dreaming of.

You further indicated that the OP is euphoric because he has just been given us citizenship, but as time goes by he will join the club of disillusioned naturalized people. What a joke!!! The OP must have lived in the US for a number of years to be a US citizen. That means, if he have to join the club of disillusioned people, he should have done so while he was a permanent resident. You don't need to be a US citizen to be frustrated about life in the US. One thing for sure is that the OP was frustrated about life in Nigeria. Please, don't frustrate him more

1 Like

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by black247: 6:25pm On Nov 03, 2014
coded01:

I can't remember the last time I read a full script like yours but you are a "PERSPICACIOUS MAN"... wink

I wish we all can stand up & do the needful to make Nigeria & Africa a better place if not the best place in the World... cool

Oh my brother!! Thank you, my man!! I am still growing and learning - lot to learn!! Thank you very much black man.

Yes!! We must do it!! I believe in us, a dreamer? Maybe - but at least you, I and the rest are dreaming among the greatest of men! I am glad that I am not alone! One Africa! One black mighty continent! Global freedom for black Africans around the world! We shall not be moved! Our minority thinking will be the majority, one day.

2 Likes

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 7:01pm On Nov 03, 2014
TheCongo:

Patriot4,

Calling a US Citizenship a paper that isn't special just proves that you have bad faith. There are many things one can achieve by just the mere fact of been a US Citizen. Do you know how far a US passport can take you? Just take a look in the travel section and see how many posts are about getting a visa to the US. Look at how many people around the world are ready to sell even their own selves to make it to the United States. And you are here telling the world that a US citizenship is just a meaningless paper My man, I can't believe you are writing something like that. Okay, the US citizenship can be a meaningless paper to you but not to the majority of people around the globe.

Why do you have to mention that he is still a Nigerian, his ancestors are still Nigerians and his relatives are still Nigerians ? Did he say the opposite? The OP had indicated himself that he has dual citizenship. One thing for sure is that his children will be US citizens. His children children will be US citizen AND NOT NIGERIAN. And maybe one of his offspring will be the next president of the United States of America. OP is holding something that many people around the world are dreaming of.

You further indicated that the OP is euphoric because he has just been given us citizenship, but as time goes by he will join the club of disillusioned naturalized people. What a joke!!! The OP must have lived in the US for a number of years to be a US citizen. That means, if he have to join the club of disillusioned people, he should have done so while he was a permanent resident. You don't need to be a US citizen to be frustrated about life in the US. One thing for sure is that the OP was frustrated about life in Nigeria. Please, don't frustrate him more

I guess whenthe US economy crashes then his descendents would be relocating to an other country with a better economy.
It is funny how many people love and praise behaviours which are those of parasites. A parasite is to me a person who is not interested in building a nation, but interested in reeping the fruits of the hardlabour of other people. And francly parasites hardly go far in life.
How can you call yourself a human being if your dream is to wash away all that makes you a human being. It is Nigeria which makes the op a human being, and that Nigeria did by providing him ancestors and an identity. The US on the other hand might provide him obezity and dreams.
But reality is often far away from dreams. I garanty you that his children have a bigger chance of becoming inmates than that of becoming president of the US, by the way i don't know when any other person with a black father will reach the position of US president, but my guess is this: not in our lifetime. The whites have given you your lollipop, I guess you just have to keep its taste in your mouth when you are being locked up or when obama presidency is over and his anti-black policies are used as precedents by the new white guy in charge. (the worst of all is that you wouldn't be allowed to call the white guy a racist, because obama paved the way for him) Obama is such a funny guy, he recieves nobel peace prizes for nothing and he is loved by black people for the simple reason that he is half black and president of the usa. It doesn't matter that Obama's policies have been more anti-black than Clinton and bush together, you just love him. Francly, I was one of those using the social media to promote him, but since he was elected the US and Africa have lost their link and he has stopped the war on terror to the advantage of terrorists who his policies strangely keep siding.
Thanks to Obama Nigeria has changed its strategic alliance from USA to Russia and China. Francly if I were blind then i would automatically think obama were a white guy (with some racist tendencies towards Africa).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 7:20pm On Nov 03, 2014
patriot4:

I guess whenthe US economy crashes then his descendents would be relocating to an other country with a better economy.
It is funny how many people love and praise behaviours which are those of parasites. A parasite is to me a person who is not interested in building a nation, but interested in reeping the fruits of the hardlabour of other people. And francly parasites hardly go far in life.
How can you call yourself a human being if your dream is to wash away all that makes you a human being. It is Nigeria which makes the op a human being, and that Nigeria did by providing him ancestors and an identity. The US on the other hand might provide him obezity and dreams.
But reality is often far away from dreams[b]. I garanty you that his children have a bigger chance of becoming inmates than that of becoming president of the US, by the way i don't know when any other person with a black father will reach the position of US president, but my guess is this: not in our lifetime.[/b] The whites have given you your lollipop, I guess you just have to keep its taste in your mouth when you are being locked up or when obama presidency is over and his anti-black policies are used as precedents by the new white guy in charge. (the worst of all is that you wouldn't be allowed to call the white guy a racist, because obama paved the way for him) Obama is such a funny guy, he recieves nobel peace prizes for nothing and he is loved by black people for the simple reason that he is half black and president of the usa. No matter the fact that Obama's polices have been more anti-black than Clinton and bush together, you just love him. Francly, I was one of those using the social media to promote him, but since he was elected the US and Africa have lost their link and he has stopped the war on terror to the advantage of terrorists who his policies strangely keep siding.
Thanks to Obama Nigeria has changed its strategic lliance from USA to Russia and China. Francly if I were blind then i would automatically think obama were a white guy (with some racist tendencies towards Africa).

I remember in 2005 I was debating with people who were saying that we will never live to see a person with a black father become a US president. And then come 2008.

Today, Patriot4 is writing this:
i don't know when any other person with a black father will reach the position of US president, but my guess is this: not in our lifetime.

One question for you. If i gave up my citizenship to become Nigerian, would you call me a parasite?
Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 7:33pm On Nov 03, 2014
TheCongo:

I remember in 2005 I was debating with people who were saying that we will never live to see a person with a black father become a US president. And then come 2008.

Today, Patriot4 is writing this:
i don't know when any other person with a black father will reach the position of US president, but my guess is this: not in our lifetime.

One question for you. If i gave up my citizenship to become Nigerian, would you call me a parasite?
Keep your citizenship, I have nothing against those who carry it. But renouncing your identity is the worse kind of insult you could tell your ancestors. Do not expect your citizenship to open doors for you, it is all about hard work in life. Work hard and be great, no matter where you are and no matter what citizenship you carry. We black people need to thrieve for greatness and also to be united (much like the jews are united), unity is greatness.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Pasca07: 7:43pm On Nov 03, 2014
patriot4:

Keep your citizenship, I have nothing against those who carry it. But renouncing your identity is the worse kind of insult you could tell your ancestors. Do not expect your citizenship to open doors for you, it is all about hard work in life. Work hard and be great, no matter where you are and no matter what citizenship you carry. We black people need to thrieve for greatness and also to be united (much like the jews are united), unity is greatness.
hard work doesn't pay that much in naija that was the reason why ur uncle stayed in US till today to make more money from the country u hate....

3 Likes

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 8:17pm On Nov 03, 2014
Pasca07:
hard work doesn't pay that much in naija that was the reason why ur uncle stayed in US till today to make more money from the country u hate....
Actually you are quite wrong. An other of my uncles stayed in Nigeria and became an engineer, he works in the oil industry and earns much more than my uncle in the USA. My uncle in the USA studied medecin there and was almost immidiately recruited in a high paying office, from there he made his plans which are ongoing. So hard work, no matter where you are will archieve you greatness. An other of my uncles got homesick and went back to Nigeria. Hard work is hard work, it pays.

1 Like

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by black247: 8:19pm On Nov 03, 2014
zboyd:

I got your point.

However, I thought this was an opportune moment to clear up some ongoing misconceptions about Americans and AAs, especially AA men. But I see from your response that it was an exercise in futility. And although you may have not intentionally meant to compare the U.S (1 country) with Africa (54 countries), you kind of did.

When comparisons are drawn between AAs and African immigrants, why is it so uneven?

Why do some successful Africans/African immigrants insist on comparing unmotivated and unsuccessful AAs to themselves?

Wouldn't it be fairer, if successful Africans/African immigrants from 1 country are compared with successful AAs, who are also from 1 country?

Plus, Africans have what AAs will never have - their own country run by AAs.

That's what the white folks wanted for AAs, back in the day.

Does Liberia ring a bell?

How did that work out?

How is it working out now?

I agree with his position and what Patriot4 is saying. I think he is presenting his argument impeccably. I will present why I feel so below.

It may seem as though I am contradicting him because I agree with you on the following point, but Im not:

For now, I believe that Africans cant compare progress with a minority group - even if they are genetically our cousins:

Just wanted to respond on the basis of what I have learned (historical reference to liberia is what I mean here) and perhaps you can correct me with any details that I am overlooking because: comparing a minority group in a white run country to a black ran country in it of itself is a red herring. That is like us comparing our continent to the caribbean islands. What he was "comparing" was a white run country benefitting from exploiting black African bodies, in my humble opinion. And everything that you see - there, in my opinion, is because of the continuous exploitation of African men and women - so there is no golden mecca that OP was going to...If it is a mecca it has African blood in every crevice.

You will see why I put quotes around comparing.

Just wanted to add what I learned recently:

Liberia - the natives in Liberia kicked some of them (AA) out, didn't want them and called them unAfrican. Many African Americans came back to the US disillusioned, not liking Africa or what it could bring. I have to get the mans name that fled for his life. Ive been studying the diaspora, the only thing I have to study next is Belize and Haiti. As far as Liberia? The ones that were the sell outs, they (our liberian family) made deals with them..and had the mulattos and former house negroes run their country - kicking out those that thought like Marcus Garvey, someone who is more astute in this subject will give me the name of the man they kicked out, for they thought the Marcus Garvey talk was not beneficial. There was a group that said they were from the Congo..and if i am not mistaken, they were not accepted either. There are three different groups..I believe. The Liberians let the sell outs run the country until the 80s. Yet, they told the pan africans to get lost. I hope someone will give a decent amendment including the timelines and names.

For proper comparison of progress, imo, we should compare ourselves to India - and we are doing much better. Our colonial circumstances are much more similar to India. I would have to pull up a world global report, but if my memory didnt fail me - we had very positive key indicators that showed us excelling..

I am learning a true metric for AA progress is in comparison to their Caribbean Islanders brothers and sisters (which is our brothers and sisters too - to me, they all are) as they were all enslaved the same. Yet, the good man patriot4 in my opinion wasnt offering a comparative analysis, he was offering a critical analysis of that country (the US) and the men and women who were once African..how they are doing, what rights are removed, and what they are still fighting for. For example, if the OP was to say that he was happy to be in Australia...what about the exploitation of the aboriginees? But a better comparison for me would be if the OP said he was moving to France ..or a middle eastern country..they too benefited from us being totally destabilized.

But a perfect comparison and actual illustration in this thread is to show how the US feels about not only AAS but black Africans - period, hence the anti-black laws should be examined, and contrasted. And I think he (patroit4) did just that, in my humble opinion. He illustrated disparities, further offering a critical analysis of the united states as it deals with black African bodies. Further, he pointed out not just by race relations, he illustrated via foreign policies ie Obama.

I also think the OP was trying to awaken us so that we create critical initiatives because I believe one of our brothers is right, immigration has a ceremony and approval at specific times per year. His other thread offered solutions, but even if his accounts were fictional to prove a point, Im glad we all participated..for there is someone out there - that thinks like what he pretended to be, I guarantee it.

1 Like

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by black247: 8:20pm On Nov 03, 2014
patriot4:

But reality is often far away from dreams. I garanty you that his children have a bigger chance of becoming inmates than that of becoming president of the US, by the way i don't know when any other person with a black father will reach the position of US president, but my guess is this: not in our lifetime. The whites have given you your lollipop, I guess you just have to keep its taste in your mouth when you are being locked up or when obama presidency is over and his anti-black policies are used as precedents by the new white guy in charge. (the worst of all is that you wouldn't be allowed to call the white guy a racist, because obama paved the way for him) Obama is such a funny guy, he recieves nobel peace prizes for nothing and he is loved by black people for the simple reason that he is half black and president of the usa. It doesn't matter that Obama's polices have been more anti-black than Clinton and bush together, you just love him. Francly, I was one of those using the social media to promote him, but since he was elected the US and Africa have lost their link and he has stopped the war on terror to the advantage of terrorists who his policies strangely keep siding.
Thanks to Obama Nigeria has changed its strategic lliance from USA to Russia and China. Francly if I were blind then i would automatically think obama were a white guy (with some racist tendencies towards Africa).

Preach!!!!

1 Like

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Pasca07: 8:46pm On Nov 03, 2014
patriot4:
Actually you are quite wrong. An other of my uncles stayed in Nigeria and became an engineer, he works in the oil industry and earns much more than my uncle in the USA. My uncle in the USA studied medecin there and was almost immidiately recruited in a high paying office, from there he made his plans which are ongoing. So hard work, no matter where you are will archieve you greatness. An other of my uncles got homesick and went back to Nigeria. Hard work is hard work, it pays.
look when it comes to nigeria factor not everyone is priviledge to work in oil firm,what about those that are working in lebanese company?after working for long hours of 12 hrs per/day with a meagry pay of 17k-23k per/month in a bad working condition with no insurance in our country......what can u say to dis?like i said earlier ur uncle knew he can't cope at federal hospitals in nigeria dat was the reason why he stayed in US......stop using little percentage of ppl working in oil company to prove a point.....

1 Like

Re: I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa by Nobody: 9:47pm On Nov 03, 2014
Pasca07:
look when it comes to nigeria factor not everyone is priviledge to work in oil firm,what about those that are working in lebanese company?after working for long hours of 12 hrs per/day with a meagry pay of 17k-23k per/month in a bad working condition with no insurance in our country......what can u say to dis?like i said earlier ur uncle knew he can't cope at federal hospitals in nigeria dat was the reason why he stayed in US......stop using little percentage of ppl working in oil company to prove a point.....
Look, I come from a familly with a lot of succesful family members in different locations, it is all about hard work, wherever you are and especialley in Nigeria. My uncle who went back to Nigeria told my father he regretted not using his money to open his own business in Nigeria rather than making the airline company fatter with his life earnings and suffering just to be recognized as a man with rights to live in a foreign land. How many Africans have I seen become crazy or beggars or prostitues in europe. Most of them had a lot of money which they used to buy the plane ticket, instead of opening their own business at home and making the country better for themselves and for the unborn. And for your info, my uncle was granted a scholarship in the USA while he was refused in the prestigious Nigerian university he wanted (in those days Nigerian universities were top notch, and they will become like that in the near future). If he hhad studied in Nigeria and had been offered a job in a hospital in Nigeria, he would have refused the US offer. he was just not good enough back then, because the level was very high in Nigeria. (My uncle's first choice wasn't even medecin, I can't remember what it was though, i need to ask him on the phone the next time I talk to him.)

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Amina Mohammed Drives Bulldozer During Sanitation In Abuja Today (Photos) / Apc Group, Pdp, Sdp, Obasanjo’s Cnm, Others To Form New Party / 2019: Sanwo-olu, Hamzat Indigenes Of Ogun — PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 243
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.