Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,706 members, 7,816,904 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:49 PM

Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency (13762 Views)

Nigeria GDP Confirms What Central Bank Denies: Naira Hurts / Football Betting System That Guarantees No Loss Of Bet Capital And Steady Profit / MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by Scout60(m): 10:10pm On Oct 31, 2014
majekdom2:
an employee pays tax also .
yes
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by Scout60(m): 10:20pm On Oct 31, 2014
majekdom2:
stop ranting business like you have been doing it since the time of jesus .... is it every nigerian that have access to the kind of money needed to start a business or is it in your house you will start a business . there are people who live less on a hundred naira per day in naija , with no help from friends and families ... how do they start . if everybody in naija owns a business who is going to work for you in your business . please there are things we should look into properly before we just rant entrepreneurship. dont you need capital to start small . even the microfinance banks dont just give you facilities.
Notin can hinder ur sucess provided u re hardworking and sharp nd with vision. some rich men were poor b4 including gej who even went to school without shoes., wat of olamide, phyno who bore hunger just to make sure that they music sells.
There are many ways to raise capital such as donations, hawking, truck pushing etc.
I still believe in my theory, if u re born, is not ur making, but f u die poor, u re to be blame.
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by Nobody: 10:26pm On Oct 31, 2014
Scout60:

Notin can hinder ur sucess provided u re hardworking and sharp nd with vision. some rich men were poor b4 including gej who even went to school without shoes., wat of olamide, phyno who bore hunger just to make sure that they music sells.
There are many ways to raise capital such as donations, hawking, truck pushing etc.
I still believe in my theory, if u re born, is not ur making, but f u die poor, u re to be blame.
great theory ... .no excuse for failure I agree . but dont make it sound starting and running a business is an easy thing in Nigeria . he never said he is not ready to work . his complaints were no jobs which is true .and please we all know jonathan did not get there because he was so hardworking , I havent read any of my president's book . isnt that saddening. if all the jobless graduates start hawking ,or pushing truck will there be enough customers . you should see that we need to put things in order really.
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by DONOCSO(m): 10:36pm On Oct 31, 2014
PDD Paper Network Illustration and Manipulation
see how to get more customers here http://blog.sureguys.com/get-clients
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by Nobody: 1:12am On Nov 01, 2014
These illiterates here shouting "Jonathan till 2019" must be getting paid to say this on every blog, article and social media. The man has basically done nothing since 2009 (Yes, Yaradua was on his sick bed) yet these people still want him as president.

GDP is on the rise yet, we are not self sufficient, unemployment rate is rising, our currency is losing value every passing day? This is just a political scheme.
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by Nobody: 1:28am On Nov 01, 2014
bushdoc9919:
So, we want Nigeria's GDP to rise?

Well,as you know...I do not rejoice at the news that our GDP is rising( We all know it is because of oil).

Well, here is the road to a proper GDP rise.

1.First, we have to correct the notion that we are a rich country. We are not. We just produce oil in amounts less than that of the UAE...and we have to share it amongst 170 MILLION people (while the UAE has just 8 million folks).

2.We have to end the fuel subsidy, take 30% of every state's allawi, and increase taxes on every multimillionaire in Nigeria...and use the money for extra spending on technical education, power , public transport, and health.

3.We need to encourage more young people to go to techncial school. Because strong nations have a high number of qualified technicians. Weak nations just have overpriced clerks.

4.We need to get every state to use their resources to develop industries....that would produce world beater goods and serivices. The North can develop a biofuel and industrial chemicals industry from the waste generated by maize production every year.(as an example)

5. We need to really really deal with corruption. One thing I don't like about Nigerians is that they attack corruption when it is not theit tribe or religion. The corrupt affect all of us.

6. We need to change our mentality. The Govt does not owe us a living. We should use our education to solve local problems. It is on that simple note that many companies that are today's global leaders started.

Nigerians....better sit up...and stop parading those over-bloated certificates you call degrees or diplomas. Use that education.

Oil is a curse.

You've won the Internet for the day
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by koikoi2(m): 5:54am On Nov 01, 2014
I think we need a double digit growth.
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by GoodcasHMan: 9:43am On Nov 01, 2014
I THOUGHT THAT THE MEANING OF GDP - IS GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT,
what we are able to produce in a given period
a N d with
1. NO INDUSTRY
2 NO EMPLOYMENT
3 NO ELECTRICITY
4 WITH HIGH CORRUPTION POLICY ( until the Judiciary are able to tell us the difference between Corruption and Stealing)

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by Scout60(m): 10:05am On Nov 01, 2014
majekdom2:
great theory ... .no excuse for failure I agree . but dont make it sound starting and running a business is an easy thing in Nigeria . he never said he is not ready to work . his complaints were no jobs which is true .and please we all know jonathan did not get there because he was so hardworking , I havent read any of my president's book . isnt that saddening. if all the jobless graduates start hawking ,or pushing truck will there be enough customers . you should see that we need to put things in order really.

Guy dont make me vex. Are you a kid
All these people who created jobs u re seeking for employment; do they have ten heads. If there is no job, you hustle and create one for you. An average ibo hustle to start a business for himself and his next generation. So its hightime you found a business worth doing and give employment to your fellow youths.....

Read the history of some rich men in nigeria, u will discover that some of them are extremely poor but now they are reaping. If they were waiting for government to give them job or capital, will they be where they are. Where in the this earth that running a business is easy. I do not blame those who complain that there is not job because they are fools without ideas on how to set themself from financial bondage.

Ok let me tell you this, there is a woman in usa who makes 12 million naira monthly from laudry services. This woman got an admission into an higher institution but decline it to futher is passion. This woman started by washing her neighbour clothings and ironing them. Later she expanded and employ young lads to help her and she pays them monthly. Now she offer many service in her laundry business such as wash,dry and iron instantly, home delivery, relaxation center for some people who want to go with their cloths. Now she is patronised by govt. officials, rich individual etc.
My best quote: WORKING FOR PEOPLE IS A MODERN FORM OF SLAVERY BUT HAVING PEOPLE WORKING FOR YOU IS A MODERN FORM OF MASTERY AND TOTAL INDEPENDENCE.

If you want to suceed in life, you must have a dream business you are passionate of only time shall tell when the business becomes established.
or
you will have to work for people and lick their ass just to be paid your monthly salary.
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by Nobody: 10:25am On Nov 01, 2014
Scout60:

Guy dont make me vex. Are you a kid
All these people who created jobs u re seeking for employment; do they have ten heads. If there is no job, you hustle and create one for you. An average ibo hustle to start a business for himself and his next generation. So its hightime you found a business worth doing and give employment to your fellow youths.....

Read the history of some rich men in nigeria, u will discover that some of them are extremely poor but now they are reaping. If they were waiting for government to give them job or capital, will they be where they are. Where in the this earth that running a business is easy. I do not blame those who complain that there is not job because they are fools without ideas on how to set themself from financial bondage.

Ok let me tell you this, there is a woman in usa who makes 12 million naira monthly from laudry services. This woman got an admission into an higher institution but decline it to futher is passion. This woman started by washing her neighbour clothings and ironing them. Later she expanded and employ young lads to help her and she pays them monthly. Now she offer many service in her laundry business such as wash,dry and iron instantly, home delivery, relaxation center for some people who want to go with their cloths. Now she is patronised by govt. officials, rich individual etc.
My best quote: WORKING FOR PEOPLE IS A MODERN FORM OF SLAVERY BUT HAVING PEOPLE WORKING FOR YOU IS A MODERN FORM OF MASTERY AND TOTAL INDEPENDENCE.

If you want to suceed in life, you must have a dream business you are passionate of only time shall tell when the business becomes established.
or
you will have to work for people and lick their ass just to be paid your monthly salary.
nothing pisses me off than posts like this , you just keep talkling whats not feasible ...... for pete sake stop comparing usa to nigeria . am not saying any business man starts great but understan people have got diffeent passion. I work in the oil industry , does it mean am stupid that am not doing business or does it mean I will not set up myself later . what is wrong if one wants to gain experience on how to run an organisation . I work in a multinational and the truth is it is totally different from the way majority of our nigerian companies are run . the point is there is nothing wrong in wanting to gain experience . no one licks asses where I work , everyone knows what they are doing. you lick asses when ou dont know hat you are doing in a backard organisation. whats the point of spening 5 years in the uni and then you ll have to spend another 7 years earning trade because you want to do business . as a graduate engineer do you just start up an engineering firm because you graduated or because you have proven expertise. businesses are failing because majority did not learn how to run a business ....... they just hear start up a business like you doing . if everyone starts selling spare parts or clothes who will work in your spare parts shop . since you run an excellent business , please give me the website to your company to see its landslide achievements .dont discourage anyone willing to work all in the name of business.in the first intance why did you choose to go to school if you knew you could start a business at a teenage age . except you studied business administratio no other reason is justified. now its blog business , verybody wants to own a blog because linda ikeji makes millions , if eevrybody owns a blog , who will visit your own blog .people run into a business because they hear the other guy is making millions without doing any feasibility survey to see if they can run the same business . yahoo's idea is totally differnt from googhle and google different from facebook ,facebook different from linkedin and linkedin diff from alibaba .... each of them have got their on experiences . they just did not all wake up one day all in the name of internet business

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by Orikinla(m): 10:31am On Nov 01, 2014
[size=18pt]There is no nation on earth that has battled terrorism and maintained a GDP growth. Nigeria has emerged as the biggest economy in the continent; emerged as the second most entertaining industry in the world."[/size]

[size=14pt]THESE CLAIMS ARE LIES.

THE BIGGEST ECONOMY IN AFRICA REMAINS SOUTH AFRICA.
NIGERIA IS NOT EVEN AMONG THE TOP 10 COUNTRIES IN THE GLOBAL ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY.

WHEN IDIOTIC GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS AND THEIR PAID PR AGENTS LIE STUPIDLY THEY FORGET THAT WE ARE NO LONGER IN THE 20TH CENTURY, BUT IN THE DIGITAL 21ST CENTURY WHEN JUST A SEARCH OF GOOGLE IS ENOUGH TO GET FACTS 24/7.

ANYONE WHO HAS EVEN AVERAGE IQ, CAN SEE THE FACTS AND FIGURES ON
Global entertainment and media outlook 2014-2018
http://www.pwc.com/gx/en/global-entertainment-media-outlook/data-insights.jhtml
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/custom/Documents/PWC_chart_rev21012x5711px.pdf[/size]

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by Scout60(m): 1:44pm On Nov 01, 2014
majekdom2:
nothing pisses me off than posts like this , you just keep talkling whats not feasible ...... for pete sake stop comparing usa to nigeria . am not saying any business man starts great but understan people have got diffeent passion. I work in the oil industry , does it mean am stupid that am not doing business or does it mean I will not set up myself later . what is wrong if one wants to gain experience on how to run an organisation . I work in a multinational and the truth is it is totally different from the way majority of our nigerian companies are run . the point is there is nothing wrong in wanting to gain experience . no one licks asses where I work , everyone knows what they are doing. you lick asses when ou dont know hat you are doing in a backard organisation.

Young man so you are trying to tell me that working for others is better than been your own boss. What of if you are sack in your company. I doubt that you are working in oil company because from ur write up you seen inexperience. If every one work in oil company, who will sell parts, who will post news etc. Before you quote me again, read this inspired books from different authors
1. RICH DAD AND POOR DAD.
2. BEFORE YOU QUIT A JOB
3. RICHEST MAN IN BABYLON.
4. INVESTMENT TIPS FOR BEGINNERS
5. WHAT WILL I BE.

Let me describe my dream to you.
When i finished ss3 in 2009. My parents told me to drop and learn trade but i decline because i know the value of education. i have no one to cater for me. So i took to manson work, i got 2000 daily after 8 of heavy work. This money help me to take care some of my need. After 3 months, i rent a shop, i bought 3 fairly used desktop, three in one printer, fairly used ups, fairly used camera, and photo washing machine. I set up business center. I used one for typing people work and i used that remaining two desktop i have to run a mini cybercafe. With the knowledge of computer i have in my secondary school days, i keep the business going.After a year, of running this business, i was able to buy four new window xp complete destop with new printers, camera etc to replace my old system which keep giving me problem.
To cut the story short, i was able to furnish my business center with 15 new system with 3 girls under my payroll before 2012. I got admission into futo in department of chemistry in 2012. I am in 200 level now. i pay my school tuition myself. Also i am writing a book titled HOW TO BUILD A BUSINESS FROM SCRATCH.
My dream is not to run a business center but to run a groundnut oil processing industry with capability of producing 5 ton per day when i finish school. I am researching and putting my business idea down.

My cybercafe is lord chosen cybercafe located in upper iweka onitsha.
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by Nobody: 2:04pm On Nov 01, 2014
Scout60:

Young man so you are trying to tell me that working for others is better than been your own boss. What of if you are sack in your company. I doubt that you are working in oil company because from ur write up you seen inexperience. If every one work in oil company, who will sell parts, who will post news etc. Before you quote me again, read this inspired books from different authors
2. BEFORE YOU QUIT A JOB
5. WHAT WILL I BE.

When i finished ss3 in 2009. My parents told me to drop and learn trade but i decline because i know the value of education. i have no one to cater for me. So i took to manson work, i got 2000 daily after 8 of heavy work. This money help me to take care some of my need. After 3 months, i rent a shop, i bought 3 fairly used desktop, three in one printer, fairly used ups, fairly used camera, and photo washing machine. I set up business center. I used one for typing people work and i used that remaining two desktop i have to run a mini cybercafe. With the knowledge of computer i have in my secondary school days, i keep the business going.After a year, of running this business, i was able to buy four new window xp complete destop with new printers, camera etc to replace my old system which keep giving me problem.
To cut the story short, i was able to furnish my business center with 15 new system with 3 girls under my payroll before 2012. I got admission into futo in department of chemistry in 2012. I am in 200 level now. i pay my school tuition myself. Also i am writing a book titled HOW TO BUILD A BUSINESS FROM SCRATCH.
My dream is not to run a business center but to run a groundnut oil processing industry with capability of producing 5 ton per day when i finish school. I am researching and putting my business idea down.

What experience , apparently you don't comprehend . I referred to the blog and spare part because of the dude you asked to go do business not knowing his background not because of me . people have got different ideas and its feasibility depends on the resources they have. with your idea of runnning a groundnut processing you dont necessarily have to study chemistry and yea thats the mistake majority are making . thinking university education is what makes you educated " hell no " rather than wait till you finish your university because I dont think a chemistry depratment teaches one how to process groundnut even as it involves some chemistry . why dont you start up the business . you run a cafe , many run business centre but still want jobs , have you bothered to ask yourself why. there is nothing compared to being your own boss , am not debating that ....... that young man needs a job to raise capital and perhaps gain some experience . you were lucky to get the manson work , some cannot get the manson work and thats the argument .
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by Nobody: 2:05pm On Nov 01, 2014
U
post=27615922:
Ok....But when are you bringing our girls back?
Go and tell those criminalscongerss holding the girl's (if anything like that exists) to release the girls
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by Scout60(m): 3:17pm On Nov 01, 2014
majekdom2:
What experience , apparently you don't comprehend . I referred to the blog and spare part because of the dude you asked to go do business not knowing his background not because of me . people have got different ideas and its feasibility depends on the resources they have. with your idea of runnning a groundnut processing you dont necessarily have to study chemistry and yea thats the mistake majority are making . thinking university education is what makes you educated " hell no " rather than wait till you finish your university because I dont think a chemistry depratment teaches one how to process groundnut even as it involves some chemistry . why dont you start up the business . you run a cafe , many run business centre but still want jobs , have you bothered to ask yourself why. there is nothing compared to being your own boss , am not debating that ....... that young man needs a job to raise capital and perhaps gain some experience . you were lucky to get the manson work , some cannot get the manson work and thats the argument .

My friend groundnut processing is still under chemistry. In chemistry department, you can apply for apllied chemistry or pure science or industrial chemistry in your third year. I will apply for industrial chemistry to give me more insight on how to refine a low cholesterol oil and low saturated vegetable fat. So you can see i am on the right department.

So my friend are you telling me that assuming you are broke that you will not see any means of feeding yourself.
Assuming I do not invest in business center and continue with my manson work, probably i might noe be in school now.
People like you need to read my book titled HOW TO BUILD YOUR DREAM BUSINESS coming up soon. It teaches people chains of investment. I will make sure you get one from me.
I know of a very rich man who invest on people ideas. He sponsors you once you have an intelligent business idea. Both of you share the profit.
I still maintain...... Work and develop for your passion and the world will look for you.
One cent
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by Scout60(m): 3:18pm On Nov 01, 2014
majekdom2:
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 5:57pm On Nov 01, 2014
real GDP?
and did they take in count inflation?
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by jpphilips(m): 6:43pm On Nov 01, 2014
paper GDP you mean?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by erico2k2(m): 12:55am On Nov 02, 2014
hazyfm:

Losing value in local market
What Local mkt,mkt in Nigeria you mean?
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by abdulwastecx(m): 11:02pm On Nov 02, 2014
SLIDEwaxie:
Pls stop deceiving us in this country:

The economy is on steady rise yet they claimed we are broke, allocations short-changed, jonamad withdrew $1billion dollars from ECO account because of economic problems..

Na u knws

we are broke not because we are not growing economically which is GDP (which is just the measure of the value of goods and services produce in a country within a period of one financial year). we are broke gov't revenue is based poorly non oil exploiration where federal govt a sharing agreement with the multinational company. Other sector of the economy like trade, agriculture, manufacturing which accounts for more than 85% of the GDP are poorly taxed, that is the reason why GDP is very high at $530 billion while revenue is around $49billion only 9% of GDP.
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by abdulwastecx(m): 11:04pm On Nov 02, 2014
jpphilips:
paper GDP you mean?

actually NIGERIA GDP is much bigger than the official value because the economy is too informal
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by abdulwastecx(m): 11:11pm On Nov 02, 2014
Scout60:

2. BEFORE YOU QUIT A JOB
5. WHAT WILL I BE.

l like this guy...we need more young people to hqve this ideology.
I like rich poor dad by robert kawasaki.

You have really achieve alot between 2009 and now ( just 5years
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by abdulwastecx(m): 11:26pm On Nov 02, 2014
majekdom2:
nothing pisses me off than posts like this , you just keep talkling whats not feasible ...... for pete sake stop comparing usa to nigeria . am not saying any business man starts great but understan people have got diffeent passion. I work in the oil industry , does it mean am stupid that am not doing business or does it mean I will not set up myself later . what is wrong if one wants to gain experience on how to run an organisation . I work in a multinational and the truth is it is totally different from the way majority of our nigerian companies are run . the point is there is nothing wrong in wanting to gain experience . no one licks asses where I work , everyone knows what they are doing. you lick asses when ou dont know hat you are doing in a backard organisation. whats the point of spening 5 years in the uni and then you ll have to spend another 7 years earning trade because you want to do business . as a graduate engineer do you just start up an engineering firm because you graduated or because you have proven expertise. businesses are failing because majority did not learn how to run a business ....... they just hear start up a business like you doing . if everyone starts selling spare parts or clothes who will work in your spare parts shop . since you run an excellent business , please give me the website to your company to see its landslide achievements .dont discourage anyone willing to work all in the name of business.in the first intance why did you choose to go to school if you knew you could start a business at a teenage age . except you studied business administratio no other reason is justified. now its blog business , verybody wants to own a blog because linda ikeji makes millions , if eevrybody owns a blog , who will visit your own blog .people run into a business because they hear the other guy is making millions without doing any feasibility survey to see if they can run the same business . yahoo's idea is totally differnt from googhle and google different from facebook ,facebook different from linkedin and linkedin diff from alibaba .... each of them have got their on experiences . they just did not all wake up one day all in the name of internet business

The problem with your oil and gas multinational company is it can only employ very small amount of Nigeria in a country of massive unemployment.

since the time of obasonjo when they initiated local content for oil and gas industry, the sector has only about 30 thousand people. compare that the annual graduation rate of about 100thousand from Nigeria higher instititions...

The thing is oil and gas industry cannot provide enough emplyment for Nigerians.

check the GDP figures, compare trade and services about 40% to oil and gas 15%
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by dhappyking(m): 11:32pm On Nov 02, 2014
For now. How about after the elections?
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by Scout60(m): 6:22am On Nov 03, 2014
abdulwastecx:

l like this guy...we need more young people to hqve this ideology.
I like rich poor dad by robert kawasaki.

You have really achieve alot between 2009 and now ( just 5years
Thanks
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by Nobody: 7:42am On Nov 03, 2014
abdulwastecx:

The problem with your oil and gas multinational company is it can only employ very small amount of Nigeria in a country of massive unemployment.

since the time of obasonjo when they initiated local content for oil and gas industry, the sector has only about 30 thousand people. compare that the annual graduation rate of about 100thousand from Nigeria higher instititions...

The thing is oil and gas industry cannot provide enough emplyment for Nigerians.

check the GDP figures, compare trade and services about 40% to oil and gas 15%
pls ,comprehend . I never said the oil industry should employ every graduate . that young man was talking business like if every graduate starts a form of business the economy will grow . when everyone does the same kind of business you have a situation where supply is far more than demand...... the youths need decent jobs and thats the truth . yes the local cotent has been able to create a good number of jobs , whats stops the government from making more of such policies in other sectors too , thats my point. young
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by erico2k2(m): 5:14pm On Nov 03, 2014
micolaj:
USA practises CAPITALISM.
Are you sure you know the meaning of CAPITALISM?
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by erico2k2(m): 5:21pm On Nov 03, 2014
majekdom2:
pls ,comprehend . I never said the oil industry should employ every graduate . that young man was talking business like if every graduate starts a form of business the economy will grow . when everyone does the same kind of business you have a situation where supply is far more than demand...... the youths need decent jobs and thats the truth . yes the local cotent has been able to create a good number of jobs , whats stops the government from making more of such policies in other sectors too , thats my point. young
I think your arguments are flawed in the sense that, people should look for ways to be self Employed, in the Uk today, Self employment accounts for up to 70% of the fall in unemployment. However the we as Nigerians should strive to be creative. Look at China, even though its a capitalist state, people are still self employed, if you visit sites like Alibaba you will realize 90% of goods sold there are local products by self employed persons. A young man passes out of Uni with BSC in Civil Engineering, his first thoughts are how to put together a CV and wants to work in Shell or J barger.He don't want to learn the basics of construction, no clue of how to mix cement or mould brick or lay brick or even draw plans for a small house.
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by erico2k2(m): 5:26pm On Nov 03, 2014
Scout60:

2. BEFORE YOU QUIT A JOB
5. WHAT WILL I BE.

Great stuff, stick to your dream even the Devil cant stop you with his last breath.
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by erico2k2(m): 5:52pm On Nov 03, 2014
majekdom2:
My friend, Im gonna Punch holes in ur argument, I am a mech Engineer as well year 1999 gradg
*You said what's wrong in one gaining experience in a multi national coy right? tell me what skills you aim to acquire from them to set up your own
*You said something about Passion, how can your passion lead you to work for people like Shell and Chevron etc how can anything they do contribute to the development of your immediate self and those around you and society at large rather than fat pay?(Cash)
*The Biz you aim to set up after you must av accumulated initial capital, would it duel on the Oil and gas sector? If so what would it be, if its out of these sectors you wil surly agree with me that you cant bring in the wealth of experience you got from working in these industry to play, you and the person you are criticising would be on same boat fresher's boat.at this stage you will have cash no experience, he would have Experience no cash, but he is better off cos he can borrow money or start small, you cant borrow experience and cant shorten the time it takes to earn one.
*Lastly, you asked what's the use of one spending 5 years in Uni then go on to spend 7 more years to learn a trade. My answer to you is this, wont it be mega good if we as Engineers only do 2 years of classroom education and 3 years practical on-field training?
All Being said, nowadays, I put my Mechanical skills in fixing my cars and that of my p parents when I can, I am now learning basic construction skilz, and hoping to be not just a structural Engineer but aim to gain enough knowledge to take on a full building construction. This is Because I have a Passion for building. I am actually putting my money where my mouth is .
Re: Nigeria’s GDP On Steady Rise In Spite Of Insurgency by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 03, 2014
erico2k2:

I think your arguments are flawed in the sense that, people should look for ways to be self Employed, in the Uk today, Self employment accounts for up to 70% of the fall in unemployment. However the we as Nigerians should strive to be creative. Look at China, even though its a capitalist state, people are still self employed, if you visit sites like Alibaba you will realize 90% of goods sold there are local products by self employed persons. A young man passes out of Uni with BSC in Civil Engineering, his first thoughts are how to put together a CV and wants to work in Shell or J barger.He don't want to learn the basics of construction, no clue of how to mix cement or mould brick or lay brick or even draw plans for a small house.
thats where we keep getting the issue of self employment wrong in Nigeria. am not against anyone being self employed .... yes you can work for yourself and when I say youth plus decent jobs doesnt mean I am talking about working for someone when I say " job" . now you compared the Uk to nigeria .... can an average graduate get a loan of 50k from a bank to start up or even from the microfinance. the answer is No . you said the goods on alibaba are all locally made , how many Nigerian ceo's will buy a suit or shoe made in Nigeria .... thats the problem. I was watching on CNN how much we contribute to the uk GDP in terms of import and foreign study . do you think a graduate who makes his money from import of used products will want local goods be encouraged . and thats where the government should come in with their policies ....someone said earlier that our export has increased and I asked as our import reduced. do you think dangote will encourage cement importation from a competitor ..... for you to keep your business running ,you said the graduates dont want to learn , if he does not work under the experienced how will he learn . not all graduates have got the oil and gas mentality even if majority has . there are policies one would expect our governmen to have made as regards business and local capacity development. in the uk that you said , one can walk into a financial institution to solicit funds for business and education and then pay back after the agreed time . it is not happening here . business in nigeria is as tough as getting a job. I am not asking the government to provide the needs of these graduates directly but one would expect the government to have made policies that encourage local businesses.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Divestment: Shell Sells 4 Oil Fields In Nigeria / Segun Agbaje Wins CEO Of The Year In London / Fire Outbreak In Sabon Gari Market, Kano (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.