Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:31 PM

Manhood Initiation Rituals In Africa Or Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Manhood Initiation Rituals In Africa Or Nigeria (3762 Views)

13 Of The World’s Most Shocking Initiation Rites / UN Warns Britain Over Child Voodoo Rituals, P.edophile Sex Tourists / Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Manhood Initiation Rituals In Africa Or Nigeria by tpia6: 2:14am On Nov 02, 2014
do we have any? It may have been quite common in the olden days, but now there's virtually nothing, and a lot of men grow up without really knowing what manhood entails, ie what it means to be a man. They have bad role models who also perhaps dont know either.

almost the only well known manhood initiation/rituals are among the Fulani, who practice a form of whipping as a way of proving manhood, ie that you are strong enough to protect your livestock, manage your home and take care of your family. For other tribes, their sole manhood initiation seems to be linked to earning money only.

is this a wrong assessment?

i have thought about this long and hard (no pun, thanks).

1 Like

Re: Manhood Initiation Rituals In Africa Or Nigeria by tpia6: 2:21am On Nov 02, 2014
by ritual i dont mean juju ritual or anything like that, but ceremonies where a male is fully inducted into manhood -most times after a series of tests, training and education on manly qualities.
Re: Manhood Initiation Rituals In Africa Or Nigeria by Mrval20(m): 5:11am On Nov 02, 2014
It's called 'iwa akwa' in some parts of Igbo land.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Manhood Initiation Rituals In Africa Or Nigeria by Elypsis(m): 6:22am On Nov 02, 2014
It is called the Oro-cult in yoruba
Re: Manhood Initiation Rituals In Africa Or Nigeria by Nobody: 2:39pm On Nov 04, 2014
tpia6:
do we have any? It may have been quite common in the olden days, but now there's virtually nothing, and a lot of men grow up without really knowing what manhood entails, ie what it means to be a man. They have bad role models who also perhaps dont know either.

almost the only well known manhood initiation/rituals are among the Fulani, who practice a form of whipping as a way of proving manhood, ie that you are strong enough to protect your livestock, manage your home and take care of your family. For other tribes, their sole manhood initiation seems to be linked to earning money only.

is this a wrong assessment?

i have thought about this long and hard (no pun, thanks).
Wait, not even circumcision? And the Fulani too? Thats very Nilotic( i.e, absence of male circumcision). Do you circumcize your males Fulaman198?
Re: Manhood Initiation Rituals In Africa Or Nigeria by tpia6: 2:57pm On Nov 04, 2014
circumcision is considered a rite of manhood in some societies but only if its performed at a later age.

manhood rites/rituals are supposed to mark the point at which the child is expected to become a man.
Re: Manhood Initiation Rituals In Africa Or Nigeria by Nobody: 3:02pm On Nov 04, 2014
tpia6:
circumcision is considered a rite of manhood in some societies but only if its performed at a later age.

manhood rites/rituals are supposed to mark the point at which the child is expected to become a man.
How common is it in Nigeria? Is it more like an exception rather than a norm?
Re: Manhood Initiation Rituals In Africa Or Nigeria by tpia6: 5:53pm On Nov 04, 2014
I don't really know.

I doubt nigeria still has manhood initiation rites ( except for the fulani) although it might have been more common in times past.

I wouldn't consider any of the cults manhood initiation per se because in the rites I read about in african traditional societies, it had to do with the individual proving bravery, adaptation skills ( in the wild, etc), and responsibility. Not necessarily with physical fighting although I could be wrong.
Re: Manhood Initiation Rituals In Africa Or Nigeria by Nobody: 8:52pm On Nov 04, 2014
tpia6:
I don't really know.

I doubt nigeria still has manhood initiation rites ( except for the fulani) although it might have been more common in times past.

I wouldn't consider any of the cults manhood initiation per se because in the rites I read about in african traditional societies, it had to do with the individual proving bravery, adaptation skills ( in the wild, etc), and responsibility. Not necessarily with physical fighting although I could be wrong.
I think tribal markings which were done by painful body scarring were part of it. Some removed front teeth, but the most important part was the secret talks that men are given. In most communities, some oath taking is involved, binding the initiates into strong bonds of brotherhood. The man does not return to his mothers hut, but starts a new life in their own hut. The Pokot tribe does the whipping ceremony, and I believe they have also to prove their manhood by cattle raiding.
Re: Manhood Initiation Rituals In Africa Or Nigeria by tpia6: 1:05am On Nov 05, 2014
tribal markings could qualify if the process fills the same parameters as circumcision.
Re: Manhood Initiation Rituals In Africa Or Nigeria by FlintGuevara(m): 2:43pm On Nov 07, 2014
Doesn't initiation into certain masquerade cults in Igbo land qualify?
Re: Manhood Initiation Rituals In Africa Or Nigeria by tpia6: 4:03pm On Nov 07, 2014
i'm not sure.

some initiations are mainly for purposes of brotherhood, male initiation rites imo are somewhat different because they focus more on the individual understanding of manhood. But brotherhood rites might also qualify?
Re: Manhood Initiation Rituals In Africa Or Nigeria by kikuyu1(m): 4:51pm On Nov 07, 2014
This is the ultimate warrior test,the world over! Forget fake reality tv warrior bs. If you can get the 'ngwati' without making a sound women,cows and respect and respect are yours for life! I can't risk a photo. Look at the first pic.
http://karanjazplace..com/2012/08/the-mahogany-princess.html
This is done by Kikuyus,Kalenjins and Maasaais and research reveals its purely for the woman's added pleasure. The agony can't be expressed in words. Its possible to faint,scream or laugh-the pain is so bad it overwhelms brain chemistry,and as you can see the initiate is taking it the required way-unflinchingly.
OOOUUUCCHHHHH!!
Re: Manhood Initiation Rituals In Africa Or Nigeria by tpia6: 5:06pm On Nov 07, 2014
what the. . . . . ..

bro, you should have posted a warning
Re: Manhood Initiation Rituals In Africa Or Nigeria by tpia6: 5:07pm On Nov 07, 2014
btw, i thought killing a lion was the ancient required manhood ritual in kenya?
Re: Manhood Initiation Rituals In Africa Or Nigeria by kikuyu1(m): 7:06am On Nov 08, 2014
tpia6:
what the. . . . . ..

bro, you should have posted a warning

Yes,you're right!

btw, i thought killing a lion was the ancient required manhood ritual in kenya?

Here's a secret. It was required by Masaais. A platoon of maybe 20-30 would spear it to death and the first to touch it would wear its mane. The truth is Kalenjin,Kambas and even Kikuyus regularly killed them and even leopards without fanfare.
Re: Manhood Initiation Rituals In Africa Or Nigeria by Nobody: 11:55am On Nov 08, 2014
Din't know that!

Does the UN know about this?
Re: Manhood Initiation Rituals In Africa Or Nigeria by tpia6: 1:57pm On Nov 08, 2014
It was in the olden days, not now.
Re: Manhood Initiation Rituals In Africa Or Nigeria by tpia6: 1:58pm On Nov 08, 2014
kikuyu1:

Here's a secret. It was required by Masaais. A platoon of maybe 20-30 would spear it to death and the first to touch it would wear its mane. The truth is Kalenjin,Kambas and even Kikuyus regularly killed them and even leopards without fanfare.

We learnt about it in school back then.

(1) (Reply)

Funny Movie Quotes / Igbo Sayings And Words. / What Is The English Meaning For These?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.