Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,170 members, 7,821,967 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

How 1,000 Years Of Arabic Scholarship Advanced Scientific Debate – In Pictures - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / How 1,000 Years Of Arabic Scholarship Advanced Scientific Debate – In Pictures (1581 Views)

Should Muslims Partake In Halloween? (big Debate In Malaysia/us) / The Spirit Of Ramadan Fasting In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How 1,000 Years Of Arabic Scholarship Advanced Scientific Debate – In Pictures by tbaba1234: 3:11am On Nov 03, 2014
How 1,000 years of Arabic scholarship advanced scientific debate – in pictures

From the 9th to the 19th centuries, scholars and scribes used Arabic as a lingua franca to debate scientific ideas. Arabic-speaking scholars translated classical Greek, Persian and even Sanskrit texts on topics such as medicine, mathematics and astronomy. These scholars went far beyond translation and preservation and fostered a unique and vibrant scientific culture within the Arabic-speaking world. The British Library and Qatar Foundation have joined forces to launch a new bilingual online portal, the Qatar Digital Library, providing free access to 25,000 pages of fascinating medieval Arabic manuscript. Here’s a selection of some of the most influential scientific texts in history.

This text was the most influential and enduring astronomical text to have survived from the ancient world. Its Arabic translation had an immense impact on the late antique and medieval world view in both Christian and Islamic lands. The Almagest manuscript was completed in 615.
Photograph: British Library Qatar Foundation Partnership

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How 1,000 Years Of Arabic Scholarship Advanced Scientific Debate – In Pictures by tbaba1234: 3:12am On Nov 03, 2014

The internal workings of a water-clock which features eyes changing colour and balls dropping onto a cymbal from a bird’s head. It’s taken from the Book of Archimedes on the Construction of Water-Clocks, compiled during the 9th century.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How 1,000 Years Of Arabic Scholarship Advanced Scientific Debate – In Pictures by tbaba1234: 3:13am On Nov 03, 2014

The Arabic version of the Data by the mathematician Euclid of Alexandria in 300 BC. The diagrams are collected on a fold out following the text.

1 Like

Re: How 1,000 Years Of Arabic Scholarship Advanced Scientific Debate – In Pictures by tbaba1234: 3:14am On Nov 03, 2014

By Pedanius Dioscorides of Anazarbus was a physician, botanist and pharmacolgist who practised at Rome and travelled as a surgeon with the imperial army. This page describes the mandrake, both male and female varieties, and says that shepherds who chew its roots fall into a sort of lethargy. This copy was completed at Baghdad in 1334.

1 Like

Re: How 1,000 Years Of Arabic Scholarship Advanced Scientific Debate – In Pictures by tbaba1234: 3:15am On Nov 03, 2014

One of only three recorded copies of an influential treatise on the construction and use of astrolabes, a tool used by astronomers to predict the positions of the sun, moon and planets. This illustration shows internal gearing of this device and was the first surviving work to illustrate such miniature technology.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How 1,000 Years Of Arabic Scholarship Advanced Scientific Debate – In Pictures by tbaba1234: 3:17am On Nov 03, 2014

Commentary on Ibn Sina’s Canon of Medicine by Ibn al-Nafīs, an Arab physician famous for being the first to describe the process whereby deoxygenated blood flows from the heart to the lungs. The copy was completed in 1497.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How 1,000 Years Of Arabic Scholarship Advanced Scientific Debate – In Pictures by tbaba1234: 3:18am On Nov 03, 2014

The author provides a comprehensive introduction to the principles of astrology. The text is written in question and answer format and it deals with the sciences needed by the astrologer: geometry, arithmetic and number theory, and judicial astrology. The earliest ownership inscription is dated in 1436.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How 1,000 Years Of Arabic Scholarship Advanced Scientific Debate – In Pictures by tbaba1234: 3:18am On Nov 03, 2014

1 Like

Re: How 1,000 Years Of Arabic Scholarship Advanced Scientific Debate – In Pictures by kudoxs(m): 5:19am On Nov 03, 2014
Wow! Simply amazing!
Re: How 1,000 Years Of Arabic Scholarship Advanced Scientific Debate – In Pictures by vedaxcool(m): 7:51am On Nov 03, 2014
This once again shows that Islam pro - reasoning stance impacted rapidly on science hence leading to the great leap forward humanity experience. Islam encourages people to think, ponder and understand.

2 Likes

Re: How 1,000 Years Of Arabic Scholarship Advanced Scientific Debate – In Pictures by sino(m): 7:51pm On Feb 27, 2015
vedaxcool:
This once again shows that Islam pro - reasoning stance impacted rapidly on science hence leading to the great leap forward humanity experience. Islam encourages people to think, ponder and understand.
Is it not amazing that this aspect of Muslims/Arabs input and advancement in science has been completely neglected when discussing Islamic civilization? I sometimes shudder at the rate at which non Muslims lie to paint Islam as backward and anti science. I think we need to project these kinds of information to the public in order to correct a lot of misinformation being bandied around especially on this site!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How 1,000 Years Of Arabic Scholarship Advanced Scientific Debate – In Pictures by Empiree: 6:58am On Feb 28, 2015
sino:

Is it not amazing that this aspect of Muslims/Arabs input and advancement in science has been completely neglected when discussing Islamic civilization? I sometimes shudder at the rate at which non Muslims lie to paint Islam as backward and anti science. I think we need to project these kinds of information to the public in order to correct a lot of misinformation being bandied around especially on this site!
Even if we project this information they choose what suit them basically but ignore the other side. Bunch of them on NL
Re: How 1,000 Years Of Arabic Scholarship Advanced Scientific Debate – In Pictures by sino(m): 9:19am On Feb 28, 2015
Empiree:
Even if we project this information they choose what suit them basically but ignore the other side. Bunch of them on NL

You are right, but i want to believe that there are just few obnoxious fellows especially on the religion section, who would always want to see things only through their bigotry, these are the Islamophobes and the fanatics which i can only equate to the Terrorists...

A well educated and objective individual would appreciate these kinds of information, and there happens to be lots of innocent youths who might not have the opportunity to research into this aspect of history. Also, we all need to remind ourselves of this rich heritage which should spur us into retracing our steps and getting back on track to achieving Islam.
Re: How 1,000 Years Of Arabic Scholarship Advanced Scientific Debate – In Pictures by Empiree: 12:58pm On Feb 28, 2015
sino:

You are right, but i want to believe that there are just few obnoxious fellows especially on the religion section, who would always want to see things only through their bigotry, these are the Islamophobes and the fanatics which i can only equate to the Terrorists...

A well educated and objective individual would appreciate these kinds of information, and there happens to be lots of innocent youths who might not have the opportunity to research into this aspect of history. Also, we all need to remind ourselves of this rich heritage which should spur us into retracing our steps and getting back on track to achieving Islam.
Agree
Re: How 1,000 Years Of Arabic Scholarship Advanced Scientific Debate – In Pictures by Empiree: 12:41am On Mar 03, 2015
@ olire , concerning the thread https://www.nairaland.com/2160571/non-muslims-only-prophet-army-modern-day#down. The lady is bigot. Pay her no mind. Here is useful thread and some more are here.

1 Like

Re: How 1,000 Years Of Arabic Scholarship Advanced Scientific Debate – In Pictures by Nobody: 7:56am On Mar 03, 2015
Empiree:
@ olire , concerning the thread https://www.nairaland.com/2160571/non-muslims-only-prophet-army-modern-day#down. The lady is bigot. Pay her no mind. Here is useful thread and some more are here.
This is actually a nice thread. But it is not meant to be in this section because only your fellow Muslims would see it. For example, before I could comment, I had to accept that i am a Muslim, which I'm not. Hence, if u want to educate people about ur religion, post this thread where it would be accessible to all.
Re: How 1,000 Years Of Arabic Scholarship Advanced Scientific Debate – In Pictures by Empiree: 8:10am On Mar 03, 2015
olire:
This is actually a nice thread. But it is not meant to be in this section because only your fellow Muslims would see it. For example, before I could comment, I had to accept that i am a Muslim, which I'm not. Hence, if u want to educate people about ur religion, post this thread where it would be accessible to all.
Thanks for the compliment. I understand but hey, your christian brothers are too much. They dont think anything positive can emanate from muslims. Take a look at the thread i called u from. Thats how this will end up. Hope you understand

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Egbon Olabowale, Please Don't Leave Us Here! / Tafsir Of Surah Al-fatihah, From The Book Of Tafsir Ibn Kathir / Why Should I Be Muslim?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.