Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,436 members, 7,823,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

Choosing Between Nigerian And US Citizenship - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Choosing Between Nigerian And US Citizenship (742 Views)

US Green Card, US Citizenship And Employment In Nigeria: Confusion / I Received My US Citizenship Today And I'm Unburdening My Heart About Africa / Nigerian, Others Bag Us Citizenship For Dying In Iraq (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Choosing Between Nigerian And US Citizenship by Francis5: 7:51pm On Nov 03, 2014
Assuming you have a dual Nigerian and US citizenship.

Assuming Nigeria or the US changes the rule and says only one citizenship is allowed every Nigerian-American.

Which citizenship would you prefer to hold, Nigerian or the US?

Abandoning Nigerian citizenship means you have to travel to Nigeria with a visa and your application could be denied.

Abandoning the US citizenship means all that you have labored for to become a US citizen is flushed down the toilet. You may or may not be reverted to a Green Card holder (and let us assume you have no option to revert to a green card)

Let the ball roll, let's see your choices and be honest with it, even if for once in your lifetime. grin grin

Epilogue. I know many Nigerians in Germany who became Germans and had to abandon the Green passport because Germany allows only one citizenship.
Re: Choosing Between Nigerian And US Citizenship by Francis5: 7:51pm On Nov 03, 2014
It is a tough choice especially if I cannot get back my old green card. Three scenarios come to my mind:

If I have kids who are already citizens, I will take the Nigerian passport and let my kids be US citizens; they need it more than I do. It is all about securing their future.

If I am not financially okay, I will take the US citizenship, but if I am rich I will take the Nigerian one.

If I have a political ambition, I will take the Nigerian citizenship; it is easier to make it politically in Nigeria than in the US, in addition to all the thieving and looting I can do in Nigeria (yeske grin grin grin grin grin) and walk away scot-free

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between Nigerian And US Citizenship by doublewisdom: 8:07pm On Nov 03, 2014
What a question! Oya, you @ op choose between death and sleep.
Re: Choosing Between Nigerian And US Citizenship by BigBizzy(m): 8:07pm On Nov 03, 2014
as a bachelor wey still dey hustle...na US sure pass o
Re: Choosing Between Nigerian And US Citizenship by Francis5: 8:08pm On Nov 03, 2014
doublewisdom:
What a question! Oya, you @ op choose between death and sleep.

Sleep.
Re: Choosing Between Nigerian And US Citizenship by doublewisdom: 8:38pm On Nov 03, 2014
Francis5:

Sleep.
Nigeria (presently) is death
America (presently) na sleep.
Re: Choosing Between Nigerian And US Citizenship by eunisam: 8:44pm On Nov 03, 2014
I will take Nigeria citizenship if GEJ wins 2015.
I will take US even BOKINA FASO citizenship if GMB wins 2015.
Re: Choosing Between Nigerian And US Citizenship by Francis5: 9:41pm On Nov 03, 2014
doublewisdom:

Nigeria (presently) is death
America (presently) na sleep.

Meaning, you would take sleep over death, yes? cheesy cheesy

(1) (Reply)

First Class Leadcity University Graduate in Jail For 1.92m Internet Love Scam / Live Report From Mubi! Http://friendsofnija..com/ / Do "Chibok School Girls" Still Exist For Rescue -Attorney Patryk Utulu (USA)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.