Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? (5172 Views)

WAS/IS Muhammed The Al-ruh Al-quddus (holy Spirit) Or A Man? / What Is The Difference Between Life And Soul (spirit Or Whatever We Call It) / Camilla Mberekpe’s Confession: Is It African Magic Or Holy Spirit In Action? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by dignity(m): 7:29pm On Aug 05, 2006
Its been around with us for a long time, centuries, I dare say.

But that doesn't make right.
Theologians have erred on it.
Preachers have stumbled over it.
And no one seem to know, that it was an error !

It started with KJV translators.Their minds, still filled with the wrong medieval belief of "Ghosts" as "disembodied spirits".They called the Holy Spirit of God "The Holy Ghost".
And since then all of us seem to have been fooled, as though a spell was cast over us all.

Wake Up Now! The Holy Spirit is not a "Ghost".It is the mind of God,it is the power of God, It is not a Ghost.

"Does it really matter",some may ask? When we know the truth about some matter,we prove we are obedient servants by promptly obeying it.If we choose to go on with our error after knowing the truth,we are to that extent unfaithful.God has no need of unfaithful children.

Remember the Scripture,"He that is faithful in that which is least will be faithful in that which is much".

Let the Truth set you FREE today!

Adetola
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by dondele(m): 7:45pm On Aug 05, 2006
if u know english well, u will know dat "spirit" and "ghost" are the same thing. its like saying "correct" and "right" are not the same cuzz they are two different words. they are the different words with the same meaning.
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by dignity(m): 8:59pm On Aug 05, 2006
C'mmon dondele,

You are wrong about this.
A Ghost (if such thing really exists) is not the same thing as a "Spirit".

Here is an analogy:
Hydrogen is a gas BUT not every gas is hydrogen.
A Ghost is thought to be invisible,so is Spirit or Spirit Beings, that is where the similarity ends, invisibility.

Check out these definitions:
http://www.googlism.com/what_is/a/a_ghost/
http://paranormal.about.com/cs/ghosthunting/f/blfaqs_ghosts01.htm
http://library.thinkquest.org/C003325F/what_is_a_ghost.htm
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by dondele(m): 9:01pm On Aug 05, 2006
dat one is your own onion. i have told you my own.
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by Ciaralover(f): 12:31am On Aug 06, 2006
Its the same thing that the bible meant!!No difference between the two, if u have the holy spirit u have the Holy ghost!!!
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by my2cents(m): 4:53am On Aug 06, 2006
If my ancient history serves me right (present-day uni students, if I am wrong, let me know grin), back in the day (as in from the days up until medieval times, the term "ghost" was used. At some point, it was determined that pple regarded that term a little scary and so it was changed to "spirit".

Bottomline, they are both the same. Both words can be used interchangably.

I hope this helps.
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by 4getme1(m): 7:32pm On Aug 06, 2006
It is the same word in Greek [pneuma], and is used for "spirit". God's Holy Spirit = the Holy Ghost, and in nature Jesus said "a spirit hath not flesh and bones" (Luke 24:39), indicating that 'spirit' is incorporeal.

But then again, the Spirit is not "the mind of God" - for the Spirit Himself has a mind of His own (Rom. 8:27 - And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.) He is much more than a 'mind', for He is God the Holy Spirit who together with the Father and the Son comprises the Trinity. That is why you find that the attributes of a living Personality are acsribed to Him -

¤ The Spirit teaches - John 14:26

¤ He can be lied to - Acts 5:3

¤ He calls to service and sends ministers forth - Acts 13:2-4.

There shouldn't be any confusion about it, for both expressions are used in the Word of God, and God has honoured prayers offered in the power of the Holy Ghost/Holy Spirit.
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by dignity(m): 8:24pm On Aug 06, 2006
Hi
Expectedly,the Greek word,pneuma,should be the same for both words,Ghost and Spirit.The problem is not with the Greek original but with the translations given by those who rendered those words into English.

But what are Ghosts?
They are thought to be spirits of dead men hovering around us.It was thought that because these men were evil while they lived,they have been denied access to Heaven.Not having access to Heaven,then, they hover around us here.

But is it really true that "the Dead Are Not Really Dead".

Does not the Bible tell us that "there is no wisdom,no work or knowledge in the grave that thou goest", that we do with our might whatever our hands find to do now?

Does not the Bible say of the dead man in the book of Job,saying,"His sons come to honor and He knoweth not?"

Is there anything that can live apart from man when he dies?Is it really true that man is made up of spirit,soul and body?

When God created Adam,the first man,was it not the combination of the "breath of life"
from God (essentially Oxygen) and the lifeless body of Adam that became a living being?

In other words,
body + breath of life = soul

The scripture seem to teach by this that "it is not that man has a soul but that man himself is a soul"

So,when a man dies, he goes into unconsciousness,into oblivion, and he has no hope to live again except by the "resurrection of the dead"secured by the death of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Are there such things as Ghosts, disembodied spirits??No,the scripture seem to teach.
So,then,what do they see who claim to have seen Ghosts?My response:DEMONS, FALLEN ANGELS,masquerading as Spirits of the DEAD.

I should be back tomorrow to shed light on Romans 8:27.

God bless you all.

Adetola
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by PTBNaija(f): 11:48pm On Aug 06, 2006
I have to agree with what others have said that it is the same thing. I'm not going to go into length about this but they are used interchangibly because they are both correct.
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by Rolly: 1:17am On Aug 07, 2006
why on earth would anyone argue about stuff like this? Holy Ghost, Holy Spirit? what is the difference? its like saying God and Jehovah or son of God and child of God? Both are the exact same thing. Just like God can be called Alpha and omega, Elshaddai, Omnipotent and all those names doesnt mean that we are talking about diffrent people, its the same one person we are talking about. so whether we call him Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost, its the same person.
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by Nutter(m): 3:07am On Aug 07, 2006
Rolly:

why on earth would anyone argue about stuff like this?

Some people just like to quibble over semantics.
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by dondele(m): 3:11am On Aug 07, 2006
dont mind the dude. i think he drank 501 or something. even after telling him, he is still looking for something different.
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by LiquidMind(m): 7:36am On Aug 07, 2006
This English language is causing confusion sometimes,

Holy spirit-fire OR Holy Ghost-fire which one is correct ??
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by m4malik(m): 7:38am On Aug 07, 2006
dignity:

Expectedly,the Greek word,pneuma,should be the same for both words,Ghost and Spirit.The problem is not with the Greek original but with the translations giving by those rendered those words into English.
But what are Ghosts?
They are thought to spirits of dead men hovering around us.It was thought that because these men were evil while they lived,they have been denied access to Heaven.Not having access to Heaven,then, they hover around us here.

Hi @dignity,

It really doesn't matter what word the translators use. Whether 'Spirit' or 'Ghost', they are both applicable and God has not had a problem with the word ever since it was so translated into English using either equivalents. To favour one over the other is simply a personal matter based on the feelings and thought of men. For those who have a problem with the word 'ghost' because of what it means to people, they should also realise that the word 'spirit' carries an equally uneasy feeling for others. See Matt. 14:26 >> 'And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.'

We should not be too concerned about what either word conjures in the mind of some people. The vital issue is that anyone reading the Word should see the context where they appear and have nothing to fear as long as God's Spirit is "holy" - thus He is called the 'Holy Spirit' or 'Holy Ghost'.

dignity:

Is there anything that can live apart from man when he dies?Is it really true that man is made up of spirit,soul and body?

Indeed, man is made of spirit, soul and body - see 1 Thes. 5:23 (I'll offer more on this in a moment below). The parts of man that survive after death are the soul and spirit -

1 Cor. 5:5 >> To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Rev. 20:4 >> . . . and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands.

dignity:

The scripture seem to teach by this that "it is not that man has a soul but that man himself is a soul"

Well, I don't know so much about that. Rather, it would seem that a complete man is defined in 1 Thes. 5:23 as "spirit and soul and body". I'm persuaded that man is actually a spirit, has a soul, and lives in a body. The fact that man has a soul is indicated in scripture by the pronouns we read of in most places in both the OT and NT -

Gen. 12:13 >> Say, I pray thee, thou art my sister: that it may be well with me for thy sake; and my soul shall live because of thee. . . Gen 35:18 >> And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing, (for she died) that she called his name Benoni: but his father called him Benjamin. . . Mark 8:37 >> Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

However, this should not be overstretched or become a rigid idea, because Scripture also speaks of man as a soul (Exo. 1:5 >> And all the souls that came out of the loins of Jacob were seventy souls: for Joseph was in Egypt already). Yet, in describing the demise of a person, Scripture uses either 'soul' or 'spirit' to give the understanding of who man really is when the body is left behind -

Gen. 35:18 >> And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing, (for she died) that she called his name Benoni: but his father called him Benjamin. . . James 2:26 >> For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

I'm still studying the reason for this seeming interchangeable use of either word. At the moment, I offer that the 'soul' is indicative of the being of a person - all that essentially characterises the person; while the 'spirit' is particularly the very essence of a person - that which he essentially is.

dignity:

Are there such things as Ghosts, disembodied spirits??No,the scripture seem to teach.
So,then,what do they see who claim to have seen Ghosts?DEMONS, FALLEN ANGELS,masquerading as Spirits of the DEAD.

I don't get you here. Are you saying that demons and fallen angels are spirits or ghosts - which one?
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by Douzy(m): 10:31am On Aug 07, 2006
This is only a case of mere etymological ambiguity and semantic preference.  The meaning of the word "Ghost" originally had been synonymous with that of "Spirit" or "Soul", and would only later come to carry on the specific notion of "disembodied spirit of the dead" (with its derogatory connotations).  In fact, it is only in the 19th Century that the English Revised Version of the Bible translated the name (of the Spirit of God) as Holy Spirit.  Even today, some languages still use a word that its meaning parallels or cuts across those of Ghost, Spirit and Soul (German Geist, for example).

Hence, it's all a matter of comfortability.  If you prefer a more traditional language, use Holy Ghost, else Holy Spirit is your choice!  None is wrong.
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by Seye(m): 12:17pm On Aug 07, 2006
Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit are the same. in the Old Testament it is referred to as Holyghost. It's just a simple case of semantics.
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by msmith01: 1:17pm On Aug 07, 2006
And now what is the time of this end, at the close of this marvelous prophecy? The next verse, Daniel 12:1, says at the time of the resurrection of the just—at the Second Coming of Jesus Christ!

“This prophecy begins with the kingdoms of Syria and Egypt, soon after the death of Alexander the Great—2,300 years ago. But it ends at the time of the resurrection and the Second Coming of Christ to bring peace at last to the region—and to the entire world! It is so plain, there can be no doubt of its right application!

“Are you ready for that event? It is fast approaching. Now is the time to get ready, for Jesus said, ‘Be ye also ready!’”
THEY ARE THE SAME THING MY BROTHER
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by dominobaby(f): 1:43pm On Aug 07, 2006
They are one and the same.
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by dominobaby(f): 1:45pm On Aug 07, 2006
They are one and the same.
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by 4getme1(m): 2:32pm On Aug 07, 2006
Douzy:

In fact, it is only in the 19th Century that the English Revised Version of the Bible translated the name (of the Spirit of God) as Holy Spirit. 

Well, you made good points in your post, but I'm not so sure that the translation with the appellation "Holy Spirit" was only as recent as the 19th century. Back in the 16th century, the Geneva Bible of 1587 uses "holy Spirit" in two verses in the NT -

Eph. 4:30 - And grieue not the holy Spirit of God, by whom ye are sealed vnto ye day of redemption.

1 Thes. 4:8 - Hee therefore that despiseth these thinges, despiseth not man, but God who hath euen giuen you his holy Spirit.

There's just no sound reasoning in preferring either word; whether "holy Spirit" or "holy Ghost" is correct - He is the same.
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by Oracle(m): 6:40pm On Aug 07, 2006
Well i personally make that mistake if thatz what you call it.
coz i definitely would not want to call the HOLYSPIRIT a GHOST

Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by dignity(m): 8:58pm On Aug 07, 2006
m4malik:

Hi @dignity,

I don't get you here. Are you saying that demons and fallen angels are spirits or ghosts - which one?

What I mean is that so called Ghosts are not "spirits of dead men",as many think,
but fallen angels masquerading as spirits of dead men.

This is the logic, If it is true that men do not actually die at death but live in another form
(as spirits) after death,what would be the need for the resurrection of the Dead.

What would be the meaning of Jesus' declaration, "Marvel not,for the hour cometh when those who are in the graves shall hear the voice of the Son Of Man,and shall come forth"

Spirits generally connote fear in the hearts of men because of their invisibility,their higher nature,and consequently,their awesomeness.That's why  the Apostles were afraid when  they thought they saw a spirit in the encounter they had with our Lord on the sea.

The point being made here is that the we degrade the personality of the Holy Spirit with the use of the word Ghost since the HOLY SPIRIT is not a "disembodied spirit" of any a dead man ! Certainly the Holy Spirit of God IS NOT A GHOST,though IT IS A SPIRIT!

I love your meek and humble approach,m4malik.If you would like more information about the nature of man,and another perspective of the Scriptures you cited in the light of other Bible passages,I would be all too glad to send you some FREE BOOKLETS AND MAGAZINES.They may help you in your study.

All I need is your POSTAL ADDRESS, just that !

I should be back tomorrow again to reply to some of the other issues raised here.

I appreciate all your posts even those ones that have been saucy and cynical. Aren't we supposed to be  different ?
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by birdman(m): 4:24pm On Aug 08, 2006
This should solve the debate once and for all

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/2006/07/spirit-of-truth.html
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by Mystique(f): 6:26pm On Aug 08, 2006
@ Topic:

They mean the same thing, Holy Ghost and Holy Spirit, have both been used in the bible, in the same context. smiley
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by CuteAngel(f): 3:51pm On Aug 09, 2006
You are right my man there all mean the same thing
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by Mystique(f): 5:08pm On Aug 09, 2006
Err, I'm a gal, not a guy o! cool
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by Nobody: 6:18pm On Aug 09, 2006
People there is no difference.
The most important is are you filled with him.
This sort of argument will lead no where.
There are battles to be won.
From the dictionary @dignity,do you dispute that too?

holy ghost

n : the third person in the Trinity; Jesus promised the Apostles that he would send the Holy Spirit after his Crucifixion and Resurrection; it came on Pentecost [syn: Holy Ghost, Holy Spirit]
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by tianshie(m): 9:13pm On Aug 09, 2006
@dignity
They're not the same but twins. I hope this helps.

I'll be back tomorrow to discuss:
a. The pagan origins of christmas
b. The pagan origins of the trinity.

stay tuned.
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by babyathome(m): 2:45am On Aug 10, 2006
Let me start this way, the word spirit & ghost is translated from a greek word pneuma. If we all agree to that that means spirit & ghost means the same thing. Secondly, the king james english uses thou 4 you,ye 4 you,maketh 4 makes & so on. So king james generally uses ghost in place of spirit, if u would read the newer version of the bible i.e with today english you find out that spirit is use all thru. Then,the bible says in job32:8 that there is a spirit in man, Here is not talking about those spirit that people say appear to them & they get scared of,no is saying that everybody has a spirit inside of them which is the real you. God said let us make man in our image &  likeness Gen1:26 and who is God bible says God is a spirit john4:24. Finally, how do we now diffrentiate the  spirit because now everybody is a spirit that's where the word holy comes in, that's what diff. us from God.Wherever you see holyspirit know that is talking about the spirit of God which is the power of God that makes anything that God says into being luke1:35. I believe we should be clear now. Thank you all and God bless. Babyathome
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by 2fine4u(f): 2:59am On Aug 10, 2006
waoh educated people everywhere, kudos to yall.
spirit and ghost mean the same thing
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by diddy4(m): 5:00am On Aug 11, 2006
this doesnt need much gramma. they are both d same thing.
Re: Holy Spirit Or Holy Ghost: Which Is Right? by micolala(m): 5:30am On Aug 11, 2006
Exactly.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Online Or Physical Church? / Money Drawing Soap And Oil / John 1:1 - LOGOS and THEOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.