Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,639 members, 7,854,669 topics. Date: Sunday, 09 June 2024 at 12:07 AM

Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam (1951 Views)

Uwazurike Renames MASSOB To BIM - Biafra Independent Movement / Boko Haram: Army Chief Renames Operation In Maiduguri / ‘Islamic State In West Africa': Boko Haram Renames Itself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by bunmioguns(m): 10:13pm On Nov 05, 2014
Aminu Mohammed in Sokoto, Daji Sani in Yola, Ibrahim Shuaibu in Katsina and Segun Awofadeji in Gombe 

Despite the platitudes by the Nigerian military, Boko Haram has consolidated its occupation of the strategic town of Mubi in Adamawa State, among other towns in the North-east, and has renamed it “Madinatul Islam”, meaning the city of Islam and peace.

The terrorist sect has also assured trapped residents in the ancient city of the dividends of democracy, security, freedom and an all-inclusive government, and has taken the step of asking other residents who have fled to return to their homes.

The insurgents had sacked Nigerian troops from Mubi last week after a fierce battle and taken full control to establish their authority on the conquered town.

A trapped resident in Mubi, Mallam Aliyu Bala, confirmed that the insurgents have renamed Mubi and given it a new name - Madinatul Islam.

He said the insurgents have mounted checkpoints and are monitoring every nook and cranny as they mount surveillance all over the town, adding that they are making efforts to establish a new government in Mubi so as to extend its territories by conquering more towns in the North-east.

Bala, however, said despite the promises of safety and security by the sect, thousands of residents have been sneaking out of the city for the fear of the unknown.

Also commenting, Sunday Joshua Wugira, a legal practitioner, who went to Maiha town to pick up his aged parents who fled to the town from Mubi, said despite the assurance by the insurgents, several trapped residents were still fleeing, including soldiers.

“I was in Maiha a few hours ago, the pathetic plight of the people I saw was simply beyond imagination. We were in a commercial bus when some fleeing soldiers said we must adjust for them to get space in the bus to flee, which we objected.
“It’s unfortunate that even soldiers
join civilians to run away,” he said.

The insurgents, nonetheless, have continued to appeal to displaced residents of captured communities in Adamawa State to return to their homes as they continue to be assured of safety.
Residents said the insurgents have informed them that they would be more secure in the new Islamic Caliphate than in the Nigerian state that is unable to provide them with security and the basic necessities of life.

One of the trapped residents, Bello, said the insurgents have been persuading them daily that the people should give them a chance to exert their authority on them promising a peaceful atmosphere.

The insurgents have also been reportedly persuading the residents of the four local governments of Michika, Madagali, Mubi North and Mubi South of Adamawa State to go about their normal businesses.

A resident of Uba town, Mallam Salisu Baba, said normal activities have started picking up in the captured territories as Boko Haram enjoins residents to go about their daily affairs, while asking them to open their shops for business.

The resident added that the insurgents have warned politicians not to try to hold any elections in the state, vowing to scuttle the polls and restating their resolve to capture the whole of Adamawa State in no distant future.

“The insurgents have assured people of unassailable freedom and have been telling shop owners to open their shops threatening that anyone who fails to open his or her shop will have the shops broken into.

“Whenever the insurgents want any commodity, they pay for it. This encouraged meat sellers, tea sellers and others to open for business.

“They provided security during the market day in Uba town last Thursday while promising to continue to give traders and residents who come to the area utmost security as long as they comply with Islamic tenets.

“They have opened one of the filling stations belonging to A.A Garba in Uba town, as motorists troops to buy petrol due to high demand,” Baba revealed.

In another development, as part of measures to contain the security situation in Adamawa, the
state government has banned the operation of commercial motorcycles in seven local government areas.

A statement by Mr. Phineas Elisha, Director Press and Public Affairs to the governor, urged the public and security operatives to ensure compliance.

The affected local governments are Hong, Gombi, Song, Girei, Numan, Demsa and Fufore.

Also, the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Muhammad Sa'ad Abubakar III, on Tuesday joined other northern leaders to express concern over the annexation of towns and villages in the North-east by the Boko Haram insurgents, describing the situation as sad and worrisome.

On Monday, former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar and the Deputy Governor of Borno State, Alhaji Zanna Umar Mustapha, had decried the annexation of several towns in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States.

Listing them, Atiku had said Boko Haram presently controls about 16 local government areas in Borno (9), Adamawa (5) and Yobe (2).

Also concerned about the disheartening development, the Sultan called on the federal government to provide sophisticated gadgets, ammunition and equipment to security agents to combat the insurgency and ensure proper surveillance in the border areas.

The monarch made the call at a North-west Zonal Command Travel and Alien Control (TAC) land border security seminar held at Giginya Hotel, Sokoto.

He noted with deep concern the security situation in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa States where insurgents have taken many towns and villages.

“We are deeply worried over the insecurity in the country. We have seen that insurgents have taken many towns and villages in the North-east. Who knows the next town they will move to and where will they will stop?

“So we must come together irrespective of tribe and religion to confront the problems bedevilling our country,” the Sultan said.

He underscored the need for the federal government to provide the security agents with modern gadgets and sophisticated equipment to ensure proper surveillance at the border posts, adding that though border surveillance was expensive, there was a need to equip security agents with sophisticated gadgets that could detect goods coming into Nigeria from neighbouring countries.

The Sultan advised the government to ensure that money budgeted for security is used for the purpose it is meant for in order to achieve the desired objectives.

He also called on the political leadership in the country to fear God and provide good governance to Nigerians.

In his remarks, Sokoto State Governor, Alhaji Aliyu Wamakko, said Nigerians were currently going through pains as a result of the insurgency in the North-east.

He also urged the federal government to provide adequate funds and equipment to the security agents in order to patrol the borders effectively.

“We know that the border posts are porous but the problem has to do with lack of modern gadgets. You cannot fight crime with bare hands and unless security agents are effectively equipped, we will not achieve our desired objectives,” Wamakko said.

However, as the Sultan and the Sokoto governor proffered solutions to ending the insurgency, Boko Haram continued to wreak havoc on the North-east where gunmen suspected to be members of the terrorist sect invaded Nafada, the headquarters of Nafada Local Government Area, a Gombe northern border town on Tuesday.

This was the second attack by the sect on Gombe State in less than a week.

A source in Nafada told THISDAY that the marauders invaded the town on about 50 motorbikes between 11 am and noon and more than 10 people were suspected to have been killed in the process.

He said they went in through Ngalda, a neighbouring community in Yobe State and fired at the soldiers at the checkpoint located at the entrance of the town.

He said they went straight to the police station, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) secretariat, then the local government secretariat.

According to him, they thereafter went to the residence of one Sheikh Adamu Misira and opened fire on him and the people around him, killing over 10 people in the process.

The source said he could not ascertain how many security agents were killed at the checkpoint but one of them called him on the phone to say he managed to escape unhurt.

“In Nafada, they went straight to the police station and opened fire on it. From there, they went to the local government secretariat and opened fire.

“They thereafter went to the house of Sheikh Adamu Misira and opened fire on him and his people, killing at least more than 10 people on the spot.

“I cannot tell how any soldiers died, but one of them spoke to me on the phone saying he escaped but did not comment on the casualties,” he said.

He said nobody as at the time of filing this report had left Nafada.

“They told us that nobody should run, everybody should stay put and nobody should leave his home and that if we heard of the arrival of security operatives, we should just go inside and lock ourselves indoors and leave them to us,” he said.

At the time of speaking to the source at 4.10 pm yesterday, he said the security agents were yet to arrive the town.

When contacted, the telephone of the spokesman of the Gombe State Police Command Atajiri Fwaje (DSP) was switched off.

The state Police Commissioner Kudu Nma, who spoke to newsmen, said he was yet to hear of the incident. He however promised to brief the press as details of the attack reached him.

In another incident, six people were reportedly killed and scores of buildings razed when suspected gunmen on Tuesday attacked Shinfidda village in Jibiya Council Area in Katsina State.

An eyewitness, Ado Baba, said residents of the village scampered for safety when the attackers stormed the area at noon wielding dangerous weapons including sophisticated guns.

Baba said the attackers, whom he claimed were suspected cattle rustlers on a robbery mission, were believed to have emerged from Dunburum forest that traverses Jibiya in Katsina, Zurmi in
Zamfara and Birnin Gwari in Kaduna State.

“They killed many people including innocent children and old people, and burnt houses. As I speak to you, I am in the bush where I ran for safety,” Baba said.

Another source told reporters that some youths of the village exchanged fire with the attackers, revealing that some of the attackers were killed but they ran away with their dead bodies.

It was further gathered that a detachment of security personnel comprising policemen, soldiers and men of the security and civil defence corps were drafted to the area to restore normalcy.

Spokesman of the Katsina Police Command, DSP Aminu Sadik Abubakar, declined comments when contacted.

Source

1 Share

Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by Nobody: 10:29pm On Nov 05, 2014
Even if a prophet told me 20 years ago that nigeria will turn out to be this way then I will never believe such prophecy but here it is,the country am very proud of some years back has suddenly turned into a very bad nation,GOD punish boko haram,GOD punish all the bad leaders in nigeria,GOD punish bad citizens of nigeria and GOD punish DEVIL......how I wish fela was alive.....I just hope this 2015 election will not be very bloody...

***angrily tears his boxers
***grin

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by Nobody: 10:37pm On Nov 05, 2014
God save Nigeria.
Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by Scout60(m): 10:39pm On Nov 05, 2014
Show us the pictures of boko haram and shekau moving about like kings in their so called territory
Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by Nobody: 10:47pm On Nov 05, 2014
phrenoz:
God save Nigeria.
my dear GOD has given us the power and knowledge to save ourselves but for selfish reasons those thugs we call our leaders are busy playing politics with the lives of millions of nigerians......some countries do not even pray as much as we do in nigeria and their country is better......the prayer we should be praying to GOD is to touch the heart of our bad leaders so that their dead conscience will come alive

4 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by Nobody: 10:53pm On Nov 05, 2014
wakacome:
my dear GOD has given us the power and knowledge to save ourselves but for selfish reasons those thugs we call our leaders are busy playing politics with the lives of millions of nigerians......some countries do not even pray as much as we do in nigeria and their country is better......the prayer we should be praying to GOD is to touch the heart of our bad leaders so that their dead conscience will come alive
Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by Nobody: 10:53pm On Nov 05, 2014
wakacome:
....have u lied today?...hv u judged anyone?..we all have our flaws...we need to be saved...d bad leaders anthem is so popular and has been popular since I was born...God save Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by Nobody: 10:58pm On Nov 05, 2014
phrenoz:
....have u lied today?...hv u judged anyone?..we all have our flaws...we need to be saved...d bad leaders anthem is so popular and has been popular since I was born...God save Nigeria
so GOD hates afghanistan?or he hates iraq?or he hates seirra leone?or he hates congo?are you saying this countries do not pray enough??like I said before GOD has blessed us with the wisdom and powers to save ourselves from the enemy....GOD will not come down to do it for us,that is why he said we should always pray for the power of wisdom,knowledge and understanding....the GOD save nigeria anthem is something we have been singing for more than 15 years,have you forgotten that the bible made us to understand that praying without work is nothing?....are you saying GOD did not want to save those that died at the bomb blasts which has been happening all over the country??What we as citizens and our leaders need to do is to practice what we preach,which means we should do what is right in order to win the enemies of progress
Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by seunlayi(m): 11:19pm On Nov 05, 2014
this is not a good time for Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by IGBOSON1: 11:31pm On Nov 05, 2014
wakacome:
Even if a prophet told me 20 years ago that nigeria will turn out to be this way then I will never believe such prophecy but here it is,the country am very proud of some years back has suddenly turned into a very bad nation,GOD punish boko haram,GOD punish all the bad leaders in nigeria,GOD punish bad citizens of nigeria and GOD punish DEVIL......how I wish fela was alive.....

***angrily tears his boxers
***grin

^^^What else did you expect!? A useless country parading as a true nation......that thought it could sweep unresolved issues under the carpet.....that thought everything is now ok and dandy once Biafra has been 'defeated'! They were only postponing the evil day, and now that day of reckoning has arrived and is knocking on the door while the once 'brave' occupants (that could easily murder women and children in cold blood) are now cowering under the bed in fear.....afraid to answer the door!

Karma!

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by ak47mann(m): 11:49pm On Nov 05, 2014
We can never be as nice as boko haram cool
Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by Litmus: 1:19am On Nov 06, 2014
In reality the only place Bokoharam is digging in is behind women and children. Its strange that the world does not make enough of this strange tactics of the Arabs of hiding behind women and children. I used to think of Muslims as true warriors but this hiding behind women baffles me. The West keeps indirectly praising the prowess of Afghanistan people, we hear how for centuries the Western powers have always come unstuck in that nation in military campaigns, the Russians for instance, but i didn't think that the Afghanistanis fought by attacking Western forces and then running back to hide either in the mountains or behind women and children in the villages. The world should laugh at these people.

One cannot even argue that suicide bombing is some exclusive act of courage that redeems them because the Japanese committed suicidal acts during the second world war and hundreds of years Ago African Shaka Zulus' warriors used to throw themselves to their deaths off the edges of cliffs as a show of respect to Shaka. Today young Africans do it for Bokoharam.

Bokoharam are online -so, to you people, i say Cowards. You people would not last a week if you came out and fought the Nigerian army like men instead of hiding among civilian populations. If Nigerian Soldiers should go to Mubi today, they wont see Bokoharam they would see ordinary civilians some of them terrorists. The Nigerian army wont be able to shoot because of fear of killing innocent people and then when the army least expects it these people will come out from behind women and children, attack and then melt back under the skirt of women and children. In the annals of human conflict these Islamic terrorists must be the most shameless foes ever faced.

Isis fighters keep going online to taunt Americans to come fight them on the ground instead of dropping bombs from the sky-what a laugh. If American soldiers enter the battlefields these Isis would go and hide among innocent women and children and America's hands would be tied much like Nigerian Army. The world should taunt these people for the cowards that they are.
Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by luluosas(m): 3:38am On Nov 06, 2014
Sad!
This is happening and we supposedly had a federal, state and local government authorities around these troubled zone.
May the LORD JESUS CHRIST intervene in the affairs of the commoners of Nigeria today, who are left to the mercy of Islamic terrorists in the North in JESUS name I pray. Amen.
Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by BabaEleko(m): 4:33am On Nov 06, 2014
Scout60:
Show us the pictures of boko haram and shekau moving about like kings in their so called territory

You no get camera or u no sabi the way to Mubi.
Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by ROCKJ1(m): 4:39am On Nov 06, 2014
I'd this not Adamawa? That has big men like Atiku, nuhu Ribadu, buba maruwa, ?
Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by bunmioguns(m): 4:49am On Nov 06, 2014
I have somebody that just fled from Mubi. She said that it is real. This people have hosted their flag in this town and they have taken control of the town claiming they are not among Nigeria anymore.

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by lonelydora: 5:53am On Nov 06, 2014
Any civilian in that town should try as much as possible to flee because soon Nigerian Military will recapture that town. And it's not going to be a small war.

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by charsol: 6:48am On Nov 06, 2014
No election for adamawa......YES YES YES YES!!!!!
Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by Afroconnect: 7:09am On Nov 06, 2014
phrenoz:
Guy it beats me why you supporters of this our president who seem incapable will go to any lenght to suport him.
America has liars,criminals,drug dealers-but is the country not running well-are insurgents holding any part of it?
We have a failed leadership.
Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by Nobody: 12:13pm On Nov 06, 2014
wakacome:
so GOD hates afghanistan?or he hates iraq?or he hates seirra leone?or he hates congo?are you saying this countries do not pray enough??like I said before GOD has blessed us with the wisdom and powers to save ourselves from the enemy....GOD will not come down to do it for us,that is why he said we should always pray for the power of wisdom,knowledge and understanding....the GOD save nigeria anthem is something we have been singing for more than 15 years,have you forgotten that the bible made us to understand that praying without work is nothing?....are you saying GOD did not want to save those that died at the bomb blasts which has been happening all over the country??What we as citizens and our leaders need to do is to practice what we preach,which means we should do what is right in order to win the enemies of progress
...GOD SAVE NIGERIA!!!!
Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by Nobody: 12:27pm On Nov 06, 2014
phrenoz:
...GOD SAVE NIGERIA!!!!
grin grin grin
Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by Litmus: 2:06pm On Nov 06, 2014
People might think, oh but Bokoharam attack military bases. But Actually if you read dispassionately it become apparent that they study these out of the way bases and when the military there are few or less than alert, they mount attack. The Military, unprepared, because of lack of intelligence, retreat in disarray, Bokoharam swam all over the place take video for publicity purposes and then flee when some solider calls in Alpha jets. The Alpha jets strafe the Bokos asses and surviving Boko fled and melts into the surrounding area. And when Military return better prepared there's no Bokoharam to be found because they have melted into the local population where they protect themselves under women's skirt and little children's smiles.

Boko may plant black flag and terrorize the local population but that's no bases for the Military to fight back. You cant go into these towns with tanks and columns of soldiers and then have to rely on local people pointing out who is a terrorist and who is not one by one. If these Towns were simply occupied by Bokoharam the Nigerian army would flatten the towns in one day.

Bokoharam, their sponsors, Isis are all cowards. These cowards would not last a month against a proper standing army like that of Nigeria if they came out and fought without resorting to cowardly methods.
Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by Nobody: 2:32pm On Nov 06, 2014
Afroconnect:

Guy it beats me why you supporters of this our president who seem incapable will go to any lenght to suport him.
America has liars,criminals,drug dealers-but is the country not running well-are insurgents holding any part of it?
We have a failed leadership.
...I'm a girl,GOD SAVE NIGERIA!!!!
Re: Boko Haram Digs In, Renames Mubi Madinatul Islam by kalet55(m): 3:51pm On Nov 06, 2014
Just remember to vote for me when the time comes

(1) (Reply)

PDP Raises Fresh Allegation Against Jega / Imo State Must Not Go To APC / Warrant Of Arrest Allegedly Issued For Kola Aluko (diezani's Front Man)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.