Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:49 AM

Where Are The African Programmers? Show Yourselves!!! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Where Are The African Programmers? Show Yourselves!!! (720 Views)

"African Programmers Need The 'Heatles Chemistry' In Order To Make It" / The Hidden Trap That Is Killing The African Internet Entrepreneurs / Azigo Game App! The African Board Game. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Where Are The African Programmers? Show Yourselves!!! by africanaija: 11:51pm On Nov 05, 2014
Hundreds of qualified computer science students (commonly referred to as IT students) graduate from our universities every year. Yet, for some strange reason, these people are virtually ghosts on the Internet. A simple test: try googling programmers in Accra. Understand what I mean now?

This is the frustration of many individuals/groups looking to contact such an invaluable human resource be it for job positions, collaboration opportunities or even for regular meetings/discussions. Really, "where are the African programmers"? Imagine the potential of having access to such human resource. The possibility of having meetings (Rails conferences for example) in Africa - specifically Accra city, where I live - excites me enough to attempt to solve this problem in my small corner. I will try and solve this the only way I know how - through software development.

I propose an online directory of African programmers. A place where anyone can search programmers based on say, community, programming language, project interests, gender, age brackets etc I hope to build this using Ruby on Rails (because that's what am currently studying). Usually when I ask for help on this blog, I hardly receive it. This time, if you are reading this make an effort. Your help is very welcome. You may even suggest what this project should be called at the very least. I am looking forward to collaborations on this project, tweet at me and let's start ideation.

Original Post - http://nadjetey.github.io/2014/06/where-are-the-african-coders/
Re: Where Are The African Programmers? Show Yourselves!!! by Hawlahscho(m): 12:07am On Nov 06, 2014
Something like a search engine right? but I'll have an advanced option to filter what one needs.
that's nice idea, it pains me am a small programmer, would av joined you bro.
Re: Where Are The African Programmers? Show Yourselves!!! by Celebrimbor(m): 12:21am On Nov 06, 2014
[color=#000099][/color]NOTED[b]NOTED[/b]NOTED

(1) (Reply)

Windows 10 Will Be A Free Upgrade For People Running Windows 8 And Windows 7 / In Need Of Android Developer That Specializes In Beautiful Front-end Development / Yoast Meta Box Is Not Working On Wordpress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.