Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,818,004 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

Are You Very Good In English Language? Then Come In - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are You Very Good In English Language? Then Come In (847 Views)

Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} / Literature-in-english Online Tutorial For UTME 2014/2015 / Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Very Good In English Language? Then Come In by tolu4you: 1:32pm On Nov 06, 2014
Whats the meaning of this quote
"There is a tide in the affairs of men which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune."
lets see how good you are.....
say a qoute and other nlders give us the meaning
over to you
Re: Are You Very Good In English Language? Then Come In by Nobody: 1:38pm On Nov 06, 2014
Took me all of 5 seconds to decipher. I have my interpretation cached. Let's see what others have got.

1 Like

Re: Are You Very Good In English Language? Then Come In by PROCTOR: 1:56pm On Nov 06, 2014
Tell us then
CoolHunk:
Took me all of 5 seconds to decipher. I have my interpretation cached. Let's see what others have got.
Re: Are You Very Good In English Language? Then Come In by PROCTOR: 2:20pm On Nov 06, 2014
tolu4you:
"There is a tide in the affairs of men which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune."
over to you
it means you have a choice,you can take the easy road or not.if you take the easy road.your life will be unfullfilling and meaningless.you miss out on life,
if you take the hard road.you find happiness and a meaningfull life
Re: Are You Very Good In English Language? Then Come In by Nobody: 3:25pm On Nov 06, 2014
i think it means if you do the right thing at the right time you shall find success

1 Like

Re: Are You Very Good In English Language? Then Come In by UniqueGem(m): 5:02pm On Nov 06, 2014
tolu4you:
over to you
let's do it objectively;
**There Is A Tide In The Affairs Of Men: this means that there is a clause to everything man does, like in the sea, the alternate rising and falling of the sea. So in this quote, Tide means the Upper and lower side of the affairs of men.
**Taken At The Flood, Leads To Success: Flood here is in form of a way(a route) which we all know won't be an easy route. So the quote is saying if you take the hard way in life, u're bound to more success(fortune). Remember, the higher the risk, the higher the reap.
IN PLAIN: The quote means, There are two choices in everything man does, the easy and the hard(flood/risky). If you take the Hard(risky) way, you're bound to more fortune.
Re: Are You Very Good In English Language? Then Come In by Nobody: 6:12pm On Nov 06, 2014
tolu4you:
over to you

It means correct timing of events often leads to opportunities that deliver wealth, material or ortherwise
Re: Are You Very Good In English Language? Then Come In by tolu4you: 6:20pm On Nov 06, 2014
UniqueGem:
let's do it objectively;
**There Is A Tide In The Affairs Of Men: this means that there is a clause to everything man does, like in the sea, the alternate rising and falling of the sea. So in this quote, Tide means the Upper and lower side of the affairs of men.
**Taken At The Flood, Leads To Success: Flood here is in form of a way(a route) which we all know won't be an easy route. So the quote is saying if you take the hard way in life, u're bound to more success(fortune). Remember, the higher the risk, the higher the reap.
IN PLAIN: The quote means, There are two choices in everything man does, the easy and the hard(flood/risky). If you take the Hard(risky) way, you're bound to more fortune.
this one is beautiful

(1) (Reply)

School Of Management Studies, Lugbe / New Challenge / Unilag Alumni In Da House Please Help A Sis!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.