Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,408 members, 7,822,890 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:46 PM

Why Are Lagosians So Aggressive? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Lagosians So Aggressive? (1176 Views)

Photos: Military prepared to take on massive aggressive APC supporters in Rivers / God Saved Me. Some APC Followers So Aggressive. / We Are Lagosians – Ewe People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Lagosians So Aggressive? by miqos02(m): 2:52pm On Nov 06, 2014
It was a typical Monday morning in Lagos. Having made a decision the night before not to drive to work, I woke up as early as 5am to beat the long line of traffic that has become a daily feature on the Lekki-Epe Expressway in the Ajah area of Lagos. For those who are not resident in the area, the Ajah-Lekki traffic is a nightmare that is better imagined than experienced. For residents who have to use the expressway, commuting is always an experience in “shuffering and smiling” (apologies to the late Afro beat legend, Fela Anikulapo-Kuti). The beginning of every week holds something special for motorists plying the route. On the Monday that I tried as hard as I could to wake up early and get out of the house before the traffic built up, I still ended up getting caught up in the maze of cars and commercial buses driven by “crazy” drivers.

Inside the bus, passengers were agitated. Even when they saw that the driver was not the cause of the traffic, they still vented their frustrations on him. “Oga driver, why you dey drive like this now? Hurry up, yeye man”. The driver ignored their complaints. He stopped at every bus station to pick passengers. He was quick to remind those complaining that his vehicle is a commercial bus and that he bought it to make money. His petulance infuriated the passengers the more. When they saw he would not do a “James Bond” driving, they directed their anger at the conductor.
The passengers asked for a refund. But the conductor, who had been smart enough to collect his fares before the bus left the station, ignored them. He clung precariously to the door, poking his head dangerously and nonchalantly out of the window, away from the altercations. As the bus crawled along, one man who sat behind me suddenly became violent. He threatened to “deal” with the conductor. But the tough-looking conductor ignored his threats. In Lagos, conductors are used to different kinds of passengers – including the violent ones. This particular one was as tough as they come. He made it clear that the man should not mess with him. His response to the refund request was characteristic: “E be like say una dey craze?”. Then, the inevitable happened.

From the seat behind me, the man threw a punch that wheezed past me, barely missing my jaw. The punch connected with the face of the conductor, sending him reeling backward. The stage had been set for the first fight of the day. The conductor came back at the man with a more decisive punch that found his jaw. By this time, the driver had parked the bus to a lay-by. Instead of mediating, he joined the fight. Onlookers gathered. As the fight raged on, I observed the unfolding scenario. It was pointless trying to retrieve my money from the conductor. I instantly regretted the decision not to drive myself to work. Nonetheless, I got another bus and quickly left the scene.

http://www.punchng.com/opinion/why-are-lagosians-so-aggressive/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Lagosians So Aggressive? by miqos02(m): 2:52pm On Nov 06, 2014
Welcome to Lagos, a city where anger, hostility, verbal and physical aggression characterise daily living and interaction among the residents. There seems to be something about Lagos that turns its residents into belligerents. A typical resident is aggressive, combative and pugnacious. In Lagos, there is always a foreboding air of trouble hanging in the air. From brawling “area boys”, to aggressive motorists, cantankerous neighbours and shylock landlords, living in Lagos can be challenging. There is also something about Lagos that immediately transforms a new comer to quickly adapt to the life here. For Lagos residents, living in the city, forget about the megacity side of the mess, can never compare with life elsewhere. Even with the challenges, an average Lagos resident will always return after a stint outside. The aggression and hostility of “Lagos living” notwithstanding, this city still holds a lot of attraction for residents. Even Nigerians in the hinterlands dream of a life in a city that many love to hate.

While some Nigerians would give an arm to come to Lagos, some others like my friend who resides in Akure, the capital of Ondo State, hates Lagos with a passion. A few weeks ago, he was in town for an official visit. During his stay, he kept giving reasons why he could never live in Lagos. Incidentally, he was almost beaten up by a conductor for not having the exact fare one fateful evening.

Many Lagos residents also like to act the “big man”. The aggression in this city cuts across economic and social divide. The so-called elite are the worst “I will deal with you, do you know who I am’’, type? One Lagos “big man” threatened me that I would “rot” in jail over a minor traffic spat. He dropped the name of a Police Commissioner to impress. Have you also encountered a typical trader? God help you if you haggle too hard. The next thing will be to curse you out. “Oga, you be thief, come steal am now’’! But what I find most distressing is the road rage. They are just too many loonies driving on Lagos roads. Road rage in Lagos should be among the worst in the world-especially “danfo” bus drivers.

My experience in the bus earlier is an everyday scene in Lagos. In this city, “danfo” bus drivers are the worst species of human beings you can ever find anywhere. Apart from being rough and aggressive, they have no regard for human life and traffic regulations. It was little wonder then that the state government decided to subject Lagos drivers to a psychiatrist test recently. In Lagos, a small argument can easily degenerate into a fracas. Once at an intersection, two men engaged in a physical combat, throwing punches at each other in a way that would make Mike Tyson green with envy. The men were smartly dressed and actually looked like perfect “gentlemen”.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Lagosians So Aggressive? by miqos02(m): 2:53pm On Nov 06, 2014
Earlier at the bus station, an argument between another driver and one area boy who demanded to get paid by force led to a fight. Within seconds, the whole park erupted into a brawl. Street urchins popularly known as “area boys” wielding different kinds of weapons went on the rampage. One threatened to stab a driver with a broken bottle. We quickly left the park. Curiously, policemen at the scene looked on without bringing the situation under control.

Jungle justice is also common in the city. Once, a group of commercial bike riders nearly set a car ablaze because of a minor traffic issue. How can Lagos hope to promote tourism when this city and its residents are so aggressive and unwelcoming? Have you ever tried to ask for directions in Lagos? Some residents will be glad to misdirect you or even be suspicious of your intentions. Even the terrain can be unfriendly. There are still many roads without pedestrian walk. One has to constantly watch one’s back not to get run over by reckless drivers. This stands in contrast to other saner cities across the world.

As I walked into my office, later that day, my mind flashed back to the madness that played out earlier that morning. I then remembered that Fela sang years ago that on Monday mornings, Lagos does not condone nonsense!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Lagosians So Aggressive? by redsun(m): 2:57pm On Nov 06, 2014
Nigerians are aggressive because the country is officially an aggressive society. Aggressions are taught at homes,schools,churches,offices, police,military and every where. It is an accepted norm.
Re: Why Are Lagosians So Aggressive? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Nov 06, 2014
hmmm
Re: Why Are Lagosians So Aggressive? by Nobody: 3:01pm On Nov 06, 2014
redsun:
Nigerians are aggressive because the country is officially an aggressive society. Aggressions are taught at homes,schools,churches,offices, police,military and every where. It is an accepted norm.

So, you are aggressive? Weldon oooo.
Re: Why Are Lagosians So Aggressive? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Nov 06, 2014
Lagos is by far the most uncivil place in Nigeria which makes it the most uncivil city in the world.

I hated Lagos the most after returning from abroad in MMA.

The immigration guys were like touts. There was begging from every uniformed staff in the luggage claim section but the worst was when I departed the arrival hall to the aggressive stares of would be armed robbers and touts masquerading as car hire .

1 Like

Re: Why Are Lagosians So Aggressive? by Dbestmax(m): 3:05pm On Nov 06, 2014
Because they and amongst other Nigerians

HATE LONG STORIES !!!!
Re: Why Are Lagosians So Aggressive? by JeffreyJamez(m): 3:18pm On Nov 06, 2014
Everybody just want to have a reason to bash lagos shaaaaaa....... Why Na?......we dey stay the Lagos we Don die?........if you cannot cope pack your load and go to your village Na...shuo!!

Lagos is this,Lagos is that,But you will still stay mcheww
Re: Why Are Lagosians So Aggressive? by redsun(m): 3:19pm On Nov 06, 2014
nnafather:

So, you are aggressive? Weldon oooo.

To a great extent as a "Nigerian" but I learnt to deal with it. We taught children to be aggressive by beating them at every little mistake they make,I.e,oyedepo, yet we complain of violence.

We need to understand how devastating mere anger burst up could be,talk less of forceful heating,then we might begin to have a sane society where laws are obeyed rationally.
Re: Why Are Lagosians So Aggressive? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Nov 06, 2014
Lagos should be renamed Chaos.
Re: Why Are Lagosians So Aggressive? by Omexonomy: 4:36pm On Nov 06, 2014
Just like the frustrated political office holder in lagos with amala and ewedu for brain matter most people in lagos are frustrated to the extent that they dont know what they are doing.
Re: Why Are Lagosians So Aggressive? by tsolz800: 4:54pm On Nov 06, 2014
Omexonomy:
Just like the frustrated political office holder in lagos with amala and ewedu for brain matter most people in lagos are frustrated to the extent that they dont know what they are doing.

PAUL ONIVEFU ASISHANA , wetin my tribe people do you na? grin
The insurgents are on you bro..keep on running to the mods, they can't save you..
Stop insulting the Odua Nation..Anyways we are gonna invite you to our Party soon ..be prepared son.. grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Lagosians So Aggressive? by MostIncredibleDFirst: 8:10pm On Dec 31, 2019
JeffreyJamez:
Everybody just want to have a reason to bash lagos shaaaaaa....... Why Na?......we dey stay the Lagos we Don die?........if you cannot cope pack your load and go to your village Na...shuo!!

Lagos is this,Lagos is that,But you will still stay mcheww
Your comment on this issue is an example of the typical Lagos combative and aggressive behavior which the op is talking about. A person who is new in Lagos would easily agree with the op. Lagosians always appear to be in a hurry, but not having much much to show for their hurriness. Many lagosians work hard, but don't work smart. What is prevailing in Lagos is constant motion, without movement. 80% of the lagosians are psychological stressed and frustrated. This explains the reason for the hostile and anti social behavior which Lagos is known for.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Lagosians So Aggressive? by scribble: 8:23pm On Dec 31, 2019
Dope thread
Re: Why Are Lagosians So Aggressive? by scribble: 8:25pm On Dec 31, 2019
OP wetin do d link na @miqos02

(1) (Reply)

Leave Me Alone, Concentrate On Issues, Jonathan Tells Senate / Top 25 Dictators Of All Time / Did Buhari Make Nigeriajoin The Organisation Ofislamic Countries (OIC)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.