Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,562 members, 7,865,336 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 04:00 PM

2 Feared Dead, 20 Injured In Stampede At Akwa Ibom New Stadium - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 2 Feared Dead, 20 Injured In Stampede At Akwa Ibom New Stadium (1164 Views)

Akwa Ibom Stadium, Nominated As World Stadium Of The Year (Pic) / Photos: Super Eagles Final Training At Akwa Ibom International Stadium / Nigerian Vs Ghana Flags Digitalised At Akwa Ibom New Stadium (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2 Feared Dead, 20 Injured In Stampede At Akwa Ibom New Stadium by Franchise21(m): 8:06pm On Nov 07, 2014
Two people are feared dead while 20 others suffered
various degrees of injuries during a stampede at the
inauguration ceremony of a new stadium in Akwa Ibom
state, the News Agency of Nigeria is reporting.
It is not clear yet what caused the stampede but an
international friendly between the home-based senior
national team of Nigeria, Super Eagles B, and the U-23
National Team of Ghana, the Black Meteors, was fixed to
mark the ceremony.
“It is possible football fans were scrambling to enter the
stadium to watch the match. That’s what I heard,” an Uyo
resident, who said he is on his way to the facility, said.
But while the NAN correspondent at the stadium reported
a stampede, the state Commissioner of Police, Isaac Achong,
said, “there was no stampede, there was only crowd
control. We are only controlling the crowd entering the
stadium.”
When told that journalists at the stadium reported a
stampede, he said, “I’m not aware” and terminated the call.
The President of Ghana, John Mahama and the Ivorian
Head of State, Alassane Ouattara were all expected in Uyo
to open the new edifice.
Apart from Presidents Jonathan, Mahama and Ouattara, a
number of governors from across Nigeria are expected,
while the President of the Nigeria Football Federation,
Amaju Melvin Pinnick and some Executive Committee
members and Management staff arrived Uyo on Thursday
evening.
The 30,000 – capacity venue, with a bullet –proof State Box
that has 70 seats, has been described by the Vice President
of Ghana Football Association, Fred Crentsil (who was sent
by CAF to inspect the venue) as being “among the best you
can find anywhere in the world”.
Governor Godswill Akpabio, who is the chief host, is
showcasing the majestic facility, which has already been
approved by the Confederation of African Football for the
crucial 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier between
Nigeria and South Africa on November 19, as one of the
key infrastructure he has delivered for the oil-rich State.
Re: 2 Feared Dead, 20 Injured In Stampede At Akwa Ibom New Stadium by okpismart: 8:07pm On Nov 07, 2014
No fewer than two persons have been stampeded to death while 20 others are in critical conditions having suffered various degrees of injuries at the inauguration ceremony of the new ultramodern new stadium in Akwa Ibom state.

Source: http://.com.ng/index.php/national-news/item/1128-2-dead-20-injured-in-stampede-at-akwa-ibom-new-stadium
Re: 2 Feared Dead, 20 Injured In Stampede At Akwa Ibom New Stadium by freshness2020: 8:12pm On Nov 07, 2014
...the stadium need blood!
..RIP to τ̲̅ђe unfortunate one's!
Re: 2 Feared Dead, 20 Injured In Stampede At Akwa Ibom New Stadium by adebayo201: 9:02pm On Nov 07, 2014
what more comfort can one derives from a white plastic chair in his house, sipping kunu to see the commissioning of a stadium!

one person go cm here now, come dey tell us say na God kill them. *tck*

angry
Re: 2 Feared Dead, 20 Injured In Stampede At Akwa Ibom New Stadium by rayblast(m): 9:28pm On Nov 07, 2014
okpismart:

Source: http://.com.ng/index.php/national-news/item/1128-2-dead-20-injured-in-stampede-at-akwa-ibom-new-stadium
See mi see local wahala o!!!Stampede kwa?and una dey dorobuchi for inside stadium?if na like dis fans for akwa ibom go dey rush enter stadium dey kill dem sef make everybOdy wey must cum watch match dey bring chair from him house
Re: 2 Feared Dead, 20 Injured In Stampede At Akwa Ibom New Stadium by Sijo01(f): 9:50pm On Nov 07, 2014
Franchise21:

When told that journalists at the stadium reported a
stadium,

http:///rBo1jFWCWu

I don't gerit.

op, review your post.
Re: 2 Feared Dead, 20 Injured In Stampede At Akwa Ibom New Stadium by TheSonOfMark(m): 1:48am On Nov 08, 2014
Not happy with the developmental strides in my state, are you? Trying to take the shine of our glory? Jealous?
It's not our fault your state governors are underperforming, is it? Hate-filled simpletons!

cc: nigerianvenom, atouke, rexxie, mrwhoknows

1 Like

Re: 2 Feared Dead, 20 Injured In Stampede At Akwa Ibom New Stadium by Franchise21(m): 3:28am On Nov 08, 2014
Sijo01:

I don't gerit.

op, review your post.
Fixed
Re: 2 Feared Dead, 20 Injured In Stampede At Akwa Ibom New Stadium by shakol91(m): 7:28am On Nov 08, 2014
embarassed Source http://sunnewsonline.net/news/
stampede-at-akwa-ibom-stadium-
inauguration-2-feared-dead-20-others-
injured&sa=U&ei=vrldVO-
HLMbtaOGCgpgP&ved=0CCIQFjAIOAo&usg=AFQjCN
embarassed RIP to the dead,this is what happened when
you over-hype things. when I was watching the
event yesterday,I thought I was watching
Nigeria independence day(different groups
with different attire)WTF . If the stadium was
up to 80k capacity,I believe john f kennedy
dead body will be invited and Micheal jackson
will be invited to sing. Nigerians settling for less
since 1914
Re: 2 Feared Dead, 20 Injured In Stampede At Akwa Ibom New Stadium by shakol91(m): 7:29am On Nov 08, 2014
!
Re: 2 Feared Dead, 20 Injured In Stampede At Akwa Ibom New Stadium by Danycrusoe(m): 7:53am On Nov 08, 2014
[quote author=TheSonOfMark post=27820992] Not happy with the developmental strides in my state, are you? Trying to take the shine of our glory? Jealous?
It's not our fault your state governors are underperforming, is it? Hate-filled simpletons!
Re: 2 Feared Dead, 20 Injured In Stampede At Akwa Ibom New Stadium by TheSonOfMark(m): 8:11am On Nov 08, 2014
Danycrusoe:
abeg sharrap, what r u saying sef.. Ppl lost dier lives at d opening of d stadium yet u r sayin dey r jealous of ur achievement, who is jealous nd trying to take shine off our glory?! Am from Ogun state nd we av like 5different stadia across d state. Dnt b carried away by d aesthetic feature of d stadium. We r talking about human lives here nt goats

Hey simpleton, you see how green and blind your envy of my state has made you? Did you listen to the network news this morning ? Did you hear any news of death as against stampede which happens everywhere? Just because the O.P presented a link to some shitty 'news' site you think that gives enough credibility to the news of DEATH?

It's you and your kind I like to call 'LEXIDIOTS' (LEXICAL I.DIOTS) - believing everything you read gullibly without critically analyzing it. FOOL!

1 Like

Re: 2 Feared Dead, 20 Injured In Stampede At Akwa Ibom New Stadium by nigerianvenom(m): 4:21pm On Nov 08, 2014
sily news,silly link,silly op and silly topic.
since u keep wishing others dead,u shall surely reap ur reward aswell.u couldnt report the progressive nature of akwa ibom and is development, all u could do was to report fake and foolish news.
shame on u

1 Like

Re: 2 Feared Dead, 20 Injured In Stampede At Akwa Ibom New Stadium by nigerianvenom(m): 4:25pm On Nov 08, 2014
TheSonOfMark:
Not happy with the developmental strides in my state, are you? Trying to take the shine of our glory? Jealous?

cc: nigerianvenom, atouke, rexxie, mrwhoknows

dont mind the sily op and his silly post.what ever he wishes akwa ibom with go back to him.
Re: 2 Feared Dead, 20 Injured In Stampede At Akwa Ibom New Stadium by RSA(m): 5:20pm On Nov 08, 2014
This Is Africa, blood gotta be spilled, gotta please the spirits grin
Re: 2 Feared Dead, 20 Injured In Stampede At Akwa Ibom New Stadium by Nobody: 6:26pm On Nov 08, 2014
Danycrusoe:
abeg sharrap, what r u saying sef, so because ur state now has d best stadium in W.Africa, d tragic incident shouldn't be reported??!!. Ppl lost dier lives at d opening of d stadium yet u r sayin dey r jealous of ur achievement, who is jealous nd trying to take shine off our glory?! Am from Ogun state nd we av like 5different stadia across d state. Dnt b carried away by d aesthetic feature of d stadium. We r talking about human lives here nt goats
RIP 2 d dead
i bet u're so dumb not read btw da lines n see that da sonofmark guy was only replying those cynical n sarcastic hunk heads who posted thrash after da equally cynical op,huh? n if u aint also a goddamm hunkie_headie,why didntcha reprimand those whistling_arsses 1st n at da same time,why bring in da 5 what_did_u_call'em_again?-2da discourse on here? n dabloodyhell u refering to as aesthetic? U indeed sound jealous as well,aintcha? Anyways,kudos to akpabio n da lovely ppl of A'Ibom and rip to those who lost their lives in da unfortunate stampede. n thats ,of cos,if this is authetic.Peace..
Re: 2 Feared Dead, 20 Injured In Stampede At Akwa Ibom New Stadium by Franchise21(m): 7:54am On Nov 10, 2014
nigerianvenom:
sily news,silly link,silly op and silly topic.
since u keep wishing others dead,u shall surely reap ur reward aswell.u couldnt report the progressive nature of akwa ibom and is development, all u could do was to report fake and foolish news.
shame on u
shut up ur silly n illiterate mouth. I only posted it here cos I came across it on premium times. Never said M wishing anyone dead, y wud I? Twuz d way I saw it on premium times dat I posted it. Next tym, try n b reasonable before u start pouring out curses on a social platform. U myt nt b dis LUCKY next tym

(1) (Reply)

Photo: A Man Playing For Iran Women National Team, See Number 10 / What Is Wrong With This Photo(nairabet Edition) / This Week NPFL Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.