Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,310 members, 7,954,237 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:11 PM

Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... (6894 Views)

. / Failed Acceleration On EOD / 2001 Nissan Maxima Acceleration Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by rainmaker12(m): 12:53pm On Nov 08, 2014
Sometimes you feel you need to get there faster...expecially at night... so when the toll barriers are lifted up, u step on the accelerator like never before and the car jumps to the next gear with ultimate response, getting to the 4th gear you found out your stock to 140kmh, stepping out of the pedal for a moment, you hit again, what seems impossible became....... (I reserve my word) giving you the access of up to 7500rpm you feel the power coming out of the exhaust channel as the car jerks to 180kmh getting ready for the next flight of 200kmh....
If I may ask what are the disadvantaged of such high rpm and advantages if any.

1 Like

Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Nobody: 3:57pm On Nov 08, 2014
Gazzuzz, CityNG, nurey, denn oya over to you guys. This one don pass my power. I don't know if he's imagining it or doing it.

2 Likes

Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Nobody: 5:05pm On Nov 08, 2014
You know I wrote a long thesis but I deleted it.

I remember the OP telling me to keep my opinions to myself on another thread wink

1 Like

Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Denn(m): 5:26pm On Nov 08, 2014
Don't cut a man's dreams....

OP, just flick the nitro switch and bring us to season 2 sharp sharp

1 Like

Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:31pm On Nov 08, 2014
I do it all the time grin my engines don't last so long sad

4 Likes

Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by doroboss(m): 5:41pm On Nov 08, 2014
rainmaker12:
Sometimes you feel you need to get there faster...expecially at night... so when the toll barriers are lifted up, u step on the accelerator like never before and the car jumps to the next gear with ultimate response, getting to the 4th gear you found out your stock to 140kmh, stepping out of the pedal for a moment, you hit again, what seems impossible became....... (I reserve my word) giving you the access of up to 7500rpm you feel the power coming out of the exhaust channel as the car jerks to 180kmh getting ready for the next flight of 200kmh....
If I may ask what are the disadvantaged of such high rpm and advantages if any.

grin grin grin grin

I suggest you listen to "drive slow" by kanye west you might have a re-think

4 Likes

Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by chillex8(m): 7:05pm On Nov 08, 2014
I do it with reckless abandon

Why is it there if it can't be fired up.

Light up the acetylene

4 Likes

Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by nurey(m): 10:07pm On Nov 08, 2014
All I can say is "shutup and drive" and you know the rest. I don't Rev my car upto that limit and I have never surpassed 5xxxrpm but if you are a gamer like me when playing need 4 speed from most wanted to underground and etc you notice when you REV your engine too much trying to surpass the red zone then you get ENGINE TOTALLED, you wouldn't like that to happen to you on an express cause the speed demons coming behind you will RAM you silly. Lol

1 Like

Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Lexusgs430: 11:55pm On Nov 08, 2014
Not always advisable to hit the redline, if your engine does have the ability to maintain such engine destruction.
Vehicles like Honda S2000, BMW M3, M5, Celica vvtli etc etc etc
Perform @ optimum when the red line is engaged.
Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by rainmaker12(m): 1:24am On Nov 09, 2014
smiley beefers
Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Nobody: 4:29am On Nov 09, 2014
Lexusgs430:
Not always advisable to hit the redline, if your engine does have the ability to maintain such engine destruction.
Vehicles like Honda S2000, BMW M3, M5, Celica vvtli etc etc etc
Perform @ optimum when the red line is engaged.

That's not true.

There is no need to ever go into your red line for prolonged times.

Torque is what you need and that occurs at low rpms, unless of course they are on a closed track and doing speed contests then all bets are off.

On a side note, I am getting a better understanding on why well designed cars become a wreck as soon as they land on the shores of Nigeria.

All these high rpm shenanigans, coupled with bad oil and gas plus our total lack of regimented maintenance culture spells doom to vehicles.

2 Likes

Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Lexusgs430: 4:32am On Nov 09, 2014
CityNG:

That's not true.

Torque is what you need and that occurs at low rpms, unless of course they are on a closed track and doing speed contests then all bets are off.

On a side note, I am getting a better understanding on why well designed cars become a wreck as soon as they land on the shores of Nigeria.

All these high rpm shenanigans, coupled with bad oil and gas plus our total lack of regimented maintenance culture spells doom to vehicles.

I never mentioned prolonged times. The configuration of the engine, determines if redlining is agreeable with your engine.
Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Nobody: 4:39am On Nov 09, 2014
Lexusgs430:

I never mentioned prolonged times. The configuration of the engine, determines if redlining is agreeable with your engine.

And I never said you mentioned prolonged times.

Any foray into the redline is bad for the engine hence why the engineers placed a redline limiter on ALL mass produced engines.

The configuration of the engine has no effect on the rpm. Some cars have a higher than normal redline, S2000 and any Rotary engine as examples.
Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Lexusgs430: 4:47am On Nov 09, 2014
CityNG:

And I never said you mentioned prolonged times.

Any foray into the redline is bad for the engine hence why the engineers placed a redline limiter on ALL mass produced engines.

The configuration of the engine has no effect on the rpm. Some cars have a higher than normal redline, S2000 and any Rotary engine as examples.

I will stick to my original point, some engines like the S2000 (which I own, is safer to redline).
Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Nobody: 5:03am On Nov 09, 2014
Lexusgs430:

I will stick to my original point, some engines like the S2000 (which I own, is safer to redline).

That's fine but you're still wrong.

No car is safe to take to redline. I don't own a S2000 but I read up on them extensively.

Power drops of at around 8,300 so going to 9,000 is simply a waste and valve float will occur.

You are free to drive your car as you wish but I will discourage others not do bounce off the rev limiter as it's totally unnecessary. There's no power up there.

"max hp and tq doesn't occur at red line or rev limiter rpm" - http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/1010576-how-often-do-you-redline/

Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Lexusgs430: 5:08am On Nov 09, 2014
CityNG:

That's fine but you're still wrong.

No car is safe to take to redline. I don't own a S2000 but I read up on them extensively.

Power drops of at around 8,300 so going to 9,000 is simply a waste and valve float will occur.

You are free to drive your car as you wish but I will discourage others not do bounce off the rev limiter as it's totally unnecessary. There's no power up there.

"max hp and tq doesn't occur at red line or rev limiter rpm" - http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/1010576-how-often-do-you-redline/

When you are on a track, you would understand the excitement of redlining !!!
Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Nobody: 5:09am On Nov 09, 2014
Lexusgs430:

When you are on a track, you would understand the excitement of redlining !!!

Trust me, I'm the last person you want to preach to about being on the track (both in a car and on a bike), performance driving/riding or redlining grin

Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Lexusgs430: 5:13am On Nov 09, 2014
CityNG:

Trust me, I'm the last person you want to preach to about being on the track (both in a car and on a bike), performance driving/riding or redlining grin

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redline
Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Lexusgs430: 5:18am On Nov 09, 2014
CityNG:

The Evo if properly setup would be a pleasure on the track (but the heavy maintenance service schedule). I Would not be caught on an okada (mum says they are not safe).
Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Nobody: 5:35am On Nov 09, 2014
Lexusgs430:

The Evo if properly setup would be a pleasure on the track (but the heavy maintenance service schedule). I Would not be caught on an okada (mum says they are not safe).

No extra maintenance than what you're doing on your S2000 but vastly superior cornering progress and even more so when weather turns nasty.

My has never liked motorcycles starting from my Triumph Tiger 750 that I rode in high school in the early 80's in Ibadan.

PS:

Evos are one o the few vehicles that do not need any setup to compete very well in SCCA.

Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Nobody: 5:41am On Nov 09, 2014
Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Lexusgs430: 5:46am On Nov 09, 2014
CityNG:

No extra maintenance than what you're doing on your S2000 but vastly superior cornering progress and even more so when weather turns nasty.

My has never liked motorcycles starting from my Triumph Tiger 750 that I rode in high school in the early 80's in Ibadan.

PS:

Evos are one o the few vehicles that do not need any setup to compete very well in SCCA.

http://www.rpw.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=312&Itemid=547
Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Lexusgs430: 5:49am On Nov 09, 2014
CityNG:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rev_limiter grin

Na eyinbo wey make pencil na him make eraser too.

So we are even !!!! We agree to disagree !!!

1 Like

Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Nobody: 5:56am On Nov 09, 2014
Lexusgs430:

http://www.rpw.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=312&Itemid=547

Any car can be upgraded.

Even a Ferrari that we all know is an epitome of automotive engineering

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/ferrari-f458.html

Just because upgrades are available doesn't mean the stock car is bad. That an upgrade path exists just means that the car is recognized as being receptive to upgrades.

grin
Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Nobody: 5:58am On Nov 09, 2014
Lexusgs430:

So we are even !!!! We agree to disagree !!!

No worries. Hopefully our fellow forumites have learned a thing or two from our tete a tete grin

1 Like

Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Lexusgs430: 6:40am On Nov 09, 2014
CityNG:

No worries. Hopefully our fellow forumites have learned a thing or two from our tete a tete grin

True !!!
Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Lexusgs430: 6:41am On Nov 09, 2014
CityNG:

Any car can be upgraded.

Even a Ferrari that we all know is an epitome of automotive engineering

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/ferrari-f458.html

Just because upgrades are available doesn't mean the stock car is bad. That an upgrade path exists just means that the car is recognized as being receptive to upgrades.

grin

Agreed !!!!
Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Nobody: 6:51am On Nov 09, 2014
CityNG:

That's not true.

City, some folks think hitting the redlines equates to speed. The 3 SUVs I've own I've never redlined. I've done up to 180km/hr in them and their tacho still read 3000rpm for V6 and 3500rpm for the i4. The higher the RPM, the more you flood the engine with fuel, the more the engine suffers stress built up, the higher your O2 sensors, heater sensors, and catalytic converters get damaged, worst nightmare engine blow out.

I've helped a friend in company of his mechanic pick a Nissan Xterra V6 from Lagos And I was heading to Ondo. His mechanic was driving and flooring the pedal with recless abandon all in a bid to push the truck to high speed. I warned him he could get something damaged he laughed and said "oga, you sef dey fear, why oyinbo put big engine inside motor and I no go fire am? No be today I dey fire motor and nothing go do engine" I stopped at Ondo only for me to receive a call from my guy to rush come to Lampese, Edo. I went there and discovered that the engine had a catastrophic blowout. The piston tore through the banks crankshaft got twisted, oil and water spilled and the engine was wrecked and that was the end of journey. They had to push the truck to a filling station just after Lampese where they stayed for three days and another engine had to be installed to continue the Journey.

1 Like

Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by doroboss(m): 7:24am On Nov 12, 2014
lomomike:

City, some folks think hitting the redlines equates to speed. The 3 SUVs I've own I've never redlined. I've done up to 180km/hr in them and their tacho still read 3000rpm for V6 and 3500rpm for the i4. The higher the RPM, the more you flood the engine with fuel, the more the engine suffers stress built up, the higher your O2 sensors, heater sensors, and catalytic converters get damaged, worst nightmare engine blow out.

I've helped a friend in company of his mechanic pick a Nissan Xterra V6 from Lagos And I was heading to Ondo. His mechanic was driving and flooring the pedal with recless abandon all in a bid to push the truck to high speed. I warned him he could get something damaged he laughed and said "oga, you sef dey fear, why oyinbo put big engine inside motor and I no go fire am? No be today I dey fire motor and nothing go do engine" I stopped at Ondo only for me to receive a call from my guy to rush come to Lampese, Edo. I went there and discovered that the engine had a catastrophic blowout. The piston tore through the banks crankshaft got twisted, oil and water spilled and the engine was wrecked and that was the end of journey. They had to push the truck to a filling station just after Lampese where they stayed for three days and another engine had to be installed to continue the Journey.

The engine was already faulty.

1 Like

Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Nobody: 10:24am On Nov 12, 2014
doroboss:

The engine was already faulty.
Na lie. The motor wasn't faulty in that SUV. The dumb mecho killed the engine by constantly pushing the rev counter to the redzones.

The actual term redline comes from the red bars
that are displayed on tachometers in cars starting at the rpm that denotes the redline for
the specific engine. Operating an engine in this
area is known as redlining. Straying into this area
usually does not mean instant engine failure, but may increase the chances of damaging the
engine.
www.wikipedia.com

1 Like

Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Nobody: 1:02pm On Nov 12, 2014
Even though it's educative and good banter, but it's still shocking that we have to have the discussion that red lining an average vehicle is bad for the engine.

It's one thing to occasionally red line an S2000 or Evo, cars that were designed with sportiness in mind but for the average Joe to be flogging a Nissan Xterra is another thing.

Here in the US, when you take a car into the dealership for warranty work due to engine damage, once they hook up the scanner and they find out that you've redlined the engine previously they'll deny the claim.

Most modern cars have a "black box" type of thing built in where the manufacturer can get historical data.
Re: Any Disadvantages For Rev A Car Up To 6000rpm Acceleration.... by Day169: 3:56pm On Nov 12, 2014
7500rpm? Whao! Most good engines can take it, n esp when u have the driving skills to complement it. Moreso when driving on great roads like German Autobahns. ..but in 9ja, 2 prerequisites are of utmost importance. ..
1. A Life Insurance policy.
2. A comprehensive Will.
These provoided, U're good to go.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rx330 Urgent Reviews Needed / The Effects Of Naira Devaluation On Car Prices / Memories Of Your First Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.