Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,752 members, 7,831,410 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty (1535 Views)

TB Joshua Gives Money To Deportees From Libya On Friday(pics / A Christian Group Feeds Muslim Beggars On Sallah Day (Photos) / See What This Dude Is Giving To God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by ogahlouiskid18(m): 10:25pm On Nov 08, 2014
This is coming from John Bird, the founder of ‘
Big Issue’ after Ed Miliband’s (is a British
Labour Party politician, currently the Leader of
the Labour Party and Leader of the Opposition.)
public appearances.When he gave some loose
change to a young beggar while he walked along
a street in Manchester last week.
Read John’s explanation below
If this was an attempt to parade his decency, it
backfired disastrously. Instead of looking
compassionate, he came across as foolish,
opportunistic and embarrassed. Much attention
has focused on the reportedly small sum he gave
the girl, later identified as a 14-year-old
Romanian immigrant. Miliband has also
attracted criticism for the disdainful look on his
face as he handed over the cash, as if he were
repelled by his own action.
It’s only human to feel that impulse to help — to
give a few coins to alleviate another’s misery
and, all too often, for that impulse to override
the quiet voice which asks: am I really helping?
The answer is no. Giving to a beggar might
momentarily salve the donor’s conscience, but in
the longer term it does absolutely nothing to
alleviate the plight of the recipient. On the
contrary, it locks the beggar in a downward
spiral of abject dependency and victimhood,
where all self-respect, honesty and hope are lost.
Indeed, by reinforcing the beggar’s pitiable
condition, a donation is really an act of cruelty
rather than kindness. If there is one thing most
beggars detest more than people who refuse to
give, it is those who do.
I should know, because I was a beggar for much
of my early life. Growing up in an Irish
immigrant family in London with a father who
made it his life’s mission to single-handedly
prop up the drinks trade, I first experienced
homelessness at the age of five, and between
the ages of seven and ten was raised in an
orphanage, supplementing my meagre pocket
money with what I could get on the streets.
there is far too much sentimentality and
cowardice in our political system, which has
been ruthlessly exploited by society’s parasites. I
have absolutely no time for the pathetic,
bleeding-heart mentality so prevalent these days
and which destroys traditional concepts of
morality and justice.
I firmly believe that anyone who breaks the law
or abuses our generosity should be deported not
protected by the morally perverted human rights
regime which allows them to remain in this
country on the basis of their so-called ‘right to a
family life’.
Re: Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:25am On Nov 09, 2014
I wholly agree. This is why I stopped giving to charities and hate those that "help" Africans. They are scum.

1 Like

Re: Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by bossminded: 2:33am On Nov 12, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:
I wholly agree. This is why I stopped giving to charities and hate those that "help" Africans. They are scum.

If Africans are scum then ur father or ur father's father or ur father's father's father that happens to have an Africa heritage is what?
Re: Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by Omexonomy: 4:22am On Nov 12, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:
please kindly stop all these ur yeye hatred on fellow africans. What will it cost you to if you give N5 to begger or contribute N500 to motherless baby home and home for the aged
Re: Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by Nobody: 5:30am On Nov 12, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:
They only encourage laziness and mediocrity. Stop the aid to Africa. It only goes into the coffers of the rich.
Re: Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by Nobody: 5:31am On Nov 12, 2014
Omexonomy:
please kindly stop all these ur yeye hatred on fellow africans. What will it cost you to if you give N5 to begger or contribute N500 to motherless baby home and home for the aged
It costs the beggar much more. His sense of self-respect being one of them.

1 Like

Re: Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by Nobody: 5:31am On Nov 12, 2014
bossminded:

If Africans are scum then ur father or ur father's father or ur father's father's father that happens to have an Africa heritage is what?

Slaves.
Re: Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by EvilBrain1(m): 6:03am On Nov 12, 2014
The problem with giving to beggers is that it encourages people to take advantage and become professional parasites. You see a lot of that up north where Islam has legitimised that lifestyle.

I strongly believe that people should work for their food. Any charity we give should be aimed towards converting the beggers into productive members of society. Most people with disabilities can be useful in some way, they just need help finding their niche. And able bodied people who want live off charity instead of hustling like the rest of us deserve to starve.

But this idea that many beggers have that they are somehow entitled to my hard earned money, or that I'm a bad person for not giving them something is nonsense.

4 Likes

Re: Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by bossminded: 7:06am On Nov 12, 2014
sonOfLucifer:

Slaves.

If dy re slaves that means u are a slave too, once a slave always a slave, na dog dy born dog...... that means u re less of a human, u re a creature to be tamed and put to work, u have no right, no heritage, no sense of belonging and u shld be seen an treated in that light (that is what is slaves her, I didn't say it I read it in some book)

And such should also be the fate of barak obama..lol

Mr sonoflucifer if u have to just think twice u wuld be d smartest person in ur house
Re: Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by OasisofRefuge(f): 7:15am On Nov 12, 2014
helping someone in need who can not afford to help himself at that time is not wrong at all. its kindness.
but continuously give to a particular person who have all it takes to make money on his own, but wont is wrong. because you are encouraging him to be lazy.

2 Likes

Re: Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:22am On Nov 12, 2014
bossminded:

SMH. Ask for a refund of your tuition.
Re: Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:23am On Nov 12, 2014
Omexonomy:

A lot of free education peeps here.
Re: Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:26am On Nov 12, 2014
For those that lack understanding, let me state that I am an African. I hate charities that keep fellow Africans in poverty by giving them free money.
Re: Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by Kay17: 2:45pm On Nov 12, 2014
What is wrong? the means of providing help or the help itself?
Re: Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by AlfaSeltzer(m): 3:46pm On Nov 12, 2014
Kay17:
What is wrong? the means of providing help or the help itself?

both.

If your parents carried you around all the time, you would never have walked.
Re: Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by Kay17: 4:19pm On Nov 12, 2014
AlfaSeltzer:

both.

If your parents carried you around all the time, you would never have walked.

It is strange to condemn the few helpers and empathizers we have in the world by saying help itself is ironically harmful.
Re: Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by AlfaSeltzer(m): 4:34pm On Nov 12, 2014
Kay17:

It is strange to condemn the few helpers and empathizers we have in the world by saying help itself is ironically harmful.

Help to do what exactly?
Re: Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by Kay17: 11:42pm On Nov 12, 2014
^^

The word 'help' is self explanatory enough! There isn't much I can say about 'help' other than it connotes assistance, support, etc.
Re: Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by dein77(m): 3:52pm On Nov 14, 2014
I agree. Continuously giving to persons who aren't willing to do anything productive is simply to encourage them being lazy.

That won't stop from assisting people who are genuinely in need..
Re: Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by okeke00(m): 6:06pm On Nov 14, 2014
what of those ones that comes to motor parks to pray for travellers and will later ask them to doe a seed. is that also the part of begging?
Re: Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by EvilBrain1(m): 11:20am On Nov 16, 2014
okeke00:
what of those ones that comes to motor parks to pray for travellers and will later ask them to doe a seed. is that also the part of begging?

Yes it is begging.

Prayers don't work so they are just making noise and embarrassing travelers. They are a nuisance and the authorities need to get rid of them.
Re: Giving Money To Beggars Isn’t Kindness, It’scruelty by Femmymata2(m): 4:19pm On Nov 16, 2014
Does God or church fall under this begging group, they keep asking all the time.

(1) (Reply)

Clothing That Can Lead To Hell Fire / The Lost Ten Tribes Of Isreal Identified / John Piper- Christian Unity(must Read For All NL Christians)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.